ADVERTISEMENT

Fred Glass

Glass gave Wilson about a dozen different chances regarding his off the field issues. He kept that very quiet and tried to help him out. The injury stuff and opening up the university to lawsuits...yeah that’s going to get you fired.
Then why did he extend him at a doubling of his compensation when he should’ve known better? As usual, you have zero credibility here.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Glass made two crappy hires in football and oversees the lowest paid coaching staff in the Big Ten. He is running the most lucrative program for an athletics department on a shoestring budget. He hired a crappy Purdue grad women’s basketball coach who squandered the momentum Curt Miller had built. He kept Crean three years too long and refused to go out and get a game changing coach, settling for a mid major guy. Alabama and Texas A&M didn’t settle for mid major coaches in football. They went out, got the money, and reached for the stars.

Simply put, Fred Glass settles for mediocrity and has no pressure to strive for success given that McRobbie is indifferent toward sports.

Look at the state of basketball and football. The football team went 5-7 and the basketball team is going to miss the NCAA tournament for the second straight season. This is year eight of the Fred Glass tenure and we are rebuilding in both sports. Unacceptable.
Wait, what? The budget has increased substantially since he has been in charge, but there’s a reason it’s still the second smallest in the big ten. It’s because people don’t buy football tickets, although attendance is up. Everyone in the conference gets TV money, but when pretty much everyone else dwarfs our football attendance, we’re going to have a smaller budget. Where is this magical money coming from? This isn’t a video game.

Glass did not hire Crean. That was Greenspan. And holy crap, are you seriously complaining about Archie Miller? He’s been like the hottest young coaching name in college basketball for a few years now. You are way out in left field on this one. We are also in the best stretch of football that we have seen in probably 25 years. Yes, that’s not saying a ton, but when the program was neglected for decades, it takes a while to progress. Progress is good. They’re competing and have good facilities now.

As for women’s basketball, I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about. Who are you referring to? The coach that went to coach at Purdue after being here for one year? She was before Miller. Or are you referring to our current coach, Teri Moren, who just brought in our first five-star recruit probably ever, took us to two consecutive postseason appearances for probably the first time ever, and who literally got us our second all-time NCAA tournament win in the history of the program? If you’re complaining about her, may I ask why? She’s already accomplished more than Miller, who got himself fired for misconduct.

Last edited:
Reactions: minneman
Glass gave Wilson about a dozen different chances regarding his off the field issues. He kept that very quiet and tried to help him out. The injury stuff and opening up the university to lawsuits...yeah that’s going to get you fired.

If this is true, it makes Glass look even more incompetent after signing him to an extension.

I know the B1G is an excellent conference in women's volleyball, but given the number of college prospects that come out of the state, IU should be competitive in the Big Ten.
Yep. New coach is coming. Hopefully the arena will help.

If this is true, it makes Glass look even more incompetent, after signing him to an extension.
Well whatever, but have you been under a rock or something? Everyone in Bloomington knew about KW’s off the field issues.

IU hasn't had one winning season in football during Glass's tenure. On what planet is that an amazing job? I realize IU isn't going to be Bama or OSU in football, but the expectations should be for IU to have some winning seasons and win 45-50% of their games. Every other Big Ten school has had at least 1 winning season, since Glass took over, but IU.

Raise your standards. It's pathetic that IU fans and alum have such low expectations for football. We can do better. If Rutgers, Northwestern, Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois and Maryland can do it, IU can, as well. Great A.D.'s turn around programs. Alvarez is a perfect example of that at Wisconsin. What he has done in Basketball and Football is amazing.

Basketball has been nothing short of a dumpster fire since he has taken over. Crean should have been fired after year 3. Glass would have taken a lot of heat for it, but he would have also been correct . It was clear then that Crean wasn't a great coach. I don't think it's necessarily a strike against Fred, but a great A.D. would have. After year 6 it should have been a no brainer, but not Fred, he still wanted to keep him after last year.

I am not going to address the rest of the sports, because if you are failing in football and basketball you shouldn't have a job anymore as the A.D. at IU. They are the two premiere programs at IU.

Fred gets paid a lot of money to be the A.D. and it's an extremely coveted job. As fans and alums it should be important to us to hold him to an extremely high standard. This isn't attack on you or anyone, I just love Indiana and am passionate about it improving in areas of weakness (football) and maintaining greatness in basketball.
Yeah, and he’s a fan and grew up a fan. He’s been going to football and basketball games since the 70s. I don’t really see any reason why I am supposed to believe that you care anymore than him, the difference is that he actually has to do the job while you sit behind a computer and spend hypothetical money.

We are the losingest program in the history of college football. We are improving. It’s going to take a while.

Well whatever, but have you been under a rock or something? Everyone in Bloomington knew about KW’s off the field issues.

And again you provide more information that makes Glass look like an idiot and unfit to be the A.D. at IU. Why are you sticking up for him, again?

Donovan, Few, and Wright are three off the top of my head.
Just to clear this up for me, you’re actually upset with hiring Archie Miller? For real? Because this just makes our fans look like complete morons. He’s been the hottest coaching name for a few years now. He’s turned down other power 5 jobs. He has everything our supposedly intelligent fans claim to want and claim to love about Bob Knight (who has actually repeatedly stated that he likes Archie and thinks AM will do well here). But he is somehow not good enough? After 10 games?

Few has stated over and over again that he has no desire to leave the West Coast. Donovan isn’t leaving the NBA. Wright? Really? The same coach that just won the national championship at Villanova? Where’s he going? Why would he leave?

Last edited:
So you just want to continue to accept it? It's ok to suck, because we have in the past?
Sweet Jesus people, he just fired the volleyball coach. He fired the softball coach this summer. The softball team just got a new stadium a couple of years ago, and the volleyball team is getting a new arena next year. He is actively trying to correct decades of ignoring those sports. He’s literally doing what you want him to do, the problem is that you’re oblivious to this and simply want to complain about something that you think isn’t occurring even though it is.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
You know it’s one thing to complain about something, and there’s certainly plenty of valid criticisms to make, but my biggest beef with this board is that people usually simply have no idea what they’re talking about. At all. You have people ranting about women’s basketball and yet they seemingly have no idea who the coach even is. Or the fact that said coach is literally doing things that no other coach here has done. You have people complaining about accepting losing in volleyball and softball and never making changes, even though the AD is literally doing exactly what you’re saying they are not doing. And I don’t even think Glass hired either of those coaches that he just fired; I know for a fact that he did not hire the volleyball coach. It’s maddening. If you’re going to complain about something not being done, you should probably actually take like five seconds to check and see if it’s actually being done.

And the fact that people are actually upset about the Archie Miller hire after 10 games is just mind-numbingly stupid. And then we’ve got ordfan 15.0 trolling the board again, who I’m pretty sure actually has ANOTHER user name that is also active...

You know it’s one thing to complain about something, and there’s certainly plenty of valid criticisms to make, but my biggest beef with this board is that people usually simply have no idea what they’re talking about. At all. You have people ranting about women’s basketball and yet they seemingly have no idea who the coach even is. Or the fact that said coach is literally doing things that no other coach here has done. You have people complaining about accepting losing in volleyball and softball and never making changes, even though the AD is literally doing exactly what you’re saying they are not doing. And I don’t even think Glass hired either of those coaches that he just fired; I know for a fact that he did not hire the volleyball coach. It’s maddening. If you’re going to complain about something not being done, you should probably actually take like five seconds to check and see if it’s actually being done.

And the fact that people are actually upset about the Archie Miller hire after 10 games is just mind-numbingly stupid. And then we’ve got ordfan 15.0 trolling the board again, who I’m pretty sure actually has ANOTHER user name that is also active...
And yet you continue to have zero credibility on these issues. Your responses are laughably ignorant, as usual.

I can only repeat what I have already said in this thread. He made a crappy hire in Wilson who showed what an a$$ he is his first week on the job. Glass refused to do a national coaching search for Wilson’s replacement, instead hiring a neophyte defensive coordinator and giving him and his assistants the lowest salaries in the conference.

Glass gave Crean an extension based off of a preseason ranking and didn’t fire him after an embarrassing 17-15 record in 2013-14. Even after the off court incidents piled up Glass did nothing. His inaction allowed Crean to drive our program into the ground and permanently damage our brand.

IU could easily find an AD that knows how to fundraise AND hire good coaches. Glass is clueless in the latter area.

Just to clear this up for me, you’re actually upset with hiring Archie Miller? For real? Because this just makes our fans look like complete morons. He’s been the hottest coaching name for a few years now. He’s turned down other power 5 jobs. He has everything our supposedly intelligent fans claim to want and claim to love about Bob Knight (who has actually repeatedly stated that he like Archie and thinks AM will do well here). But he is somehow not good enough? After 10 games?

Few has stated over and over again that he has no desire to leave the West Coast. Donovan isn’t leaving the NBA. Wright? Really? The same coach that just won the national championship at Villanova? Where’s he going? Why would he leave?

Context matters. If you're going to imply I am moron at least take the time to read the thread and address the point I was making. I like Archie and think he is going to be a really good coach, but he wasn't a great hire. A great hire would have been hiring a coach who has already proven they are elite. Few, Wright, and Billy D. were three examples off of the top of my head. Also, quit quoting what coaches say in public forums. Every damn coach says they are not leaving their current job, because they would be idiots to say anything else.

Last edited:
That’s patentły false. How many ADs do you actually pay attention to?
What does that question even mean? Pay attention to? I don't follow your question.

I know AD's put 99% into other things but they are judged on the 1% time commitment which is hiring great coaches.

"The best executive is one who has sense enough to pick good people to do what he wants done, and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with them while they do it."
- Theodore Roosevelt

Reactions: IUgradman
Wait, what? The budget has increased substantially since he has been in charge, but there’s a reason it’s still the second smallest in the big ten. It’s because people don’t buy football tickets, although attendance is up. Everyone in the conference gets TV money, but when pretty much everyone else dwarfs our football attendance, we’re going to have a smaller budget. Where is this magical money coming from? This isn’t a video game.

Glass did not hire Crean. That was Greenspan. And holy crap, are you seriously complaining about Archie Miller? He’s been like the hottest young coaching name in college basketball for a few years now. You are way out in left field on this one. We are also in the best stretch of football that we have seen in probably 25 years. Yes, that’s not saying a ton, but when the program was neglected for decades, it takes a while to progress. Progress is good. They’re competing and have good facilities now.

As for women’s basketball, I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about. Who are you referring to? The coach that went to coach at Purdue after being here for one year? She was before Miller. Or are you referring to our current coach, Teri Moren, who just brought in our first five-star recruit probably ever, took us to two consecutive postseason appearances for probably the first time ever, and who literally got us our second all-time NCAA tournament win in the history of the program? If you’re complaining about her, may I ask why? She’s already accomplished more than Miller, who got himself fired for misconduct.
9 years. It took 9 years and a lot of outside influence for Glass to let go of Crean. That alone should be a firable offense.

Just to clear this up for me, you’re actually upset with hiring Archie Miller? For real? Because this just makes our fans look like complete morons. He’s been the hottest coaching name for a few years now. He’s turned down other power 5 jobs. He has everything our supposedly intelligent fans claim to want and claim to love about Bob Knight (who has actually repeatedly stated that he likes Archie and thinks AM will do well here). But he is somehow not good enough? After 10 games?

I'm not upset about it but I'm also not giving him credit. Archie was the obvious fall back. He missed on the home runs and went and got the best backup plan that was available. It was a no brainer after he missed on the home runs (or wouldn't pay for them). So I'm far from upset but I'm also not giving him credit for the hire. At least not yet.

Context matters. If you're going to imply I am moron at least take the time to read the thread and address the point I was making. I like Archie and think he is going to be a really good coach, but he wasn't a great hire. A great hire would have been hiring a coach who has already proven they are elite. Few, Wright, and Billy D. were three examples off of the top of my head. Also, quit quoting what coaches say in public forums. Every damn coach says they are not leaving their current job, because they would be idiots to say anything else.
Problem with you theory is that none of those coaches were available. I think some posters think running a program or an organization is easy because they play fantasy sports and thinks it is easy.

What does that question even mean? Pay attention to? I don't follow your question.

I know AD's put 99% into other things but they are judged on the 1% time commitment which is hiring great coaches.

"The best executive is one who has sense enough to pick good people to do what he wants done, and self-restraint enough to keep from meddling with them while they do it."
- Theodore Roosevelt
So you probably think Duke's AD is doing a great job because their basketball team is elite. The problem is that AD did not hire coach K and the program is great because of the coach.

So you probably think Duke's AD is doing a great job because their basketball team is elite. The problem is that AD did not hire coach K and the program is great because of the coach.
He’s doing a great job because he hired David Cutcliffe, who likes working there so much that he spurned a chance to go back to UT. Glass hasn’t had much success hiring and managing coaches. Why is that so hard for some to admit?

Problem with you theory is that none of those coaches were available. I think some posters think running a program or an organization is easy because they play fantasy sports and thinks it is easy.

You have no clue who is available and who isn't available. I would refrain from speaking in absolutes. Jimbo Fisher is the latest example that elite coaches will switch jobs.

Huh? This makes no sense. None.

The AD hasn't been tasked with hiring a coach because he hasn't needed to. So I don't give him credit or blame. He does deserve some level of credit, albeit small, for keeping K there and keeping him happy. Other than that the best thing he can do is stay out of K's way. At least we agree the #1 thing for any program is who the HC is.

Reactions: IUgradman
I'm not upset about it but I'm also not giving him credit. Archie was the obvious fall back. He missed on the home runs and went and got the best backup plan that was available. It was a no brainer after he missed on the home runs (or wouldn't pay for them). So I'm far from upset but I'm also not giving him credit for the hire. At least not yet.

Stevens is never coaching another college basketball game. That one is the hard one for you, isn't it?

Donovan is never coaching another college basketball game.

Who were your "Home Runs" again?

Izzo? Coach K? Self? Cal? Wright? Other Miller?

Because they weren't leaving....and they never will.

Who?

Last edited:
You have no clue who is available and who isn't available. I would refrain from speaking in absolutes. Jimbo Fisher is the latest example that elite coaches will switch jobs.

Who was available?

And you'll come back with "that's not my job"......and Ill come back with....."How do you know who's not available then?"

Last elite coach to switch in basketball? Roy? And....and there is......and.....ah.....well you know.....that other guy....

Sh*t, even when UK got Cal, many didn't think he was elite. And that was after UK got the "elite" coach from Texas A&M. lol

Last edited:
He’s doing a great job because he hired David Cutcliffe, who likes working there so much that he spurned a chance to go back to UT. Glass hasn’t had much success hiring and managing coaches. Why is that so hard for some to admit?

You do know IU played for a national title FU*KING TWO DAYS AGO.....

LOL

Reactions: minneman
Who was available?

And you'll come back with "that's not my job"......and Ill come back with....."How do you know who's not available then?"

Last elite coach to switch in basketball? Roy? And....and there is......and.....ah.....well you know.....that other guy....

Sh*t, even when UK got Cal, many didn't think he was elite. And that was after UK got the "elite" coach from Texas A&M. lol

North Carolina and UK both did it with their last hires. If someone couldn’t figure out that Cal was elite before coaching at Kentucky, then they know nothing about basketball.

North Carolina and UK both did it with their last hires. If someone couldn’t figure out that Cal was elite before coaching at Kentucky, then they know nothing about basketball.

First, UNC hired the super elite coach Guthridge before Roy.

Second, UK hired the super elite coach Gillispie before Cal.

If Cal was so elite, why was he at Memphis? Oh yeah, he got ran out of the NBA for being a complete failure.

Lastly, that’s it? In the last 30 years of NCAA basketball you come up with 2 “elite” coaches to change jobs?

You’ve got these illusions of grandeur and are blaming the AD when they dont happen.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
So, Snarlcakes wanted IU to hire Calipari? Everybody catch this?

First, UNC hired the super elite coach Guthridge before Roy.

Second, UK hired the super elite coach Gillispie before Cal.

If Cal was so elite, why was he at Memphis? Oh yeah, he got ran out of the NBA for being a complete failure.

Lastly, that’s it? In the last 30 years of NCAA basketball you come up with 2 “elite” coaches to change jobs?

You’ve got these illusions of grandeur and are blaming the AD when they dont happen.

Bill Self at Kansas is another example. I’m sure Duke would be able to do it, but they haven’t needed a new coach in the last 30 years. I do agree it doesn’t happen often because there are very few schools that have the ability to do it. It’s basically just the blue bloods( which IU is one) and maybe a couple more.

This is really dumb
Oh. From your meaningless vague presidential-type namecalling criticism, I take it that what you really meant to say was "I don't think IU should actually have hired Calipari, but I/Snarlcakes say Calipari was 'available' and IU should have considered hiring Calipari, despite the ghosts of Calipari's past and present baggage."

Seriously, man, you couldn't possibly have posted that about Calipari without making us think you were proposing that Calipari was a viable candidate for IU.

I'm happy with Archie but Gregg Marshall was available and was the best choice IMO. Fred's ego wouldn't allow that hire though as he wanted someone he could control. If Archie doesn't work out Fred is toast. And hiring Allen was maybe an even dumber decision than Crean's buyout.

9 years. It took 9 years and a lot of outside influence for Glass to let go of Crean. That alone should be a firable offense.

Not quite true. Crean was here three years too long. Glass was ready to pull the trigger two years ago and was basically stopped by BOT. Last year he got the support of a board member and it was finally done.

This is not an opinion.

I'm happy with Archie but Gregg Marshall was available and was the best choice IMO. Fred's ego wouldn't allow that hire though as he wanted someone he could control. If Archie doesn't work out Fred is toast. And hiring Allen was maybe an even dumber decision than Crean's buyout.

Gregg Marshell was not the best choice, and even if he was, his psychotic wife disqualified him from the job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT