ADVERTISEMENT

Fred Glass

The football team, while still not great, is the best it's been since Mallory was coach.
Men's soccer team was #1 for most of the season, is a #2 seed, and in the College Cup (final four for soccer).
Men's swim team is the best it's been since Doc, ranked #1, and had a very good placing in the NCAA last year. They're also on a 16 or 17 dual meet winning streak.
The women's swim team is also ranked and doing quite well.
For a few years the baseball was having unusual success. They're still decent.
Rugby team was top 10.
There's a few other sports that IU is doing quite well at under his direction. He stayed with Crean for too long but there are more sports than basketball and he's done a good job with those.

Last edited:
People down on Glass are delusional. The man is intelligent, accomplished and is an alumn. He's has more ability as AD in his finger than half this board combined, including me. I don't have to agree with every decision he makes to respect his position and accomplishments. He loves the state and the university and cares deeply about IU athletics.

It could be way worse, as I remember many of you clammoring for and comparing us to UofL and Jurich. After all, he did get rid of Crean, so for that I'm grateful

People down on Glass are delusional. The man is intelligent, accomplished and is an alumn. He's has more ability as AD in his finger than half this board combined, including me. I don't have to agree with every decision he makes to respect his position and accomplishments. He loves the state and the university and cares deeply about IU athletics.

It could be way worse, as I remember many of you clammoring for and comparing us to UofL and Jurich. After all, he did get rid of Crean, so for that I'm grateful
agree, but he didnt want to get rid of crean, so you can't use that as an accomplishment. His hand was forced.

The AD's primary job, especially these days, is to hire elite coaches. The money is pouring in from huge TV contacts regardless of who is AD.

I'd challenge anyone to find a worse AD in the Big Ten. Fred has been a complete disaster. No way to sugar coat it.

Somebody sell me on this guy. He's a been a major dissapointment as an AD as far as on the field/court goes.
I think he has done a good job and he has put a lot of money into the sports programs. He is over more than just basketball and football and a lot of IU sports are doing very well. Right now IU soccer is in the final four. I think the MIller hire has the basketball program going in the right direction.

agree, but he didnt want to get rid of crean, so you can't use that as an accomplishment. His hand was forced.
I see Crean's lingering at IU a little differently. Since Bob Knight was forced out IU has had extremely high turnover in the basketball coach position. After Sampson was forced out, IU opened the search but who wanted this wounded and tainted job? Why take the IU head coach job when one would likely only last a few years before getting forced out after even making the final game like Davis did?

So, to stabilize that merry-go-round and to make the position more attractive, Glass kept Crean way after it became obvious that Crean had hit his ceiling at IU. It was apparent that Glass had an agenda and a strategic plan. Coupled with turnover in the football head coaching job, Glass had some really tough decisions to make.

The buyout of Crean's extension may well have been the most controversial decision. Or, maybe, it was picking Tom Allen as football head coach. Both are definitely controversial. There are arguments on both sides. I see very justifiable and strong reasons for both. I also see very justifiable and strong reasons against both.

The thing about a position like Glass' is that it is easy to pick on such decisions. But people in those positions must make the tough decisions.

I am very glad that Glass picked Archie Miller for basketball head coach. I believe, also, that the Tom Allen pick may also be the right one. Sure, the jury is still out...It will be out at the end of the year, each year, for each sport...and for the overall condition of sports at IU. Other than that...I wish them and the university the best.

Why take the IU head coach job when one would likely only last a few years before getting forced out after even making the final game like Davis did?

This is a joke, right? I mean, no one could mis-remember recent history that badly without it being in jest. Mike Davis was an unmitigated disaster and it really isn't up for debate. He effectively killed in-state recruiting, wasn't in any danger of competing for National Titles and had Indiana trending in the wrong direction....just like Tom Crean. He wasn't forced out after just a few short years from an appearance in the title game. He was given ample opportunity to prove himself as a competent coach and leader and failed miserably.

For all his bloviating, Fred Glass has been pretty pedestrian regarding the revenue generating sports, i.e. football and basketball. The Miller hire looks to be his best move so far. But his Crean extension and handling of the Wilson/Allen situation leave a lot to be desired.

He's an average AD at best.

This is a joke, right? I mean, no one could mis-remember recent history that badly without it being in jest. Mike Davis was an unmitigated disaster and it really isn't up for debate. He effectively killed in-state recruiting, wasn't in any danger of competing for National Titles and had Indiana trending in the wrong direction....just like Tom Crean. He wasn't forced out after just a few short years from an appearance in the title game. He was given ample opportunity to prove himself as a competent coach and leader and failed miserably.

For all his bloviating, Fred Glass has been pretty pedestrian regarding the revenue generating sports, i.e. football and basketball. The Miller hire looks to be his best move so far. But his Crean extension and handling of the Wilson/Allen situation leave a lot to be desired.

Well said. Also, any competent AD could have hired Archie Miller . Almost any coach from a non power 5 conference school would crawl over broken glass to come to IU. The only thing Fred had to do was not mess it up.

Last edited:
Do you remember how bad the previous 2 ADs were?

Glass has done a amazing job IMO.

Don't set the bar too high:

*IU Football under Glass (starting from Wilson's first year since he was responsible for hiring him) is 31-53.

*IU Basketball is about to miss the tourney for 6th time (including 3 out of the last 5 years which he is 100 percent responsible for) since he has been the AD.

I am dumbfounded anyone can say he has done an amazing job.

Last edited:
Glass only looks like an amazing AD at IU because the previous ones have been so bad. I think overall he has done a fairly good job, not great. I would like to see more money spent on football to get it to the next level. The main glaring mistake for Glass was the extension and buyout of Tom Crean that made him keep him at least 2 years too long. He has made that right by firing Crean and hiring Miller. The jury is still out on Tom Allen. In a few years Glass could look like a genious for his last 2 hires.

OK, you are right about Mike Davis not working out at IU. I did not misremember. I did understate how many years after going to the Final Game in the NCAAT that Davis was out. I said few he went from that game in the '02 season and announced his leaving 2/06. The issue, which the above post and others are missing is why did Glass hang on to Crean? I say it was to stabilize the turnover. Others say it was misguided. You can point out why Davis was 'forced' out but that is not the reason that I posited that Glass kept Crean.

But to me his handling of the Wilson/Allen situation does not leave a lot to be desired.

Maybe this'll help: An AD's job doesn't involve playing in the games. That is why he has done nothing you have seen on the field or court. Don't expect him to be putting up stats. I hope that helped....

Somebody sell me on this guy. He's a been a major dissapointment as an AD as far as on the field/court goes.

Glass made two crappy hires in football and oversees the lowest paid coaching staff in the Big Ten. He is running the most lucrative program for an athletics department on a shoestring budget. He hired a crappy Purdue grad women’s basketball coach who squandered the momentum Curt Miller had built. He kept Crean three years too long and refused to go out and get a game changing coach, settling for a mid major guy. Alabama and Texas A&M didn’t settle for mid major coaches in football. They went out, got the money, and reached for the stars.

Simply put, Fred Glass settles for mediocrity and has no pressure to strive for success given that McRobbie is indifferent toward sports.

Look at the state of basketball and football. The football team went 5-7 and the basketball team is going to miss the NCAA tournament for the second straight season. This is year eight of the Fred Glass tenure and we are rebuilding in both sports. Unacceptable.

Last edited:
Glass kept Crean because of the B10 titles, and Crean earning a little leeway from bringing the program back from the ashes. With Bryant, OG, and co, a lot more was expected. It really shouldn't be that difficult to understand. The only hire you can really question was Allen, and personally, I think he is a perfect fit who would've had a HC job somewhere very soon after his record of turning around defenses, at multiple places. He wants to be here. Other than mishandling a few situations (as far as Crean, getting rid of him too early would have made it more difficult to recruit a solid coach to the program), I feel like he has done an excellent job. There are few things an AD does to influence actual results on the field of play. The facilities are continually being upgraded, and he hasn't been bad at making decisions on coaches. The only arguement that even remotely stands is standing by one for too long, and I'd rather have that than keeping coaches like Archie from wanting to come here for job stability concerns. That said, I especially love the current direction of the bball program.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Don't set the bar to high:

*IU Football under Glass (starting from Wilson's first year since he was responsible for hiring him) is 31-53.

*IU Basketball is about to miss the tourney for 6th time (including 3 out of the last 5 years which he is 100 percent responsible for) since he has been the AD.

IU was 1 game away from going to 3 bowls in a row. You want to know the last time that happened? 1986-1989

Yes, Glass held onto Crean too long. IMO, that has been his only mistake. (And maybe the flag thing lol) But, he got Miller.

Have you been to the new baesball field? The football field?

Because I have......and I know what it was like before.

Do you know how good we are in other sports?

I have no idea how you can judge an AD solely on the flagship sport that was under sanctions being coached by someone he didn't hire.

So he should have fired Crean after year 4? After the UK shot? After going to the sweet 16?

Or maybe after year 5? After being preseason number 1, winning the B10 for the first time in a decade, and going to back to back sweet 16s?

Yes.....after year 6......this is were he should have fired him.....

And after year 7 especially.......

Because you cant fire him after year 8......another B10 title and another sweet 16.....

Last edited:
Reactions: minneman
Glass made two crappy hires in football and oversees the lowest paid coaching staff in the Big Ten. He is running the most lucrative program for an athletics department on a shoestring budget. He hired a crappy Purdue grad women’s basketball coach who squandered the momentum Curt Miller had built. He kept Crean three years too long and refused to go out and get a game changing coach, settling for a mid major guy. Alabama and Texas A&M didn’t settle for mid major coaches in football. They went out, got the money, and reached for the stars.

Simply put, Fred Glass settles for mediocrity and has no pressure to strive for success given that McRobbie is indifferent to sports.

Look at the state of basketball and football. The football team went 5-7 and the basketball team is going to miss the NCAA tournament for the second straight season. This is year eight of the Fred Glass tenure and we are rebuilding in both sports. Unacceptable.

Some of you kill me......

You know why IU football has the lowest paid coaching staff? Because no one goes to the damn games. I bet you haven't been to an IU football game in years.

You want to know how many times IU football has won 5 or more games in the last 22 years? 7. You want to know how many of them happened with Glass as a AD? 4.

Don't set the bar too high:

ehhh -- not calling Glass the GOAT or anything but he has been AD during 18% of our all-time bowl game appearances (granted, there are a gazillion now) and made what will likely prove to be the best BB HC hire in 50 years.

i think he's somewhere between awful and dandy with room to improve. lol

you can hate the logic (I did) but Fred considered crean's 4th year to actually be his first and clearly judged him from that point on. meh

I also forgot to mention the lack of success in women’s softball and volleyball. We are awful in both of those sports.

I also forgot to mention the lack of success in women’s softball and volleyball. We are awful in both of those sports.

What were the best years for IU in those sports ever?

Don't worry, Ill give you time to look it up.... lol

ehhh -- not calling Glass the GOAT or anything but he has been AD during 18% of our all-time bowl game appearances (granted, there are a gazillion now) and made what will likely prove to be the best BB HC hire in 50 years.

i think he's somewhere between awful and dandy with room to improve. lol

you can hate the logic (I did) but Fred considered crean's 4th year to actually be his first and clearly judged him from that point on. meh

The fact that IU gave Crean three years without judgment is a joke. It was clear by year three he was in over his head and Zeller being pressured into attending IU saved his butt. The absolute latest Crean should have lasted at IU was March 2014. He was in his sixth season with two McDonald’s All-Americans on his roster and finished 17-15. Any blueblood would have said sayonara at that point.

The football team, while still not great, is the best it's been since Mallory was coach.
Men's soccer team was #1 for most of the season, is a #2 seed, and in the College Cup (final four for soccer).
Men's swim team is the best it's been since Doc, ranked #1, and had a very good placing in the NCAA last year. They're also on a 16 or 17 dual meet winning streak.
The women's swim team is also ranked and doing quite well.
For a few years the baseball was having unusual success. They're still decent.
Rugby team was top 10.
There's a few other sports that IU is doing quite well at under his direction. He stayed with Crean for too long but there are more sports than basketball and he's done a good job with those.

Football and men’s basketball are all that matter. It is the cold hard truth.

Are you really comparing IU football to Alabama and A&M? What a ****ing joke! IU has had two women's bball teams go to the tourney this century. One of those was pretty lucky to win the B10 tourney. Unrealistic expectations breed disappointment. Do you expect children to be running marathons the week they are born? Curt Miller was the one who squandered their momentum (and I will buy into the questioning of hiring another Purdue alum in that position, but you have to hire the best that is interested not necessarily the ideal candidate.). Do you think IU could throw enough money out there to land an established coach in FB or women's bball? Your expectations are a total joke...

Simply put, Fred Glass settles for mediocrity and has no pressure to strive for success given that McRobbie is indifferent to sports.

The fact that IU gave Crean three years without judgment is a joke. It was clear by year three he was in over his head and Zeller being pressured into attending IU saved his butt. The absolute latest Crean should have lasted at IU was March 2014. He was in his sixth season with two McDonald’s All-Americans on his roster and finished 17-15. Any blueblood would have said sayonara at that point.

totally agree.

Zeller was pressured into attending IU? hadn't heard that one.

Glass would be the worst person in the world if Crean was still coach today, but he's not...so glass isn't quite the worst person in the world. lol

Are you really comparing IU football to Alabama and A&M? What a ****ing joke! IU has had two women's bball teams go to the tourney this century. One of those was pretty lucky to win the B10 tourney. Unrealistic expectations breed disappointment. Do you expect children to be running marathons the week they are born? Curt Miller was the one who squandered their momentum (and I will buy into the questioning of hiring another Purdue alum in that position, but you have to hire the best that is interested not necessarily the ideal candidate.). Do you think IU could throw enough money out there to land an established coach in FB or women's bball? Your expectations are a total joke...

Moren never made the NCAA tournament at Indiana State. Her last game there was a loss to.....Curt Miller and Indiana. There were better options available. If we don’t win 20 games this year she should be gone as well. Regarding football, how about doing a national search and not having the lowest paid coaching staff in the Big Ten? How about having state of the art lockerrooms and a players’ lounge for basketball? If we are a serious about basketball we must have the best facilities in the nation.

Regarding football, how about doing a national search and not having the lowest paid coaching staff in the Big Ten?

That's like Rutgers doing a nation search for a basketball coach. And again, its the lowest paid coaching staff in the B10 because of the fans. Not the AD.

How about having state of the art lockerrooms and a players’ lounge for basketball?

LOL.....ah.......

If we are a serious about basketball we must have the best facilities in the nation.

Good lord you have no idea what you are talking about.......

Reactions: minneman
A lot of folks here already writing off this year's basketball team by saying they won't make the tournament. Amazing. It's early December.

And yes, I think we will make the tournament. Regardless if we do or don't, that remains to be seen, but to count them out this early is absurd.

I love this debate, and am glad the posts have generally been civil on this topic. That said, here's how I see it.

Good Fred: basketball, baseball & football facilities, new volleyball/wrestling arena, and fund raising generally, which might be an AD's most important job these days; Hiring IU's baseball coach & supporting that program financially; Not hiring any particular coach who would get IU on probation; hiring Archie (although I agree it was a no-brainer when others weren't available).

Bad Fred: Ridiculous Crean extension, then keeping him 1-2 years too long-can IU recover?; extending & then firing Wilson, which made Allen hiring unavoidable(I agree the jury is out on Allen, but the trend is down); waiting years too long to dump losing softball & volleyball coaches.

If you go strictly by results on the field, I don't see how he gets better than a C-/D+, because basketball & football matter most. Also, at least in recent years (perhaps this year will be better?), our rankings in the all-sports rankings have been down from previous years. When was the last time we won a NC in anything? We used to somewhat regularly. I give him high marks for baseball. IU's games are now an event (in good weather). I'm pretty close to that program, and can tell you that this years team may turn out to be very good. There is significant enthusiasm for the Spring. And obviously they're doing something right in men's and woman's swimming. For a midwestern team not named Michigan to be top 10 in both is outstanding. As for soccer, I don't give him much credit. He fired a guy who had won a NC 2 years earlier in favor of Yeagley's son, and until now it hasn't really paid off. Also, and I don't know there's much he can do about this, Armstrong stadium is a crappy place to watch a soccer game, due to the track. I don't know what, if any, improvements could be made there, but they'd be welcome.

Although the results to date haven't been great, I do think you have to say he's positioned several sports for success due to his pressing forward with fund-raising & facilities---football, basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, wrestling. So, I give him an A in that department

Overall, I think he's a solid B, which is a very good grade compared to his immediate predecessors.

He just fired the volleyball coach (Dunbar-Kruzan), who had had some early success but was on a downhill slide.

Why doesn't the 8 time Natiomal Champion Soccer Team play in Memorial Stadium in primetime on Saturday? Far more successful than the Football team.

Reactions: IUgradman
ADVERTISEMENT