ADVERTISEMENT

Flight tracker speculation…..

All on board with Tom Herman. I really hope that’s the guy. Obviously has recruiting connects in Texas, and has spent the last year getting to know players in Florida.

The job he did at Texas was definitely underwhelming, but it’s not bad enough to make me worry. The guy proved he can coach at Houston. Would absolutely love to see it, and I’m really hopeful that’s the guy.

Heard he is a strong candidate. Very strong.

Garrett Riley?
He did a great job at TCU. You saw their fall off as soon as he left. Clemson's offense this year didn't knock anyone's socks off, but he has only been on staff for about 10 months, so? If he came back next year with Clemson and their offense took off, he would likely become a top coaching candidate. That begs the question, is he worth the gamble or is IU going after a more proven commodity?

Reactions: ulrey
Found on Reddit :D

Is Tom Herman the next Indiana Head Coach? An Investigation​

There are two interesting flights into Bloomington tomorrow and one from today.
  1. A private flight is arriving at Bloomington at noon from Dallas with an unknown plane but appears to be a Bombardier Challenger 300. Everyone knows IU’s biggest booster is Mark Cuban who is likely to foot a large part of Tom Allen’s buyout and probably wants to meet the potential new hire. Cuban owns several private jets. He did arrive to the Ozarks in June aboard a Bombardier jet.
  2. A private flight is arriving from Boca Raton around 2 hours later. It appears IU wants to hire a proven head coach with experience succeeding at a high level. Tom Herman clearly fits that bill and is the head coach at FAU with a buyout of 2.5 million, again likely coming from Mark Cuban.
  3. There was a flight from Boca Raton to Bloomington tonight that appears to have been diverted to Hickory, North Carolina at some point likely due to some rain over the Appalachians.
  4. And they negotiated Tom Allen’s buyout down to 15 million dollars. With a 2.5 million buyout for Tom Herman that's still under the expected payout of 20 million dollars at 17.5 million. Indiana is still under what they expected and get a successful coach.
So does any of this mean that Tom Herman will be the head coach at Indiana? Probably not. Is it fun to speculate wildly? Absolutely.
I’m fully convinced though.

Tom Herman would be a good get, though leaving FAU after only one year would be odd and you'd think any contract with FAU would have big penalties for such an early exit.

The same kind of path that Ole Miss Lane Kiffin took. Big time programs prior (USC and Tennessee), recovery at FAU and landed at Ole Miss. Herman - Houston (big success), Texas (never less than 7 wins but not enough for UT alums), recovery at FAU. Indiana next?

Discounting the prop plane. This would be much easier if we knew the tail numbers of the university planes.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
From Reddit Indy Star's reporting the short list is:

Jason Candle

Chris Creighton

Paul Chryst (kill me)

Willie Fritz

Dan Mullen

Jake Dickert

Charles Huff

Sean Lewis

Barry Odom. Yeah baby.

Jon Sumrall

Kane Wommack

From Reddit Indy Star's reporting the short list is:

Jason Candle

Chris Creighton

Paul Chryst (kill me)

Willie Fritz

Dan Mullen

Jake Dickert

Charles Huff

Sean Lewis

Barry Odom. Yeah baby.

Jon Sumrall

Kane Wommack

They are simply regurgitating info from message boards and social media. That’s not even a short list.

Reactions: iueyedoc99
At 22-4, Jon Sumrall is flat out getting the job done down at Troy!! Wow.

Reactions: nichlee
Don't assume because a certain coach won x many games at Texas he'd win a similar number here. Complete nonsense. Texas has it's TV network. Best in state recruiting in the country. Elite facilities. Just on a completely different stratosphere.

Like when UAB and Georgia hired Davis and Crean thinking they'd win like they did at IU. Would never happen.
Just ridiculous.

I'm not assuming anything. There's no guarantee any coach is going to be successful wherever they go next. But you look at their body of work and you play the percentages. And if a school like IU has a chance at a relatively young (48) coach who has enjoyed success leading a power conference program, they should jump at the chance.

By the way, Texas isn't the only school where Herman has done well. He had great success at Houston, at the time an AAC (Group of Five) school. His predecessor at Houston went 21-17 before being terminated. Herman then went 22-4 including a Peach Bowl win and a #8 national ranking.

You're not thinking clearly. Or maybe you're just uninformed.

Just ridiculous.

I'm not assuming anything. There's no guarantee any coach is going to be successful wherever they go next. But you look at their body of work and you play the percentages. And if a school like IU has a chance at a relatively young (48) coach who has enjoyed success leading a power conference program, they should jump at the chance.

By the way, Texas isn't the only school where Herman has done well. He had great success at Houston, at the time an AAC (Group of Five) school. His predecessor at Houston went 21-17 before being terminated. Herman then went 22-4 including a Peach Bowl win and a #8 national ranking.

You're not thinking clearly. Or maybe you're just uninformed.
Never said he wouldn't be a good hire. Probably would be. But it would be nothing like the basketball program hiring Billy Donovan. Not even close.

Found on Reddit :D

Is Tom Herman the next Indiana Head Coach? An Investigation​

There are two interesting flights into Bloomington tomorrow and one from today.
  1. A private flight is arriving at Bloomington at noon from Dallas with an unknown plane but appears to be a Bombardier Challenger 300. Everyone knows IU’s biggest booster is Mark Cuban who is likely to foot a large part of Tom Allen’s buyout and probably wants to meet the potential new hire. Cuban owns several private jets. He did arrive to the Ozarks in June aboard a Bombardier jet.
  2. A private flight is arriving from Boca Raton around 2 hours later. It appears IU wants to hire a proven head coach with experience succeeding at a high level. Tom Herman clearly fits that bill and is the head coach at FAU with a buyout of 2.5 million, again likely coming from Mark Cuban.
  3. There was a flight from Boca Raton to Bloomington tonight that appears to have been diverted to Hickory, North Carolina at some point likely due to some rain over the Appalachians.
  4. And they negotiated Tom Allen’s buyout down to 15 million dollars. With a 2.5 million buyout for Tom Herman that's still under the expected payout of 20 million dollars at 17.5 million. Indiana is still under what they expected and get a successful coach.
So does any of this mean that Tom Herman will be the head coach at Indiana? Probably not. Is it fun to speculate wildly? Absolutely.
I’m fully convinced though.
Cuban has nothing to do with football

I can't sit here and say he's a bad choice but it lacks the luster, if you will. He took over a program that had 6 consecutive bowl games and arguably they've gone backwards. They finished 2nd in the P-12 North when he was temporarily hired mid-season. Then they finished 7th in 2022 and 9th this year (including losing 7 of his last 8 games). He is 15-16 overall and 9-13 in the conference.

2021 - 3-3
2022 - 7-6
2023 - 5-7

He curb stomped a 4-win Washington team in the Apple Cup in 2021 but that's why the Washington coach was fired and DeBoer was hired. That feat hasn't since been repeated.
That was my reaction as well. I didn't find his resume' all that impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT