ADVERTISEMENT

FEMA

The emergency food and shelter fund is irrelevant to this debate. It has nothing to do with disaster relief.
Never mind. I went back and reread this thread and twenty clearly and without ambiguity demonstrated that you're plain wrong on this last week. It doesn't affect you. I think your hatred of Democrats had made it difficult for you to discriminate reality from fantasy.
The Emergency Food and Shelter Fund was never intended for migrant relief. Mayorkas used that fund by saying migrants posed an emergenctpy. FWIW, Congress created a separate migrant fund in 2022. That is the fund the press is using to justify Mayorkas’ use of FEMA. Funds for migrants. That fund and the use of it is irrelevant. .

Back to the Emergency Food and Shelter Fund. That is more or less a duplicate of the Rec Cross. It will fund food and shelter for emergencies, or even disasters, for those in areas not receiving a presidential disaster declaration. (Maybe also for declared disasters). The purpose of a presidential declaration is to kick in all the general FEMA disaster relief. There are disasters that don’t receive a declaration. There could be areas outside of a declared disaster who are affected by the disaster. They will be eligible for these funds. An example would be those operating shelters for the displaced people.

Bottom line is Mayorkas used these emergency funds for migrants, a problem of his own making, then played hide the ball. This fund is not for migrant relief. When government and big media quickly sync up on a narrative, it’s a good bet that you are being conned.

• Love
Reactions: ulrey and stollcpa
I think the confusion is two similarly named programs. There once was a Emergency Food and Shelter Program. In 2023 Congress renamed it and specifically tasked it to help migrants.

The Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2023 (P.L. 117-328) directed the establishment of a new grant program—the Shelter and Services Program (SSP).89 Specifically, the Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act, 2023 (Div. F, Title II of P.L. 117-328), transferred $800 million from CBP to FEMA “to support sheltering and related activities provided by non-Federal entities, including facility improvements and construction, in support of relieving overcrowding in short-term holding facilities of [CBP].”90​
...​
Through the Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act, 2023 (Div. F, Title II of P.L. 117-328), Congress made funding available for FEMA to implement the EFSP-H in a different manner than EFSP-H had previously been authorized. Instead of appropriating a set amount of funding directly to FEMA for the EFSP-H, Section 211(a) stated that a portion of the $800 million—specifically, up to $785 million—may potentially be used to provide shelter and supportive services to migrants encountered by DHS through EFSP-H.92 Although it was initially unclear how much, if any, funding would be provided for the EFSP-H, FEMA awarded grants of $75 million and $350 million of the potentially available $785 million (totaling $425 million) for the EFSP-H.93​
So there you have it, the money was properly spent in immigrants, end of story. No money from disaster relief was spent, end of story.

Except it won't be because - POLITICAL GAIN!.

I don't know why CO is so angry that the executive branch spent the money exactly as congress intended.

Now, let's see if he provides a link proving the Congressional Research Service is wrong.
Can we address the underlying issue? Why are we spending nearly a billion dollars housing, etc. people here illegally? Why shouldn’t and why can’t the United States control the number and type of people immigrating here?

We can tie that to another question related to this thread: why are we subsidizing people to live in places where hurricanes are normal, annual events?

Can we address the underlying issue? Why are we spending nearly a billion dollars housing, etc. people here illegally? Why shouldn’t and why can’t the United States control the number and type of people immigrating here?

We can tie that to another question related to this thread: why are we subsidizing people to live in places where hurricanes are normal, annual events?

The first question I have no answer for. I've argued for more funding (though I find walls to be more symbolic than practical. Illegal becomes a question in that the world has long held some people are allowed to seek protection. So only those that do not qualify are illegal. And that does appear to be a good percentage.

The second question is that we know the world is warming (many of those who don't agree with the A believe in GW). We need people to stay away from areas next to the ocean.

The second half is what happened in NC. An organization tried to get NC to tighten its building codes, including building in flood plains. NC made it optional*. We need to take flood plains more seriously, and we need to rethink what a 100-year flood is. Evidence is such floods are now more common than 100 years in most areas.

* In all probability the code would have made little difference. Older homes would have been grandfathered in, so since 2019 or so only so many new homes have been built. Building them up 1 foot probably would have made little difference in a thousand year flood. But we need to take this more seriously going forward, and yes, it will unfortunately make many homes more expensive.

Reactions: BradStevens

that was my response. we're losing the forest for the trees. i understand there's political points to be gained by the source of the funding but the fact remains we're spending that much money on illegals is ridiculous. illegals who will be converted to entitlements. because of biden's harris' feelz.

as for subsidizing i tend to agree. let fla take care of itself. continue with its state agency budgets and ramp up the florida disaster fund.

fla is going to hit an inflection point soon. unaffordability from repairs, insurance, etc

Reactions: DANC
The Emergency Food and Shelter Fund was never intended for migrant relief. Mayorkas used that fund by saying migrants posed an emergenctpy. FWIW, Congress created a separate migrant fund in 2022. That is the fund the press is using to justify Mayorkas’ use of FEMA. Funds for migrants. That fund and the use of it is irrelevant. .

Back to the Emergency Food and Shelter Fund. That is more or less a duplicate of the Rec Cross. It will fund food and shelter for emergencies, or even disasters, for those in areas not receiving a presidential disaster declaration. (Maybe also for declared disasters). The purpose of a presidential declaration is to kick in all the general FEMA disaster relief. There are disasters that don’t receive a declaration. There could be areas outside of a declared disaster who are affected by the disaster. They will be eligible for these funds. An example would be those operating shelters for the displaced people.

Bottom line is Mayorkas used these emergency funds for migrants, a problem of his own making, then played hide the ball. This fund is not for migrant relief. When government and big media quickly sync up on a narrative, it’s a good bet that you are being conned.

Emergency Food and Shelter fund has NOTHING to do with natural disasters. It was program that's existed since the 80s to deal with general homelessness. And contrary to it's name, has nothing to do with 'Emergencies'.. Other than if you are personally homeless or hungry that's a bit of of an emergency.

It morphed into migrant relief starting in 2019 at the request of the Trump admin.

Here's a background from the very staunch anti-immigration group CIS.

Key quote:

That said, Congress bears some responsibility for going along with it all, because they appropriated the money for ESFP-H and SSP (both “A” and “C”).

Because our immigration laws are fkd and ridiculously outdated. And tied to international agreements re 'migrants' that stem from WW2.

As such, many of these people aren't technically 'illegal'

that was my response. we're losing the forest for the trees. i understand there's political points to be gained by the source of the funding but the fact remains we're spending that much money on illegals is ridiculous. illegals who will be converted to entitlements. because of biden's harris' feelz.

as for subsidizing i tend to agree. let fla take care of itself. continue with its state agency budgets and ramp up the florida disaster fund.

fla is going to hit an inflection point soon. unaffordability from repairs, insurance, etc
My client in Ft Myers getting ready to be hit for the third time in less than 2 years may reach that point after Milton.

Because the two parties want cheap labor and the monetary system.

Reactions: ulrey
Because our immigration laws are fkd and ridiculously outdated. And tied to international agreements re 'migrants' that stem from WW2.

As such, many of these people aren't technically 'illegal'
And tied to the Cold War. We wanted our allies to accept as many communist refugees as humanly possible. So we based a lot of our laws on what we wanted Europe to do with Poles, East Germans, etc.

Reactions: twenty02

It seems that arguing and pointing fingers about issues garners more votes than actually fixing them. In others words, it's our fault.

I all too well remember Ian that was tracking towards Tampa until it turned a bit south. Your going to be on the dirty side of the storm no matter what, it's just to what degree.

Our family's place on FMB is just now ready to be back open, 2 years later. And this is setup to be possibly as bad. Obviously very different for you inland and you'll probably be fine. But being without power for prolonged period your probably biggest issue.
They've shut off water to FMB and evacuated it.

We weren't down here during Ian but my sister was staying at our place. Power was out from Tuesday to Sunday, but I came down to get her on Wednesday. Our community was fine, but the rest of the area was a disaster area.

Eff the car, don't you float away. Be safe.
Thanks. Decided to head to an AirBnB on Hallandale Beach, around Ft. Lauderdale. Leaving early tomorrow - they keep moving the time later when it will hit land.

I personally would have rather stayed here and added riding out a hurricane to my list of experiences, but my daughter was freaking out and it spooked my wife.

What the hell - I'm retired. I don't have to be anywhere.

My client in Ft Myers getting ready to be hit for the third time in less than 2 years may reach that point after Milton.
Our waitress last night said this was going to be her third time and, if her place was damaged, she was done.

A lot of people interviewed on the news say the same thing.

Thanks. Decided to head to an AirBnB on Hallandale Beach, around Ft. Lauderdale. Leaving early tomorrow - they keep moving the time later when it will hit land.

I personally would have rather stayed here and added riding out a hurricane to my list of experiences, but my daughter was freaking out and it spooked my wife.

Glad to hear it

They've shut off water to FMB and evacuated it.
Yeah, my wife mentioned to me last night that they were planning on doing that (killing the water). It's an interesting choice and I honestly don't know if it's a good idea or a bad idea.

Good in that A) it protects the water supply so that if a major break develops, you don't lose all that fresh water and B) a bit of extra incentive to try and kick out those who were in the "brave it out" mindset.

Bad idea in that C) If it doesn't end up being as bad as it's being hyped, there are people that are going to stay regardless and could be negatively affected (perhaps even severely) by the lack of water and D) I think there are technically some potential minor problems that can occur when you drain a system and then repressurize it. They could end up breaking the system by trying to save it.

Yeah, my wife mentioned to me last night that they were planning on doing that (killing the water). It's an interesting choice and I honestly don't know if it's a good idea or a bad idea.

Good in that A) it protects the water supply so that if a major break develops, you don't lose all that fresh water and B) a bit of extra incentive to try and kick out those who were in the "brave it out" mindset.

Bad idea in that C) If it doesn't end up being as bad as it's being hyped, there are people that are going to stay regardless and could be negatively affected (perhaps even severely) by the lack of water and D) I think there are technically some potential minor problems that can occur when you drain a system and then repressurize it. They could end up breaking the system by trying to save it.
I thought it was unusual, but maybe they learned something from Ian.

You can park your car at the Mercato parking garage!

Time is of the essence in these situations. Government is not nimble enough for these situations.

However, the active military is geared for quick reaction (most are, anyway, especially combat units like the 82nd and 101st). Marines, of course. And they have the heavy equipment necessary to get in there and move what needs to be moved.

The National Guard is fine, but it's also relatively slow moving to get them involved.

If Trump gets elected, I hope he puts JD on a mission to transform FEMA into a more nimble operation that can work with state and local government for quick reaction.

Situations like this make me want to be a prepper. So many things can go wrong in a hurry - should have learned my lesson during Covid. At least I have 2 years of toilet paper now.
As I suggested last week, all of us should inform ourselves better as to the limits of the feds' legal authority to send troops to invade a state that is suffering a natural disaster.

When Katrina hit, the Republican feds were not given permission for several days to send troops into Louisianna because the La. Governor did not request federal assistance immediately. So, the Republican feds had no authority to act as quickly as many of their critics assumed.

And, to be blunt, Florida is the third most populous state and NC is the ninth most populous. They both already own some helicopters, have already budgeted Civil Defense departments, have already warehoused some bottled water, and already have the legal authority (so far as I know) to send their own local National Guard units to the disaster areas within their own state borders.

What did those state governments do? Florida and NC aren't helpless like Haiti. DeSantis even acts like he has rejected at least some federal aid for now.

I hear critics saying "no more free cheese," "no more government benefits," but when they think there is a chance to blame the current federal administration, here they come blaming and blasting.

And yes, DANC, we all should consider becoming "preppers" a little bit. (No sensible person thinks any government has the practical ability to drop in and restore everything immediately after the TV weather guys say the hurricane has passed.) Mother Nature is big and badass. Humans are not.

No they weren’t. The airspace was not shut down to aid and rescues. But we understand why you need to believe it
Do they claim any of the helicopters owned by the state police and National Guard of FLA and NC were denied airspace to deliver needed supplies?

MAGAs forget -- state governments also have the tactical ability to deliver supplies.

Emergency Food and Shelter fund has NOTHING to do with natural disasters. It was program that's existed since the 80s to deal with general homelessness. And contrary to it's name, has nothing to do with 'Emergencies'.. Other than if you are personally homeless or hungry that's a bit of of an emergency.

It morphed into migrant relief starting in 2019 at the request of the Trump admin.

Here's a background from the very staunch anti-immigration group CIS.

Key quote:

That said, Congress bears some responsibility for going along with it all, because they appropriated the money for ESFP-H and SSP (both “A” and “C”).
I don’t think I disagree with the history. But the history doesn’t address Mayorkas’ spending choices of those funds under his discretion, and it doesn’t explain why Mayorkas said what he said, or didn’t say what he should have said.

Incidentally, Trumps’ spending choices were disclosed as required and Marv linked. I didn’t see a similar Mayorkas disclosure.

Fraud. By Harris. Media. All of them.
Oh my God McMurtry. Your post is silly.

You have previously stressed that your undying support for Trump is based solely on your personal hope that Trump's reelection would tie-up the federal government and prevent any federal action.

Now you've changed -- you claim somebody is committing "fraud." You're a lawyer. What is the "fraud."

Musk posted videos of his helicoptor not being allowed to land by FEMA on the ground.

But we understand why you would deny video evidence.
FEMA you say. Sure it wasn't the FAA?

Does Musk know the difference?

I
Oh my God McMurtry. Your post is silly.

You have previously stressed that your undying support for Trump is based solely on your personal hope that Trump's reelection would tie-up the federal government and prevent any federal action.

Now you've changed -- you claim somebody is committing "fraud." You're a lawyer. What is the "fraud."
I don’t remember the topic. Probably concealing Biden’s actual condition. He’s sharp as a razor. Strong as ever. They perpetuated a fraud on the American people. They knew. Harris is a pos. No different than trump. In many ways worse.

Reactions: ulrey
I'm not spewing anything. Musk's helicoptor was denied clearance to land and contacted Bootyjudge directly and got permission to land.

lmao Did they think the Russians were invading? North Koreans?
Or, did they think the States of Florida, NC etc. had the right to demand the feds to control who is flying into a disaster zone?

After all, it could have been silly people like FoxNews, CNN or The Weather Channel getting in the way of legitimate emergency efforts to get a good camera angle.

Maybe you think Musk should get a free pass?

I

I don’t remember the topic. Probably concealing Biden’s actual condition. He’s sharp as a razor. Strong as ever. They perpetuated a fraud on the American people. They knew. Harris is a pos. No different than trump. In many ways worse.
Direct quote from McMurtry: "i don't remember the topic."

Compare to MAGA Spartans' Post 170 claiming that Biden didn't "remember" which storm.

I guess that means McMurtry might be qualified to be President despite his admitted lack of memory. 😬

(See, McMurtry -- healthcare is more important than your boy Trump treats it.)

Compare to MAGA Spartans' Post 170 claiming that Biden didn't "remember" which storm.

I guess that means McMurtry might be qualified to be President despite his admitted lack of memory. 😬

You’re an idiot

Yes exactly. She perpetuated a fraud on the public with yet another lie. Together walz and Harris lie about the biggest and smallest things.

I did like how the 60 minutes reporter wouldn’t let her off the hook about her absurd border policies. I’m curious. What progressive policies do you like?

Reactions: Spartans9312
I hurt for them. These are folks who both worked their asses off on the farm for everything they have. No inheritances. They borrowed money to buy farm land. They lived with no extravagances and paid the loans off.

They’re watching it all being washed away.

I hurt for them. These are folks who both worked their asses off on the farm for everything they have. No inheritances. They borrowed money to buy farm land. They lived with no extravagances and paid the loans off.

They’re watching it all being washed away.
Hopefully there are no shenanigans and they get made “whole”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT