ADVERTISEMENT

Gelon

I never criticized anyone for wanting more since I want more as well but I criticized for the constant negativity that some of you show every day.
Thanks for being the negativity police, I sleep better knowing you are here fighting the good fight....except for when you were calling for TC to be fired, other than that good job

Not sure why you're commenting . . . You've already said IU can't be elite. That's the negative and limiting attitude that you struggle with.
We have had many elite seasons but not been a constant elite program. Like I have sad many times I want us to reach that level but to EXPECT meaning you think is will happen is unrealistic. As for commenting on this I have ever right to my opinion just like you have the right to your opinion. I have never said you don't have the right to an opinion and never criticized you for the opinion but criticized how you go about expressing that opinion.

We should expire to be great but to expect something that has never happened is setting you up for disappointment. Of course things can and should be better and the only difference is that some are patient and some are not. Some of us can see things getting better and starting to see an upswing where others can't or don't want to see it.
Expectations are one the key components to results. Those who expect more (and infuse their efforts with those expectations) nearly always get better results than those with lower expectations. It's fundamental in virtually any endeavor.

BecauseIknow, I beg to differ, as I did a little research. This info is the actual facts, per Rivals.
Kevin Young was a Rivals 3 star, class of 2008 that started out at LMU, transferred to a JC and then on to Kansas. He played in 38-39 games for Kansas. The point is , he is a 3 star that Kansas waited and watched for 3 years in college before he came on board.

Mervyn Lindsay was a Rivals 3 star in class of 2011. He played VERY little as a frosh and then transferred to New Mexico. He. then transferred out of NMU.
Mervyn Lindsay F 6'6" 180
Moreno Valley, CA

Stillman White was a Rivals 3 star in class of 2011. Last year he played in 18 games for a total of thirty minutes and scored 3 points, total. The year before he played in 9 games for 23 minutes and did not score.
Stilman White G 6'0" 170
Wilmington, NC
N. Carolina

Grant Gelon is a rivals 2 star, that CTC signed BEFORE his senior season, having watched him in a couple of AAU games. Had CTC signed him as a last resort late in the spring, the uproar may be a little, and just a little, bit muted. There was NO reason to accept a commitment from GG prior to the season, as he had no offers from a major school. Since you are picking and choosing the rating sites, GG is unrated on several of the sites. GG had a pedestrian season of 14.5 ppg and shot 38% from 3. He was not the best player on his own team. Little athleticism, he struggled against decent HS competition.

These are the facts. I hope GG proves me wrong next season.[/QUOTE]

We have had many elite seasons but not been a constant elite program. Like I have sad many times I want us to reach that level but to EXPECT meaning you think is will happen is unrealistic. As for commenting on this I have ever right to my opinion just like you have the right to your opinion. I have never said you don't have the right to an opinion and never criticized you for the opinion but criticized how you go about expressing that opinion.
No one has ever questioned your right to comment, Scott, only the content of your posts, which are often very unintelligent and difficult to read. And I realize you believe it's unrealistic to believe IU should be successful in basketball at an elite level. You already made it clear that you're satisfied aiming lower.

You obviously don't read Scott's posts

Like I said he is constantly saying how if we haven't done it, we shouldn't aspire for it....you can't expect to do something that you haven't done before

Bett, just one poster to another, but the tone of your posts indicates high levels of stress. I think you are taking things waaaay to seriously
If you think this is stressful then you would be wrong. Losing 20 bets in a row is stress. Not knowing when your next winning bet will come is stress. Failing to save the life of a critically ill patient is stress. Writing on this forum is childs play!!!!!!
Maybe you ought to read his last few posts very carefully and then reflect on what I have said about realists

You're far and away the most negative poster here. Do you not compete in any athletics at your school or factory?
I played basketball and baseball for many years and won plenty of championships along the way.. i played 17 year sin a church league with former small college players and was on teams that won 8 championships in those 17 years. In 5 years of little league I finished 1st 2 times and runner u 2 times so I have been on winning teams. Also i was just not a bit player on those teams because I started on them and were one of the top scorers on those basketball teams.

i guess I have changed over the years because when I was younger I was to competetive where I made it miserable to be around me when I did not win. if my team loss in anything I use to be a baby about it and let everyone on my team know about it.

One other thing I don't work for a factory but if I did there is nothing wrong with that because my dad made a pretty good living while working for Ford. Why be so arrogant and condescending about wht kind of a job someone has.

If you think this is stressful then you would be wrong. Losing 20 bets in a row is stress. Not knowing when your next winning bet will come is stress. Failing to save the life of a critically ill patient is stress. Writing on this forum is childs play!!!!!!
Maybe you ought to read his last few posts very carefully and then reflect on what I have said about realists
I have read his last few posts and he is changing his tone in reply to our remarks regarding his posts

Addicted gambler and working with critically ill patients, yeah that's a recipe for disaster

Thanks for being the negativity police, I sleep better knowing you are here fighting the good fight....except for when you were calling for TC to be fired, other than that good job
yes I called for his firing after all the off the court things and after the Duke loss but i saw a good change since those things happened. Also if Glass came out today and fired him i would be alright with that decision because it does not really natter to me who the coach is.

Expectations are one the key components to results. Those who expect more (and infuse their efforts with those expectations) nearly always get better results than those with lower expectations. It's fundamental in virtually any endeavor.
if I really thought what you or I thought really mattered to Glass and him making a decision i would probably be right with you complaining daily on here. See I am not 100% sold on Crean either and think he might not be the right coach but I just don't see what good it does to be constantly negative about him as well. In my opinion I think the negative on this board could be part of the problem when it comes to the recruiting lately.

yes I called for his firing after all the off the court things and after the Duke loss but i saw a good change since those things happened. Also if Glass came out today and fired him i would be alright with that decision because it does not really natter to me who the coach is.
Then why do you care if some think we can do better

No one has ever questioned your right to comment, Scott, only the content of your posts, which are often very unintelligent and difficult to read. And I realize you believe it's unrealistic to believe IU should be successful in basketball at an elite level. You already made it clear that you're satisfied aiming lower.
Do I think we can be like Duke or UK, no but I think we can be the next tier down and win championships.

I have read his last few posts and he is changing his tone in reply to our remarks regarding his posts

Addicted gambler and working with critically ill patients, yeah that's a recipe for disaster
I have not changed my tone at all because I have never said you should not have that opinion but my point is your constant negativity does not help the situation. See I use to be very negative when it came to losing but eventually I figured out it is better for me and the people around me to be calm about the situation.

We probably can do better and never said we should not strive for better but how does the constant negativity about Crean help in that situation.
Like we have discussed, we complained about TC, you complain about us....what has your complaining accomplished? Are you going to stop being the board cop?

I have not changed my tone at all because I have never said you should not have that opinion but my point is your constant negativity does not help the situation. See I use to be very negative when it came to losing but eventually I figured out it is better for me and the people around me to be calm about the situation.
BS

I played basketball and baseball for many years and won plenty of championships along the way.. i played 17 year sin a church league with former small college players and was on teams that won 8 championships in those 17 years. In 5 years of little league I finished 1st 2 times and runner u 2 times so I have been on winning teams. Also i was just not a bit player on those teams because I started on them and were one of the top scorers on those basketball teams.

i guess I have changed over the years because when I was younger I was to competetive where I made it miserable to be around me when I did not win. if my team loss in anything I use to be a baby about it and let everyone on my team know about it.

One other thing I don't work for a factory but if I did there is nothing wrong with that because my dad made a pretty good living while working for Ford. Why be so arrogant and condescending about wht kind of a job someone has.
Nothing wrong with that. We all dial it back in various ways, myself included. IU sports isn't nearly the passion for me that it used to be. As much as I'd like to see basketball succeed, I'm doubtful t ever will at a high level under Crean. To paraphrase another poster, IU paid for a Ferrari and got a Ford Focus. Nice car, for sure, but you expected much, much more.

My gambling is not an addiction and I never mixed gambling with caring for my patients. I bet on horses because I love the game and I can make good money doing so. I didn't do the betting things until after I stopped treating Patients. If I stop making money or my bankroll becomes compromised I will quit and find something else to do.
I have read many of Scott's posts over the years and many of them mirror what he is saying now. It is just hard for some who think differently to see anything but negative in the posts of people who disagree with them. Not saying that is you.

My gambling is not an addiction and I never mixed gambling with caring for my patients. I bet on horses because I love the game and I can make good money doing so. I didn't do the betting things until after I stopped treating Patients. If I stop making money or my bankroll becomes compromised I will quit and find something else to do.
I have read many of Scott's posts over the years and many of them mirror what he is saying now. It is just hard for some who think differently to see anything but negative in the posts of people who disagree with them. Not saying that is you.
If you're losing twenty in a row, well.....

If you're losing twenty in a row, well.....
Like I said you have to learn to lose if you are going to gamble. Losing streaks occur in horse racing all the time especially when you are betting horses the public does not like. Betting these horses you will lose 8 out of ten races but when you hit one it makes up for all the loses and more. Hit one $20 horse out of ten and you are even. Hit two and you have a 100% profit. If you want to make money this is the way you bet but losing streaks are inevitable. If you want to be right then bet the favorites in every race and you will be right but never make any money.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that. We all dial it back in various ways, myself included. IU sports isn't nearly the passion for me that it used to be. As much as I'd like to see basketball succeed, I'm doubtful t ever will at a high level under Crean. To paraphrase another poster, IU paid for a Ferrari and got a Ford Focus. Nice car, for sure, but you expected much, much more.
Hey i have a ford Focus. Like I have said before why trade 2014 Focus for a 2016 Focus just because of the mileage. You won;t get what you owe on that car so you will be paying more for that 2016 than you should.

I am not just talking about IU basketball but I have dialed it down in any sport I did. I had such a bad attitude that I even got t'd up in church league basketball. Playing pick up basketball with friends i would talk to much smack that people did not want to play with me anymore. I think we all take sports way to seriously and let it effect us negatively than it really should.

Hey i have a ford Focus. Like I have said before why trade 2014 Focus for a 2016 Focus just because of the mileage. You won;t get what you owe on that car so you will be paying more for that 2016 than you should.
It's a great car, but would you pay $125,000 for it? Would you expect high performance acceleration, cornering, handling and braking, with an interior and gauges, to boot? Thats the analog that is applicable to IU and Tom Crean. Decent coach who, in his best years, will achieve at a very good level. But it's not elite even though his salary is, and there's no reasonable argument that he's worth the money.

Reactions: Shirtsandskins
It's a great car, but would you pay $125,000 for it? Would you expect high performance acceleration, cornering, handling and braking, with an interior and gauges, to boot? Thats the analog that is applicable to IU and Tom Crean. Decent coach who, in his best years, will achieve at a very good level. But it's not elite even though his salary is, and there's no reasonable argument that he's worth the money.
No I wouldn't but if we make a change today we would would be trading the 2014 focus for a 2016 focus more than likely. I just don;t see Ferari out there that we can buy. Could Mack or Archie Miller become one possibly but to me they would be a 2016 Focus.

No I wouldn't but if we make a change today we would would be trading the 2014 focus for a 2016 focus more than likely. I just don;t see Ferari out there that we can buy. Could Mack or Archie Miller become one possibly but to me they would be a 2016 Focus.
I certainly agree that a move shouldn't be made if you don't have the expectation that you can do much better. A Focus for a Focus makes no sense, just as it makes no sense to keep the same car (or coach) and expect a different result. No great revelation, but wishing for your Focus to suddenly drive like a Ferrari is a recipe for disappointment. If you're cool with the Ford, great. Many people are. But you wouldn't feel very smart to pay five times more for the same car, would you?

Did any of those other programs have a 20 year stall? No. IU is on the way back up, so you aren't comparing like for like.

As for Kansas, you are wrong. A few years back they signed 1 star Mervyn Lindsay. They also signed Kevin Young, no stars.

North Carolina signed Stilmann White, a 1 star.

How did IU do a few months ago against Kentucky and all of their 5 star kids?

20 year stall?

Hell, Crean has been here for nearly HALF of that 20 year stall! At what point does he become responsible? At what point do you stop making excuses?

I certainly agree that a move shouldn't be made if you don't have the expectation that you can do much better. A Focus for a Focus makes no sense, just as it makes no sense to keep the same car (or coach) and expect a different result. No great revelation, but wishing for your Focus to suddenly drive like a Ferrari is a recipe for disappointment. If you're cool with the Ford, great. Many people are. But you wouldn't feel very smart to pay five times more for the same car, would you?
What Ferari is out there for us to buy because if there is one out there then I am in favor of making that purchase.

He is responsible for it but some think the last 5 years might be an indication we are moving in a better direction.
The last 5 years MIGHT be - just as well as it MIGHT be attributed to Cody Zeller (who's not coming back anytime soon) and winning a weak B1G RS and beating a mediocre UK squad.

This year will tell us a lot. We have inside players, but run an offense that is dribble-drive oriented without having known ball-handling.

not sure how many on this board are over 50...But here's a little history about IU's national standing. In the old days, the term "elite" wasn't used much...and I'm going back to the 70s and 80s. When IU was referenced in the national sports media and even in ACC country, we were referred to as "powerhouse Indiana" regularly. IU was genuinely respected as feared as an opponent. Times have changed...now we all get measured against the "elites". I would welcome back "powerhouse Indiana" in a heartbeat.

The last 5 years MIGHT be - just as well as it MIGHT be attributed to Cody Zeller (who's not coming back anytime soon) and winning a weak B1G RS and beating a mediocre UK squad.

This year will tell us a lot. We have inside players, but run an offense that is dribble-drive oriented without having known ball-handling.
One sees the positive the other sees the negative. Is the glass half full or half empty and I would rather live my life seeing the positive.

s
I'm a little surprised looking at the stat sheet that Gelon last in minutes vs. the junior all stars. I would think him being an IU recruit would be worth more than that.
Some of you guys keep talking about someone else's expectations, like you're in a position to read minds. Below is the only writing worth reading about someone else expectations:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Expectations

Last edited:
BecauseIknow, I beg to differ, as I did a little research. This info is the actual facts, per Rivals.
Kevin Young was a Rivals 3 star, class of 2008 that started out at LMU, transferred to a JC and then on to Kansas. He played in 38-39 games for Kansas. The point is , he is a 3 star that Kansas waited and watched for 3 years in college before he came on board.

Mervyn Lindsay was a Rivals 3 star in class of 2011. He played VERY little as a frosh and then transferred to New Mexico. He. then transferred out of NMU.
Mervyn Lindsay F 6'6" 180
Moreno Valley, CA

Stillman White was a Rivals 3 star in class of 2011. Last year he played in 18 games for a total of thirty minutes and scored 3 points, total. The year before he played in 9 games for 23 minutes and did not score.
Stilman White G 6'0" 170
Wilmington, NC
N. Carolina

Grant Gelon is a rivals 2 star, that CTC signed BEFORE his senior season, having watched him in a couple of AAU games. Had CTC signed him as a last resort late in the spring, the uproar may be a little, and just a little, bit muted. There was NO reason to accept a commitment from GG prior to the season, as he had no offers from a major school. Since you are picking and choosing the rating sites, GG is unrated on several of the sites. GG had a pedestrian season of 14.5 ppg and shot 38% from 3. He was not the best player on his own team. Little athleticism, he struggled against decent HS competition.

These are the facts. I hope GG proves me wrong next season.

Jimmygoiu, I can also do research. These are ALSO FACTS

Mervyn Lindsay, 1 star recruit. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/64250/mervyn-lindsay

and, Mervyn Lindsay, 0 stars / not rated. http://kansas.247sports.com/Season/2011-Basketball/Commits

Stilman White, 1 star recruit. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/130249/stilman-white

Grant Gelon, 3 star recruit. http://247sports.com/Player/Grant-Gelon-85635

Or, Grant Gelon, 3 star recruit http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/216288/grant-gelon

Nothing I said was wrong.

Is Gelon a 3 star recruit? Yes, by some services. Was Lindsay a 1 star or 0 star recruit by some major services? Yes, but KU took him anyway. Was Stilman White a 1 star recruit? Yes, but UNC took him anyway.

So back to the claim that those schools don't take kids like Gelon. Yes they do, and even worse by rating. Good day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT