ADVERTISEMENT

Intel heading towards Kickoff

76-1

Hall of Famer
Mar 22, 2017
Indiana

If coach Allen told Bell to slow down the offense some then I could see IU's defense up to the task and the game could be close. If it is the same hurry up just to make PSU' defense tired, which seems to be what Bell is after, then IU will get whipped as they have to use too many freshmen not ready for B1G play on defense.

I hope we see a new QB starting and an offense with a slower pace not huddling up but a slower pace.

Reactions: ESalum86
If coach Allen told Bell to slow down the offense some then I could see IU's defense up to the task and the game could be close. If it is the same hurry up just to make PSU' defense tired, which seems to be what Bell is after, then IU will get whipped as they have to use too many freshmen not ready for B1G play on defense.

I hope we see a new QB starting and an offense with a slower pace not huddling up but a slower pace.
I respect both your opinion and your coaching background but I don't believe the speed of the offense is the root of our defensive woes...

The problem(s) with this defense begin and end with extraordinarily poor tackling..., wrapped around poor coverage, and a consistent inability to set the edge... All basic fundamentals for any decent defense... That all goes back to Allen and the defensive staff and perhaps even more so our Senior starters...

Major League disappointment across the board on that front (this years Defense). They should all thank their lucky stars that they have an equally pathetic offense to point to as a scapegoat... We're tied for last in the league with Nebraska for points given up... That's not something that can be completely pinned on the offense...

Last edited:
I respect both your opinion and your coaching background but I don't believe the speed of the offense is the root our defensive woes...

The problem(s) with this defense begin and end with extraordinarily poor tackling wrapped around poor coverage and a consistent inability to set the edge... All basic fundamentals for any decent defense... That all goes back to Allen and the defensive staff and perhaps even more so our Senior starters...

Major League disappointment across the board on that front (this years Defense). They should all thank their lucky stars that they have an equally pathetic offense to point to as a scapegoat...
All that was because they had to play so many players for the offense and it hurt the defense to get enough reps needed. Look at how freshman are in to cover receivers because they were rushed in because of the offense. Hence not enough reps for defense especially with player hurt coming back IE Mullen and others. Head just got back in two games.

You need to understand how the fast offense hurts defenses. The defense has to run more than the offense in games so I hope coach fires Bell and gets a better OC after this season. I would make Carey OC/OL coach and bring in a very good QB coach because Bell isn't very good.

Reactions: bwcoach
All that was because they had to play so many players for the offense and it hurt the defense to get enough reps needed. Look at how freshman are in to cover receivers because they were rushed in because of the offense. Hence not enough reps for defense especially with player hurt coming back IE Mullen and others. Head just got back in two games.

You need to understand how the fast offense hurts defenses. The defense has to run more than the offense in games so I hope coach fires Bell and gets a better OC after this season. I would make Carey OC/OL coach and bring in a very good QB coach because Bell isn't very good.
I understand it clearly but I'm not buying that it in any way causes the defense to not wrap up when tackling, to not use proper leverage technique when attempting to cover a guy, and to consistently fail to set the edge..., in Every game we've played... If I see another opponent break contain I think I'll throw up...

Before Allen fires anyone else he'd best look in the freaking mirror and get his own sh-t together...

There's plenty of blame to go around...

Let's hope tomorrow they've cleaned things up on both sides of the ball...

By the way, if Allen wanted Bell to slow things down all he has to do is tell him to do it... He is the HC...

I could rip on Bell and the offense for hours but let's not pretend that the D has been blameless in getting us where we're at...

Last edited:
I understand it clearly but I'm not buying that it in any way causes the defense to not wrap up when tackling, to not use proper leverage technique when attempting to cover a guy, and to consistently fail to set the edge..., in Every game we've played... If I see another opponent break contain I think I'll throw up...

Before Allen fires anyone else he'd best look in the freaking mirror and get his own sh-t together...

By the way, if Allen wanted Bell to slow things down all he has to do is tell him to do it... He is the HC...

I could rip on Bell and the offense for hours but let's not pretend that the D has been blameless in getting us where we're at...
The whole kit and kaboodle is rotten. That’s why the head man needs to be on the chopping block

I don't deny the defense has issues but they are exacerbated by the offensive issues. I have always had some issues with the way Allen runs his defense and thought Wommack had a better handle on the defense. There are many things that need to be addressed but you can't wipe out the whole staff and think things will be better. Change what you can needs to be the mantra after the season as coach needs to hire a better OL coach. He needs to decide if the hurry up offense is worth the headaches or if a new OC is needed.

Can coach Allen make needed changes to get IU back or will IU need a new HC?

Reactions: midwolfe and 76-1

Excellent post - spot on!!!

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT