ADVERTISEMENT

Dang Ol’ GOP SCOTUS Did It Again

Ol' Clarence "What Have You Bought For Me Lately" Thomas never fails to disappoint.
Justice for sale- me and Anita Hill both will celebrate when he’s no longer around on the court. Harlan Crow on the other hand will hate losing that influence.

Reactions: Bowlmania
Justice for sale- me and Anita Hill both will celebrate when he’s no longer around on the court. Harlan Crow on the other hand will hate losing that influence.
Name a decision bought by Crow.

It’s “Anita Hill and I . . .”

Dobbs? Or slow boating presidential immunity to ensure Trump can avoid trial prior to election. Or bump stocks legalization? There is a reason there is division in conservative justices and I for one am glad Thomas and Ailito are unlikely to outlive me. We need centrist jurists again. “Ginny and Clarence Thomas put the coupe in couple”!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: DANC and IU_Hickory
Dobbs? Or slow boating presidential immunity to ensure Trump can avoid trial prior to election. Or bump stocks legalization? There is a reason there is division in conservative justices and I for one am glad Thomas and Ailito are unlikely to outlive me. We need centrist jurists again. “Ginny and Clarence Thomas put the coupe in couple”!
In other words, no, you don’t have any decisions to point to that ties Crow’s influence to it.

• Haha
Reactions: 76-1 and Indyhorn

There's a reason responsible organizations place strict limits on what employees/members can accept as gifts - - typically items of nominal or low value. The purpose is to prevent conflicts of interest, influence-peddling or simply the appearance of influence-peddling.

Thomas has accepted gifts over the years valued in excess of seven figures from Crow, a political activist and major donor to the GOP and causes that align with his and Thomas's shared ideology, including boarding school tuition for Thomas's grandnephew, tens of thousands of dollars for improvements to Thomas's mother's residence, and luxury travel for Clarence and Ginnie including superyacht cruises and private jet transportation. Much of this was not reported by Thomas on financial disclosure forms over the years. Thomas became much more forthcoming beginning with his 2022 disclosures, no doubt as a result of the swirling controversy following the public reporting of his lavish lifestyle.

This conduct is irresponsible and, at a minimum, creates the appearance of a conflict and/or influence-peddling. It also creates the appearance of justice for sale and it's flat-out wrong, irrespective of whether anyone can point to a specific decision that was bought. These guys aren't recording their private conversations when they're sailing off Bali. Again, though, irrespective of what's actually going down, it's horrible optics - - and unethical.

There's a reason responsible organizations place strict limits on what employees/members can accept as gifts - - typically items of nominal or low value. The purpose is to prevent conflicts of interest, influence-peddling or simply the appearance of influence-peddling.

Thomas has accepted gifts over the years valued in excess of seven figures from Crow, a political activist and major donor to the GOP and causes that align with his and Thomas's shared ideology, including boarding school tuition for Thomas's grandnephew, tens of thousands of dollars for improvements to Thomas's mother's residence, and luxury travel for Clarence and Ginnie including superyacht cruises and private jet transportation. Much of this was not reported by Thomas on financial disclosure forms over the years. Thomas became much more forthcoming beginning with his 2022 disclosures, no doubt as a result of the swirling controversy following the public reporting of his lavish lifestyle.

This conduct is irresponsible and, at a minimum, creates the appearance of a conflict and/or influence-peddling. It also creates the appearance of justice for sale and it's flat-out wrong, irrespective of whether anyone can point to a specific decision that was bought. These guys aren't recording their private conversations when they're sailing off Bali. Again, though, irrespective of what's actually going down, it's horrible optics - - and unethical.
I agree that it looks unethical.

Reactions: Indyhorn
Many of the folks here find the concept of thinking & acting objectively foreign & unrelatable. Because they are incapable so is everyone else.
They can be easily mistaken given every Democratic SCOTUS nominee and judge nominee more generally is a partisan hack. They expect the same out of Republicans when in reality it’s just a bunch of milquetoast federalist society duds.

And Merchan?
Every prosecutor, juror and judge for any case Trump loses is or will be a Democrat or Never-Trumper to Trump and his not so merry band of Trumpsters. This is how they roll. Canon will instantly be deemed a Never-Trump traitor should Trump be found guilty in a trial she presides over. It’s as certain as certainty can be.

The Biden's, Pelosi's, Clinton's, etc have made 10s of millions through bribes and insider trading. Just shut up.

This exact post could be made wrt to Merchan donating to Biden’s campaign and “stop republicans” and then presiding over Trumps criminal trial.

I must have missed you making it.

This exact post could be made wrt to Merchan donating to Biden’s campaign and “stop republicans” and then presiding over Trumps criminal trial.

I must have missed you making it.
What lavish gift(s) has Merchan accepted? Who is his wealthy benefactor? What has he done to create the appearance of justice for sale? Why are you clueless?

What lavish gift(s) has Merchan accepted? Who is his wealthy benefactor? What has he done to create the appearance of justice for sale? Why are you clueless?
None of that, but you know that.

This conduct is irresponsible and, at a minimum, creates the appearance of a conflict and/or influence-peddling……..Again, though, irrespective of what's actually going down, it's horrible optics - - and unethical.

You could definitely say this about Merchan presiding over Trumps criminal trial after unethically donating to causes dedicated to stopping his reelection, wouldn’t you agree?

Reactions: DANC
None of that, but you know that.

You could definitely say this about Merchan presiding over Trumps criminal trial after unethically donating to causes dedicated to stopping his reelection, wouldn’t you agree?
In Merchan's case, an ethics panel reviewed his two minor donations (which I think were stupid for him to make) and decided he wasn't ethically compromised and should not be removed from that particular trial. There is no ethics panel for the USSC and there should be. That case shouldn't have been brought, but it's not because of the Judge that Trump was found guilty.

Reactions: UncleMark
In Merchan's case, an ethics panel reviewed his two minor donations (which I think were stupid for him to make) and decided he wasn't ethically compromised and should not be removed from that particular trial. There is no ethics panel for the USSC and there should be. That case shouldn't have been brought, but it's not because of the Judge that Trump was found guilty.
IIRC, Merchan requested the ethics review. Good lawyers and judges will tell you if you feel conflicted enough to make such a request, you are cinflcted, you don’t need an answer. Merchan should have recused. The way he handled the retrial made the point obvious.

In the context of the ridiculousness of the case and the fact that it was the first ever criminal prosecution of a former president, it absolutely created the impression of a conflict of interest

They don’t have any judges in New York that DIDN’T improperly donate money to anti Trump causes?

Reactions: DANC
Every prosecutor, juror and judge for any case Trump loses is or will be a Democrat or Never-Trumper to Trump and his not so merry band of Trumpsters.
This isn’t too hard to figure out Aloha. Every case brought against Trump is the result of hate and/ or Democrat and never Trump politics. Your point would be a lot more interesting if the cases were not unprecedented and unique applications of statutes intended for different purposes.

The only exception could be the records case, and even with that we see the government doing stupid shit because TRUMP!

IIRC, Merchan requested the ethics review. Good lawyers and judges will tell you if you feel conflicted enough to make such a request, you are cinflcted, you don’t need an answer. Merchan should have recused. The way he handled the retrial made the point obvious.
Didn’t matter one way or the other IMO. Trump wasn’t found guilty because of the Judge, but I’d have preferred that trial never happened. I would greatly prefer the federal trials have already have happened.

This isn’t too hard to figure out Aloha. Every case brought against Trump is the result of hate and/ or Democrat and never Trump politics. Your point would be a lot more interesting if the cases were not unprecedented and unique applications of statutes intended for different purposes.

The only exception could be the records case, and even with that we see the government doing stupid shit because TRUMP!
I think you just proved my point.

The documents case is the most important to me.

• Haha
Reactions: Willdog7
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT