ADVERTISEMENT

Florida's Mr. Football is only a 2-star. What am I missing?

Moops

Hall of Famer
Sep 19, 2001
Pound Town
Trust I am fine and love this acquisition. Very promising.

I just don't get the Florida talent leads to their Mr. Football being a 2-star unless Mr. Football is totally political and meaningless. That said, to even be considered I'd imagine you have a good chance at a good career at the next level. Nice to see the new regime recruiting well.

Reactions: RBB89
The more relevant question: what is Rivals missing? Then again, they thought Ball was a 2* star recruit.

Reactions: codylance

I just don't get the Florida talent leads to their Mr. Football being a 2-star unless Mr. Football is totally political and meaningless. That said, to even be considered I'd imagine you have a good chance at a good career at the next level. Nice to see the new regime recruiting well.
Intangibles, Moops.
Leadership
Citizenship
Character

Maybe the same guys that do the evaluations are the same guys that had us #3 in the country in basketball 2 short months ago.

I read somewhere he did not attend any or many of the QB camps, and that is where a lot of the rating takes place.

Reactions: 10yrProject
The more relevant question: what is Rivals missing? Then again, they thought Ball was a 2* star recruit.
If Ball was a 2*, then the system is messed up.

Hopefully he was evaluated by the staff on matters other than how he was rated by the various services. I would be interested in how his team did. He put up good numbers, but did he lead his team to success? I want someone that is going to push Lagow to either step up or become a backup with experience. We will have to wait and see if this kid is the one or if King can be the one. We will have some good receivers assuming they all stay healthy. We need someone to get them the ball.

If Ball was a 2*, then the system is messed up.

It is. Jordan Howard was a 2* and in his 4th year out of HS he's 2nd in the NFL in rushing and in the Pro Bowl.

He was a good back and productive the moment he stepped on the field at UAB, so it's not like he was a late bloomer.

If you don't have big offers or go to their camps, I don't think the big sites do a good job of evaluating you. Then there's kids like the Pimastud who lied about his offers and got his rating pumped up.

Reactions: codylance and RBB89

He's undersized, with an average arm. In an era where protypical quarterbacks are 6-5 and have cannons, he doesn't fit. Will be interesting to see if he can play at a Big 10 level.

I would not call him undersized. And he can run. And he is a very accurate passer. 59 touchdown passes and 9 interceptions over 2 seasons says he is a good decision maker. I have a very good feeling about this guy. And its nice that he is going to have time to adjust to the college game.

I would not call him undersized. And he can run. And he is a very accurate passer. 59 touchdown passes and 9 interceptions over 2 seasons says he is a good decision maker. I have a very good feeling about this guy. And its nice that he is going to have time to adjust to the college game.
He's a little over 6-0. Today, that's considered undersized.

I don't know where you are getting that, but he's listed as 6-2 on every single site that I can find, which is the same height or taller than half the starting QBs in the conference. I think there were only 2 QBs that were 6-5 or taller (Lagow and Speight). His height could very well be slightly embellished, but likely no more than anyone else.

I don't know where you are getting that, but he's listed as 6-2 on every single site that I can find, which is the same height or taller than half the starting QBs in the conference. I think there were only 2 QBs that were 6-5 or taller (Lagow and Speight). His height could very well be slightly embellished, but likely no more than anyone else.
In recruiting especially, just about everyone's heights and weights are embellished. He's a little over 6-0, which automatically dings him with lots of school's who are looking for someone much taller. Given his productivity, it's very likely why he only had one other P5 offer, and that was after their primary guy decommitted.

He is closer to 5'11" than he is to 6'2" - I am 6'2" and stood next to him in concession area at halftime of the b-ball game Saturday and I dwarfed him. He is thick with a football neck and is certainly not Zander tiny. I like what I see on his clips but he is undersized.

In recruiting especially, just about everyone's heights and weights are embellished. He's a little over 6-0, which automatically dings him with lots of school's who are looking for someone much taller. Given his productivity, it's very likely why he only had one other P5 offer, and that was after their primary guy decommitted.

I think lack of offers have more to do with having a mediocre Jr year, and then by the time people started noticing the yards he was putting up his Sr, most schools already had their QB commits.

I think lack of offers have more to do with having a mediocre Jr year, and then by the time people started noticing the yards he was putting up his Sr, most schools already had their QB commits.
Maybe, but there was plenty to see his senior year and schools still stayed away. If he was perceived as better than what they had, he'd have more offers. Sometimes it's about competition, but that doesn't seem to be the case. This looks to be about size and arm strength, just like it was with Diamont.

It is. Jordan Howard was a 2* and in his 4th year out of HS he's 2nd in the NFL in rushing and in the Pro Bowl.

He was a good back and productive the moment he stepped on the field at UAB, so it's not like he was a late bloomer.

If you don't have big offers or go to their camps, I don't think the big sites do a good job of evaluating you. Then there's kids like the Pimastud who lied about his offers and got his rating pumped up.
The rating sites have limited resources so they concentrate on the big camps to get the most bang out of their bucks. I have to continually remind myself that they have major holes in how, when and where they evaluate players. And this is also true to a lesser degree with their basketball evaluations.

He is closer to 5'11" than he is to 6'2" - I am 6'2" and stood next to him in concession area at halftime of the b-ball game Saturday and I dwarfed him. He is thick with a football neck and is certainly not Zander tiny. I like what I see on his clips but he is undersized.
He's a little over 6-0. Today, that's considered undersized.

To me size is multi-dimensional. I did not say he was tall. He is a dual-purpose quarterback who can throw accurately on the run. He can play football.

Reactions: Sassy61
Maybe, but there was plenty to see his senior year and schools still stayed away. If he was perceived as better than what they had, he'd have more offers. Sometimes it's about competition, but that doesn't seem to be the case. This looks to be about size and arm strength, just like it was with Diamont.
He appears to have better arm strength right now than ZD.
Give him next year to learn the system and to hit the weight room and I think he might our guy in '18.
Plus he appears to have the ability to tuck it and run which Allen mentioned he was looking for.

Reactions: Sassy61

That is undersized height wise. There may be other spots he can be used. Film looks good. Hope he comes and we find out.

Uh... no Just look at his tapes. I put a link up of the entire state championship game. This guy can play. His neck is about the size of Zander's thigh.

He appears to have better arm strength right now than ZD.
Give him next year to learn the system and to hit the weight room and I think he might our guy in '18.
Plus he appears to have the ability to tuck it and run which Allen mentioned he was looking for.
Agreed. The films show ample arm strength, and more than ZD showed while here. Zander was really fast, and Tronti seems to be elusive and thrives when rolling out/pitching it on the run. Pretty accurate too.

uab was jordan howard only d1 offer no reason he would have been rated higher. great back that everybody missed on.

Uh... no Just look at his tapes. I put a link up of the entire state championship game. This guy can play. His neck is about the size of Zander's thigh.
I've seen the highlights, as have recruiters. He's not an unknown, yet he still wasn't in demand. I think his height is a big reason for that, along with his arm strength, which is okay but certainly not overwhelming. Hopefully it all works out and he was a guy who was wrongly ignored.

Last edited:
The high school rating system is vastly overrated. Plenty of gems out their that are missed or have potential and can be coached up.

Reactions: 10yrProject
Agreed. The films show ample arm strength, and more than ZD showed while here. Zander was really fast, and Tronti seems to be elusive and thrives when rolling out/pitching it on the run. Pretty accurate too.

Arm strength was never a question.

By no means inferring any comparison in terms of talent but Antwaan RE was only 5'10".

I can agree about height often being inflated, but he's already built much better than ZD is at 21, and he's got a noticeably stronger arm.

I can agree about height often being inflated, but he's already built much better than ZD is at 21, and he's got a noticeably stronger arm.
I think just about any arm would've been better than Diamont's, but the issue is whether it is and will be good enough in the Big 10. Looks decent, but I'm sure that plus the height issue scared others away. Hopefully that's IUs gain.

I remember when Alex Smith was Mr. Football from a southern Indiana HS - he was considered undersized.

He turned out OK.

All this obsession with size is just bizarre to me. The kid is Mr. Football. In Florida. All I read on here is how much better Florida recruits are than the locals. Now we get a guy recognized by the coaches (or press?) in that state as an elite player and everyone trashes him because he's not 6'5"?

You'd think, with some of the players we've had through here who have been low-rated and excelled that we'd trust the coaches' judgements on these guys.
We needed a QB recruit badly. Wilson put us in this spot of having to get someone last-minute. I'd say this guy was about as good as we're going to get, considering.

I'll take a QB who wins a state title in Florida, no problem.

I remember when Alex Smith was Mr. Football from a southern Indiana HS - he was considered undersized.

He turned out OK.

All this obsession with size is just bizarre to me. The kid is Mr. Football. In Florida. All I read on here is how much better Florida recruits are than the locals. Now we get a guy recognized by the coaches (or press?) in that state as an elite player and everyone trashes him because he's not 6'5"?

You'd think, with some of the players we've had through here who have been low-rated and excelled that we'd trust the coaches' judgements on these guys.
We needed a QB recruit badly. Wilson put us in this spot of having to get someone last-minute. I'd say this guy was about as good as we're going to get, considering.

I'll take a QB who wins a state title in Florida, no problem.
Wondering why UNC-Charlotte was the only D1 school to offer him a scholarship until IU and Arizona (after their committed qb backed out to go to Oregon) came in late is "trashing" him? That's strange.

But I'll ask . . . why do you think so many programs passed on him? He's well known, the Mr. Football in talent rich and football crazy Florida. It's not like he's an unknown, and video highlights of him are everywhere. Why did the guys who evaluate high schoolers for a living decide not to pursue him?

Wondering why UNC-Charlotte was the only D1 school to offer him a scholarship until IU and Arizona (after their committed qb backed out to go to Oregon) came in late is "trashing" him? That's strange.

But I'll ask . . . why do you think so many programs passed on him? He's well known, the Mr. Football in talent rich and football crazy Florida. It's not like he's an unknown, and video highlights of him are everywhere. Why did the guys who evaluate high schoolers for a living decide not to pursue him?
Because, as you should know, recruiting starts earlier than Senior year. He wasn't on anyone's radar because yes, he was unknown before this year. He was getting late interest and other offers. And he didn't attend a lot of camps.

Hope that helps.

Because, as you should know, recruiting starts earlier than Senior year. He wasn't on anyone's radar because yes, he was unknown before this year. He was getting late interest and other offers. And he didn't attend a lot of camps.

Hope that helps.
But you're suggesting he was unknown, which just isn't true. Like I said, hopefully everyone missed the boat except IU.

Navy, Army and Air Force have had a number of tough QBs over the years, who despite their lack of "perfect" size and modest ranking by the experts, are able to do just fine on the field.

Can this recruit take the hits from opposing defenses without getting too banged up?

But you're suggesting he was unknown, which just isn't true. Like I said, hopefully everyone missed the boat except IU.

I don't think its that schools missed out, I just don't think that they had the need. I think that once you get past the top 20-25 QBs in a class, the difference between QBs that end up at power 5 schools isn't all that big. And I think he is likely just on par with these lower power 5 QBs, which is certainly a great get for IU considering how late in the process it was. And with most schools only taking 1 QB per class and already having a QB commit, there was no need to go after a guy that was of similar talent to what they already had. Even if Tronti was a slight step up compared to what they had, it likely wouldn't be worth the bad PR to drop a kid that had been committed for half a year or more.

I don't think its that schools missed out, I just don't think that they had the need. I think that once you get past the top 20-25 QBs in a class, the difference between QBs that end up at power 5 schools isn't all that big. And I think he is likely just on par with these lower power 5 QBs, which is certainly a great get for IU considering how late in the process it was. And with most schools only taking 1 QB per class and already having a QB commit, there was no need to go after a guy that was of similar talent to what they already had. Even if Tronti was a slight step up compared to what they had, it likely wouldn't be worth the bad PR to drop a kid that had been committed for half a year or more.
Don't know if your talent argument is accurate or not but, if it is, that's where kids like Tronti (shorter and with modest arms) get pushed to the bottom. Diamont was like that. Drew Brees was like that. Let's hope that this kids lack of measurables is made up in savvy and other intangible strengths.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT