ADVERTISEMENT

Gelon

Did any of those other programs have a 20 year stall? No. IU is on the way back up, so you aren't comparing like for like.

As for Kansas, you are wrong. A few years back they signed 1 star Mervyn Lindsay. They also signed Kevin Young, no stars.

North Carolina signed Stilmann White, a 1 star.

How did IU do a few months ago against Kentucky and all of their 5 star kids?
So how did Lindsay, Young and White do at their respective schools? Stats per year appreciated if you have access to them.
IU beat UK, and our 2 MCD AAs played really well in that game.
Doesn't signing the wrong players contribute to a "20 year stall".

Reactions: thoops7
the other rub on the Gelon recruitment is not about Gelon..Its that Crean simply pulled the trigger way too early on that schollie. Had it come down to Gelon after all options were exhausted...an entirely different attitude would have emerged on this board.

You need to read the definition again and then read some of your own posts. There is a big difference between wanting the program to be elite and constantly bitching about everything you do not like about the program. The latter is the definition of negativity.
The only constant is your and others defense of modest standards of success. You guys are happy with S16's and first round BTT losses. The negativity you guys see is actually the high standard that some of us want.

So how did Lindsay, Young and White do at their respective schools? Stats per year appreciated if you have access to them.
Were those scholarship players or preferred walk ons?

And constantly bitching about the program is not negativity?

neg·a·tiv·i·ty
ˌneɡəˈtivədē/
noun
  1. the expression of criticism of or pessimism about something.
IU Scott is more of a Realist then anything else
IU Scott constantly tells people here what IU can't do or isn't capable of doing. That's a loser's mentality that you and he and the guy who claimed he worked at IU espouse. You're happy with less.

Last edited:
IU Scott constantly tells people here what IU can't do or isn't capable of doing. That's a loser's mentalityI that you and he and the guy who claimed he worked at IU espouse. You're happy with less.
If he constantly tells people what IU is not capable of doing...how is he happy with less? If you hear a siren...its the logic police in your rear view mirror.....

the other rub on the Gelon recruitment is not about Gelon..Its that Crean simply pulled the trigger way too early on that schollie. Had it come down to Gelon after all options were exhausted...an entirely different attitude would have emerged on this board.
You do remember how we waited to the last minute to get Priller and April. I think if you go back and look you will find people were not any happier then they are with the Gelon recruitment and we waited till all other options were exhausted!

If he constantly tells people what IU is not capable of doing...how is he happy with less? If you hear a siren...its the logic police in your rear view mirror.....
He's lowering expectations by saying IU can't achieve at a high level. Not sure what you're talking about. Lol.

IU Scott constantly tells people here what IU can't do or isn't capable of doing. That's a loser's mentality that you and he and the guy who claimed he worked at IU espouse. You're happy with less.
He is a realist and you are an idealist. Nothing wrong with either of you it is just who you are. You are not a loser simply because you are a realist. I want to win every contest I or my team are in but I realized a long time ago, through Professional Gambling activity, that you have to be able to accept losing to be able to win in the long run.

Reactions: becauseIknow
He's lowering expectations by saying IU can't achieve at a high level. Not sure what you're talking about. Lol.
No he is being real about the current situation but that does not mean he does not want to see better in the future.

He is a realist and you are a negative idealist. Nothing wrong with either of you it is just who you are. You are not a loser simply because you are a realist. I want to win every contest I or my team are in but I realized a long time ago, through Professional Gambling activity, that you have to be able to accept losing to be able to win in the long run.
He's defined the limit of IU's capabilities, so he'll be happy with the limited successes IU achieves. He's happy with "good"'because "good" is all he thinks they're capable of. Some of us want and believe that "great" can be attained. He and others do not. That's the difference.

No he is being real about the current situation but that does not mean he does not want to see better in the future.
Scott has set a ceiling for IU. Many, many times he has criticized posters for wanting IU to be better than they have been..."we've never done that so we shouldn't expect it" is his common refrain

He's the kinda friend that tells you don't need to get in shape because you've always been out of shape

Reactions: hgdownunder
He's defined the limit of IU's capabilities, so he'll be happy with the limited successes IU achieves. He's happy with "good"'because "good" is all he thinks they're capable of. Some of us want and believe that "great" can be attained. He and others do not. That's the difference.
This is you : a person who represents things as they might or should be rather than as they are:
This is him : a person who tends to view or represent things as they really are.

You are just two different people. One accepts things as they are happening now and one does not. Does not mean that both of you do not want the same thing in the long run. He is willing to give it time and you want it now! The problem is it is very difficult for an idealist and a realist to ever agree because they are polar opposites.

Reactions: becauseIknow

The 20 year stall started with Bob Knight. Yes, Crean has made some recruiting mistakes, but he has also had to deal with recruiting into a 20 year stall that none of those other coaches had to.

Thank you, yes IU beat UK and all of their 5 star players. More than just our McDonald's All Americans played well. Great team victory.

Mervyn Lindsay was a 1 star recruit signed by KU (he was rated 1 star by Scout, 2 stars by others). He transferred after his first year to New Mexico after only playing one year. Two years ago, he transferred again to Texas Wesleyan. He was not a preferred walk on

Stilman White, a 1 star recruit for North Carolina (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/130249/stilman-white) and given a scholarship offer out of high school. After his freshman year, he went on his Mormon mission and then returned to the team. http://www.tarheelblog.com/2014/5/20/5734406/unc-announces-stilman-white-has-returned-to-the-team

This is you : a person who represents things as they might or should be rather than as they are:
This is him : a person who tends to view or represent things as they really are.

You are just two different people. One accepts things as they are happening now and one does not. Does not mean that both of you do not want the same thing in the long run. He is willing to give it time and you want it now! The problem is it is very difficult for an idealist and a realist to ever agree because they are polar opposites.
Scott thinks since we aren't elite we shouldn't aspire to be

Spa thinks that even though things aren't terrible we have the potential to be much better so we should do whatever it takes to make that happen

That's seems to be what you're saying, and you and Scott have the wrong point of view

Scott has set a ceiling for IU. Many, many times he has criticized posters for wanting IU to be better than they have been..."we've never done that so we shouldn't expect it" is his common refrain

He's the kinda friend that tells you don't need to get in shape because you've always been out of shape

What a ridiculous comparison.

You're the kind of guy that wants a coach fired every 4 years for not meeting an expectation that has never happened here and then blames others for stating the obvious while you believe in unicorns and mermaids.

You're the kind of guy that wants a coach fired every 4 years for not meeting an expectation that has never happened here and then blames others for stating the obvious while you believe in unicorns and mermaids.
We are going on year 4?

I realize you need to concoct that explanation because it best fits your narrative, but you really don't have even a remotely accurate view of this. Scott has defined the ceiling, and he truly doesn't believe anything else can be accomplished. In his mind, if it's never been done or the occurrence has been rare, it can't be done. Others of us aspire to much higher levels of success. It's a completely different mentality that you obviously can't comprehend.

Reactions: Shirtsandskins

But you're the kind of guy who believes that 17 years with one fluke Final Four is an example f great coaching. Snicker.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
[
I realize you need to concoct that explanation because it best fits your narrative, but you really don't have even a remotely accurate view of this. Scott has defined the ceiling, and he truly doesn't believe anything else can be accomplished. In his mind, if it's never been done or the occurrence has been rare, it can't be done. Others of us aspire to much higher levels of success. It's a completely different mentality that you obviously can't comprehend.
I think if you had a nice conversation with IU Scott and actually listened to him you would find out I am right about his feelings. I am a realist myself but you are wrong about people like me not aspiring to much higher success levels. I know nothing about you or your life but I would put my level of success in life up against yours and feel confident that I would stack up very well.

Did any of those other programs have a 20 year stall? No. IU is on the way back up, so you aren't comparing like for like.

As for Kansas, you are wrong. A few years back they signed 1 star Mervyn Lindsay. They also signed Kevin Young, no stars.

North Carolina signed Stilmann White, a 1 star.

How did IU do a few months ago against Kentucky and all of their 5 star kids?
I
Ok, I did a little research. Kevin Young was a Rivals 3 star, class of 2008 that started out at LMU, transferred to a JC and then on to Kansas. He played in 38-39 games for Kansas. The point is , he is a 3 star that Kansas waited and watched for 3 years in college before he came on board.
Mervyn Lindsay was a Rivals 3 star in class of 2011. He played VERY little as a frosh and then transferred to New Mexico. He. then transferred out of NMU.
Mervyn Lindsay F 6'6" 180
Moreno Valley, CA

Stillman White was a Rivals 3 star in class of 2011. Last year he played in 18 games for a total of thirty minutes and scored 3 points, total. The year before he played in 9 games for 23 minutes and did not score.
Stilman White G 6'0" 170
Wilmington, NC
N. Carolina

Grant Gelon is a rivals 2 star, that CTC signed BEFORE his senior season, having watched him in a couple of AAU games. GG had a pedestrian season of 14.5 ppg and shot 38% from 3. He was not the best player on his own team. Little athleticism, he struggled against decent HS competition.

These are the facts. I hope GG proves me wrong next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rakkasan29
I'm using ridiculous comparisons and analogies like you are. I do know this, the last 5 years is the best 5 year run at IU since RMK decided to take the last half dozen years off to coast.
I love that you guys keep using this comparison it gives me a chance to compliment TC and show that I'm balanced in views

Yes, TCs cherry picked five years, is better than IUs worst stretch since the WWI era....yaaay TC!

I
Ok, I did a little research. Kevin Young was a Rivals 3 star, class of 2008 that started out at LMU, transferred to a JC and then on to Kansas. He played in 38-39 games for Kansas. The point is , he is a 3 star that Kansas waited and watched for 3 years in college before he came on board. dsay was Mervyn Lindsay was a Rivals 3 star in class of 2011. He played VERY little as a frosh and then transferred to New Mexico. He. then transferred out of NMU.
Mervyn Lindsay F 6'6" 180
Moreno Valley, CA
Because, loves to make crap up, he got slammed trying this junk last wkend

Spa thinks that even though things aren't terrible we have the potential to be much better so we should do whatever it takes to make that happen

That's seems to be what you're saying, and you and Scott have the wrong point of view
Of course we do because they are not the same viewpoint you have as an idealist. I believe the word for believing you are right and all others who think differently are wrong is arrogant.

If you read Glass' comments, they're different from your more modest expectations, but they've very consistent with those of us who want the program to succeed at a high level. You're well known here for telling everyone all the things IU can't do or shouldn't expect to do, and that's fine. Bit Glass, and many of us, what more than to be above average (your goal). Your negativity works great for you, though.
I want to win championships as much as anyone and I have been alive for 3 of those championships. There is a difference from wanting and expecting them and to expect Iu to be like the other elite programs like UK or Duke is not realistic to me and you guys are going to be disappointed more times than not. I use to be like you guys where I use to let ever loss kill me and could not get over them and took it personally. I grew up and realized that the outcome of a game is not that important where I had to be negative all the time.

Are my descriptions incorrect?
Yes!!!!
Scott knows we are not elite at this time and accepts that but is willing to give time for the change to occur.
Spa wants us to be elite now and will accept nothing less in the mean time.
Scott and I are not wrong, we just do not look at the situation the same way as Spa who is also not wrong.
It is simply just who we are and how we think.

The only constant is your and others defense of modest standards of success. You guys are happy with S16's and first round BTT losses. The negativity you guys see is actually the high standard that some of us want.
Where have we said we are content with sweet 16's but we just do't let an outcome of a game ruin our day or our prospective.

Yes!!!!
Scott knows we are not elite at this time and accepts that but is willing to give time for the change to occur.
Spa wants us to be elite now and will accept nothing less in the mean time.
Scott and I are not wrong, we just do not look at the situation the same way as Spa who is also not wrong.
It is simply just who we are and how we think.
You obviously don't read Scott's posts

Like I said he is constantly saying how if we haven't done it, we shouldn't aspire for it....you can't expect to do something that you haven't done before

Bett, just one poster to another, but the tone of your posts indicates high levels of stress. I think you are taking things waaaay to seriously

How has your bitching and moaning about the situation help the cause. We all want to be elite but some have some perspective on things and don't have to cry in our spilled milk every day showing our unhappiness. I am not happy just getting to the sweet 16 but there is nothing you or I can do about it so why be miserable about the situation.

I want to win championships as much as anyone and I have been alive for 3 of those championships. There is a difference from wanting and expecting them and to expect Iu to be like the other elite programs like UK or Duke is not realistic to me and you guys are going to be disappointed more times than not. I use to be like you guys where I use to let ever loss kill me and could not get over them and took it personally. I grew up and realized that the outcome of a game is not that important where I had to be negative all the time.
You've accepted lower standards, as you outline in this post. That's fine, but many of us have both higher desires and expectations for the program than do you. Maybe, as you said, your settling is a product of your inability to put the results of losses into proper perspective, and part of your maturation process was simply to lower your expectations. Good for you. Most of us likely didn't have your problems, however so we weren't "forced" to address things as did you. Losses never killed me, nor did I ever take them personally, but I can see why such an issue would cause you to change so radically.

Like I said, he is a realist. He wants us to be better in the long run but will accept what is happening now. Maybe it is our age that makes us think this way since I too have been alive for those 3 championships. You get a lot of insight from watching the rise and fall of IU Basketball over 4 decades. You also get a lot of anguish!

Wanting us to be elite is not negative but bitching and moaning every day is negative.
Not sure why you're commenting . . . You've already said IU can't be elite. That's the negative and limiting attitude that you struggle with.

I never criticized anyone for wanting more since I want more as well but I criticized for the constant negativity that some of you show every day.

I never criticized anyone for wanting more since I want more as well but I criticized for the constant negativity that some of you show every day.
You're far and away the most negative poster here. Do you not compete in any athletics at your school or factory?

Last edited:

We should expire to be great but to expect something that has never happened is setting you up for disappointment. Of course things can and should be better and the only difference is that some are patient and some are not. Some of us can see things getting better and starting to see an upswing where others can't or don't want to see it.

We should expire to be great but to expect something that has never happened is setting you up for disappointment. Of course things can and should be better and the only difference is that some are patient and some are not. Some of us can see things getting better and starting to see an upswing where others can't or don't want to see it.
I was hoping I was on your ignore list

But what you just said is quite a bit different than you have repeated ad nauseam for the last couple of years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT