ADVERTISEMENT

Finally turned the corner

That sentiment will be greatly contested in the coming few games. IU will play some tough games and may have some lapses. But in general, things are starting to look pretty good defensively.

Reactions: IUPaterade724
I sure hope he writes another article after IU plays it's next six games. Defense has improved no doubt but watch how more talented teams score on us. No way has this team turned any corner. They simply have played bad teams.

I sure hope he writes another article after IU plays it's next six games. Defense has improved no doubt but watch how more talented teams score on us. No way has this team turned any corner. They simply have played bad teams.

Well, considering that a couple of their earlier losses were against bad team, maybe they have turned the "beating the bad teams" corner.

Reactions: 82hoosier
We have been winning the rebound battle. Turnovers have been much improved. The defense continues to improve. The last area to see improvement is in shooting from 3.

The team has played much better since the Wisconsin game. They may need a reminder at times, but I like their effort and attitude. This roster isn't going to beat teams with better talent as we have done in the past, but they will be able to compete and win with better execution. I like the work that CAM has done to change how we play. The players coming next year will find a different culture than what this most recent class came into.

We have been winning the rebound battle. Turnovers have been much improved. The defense continues to improve. The last area to see improvement is in shooting from 3.

The team has played much better since the Wisconsin game. They may need a reminder at times, but I like their effort and attitude. This roster isn't going to beat teams with better talent as we have done in the past, but they will be able to compete and win with better execution. I like the work that CAM has done to change how we play. The players coming next year will find a different culture than what this most recent class came into.
There is a difference in shooting a three point shot and shooting a hurried-contested three point shot. I wouldn't want to play horse from the three point line with any of our guards, but they do struggle collecting themselves quickly in the heat of the moment. Is this a learned skill thing or a tough-coached-kid-nothing-rattles-me thing? How do you coach toughness?

... No way has this team turned any corner. They simply have played bad teams.

Hate to say it... but I agree with you... I think a better way to say it, is that this team has shifted out of reverse and into 1st gear... it will be a while until they are capable of turning a corner... if they cannot play well with DD in the lineup, then there's still a problem... this team has played well without him, just ask yourself why... still have to figure that one out for next season... ball movement in the last game or two has been really fun to watch... rebounding has been a plus as well... I had high hopes for DD to excel this season... I hope he can get completely recovered and be re-introduced into the lineup for next season as a valuable contributor...

Reactions: IUBBALLAWOL
There is a difference in shooting a three point shot and shooting a hurried-contested three point shot. I wouldn't want to play horse from the three point line with any of our guards, but they do struggle collecting themselves quickly in the heat of the moment. Is this a learned skill thing or a tough-coached-kid-nothing-rattles-me thing? How do you coach toughness?
Toughness is hard to teach in college. Toughness is a mindset that becomes part of your personality. Personalities are often set in childhood and are hard to change as adults. Oladipo, Morgan, Moye, and Michael Lewis were tough. Oladipo attacked the rim and played with the attitude that he HAD to win every battle. Moye was the best example of toughness. He had another level of effort he would go to when he faced a bigger player. He did what he needed to do to win. Tough isn't physical, it is mental.

Focus and attention to beating your man and winning every challenge is toughness. Turnovers would be unacceptable for a tough player. They will protect the ball on a drive to the basket and not show it to the bigs for them to take it away.

Reactions: namnik
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT