ADVERTISEMENT

Finally got some planting done today.

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Corn, peas and bush beans.

I'll be doing a three sisters thing and putting in the pole beans and squash as soon as the corn is tall enough to support.

Got bit in the forearm by a little ant. Itches like hell.

I put in some tomatoes and red bell peppers on the side and in the raised garden I put in cilantro, basil, lettuce, habaneros and a little bit of cucumber.

Last year the cucumber killed everything after a while so I'm going to keep a closer eye on it this time around...

I put in some tomatoes and red bell peppers on the side and in the raised garden I put in cilantro, basil, lettuce, habaneros and a little bit of cucumber.

Last year the cucumber killed everything after a while so I'm going to keep a closer eye on it this time around...

My cucumber didn't produce last year. A lot of things didn't. They grew, but either didn't flower or didn't produce fruit. I think my soil simply ran out of nutrients. I mixed last year's compost in before I planted this year, plus I covered each row with a thin layer of rotten hay. So I'm hoping that will be enough to get over the hump.

I started this garden with pretty much nothing but pure clay two years ago. Two years of hay, manure and tilling under weeds have gradually turned the soil darker and darker. I'm hoping this is the year stuff finally thrives.

I tried cucmbers for the first time last year. Disaster. The plants grew out of control and choked off nearly everything else. Then there eventually were a ton of cucumbers, but they never fully ripened in time and it all ended up dying before I got a single usable cuke.

This year it's strictly chile peppers, basil, rosemary, and a couple of potted tomato plants for the wife.

I tried cucmbers for the first time last year. Disaster. The plants grew out of control and choked off nearly everything else. Then there eventually were a ton of cucumbers, but they never fully ripened in time and it all ended up dying before I got a single usable cuke.

This year it's strictly chile peppers, basil, rosemary, and a couple of potted tomato plants for the wife.

If you have tomato cages put that around your cucumbers direct them up the cage as they grow. Grows them up instead of out. Also easy to pick. Little trick my uncle taught me. Works really well for him.

I planted tomato's jalapeño green/yellow peppers, green beans, beets (will replant in August) radishes (same as beets), zucchini and onions.

May try egg plant and a few others need to expand the garden some.

I've got tomatoes on the vine growing right now, a bell pepper growing, watermelon and cucumbers flowering, and the romaine actually looks like it's going to give me a few good heads as well. Carrots are looking healthy as are the shallots and onion. Not a bad little container garden.

My peach tree is fruiting for the first time. Need to study up.

I have a lemon tree that started from a compost pile about 7-8 years ago. The thing has been killed back completely at least 4 times now but keeps coming back each time. I've never gotten it to produce blooms, let alone flowers, but that doesn't really surprise me. I'm hoping maybe I can get it to survive through a couple of years without a kill back it might actually bloom for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT