ADVERTISEMENT

JMU Portal Tracker

Gotta think there is a decent chance their QB McCloud ends up here for his last year. We could use an experienced QB.
I'm not accusing any of you who have posted previously in this thread, but I do find it a bit ironic that some on this board are 100% supportive of JMU kids (and portal transfers from other schools- including several who haven't been affective by coaching changes) leaving their programs and coming here. At the same time, they consider the IU kids who have entered the portal ungrateful, disloyal POS deserving of scorn and ridicule for not waiting until a new coach was in place. If I'm not mistaken, JMU hasn't named a new coach yet. Butthurt hypocrites are the worst kind of hypocrites.

Gotta think there is a decent chance their QB McCloud ends up here for his last year. We could use an experienced QB.
If I'm Sorsby, I'd look at the success CCC has had in developing QBs and might regret entering the portal. McCloud has 1 year remaining and Sorsby has 2 more. He could learn a lot from the Shanahan and the Tino coming in.

I really don’t see Sorsby coming back,he hit the portal awful quick.
Probably already has a nice NIL deal elsewhere.
You might be correct, but it happens a lot. The vast majority of players love their coaches, and they're genuinely hurt when those coaches get fired. Any of us who have (or have had) kids that age know how reactionary they can be. Social media allows them to make their thoughts immediately public. When Archie Miller was fired, damn near every player hit the portal, and almost all of them returned after talking to Woody. Of course, NIL was a brand new thing then, and now it has developed to the point that the predators can pounce as soon as they hear a name that interests them (or even before).

The singular worst thing about NIL in my opinion is that there is no mechanism to monitor and punish outright tampering. Until there is some method of regulating in place, I don't see a way to prevent it, either. I do wish the NCAA would simply require ALL transfers to sit out a year with no loss of eligibility. The player would not be harmed, and poachers would not have the incentive to plug immediate needs by actively seeking to buy new players. It might also make players a bit more reluctant to bail on their school, knowing that they would have to sit the next season.

I really don’t see Sorsby coming back,he hit the portal awful quick.
Probably already has a nice NIL deal elsewhere.

Rumors are going around Sorsby has been offered some pretty good NIL money.

The numbers thrown around are more then the rumored amount that McCullough was asking from IU last year, so take that how you want.

Sorsby is a Texas kid who was under recruited out of HS. IU was his only big time offer. I’m not surprised he would look as I’m sure there are plenty of schools he may have wanted that could now be options for him. I’d love for him to stay and develop but there will be plenty of options for IU. If Tayven or Dexter stay I’d say we will be okay figuring they will pick up at least one QB with experience and can develop our others.

I'm not accusing any of you who have posted previously in this thread, but I do find it a bit ironic that some on this board are 100% supportive of JMU kids (and portal transfers from other schools- including several who haven't been affective by coaching changes) leaving their programs and coming here. At the same time, they consider the IU kids who have entered the portal ungrateful, disloyal POS deserving of scorn and ridicule for not waiting until a new coach was in place. If I'm not mistaken, JMU hasn't named a new coach yet. Butthurt hypocrites are the worst kind of hypocrites.
I wouldn't knock any kid who hits the portal. It's the new normal. Most of them will never play pro ball and they should look for the best deal they can get while the getting is good.

I must be really poorly observant. I have not noticed that double standard. I bet some percent of non athlete students change schools and athletes may change for a better NIL deal.
Not necessarily a negative when a kid leaves.

If I'm Sorsby, I'd look at the success CCC has had in developing QBs and might regret entering the portal. McCloud has 1 year remaining and Sorsby has 2 more. He could learn a lot from the Shanahan and the Tino coming in.
Sorsby has 3 years and really the only reason I’d take him back. But I’d prefer one year of McCloud and then letting staff groom the next starter.

After hearing Coach Signetti explain his feelings about 4 and 5 star players, I'm all in on letting him decide what is best for IU's QB situation next year. One thing for certain I'm counting on from the new Coach; the ability to recognize physical toughness and durability in a QB because the big ten is a QB nightmare in terms of avoiding injury.

If I was Sorsby I would be very intrigued by the new offensive coaches we have and would want to learn from them. Might very well help his long term goals.
It absolutely would. The guy just put up the best freshman year for a qb we’ve ever seen. My buddy Kellen Lewis may want a word on that, but it was very close.

I hate it, but I think Student/Athletes concelt is not a factor anymore with the portal. Who knows how long any player will stay at any school. Who knows if any will ever graduates from anywhere.
I agree. Academic performance and standards aren't mentioned much anymore.

There is also a 1,000 yard receiver that played for South Carolina last year but played his first two seasons at JMU that is in the portal. We probably aren't good enough for him but worth noting.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
You can still only transfer once, right? Or are there enough hardship/loophole exceptions that it isn't a real issue?
The JMU QB we are recruiting is at his 3rd school. If he transfers to us, it will be his 4th.

The JMU QB we are recruiting is at his 3rd school. If he transfers to us, it will be his 4th.
So? When looking at prop athletes, how many of them actually stay with one team their whole career? They get traded, are free agents, dropped and picked up by various teams for which they fill a need. College sports are not what they once were.

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT