ADVERTISEMENT

Fred Glass

IU was 1 game away from going to 3 bowls in a row. You want to know the last time that happened? 1986-1989

Yes, Glass held onto Crean too long. IMO, that has been his only mistake. (And maybe the flag thing lol) But, he got Miller.

Have you been to the new baesball field? The football field?

Because I have......and I know what it was like before.

Do you know how good we are in other sports?

I have no idea how you can judge an AD solely on the flagship sport that was under sanctions being coached by someone he didn't hire.

So he should have fired Crean after year 4? After the UK shot? After going to the sweet 16?

Or maybe after year 5? After being preseason number 1, winning the B10 for the first time in a decade, and going to back to back sweet 16s?

Yes.....after year 6......this is were he should have fired him.....

And after year 7 especially.......

Because you cant fire him after year 8......another B10 title and another sweet 16.....

IU hasn't had one winning season in football during Glass's tenure. On what planet is that an amazing job? I realize IU isn't going to be Bama or OSU in football, but the expectations should be for IU to have some winning seasons and win 45-50% of their games. Every other Big Ten school has had at least 1 winning season, since Glass took over, but IU.

Raise your standards. It's pathetic that IU fans and alum have such low expectations for football. We can do better. If Rutgers, Northwestern, Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois and Maryland can do it, IU can, as well. Great A.D.'s turn around programs. Alvarez is a perfect example of that at Wisconsin. What he has done in Basketball and Football is amazing.

Basketball has been nothing short of a dumpster fire since he has taken over. Crean should have been fired after year 3. Glass would have taken a lot of heat for it, but he would have also been correct . It was clear then that Crean wasn't a great coach. I don't think it's necessarily a strike against Fred, but a great A.D. would have. After year 6 it should have been a no brainer, but not Fred, he still wanted to keep him after last year.

I am not going to address the rest of the sports, because if you are failing in football and basketball you shouldn't have a job anymore as the A.D. at IU. They are the two premiere programs at IU.

Fred gets paid a lot of money to be the A.D. and it's an extremely coveted job. As fans and alums it should be important to us to hold him to an extremely high standard. This isn't attack on you or anyone, I just love Indiana and am passionate about it improving in areas of weakness (football) and maintaining greatness in basketball.

Last edited:
Glass made two crappy hires in football and oversees the lowest paid coaching staff in the Big Ten. He is running the most lucrative program for an athletics department on a shoestring budget. He hired a crappy Purdue grad women’s basketball coach who squandered the momentum Curt Miller had built. He kept Crean three years too long and refused to go out and get a game changing coach, settling for a mid major guy. Alabama and Texas A&M didn’t settle for mid major coaches in football. They went out, got the money, and reached for the stars.

Simply put, Fred Glass settles for mediocrity and has no pressure to strive for success given that McRobbie is indifferent to sports.

Look at the state of basketball and football. The football team went 5-7 and the basketball team is going to miss the NCAA tournament for the second straight season. This is year eight of the Fred Glass tenure and we are rebuilding in both sports. Unacceptable.
What game changing coach was out there that was available that you think Glass should have hired.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
IU hasn't had one winning season in football during Glass's tenure. On what planet is that an amazing job? I realize IU isn't going to be Bama or OSU in football, but the expectations should be for IU to have some winning seasons and win 45-50% of their games. Every other Big Ten school has had at least 1 winning season, since Glass took over, but IU.

Raise your standards. It's pathetic that IU fans and alum have such low expectations for football. We can do better. If Rutgers, Northwestern, Purdue, Minnesota, Illinois and Maryland can do it, IU can, as well. Great A.D.'s turn around programs. Alvarez is a perfect example of that at Wisconsin. What he has done in Basketball and Football is amazing.

Basketball has been nothing short of a dumpster fire since he has taken over. Crean should have been fired after year 3. Glass would have taken a lot of heat for it, but he would have also been correct . It was clear then that Crean wasn't a great coach. I don't think it's necessarily a strike against Fred, but a great A.D. would have. After year 6 it should have been a no brainer, but not Fred, he still wanted to keep him after last year.

I am not going to address the rest of the sports, because if you are failing in football and basketball you shouldn't have a job anymore as the A.D. at IU. They are the two premiere programs at IU.

Fred gets paid a lot of money to be the A.D. and it's an extremely coveted job. As fans and alums it should be important to us to hold him to an extremely high standard. This isn't attack on you or anyone, I just love Indiana and am passionate about it improving in areas of weakness (football) and maintaining greatness in basketball.

One thing our fans forget about football is that in the '70s and '80s we played a hell of a good non-conference schedule....we played the likes of Nebraska (when they were good), LSU, Washington, NC State, and USC every year......the worst NC teams we used to play were schools like UK, Cincinnati, and Miami OH. Back then, we rarely played MAC teams other than Miami, let alone FIU, Indiana State, SIU or Georgia Southern. So.....in evaluating the Wilson & Allen teams, we have to keep in mind that they started off each year with what should have 2 automatic Ws. So having a winning record overall only requires us to go 4-5 in conference.

Donovan, Few, and Wright are three off the top of my head.
From this board, my understanding was that Few may have been approached behind the scenes...and he did not indicate a willingness to coach at Indiana. I have no doubt that feelers had been out. People in the know contact other people...so that coaches and ADs have deniability. No way for us to know. But the word was out that Crean was the last man standing.

Many on this board knew that Crean had baggage. What we knew then is what IU got. Sad but true.

IU had tested the waters. No one that had any decent credentials wanted to coach this train wreck...certainly with the AD we had at the time that didn't have control and didn't have long to be here.

Last edited:
One thing our fans forget about football is that in the '70s and '80s we played a hell of a good non-conference schedule....we played the likes of Nebraska (when they were good), LSU, Washington, NC State, and USC every year......the worst NC teams we used to play were schools like UK, Cincinnati, and Miami OH. Back then, we rarely played MAC teams other than Miami, let alone FIU, Indiana State, SIU or Georgia Southern. So.....in evaluating the Wilson & Allen teams, we have to keep in mind that they started off each year with what should have 2 automatic Ws. So having a winning record overall only requires us to go 4-5 in conference.
Well, I for one don't forget. I was in a speech class with Jade Butcher. Fascinating speeches on Tartanturf, Astroturf, why coaching as a career is a good idea, etc. Great times! What was back then could be again. That might be true. Hopefully the subjects of the speeches are more interesting and varied.

But were there other variables and not just the head coach at play? Today there is more competition, parity if you will. Regardless, what you say is valid.

Possibly, Glass has an agenda. Possibly, one season of Tom Allen as head coach may not be a lot or enough to evaluate his job as head coach. Possibly, in this day and age with the other variables in play here, maybe growing the program and putting IU into position to take advantage of these assets is actually what Glass is doing. I see it.

From this board, my understanding was that Few may have been approached behind the scenes...and he did not indicate a willingness to coach at Indiana. I have no doubt that feelers had been out. People in the know contact other people...so that coaches and ADs have deniability. No way for us to know. But the word was out that Crean was the last man standing.

Many on this board knew that Crean had baggage. What we knew then is what IU got. Sad but true.

IU had tested the waters. No one that had any credentials wanted to coach this train wreck...certainly with the AD we had at the time that didn't have control and didn't have long to be here.

The original post wasn't talking about when Crean was hired, it was referencing this most recent coaching search. The poster was using Texas A&M as an example of what a great hire looks like.

And changing ADs is going to make us Ohio State in football? F*%# No it’s not.

And Wisconsin is a perfect example.....

Wisconsin became good in basketball for 2 reasons....Bo Ryan AND fan support.

People actually go to Wisconsin basketball games. They are one of the top 20 in attendance every year.

Sure, Alvarez hired Ryan, but after some success his ass would have been out of town if it wasn’t for the fan support.

Reality check.....

Jurich at UofL made 1.4 million a year, Alvare makes 1.2 million.....and Glass make 430,000.....the second lowest in the Big Ten.

Extremely coveted job? By who? Not top tier athletic directors.

You want winning football? F*%#ing go to the games. Donate some money. Instead of bitching about it, do something.

This isn’t 1980, where big time college sports didn’t exist and money was a afterthought.

Most people in this thread haven’t been to Bloomington in years. They have no idea
I got a chance to take a tour of IUs new facilities about 5 years ago, and right away knew we were in trouble. The weight room with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the field is pretty sweet, I have to admit.

What game changing coach was out there that was available that you think Glass should have hired.
After year 3, in which Crean finished LASTin the conference for the 3rd straight year,Brad Stevens was available. Stevens had just led Butler to the NCAA championship game. I was not the only poster on this board clamoring for Stevens that year.

Last edited:
And changing ADs is going to make us Ohio State in football? F*%# No it’s not.

And Wisconsin is a perfect example.....

Wisconsin became good in basketball for 2 reasons....Bo Ryan AND fan support.

People actually go to Wisconsin basketball games. They are one of the top 20 in attendance every year.

Sure, Alvarez hired Ryan, but after some success his ass would have been out of town if it wasn’t for the fan support.

Reality check.....

Jurich at UofL made 1.4 million a year, Alvare makes 1.2 million.....and Glass make 430,000.....the second lowest in the Big Ten.

Extremely coveted job? By who? Not top tier athletic directors.

You want winning football? F*%#ing go to the games. Donate some money. Instead of bitching about it, do something.

This isn’t 1980, where big time college sports didn’t exist and money was a afterthought.

You need to work on your reading comprehension. I specifically stated that I don't expect IU to be as good as OSU. Go back and reread my post and refrain from posting an ignorant response to me.

My expectations are for IU football to have some winning seasons and win 45-50% of their games. If you disagree, feel free to make a logical argument as why my expectations are to high for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
You need to work on your reading comprehension. I specifically stated that I don't expect IU to be as good as OSU. Go back and reread my post and refrain from posting an ignorant response to me.

My expectations are for IU football to have some winning seasons and win 45-50% of their games. If you disagree, feel free make a logical argument as why my expectations are to high for you.

IN the last 3 years, IU overall record of 17-21. %44.7 winning

What are you bitching about again?

Oh yeah, Glass is doing a terrible job with a “highly coveted” job because of football and basketball.

Is that easy enough for ya there champ?

Last edited:
Fixed it for you
No AD is judged by how well the field hockey team does. They're paid to develop revenue generating sports ie football and basketball. Those are the two sports that provide the most benefit to the school. And Fred has failed miserably at both of those.

No AD is judged by how well the field hockey team does. They're paid to develop revenue generating sports ie football and basketball. Those are the two sports that provide the most benefit to the school. And Fred has failed miserably at both of those.

Might want to look up what Fred is paid compared to other D1 ADs....

The problem with firing him after year 3 was he got a commitment from Zeller....with a high chance at Yogi.

I agree, should have fired Crean then, but Crean had been rebuilding from sanctions and many felt he deserved another year.

Last edited:
Might want to look up what Fred is paid compared to other D1 ADs....

The problem with firing him after year 3 was he got a commitment from Zeller....with a high chance at Yogi.

I agree, should have fired Crean then, but Crean had been rebuilding from sanctions and many felt he deserved another year.

Considering Butler was a finalist for Cody I doubt he would have asked out of his LOI if Stevens had been hired. At any rate, Brad would have led us to a couple of national titles by now had Fred done the right thing.

IN the last 3 years, IU overall record of 17-21. %44.7 winning

What are you bitching about again?

Oh yeah, Glass is doing a terrible job with a “highly coveted” job because of football and basketball.

Is that easy enough for ya there champ?

I’m not bitching about anything and none of this is personal. Glass hasn’t been a good A.D. and should have been fired with Wilson. Cherry picking the last 3 years isn’t going to convince me he is a great A.D. I could do the same for basketball after this season and it would be another strike against Glass. We just have drastic differences in what the expectations are for a great A.D. IU.

IU's athletic department was in the red when Glass was hired. They're on the positive side of income, now. Sounds like he's doing his job

Reactions: IndianaHoops
Considering Butler was a finalist for Cody I doubt he would have asked out of his LOI if Stevens had been hired. At any rate, Brad would have led us to a couple of national titles by now had Fred done the right thing.

Fed was brought in with the basketball program under sanctions.

NOBODY wanted the job. That’s why Crean was at IU in the first place.

I don’t think Stevens was going to leave Butler to go to IU at that time.

Oh, that’s right.....it was his “dream” job..... lol

Regardless, Crean had Zeller locked up before a single game for season 3 was played. People though he deserved one more year.

Fred Glass is a small step up from Morgan Burke. I'll be glad when he's gone. He's not aggressive enough as an AD. Jurich kept the heat on his coaches to WIN. And they did.

Why doesn't the 8 time Natiomal Champion Soccer Team play in Memorial Stadium in primetime on Saturday? Far more successful than the Football team.
Because the soccer team averages around 3,000 fans per game in a 5,000 seat stadium, while the football team averages around 44,000 per game in a 53,000 seat stadium.

Are you for real? Sure, let’s just shut down the football program so we have to eliminate 90% of our sports and cut the basketball budget. Is that what you want?

The AD's primary job, especially these days, is to hire elite coaches. The money is pouring in from huge TV contacts regardless of who is AD.

I'd challenge anyone to find a worse AD in the Big Ten. Fred has been a complete disaster. No way to sugar coat it.
That’s patentły false. How many ADs do you actually pay attention to?

Somebody sell me on this guy. He's a been a major dissapointment as an AD as far as on the field/court goes.
He’s done more for athletic facilities than anyone else in the history of the program. He’s increased the budget, the varsity club has raised donation records each of the past five or so years (tv money is separate), he immediately got us out of the red and we’ve now been in the black each of the past five or so years, and things are going pretty well overall. He’s made coaching changes in volleyball and softball to try to lift up those struggling programs in addition to giving them new facilities.

Where the hell did this thread come from?

This is a joke, right? I mean, no one could mis-remember recent history that badly without it being in jest. Mike Davis was an unmitigated disaster and it really isn't up for debate. He effectively killed in-state recruiting, wasn't in any danger of competing for National Titles and had Indiana trending in the wrong direction....just like Tom Crean. He wasn't forced out after just a few short years from an appearance in the title game. He was given ample opportunity to prove himself as a competent coach and leader and failed miserably.

For all his bloviating, Fred Glass has been pretty pedestrian regarding the revenue generating sports, i.e. football and basketball. The Miller hire looks to be his best move so far. But his Crean extension and handling of the Wilson/Allen situation leave a lot to be desired.

He's an average AD at best.
Glass gave Wilson about a dozen different chances regarding his off the field issues. He kept that very quiet and tried to help him out. The injury stuff and opening up the university to lawsuits...yeah that’s going to get you fired.

I also forgot to mention the lack of success in women’s softball and volleyball. We are awful in both of those sports.
That’s probably why he fired both of those coaches within the past year and both have received or are getting new facilities. Not trying to be rude, but how closely do you even follow those programs? Those programs have pretty much sucked for their entire existence. It’s a difficult balance to try to boost those programs and give them new facilities and get new coaches while at the same time trying to maintain 22 other sports...especially when those two programs have no tradition and were pretty much neglected facility wise for decades.

I know the B1G is an excellent conference in women's volleyball, but given the number of college prospects that come out of the state, IU should be competitive in the Big Ten.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT