ADVERTISEMENT

Fighting to Vote...the ongoing history of vote supression NYR of Books

iu_a_att

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 20, 2001
Michael Tomasky reviews The Embattled Vote in America: From the Founding to the Present
ir

by Allan J. Lichtman

The review provides very thorough tour through Lichtman's book and the ongoing history of vote suppression in America for those with eyes to see and ears to hear. The book says that we are currently in the third wave of vote suppression that is the essence of the white supremacy movement that has haunted American history. The first wave started at the very beginning with the disenfranchisement of women and minorities. The second wave started after reconstruction with the Jim Crow era (lasted 100 years). The third wave commenced with the inauguration of the southern strategy that debuted in 1964 even before the passage of the voting rights act in 1965 and is reaching new levels of blatant discrimination by the day.
Nothing that Republicans are doing today is new. In the early days of the republic, Lichtman writes, members of Alexander Hamilton’s Federalist Party raised regular allegations of voter fraud and sought to require men to bring to the polls proof of their property qualifications. As for “ballot security,” as the Republicans sometimes call their efforts, the GOP rolled out “Operation Eagle Eye” back in 1964, the first modern election in which the party sought to appeal to the racist vote. Eagle Eye targeted heavily Democratic, mostly minority precincts in thirty-six cities. It was based on a program that had already been tried in Arizona, which involved voter intimidation, the circulation of handbills warning that if you had outstanding parking tickets you couldn’t vote—the usual tricks. It didn’t work, but no one was ever known to have been caught and prosecuted or punished for it in any way. One of the participants in the Arizona program, William Rehnquist, was “punished” a quarter-century later by being confirmed as the sixteenth chief justice of the Supreme Court.
What at the time might have seemed like a marriage of convenience between business interests and the racist right is increasingly showing that the devil always wins such deals. The book provides one particularly compelling story of where things are:
Lichtman draws attention, as some journalists have, to the case of Rosanell Eaton, who grew up in North Carolina in the Jim Crow era and joined an NAACP lawsuit against VIVA as a plaintiff. In a book that is mostly a straightforward history-from-above narrative, Eaton’s story provides one of the more gripping passages:

In 1942, Eaton rode for two miles on a mule-drawn wagon to register to vote at the Franklin County courthouse. Three white male officials confronted her. They ordered her to stand up straight, keep her arms at her side, and recite from memory the preamble to the Constitution. She did so word for word and then passed a written literacy test, becoming one of the few African Americans of her era to vote in North Carolina.

Seven decades later, Lichtman writes, “Eaton had a much harder time qualifying to vote under North Carolina’s new law.” She had a driver’s license, but the names on her license and her voter-registration card did not match exactly. She made eleven trips to the Department of Motor Vehicles, two different Social Security offices, and three banks before everything was rectified. “I was hoping I would be dead before I’d have to see all this again,” she said.​

Michael Tomasky reviews The Embattled Vote in America: From the Founding to the Present
ir

by Allan J. Lichtman

The review provides very thorough tour through Lichtman's book and the ongoing history of vote suppression in America for those with eyes to see and ears to hear. The book says that we are currently in the third wave of vote suppression that is the essence of the white supremacy movement that has haunted American history. The first wave started at the very beginning with the disenfranchisement of women and minorities. The second wave started after reconstruction with the Jim Crow era (lasted 100 years). The third wave commenced with the inauguration of the southern strategy that debuted in 1964 even before the passage of the voting rights act in 1965 and is reaching new levels of blatant discrimination by the day.
Nothing that Republicans are doing today is new. In the early days of the republic, Lichtman writes, members of Alexander Hamilton’s Federalist Party raised regular allegations of voter fraud and sought to require men to bring to the polls proof of their property qualifications. As for “ballot security,” as the Republicans sometimes call their efforts, the GOP rolled out “Operation Eagle Eye” back in 1964, the first modern election in which the party sought to appeal to the racist vote. Eagle Eye targeted heavily Democratic, mostly minority precincts in thirty-six cities. It was based on a program that had already been tried in Arizona, which involved voter intimidation, the circulation of handbills warning that if you had outstanding parking tickets you couldn’t vote—the usual tricks. It didn’t work, but no one was ever known to have been caught and prosecuted or punished for it in any way. One of the participants in the Arizona program, William Rehnquist, was “punished” a quarter-century later by being confirmed as the sixteenth chief justice of the Supreme Court.
What at the time might have seemed like a marriage of convenience between business interests and the racist right is increasingly showing that the devil always wins such deals. The book provides one particularly compelling story of where things are:
Lichtman draws attention, as some journalists have, to the case of Rosanell Eaton, who grew up in North Carolina in the Jim Crow era and joined an NAACP lawsuit against VIVA as a plaintiff. In a book that is mostly a straightforward history-from-above narrative, Eaton’s story provides one of the more gripping passages:

In 1942, Eaton rode for two miles on a mule-drawn wagon to register to vote at the Franklin County courthouse. Three white male officials confronted her. They ordered her to stand up straight, keep her arms at her side, and recite from memory the preamble to the Constitution. She did so word for word and then passed a written literacy test, becoming one of the few African Americans of her era to vote in North Carolina.

Seven decades later, Lichtman writes, “Eaton had a much harder time qualifying to vote under North Carolina’s new law.” She had a driver’s license, but the names on her license and her voter-registration card did not match exactly. She made eleven trips to the Department of Motor Vehicles, two different Social Security offices, and three banks before everything was rectified. “I was hoping I would be dead before I’d have to see all this again,” she said.​

Maybe if we’re nicer to republicans they won’t make it harder for people to vote.

Maybe if we’re nicer to republicans they won’t make it harder for people to vote.

Demographic changes will win out, ultimately.

You’re seeing a power grab from the minority party (in terms of registration & sympathies). Keep in mind that the biggest political affiliation isn’t a party at all- independents make up the largest potion of the electorate.

The best example of the power grab is what’s going on in NC. It’s insanity how transparent the pub party is about trying to minimize the dem governor, and also how they nakedly tried to gerrymander (twice) based explicitly on racial data.

The same pattern is also playing out in Georgia- the current SOS is doing everything in his power to suppress voter turnout/registration. Oh, and he just happens to be the pub candidate for governor. Individually, his actions might look somewhat legit (excepting the exact match requirement & the amateur handwriting analysis stuff). Taken together, it’s pretty damn clear what his intent is. But I think it’ll ultimately backfire- the surest way to get someone to do something is to tell them they can’t do it.

I suspect we’ll see more and more of this, until enough people get pissed off, shake off their voting apathy, and vote. The Dems largely fell asleep at the wheel during the Obama era in terms of focusing on putting good candidates out at every level- and it’s cost them.

I really hope these efforts spur more interest in education about issues/policies, and ultimately translates into a higher percentage of people voting. No matter what party they back.

As a side note, I saw where projections show that this is likely to be the highest percentage of voters that vote in a midterm since 1966. That’s pretty awesome. I hope it continues.

Demographic changes will win out, ultimately.

You’re seeing a power grab from the minority party (in terms of registration & sympathies). Keep in mind that the biggest political affiliation isn’t a party at all- independents make up the largest potion of the electorate.

The best example of the power grab is what’s going on in NC. It’s insanity how transparent the pub party is about trying to minimize the dem governor, and also how they nakedly tried to gerrymander (twice) based explicitly on racial data.

The same pattern is also playing out in Georgia- the current SOS is doing everything in his power to suppress voter turnout/registration. Oh, and he just happens to be the pub candidate for governor. Individually, his actions might look somewhat legit (excepting the exact match requirement & the amateur handwriting analysis stuff). Taken together, it’s pretty damn clear what his intent is. But I think it’ll ultimately backfire- the surest way to get someone to do something is to tell them they can’t do it.

I suspect we’ll see more and more of this, until enough people get pissed off, shake off their voting apathy, and vote. The Dems largely fell asleep at the wheel during the Obama era in terms of focusing on putting good candidates out at every level- and it’s cost them.

I really hope these efforts spur more interest in education about issues/policies, and ultimately translates into a higher percentage of people voting. No matter what party they back.

As a side note, I saw where projections show that this is likely to be the highest percentage of voters that vote in a midterm since 1966. That’s pretty awesome. I hope it continues.

I’ve read estimates that ~100 million people who would’ve been eligible to vote in 2016 didn’t even bother. I don’t know how that breaks down as far as who’s actually registered and all that. The numbers are out there.

I’ve read estimates that ~100 million people who would’ve been eligible to vote in 2016 didn’t even bother. I don’t know how that breaks down as far as who’s actually registered and all that. The numbers are out there.

It blows my mind. In TX, it’s not that they’re registered, and they won’t vote. Many aren’t even registered. It’s ridiculous.

What really pisses me off is young people either not voting because they don’t think they’re educated enough (all while the scared silly blue hairs watch Fox News 24/7 and know even less than they do) OR they want to take a stand, and vote third party. Which is always a throwaway vote, at least for a presidential candidate.

I’ve been very active in encouraging everyone around me to vote- regardless of how I think they will vote. I’ve brought my kids with me to the polls the last few times- I want to ingrain within them that voting is really important.

ir

by Allan J. Lichtman

Making 11 trips to a government agency is an example of government activity which is plodding. It's not about hating minorities. Who here loves to call any government office?

It blows my mind. In TX, it’s not that they’re registered, and they won’t vote. Many aren’t even registered. It’s ridiculous.

What really pisses me off is young people either not voting because they don’t think they’re educated enough (all while the scared silly blue hairs watch Fox News 24/7 and know even less than they do) OR they want to take a stand, and vote third party. Which is always a throwaway vote, at least for a presidential candidate.

I’ve been very active in encouraging everyone around me to vote- regardless of how I think they will vote. I’ve brought my kids with me to the polls the last few times- I want to ingrain within them that voting is really important.

Young people not voting never made sense to me. Political decisions will have longer lasting effects on someone 18-20 years old than someone 70-80 years old.

Here's the problem. Party affiliation is self-described. In recent history, a majority of so-called "independents" have actually been reliable Republican voters. That skews the numbers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT