ADVERTISEMENT

Fan support- BTT and NCAAs

.Gerdis

All-Big Ten
Dec 10, 2003
During the Maryland game at the United Center, Hummel mentioned IU’s lack of a BTT title being remarkable considering that for the entire history of the tournament IU gets a home crowd type atmosphere.

During Friday’s game, the massive (and boisterous) IU contingent was a factor. In the BTT last year, IU probably gets absolutely smoked by UM if that game is played in Detroit instead of indy (“AH north”).

25 years of games in chicago and indy and it’s a huge head shaker that we haven’t won several of these things.

The fan support is there for NCAA games too. That was a big reason that we made the tournament last year after winning the play in game in Dayton. Dayton was basically a home game.

So, good job IU fans.

It does also feel like the fan enthusiasm and energy level is spiked this year. I’m sure ticket demand is much higher. When the camera was panning to the UC crowd on Friday, those were fans acting as if this is the best chance in decades to do something special.

PSU was a bummer, should be interesting to see where we play next week. I expect IU fans to be out in force.

Reactions: Paterfamilias
The problem for the future of fandom is that those of us “youngest” who got to experience real success are in our 50’s now…. If we don’t make a real run within the next 10 years I think we’ll start seeing the crowds and the excitement dissipate. Next year post TJD is a real litmus test on where Woody’s ultimate place will be in the pantheon. But let’s make something big happen these next 3 weekends first

The problem for the future of fandom is that those of us “youngest” who got to experience real success are in our 50’s now…. If we don’t make a real run within the next 10 years I think we’ll start seeing the crowds and the excitement dissipate. Next year post TJD is a real litmus test on where Woody’s ultimate place will be in the pantheon. But let’s make something big happen these next 3 weekends first

the Cubs were hapless for 100 years and its fanbase kept growing...

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Yeah….

I try to make it Evanston each time we play. 10 years ago I recall being in a section of people with “we’re back “ tee shirts on, all cheering Hoo Hoo Hoosiers. They seemed young, at least younger than me, younger than most of the people wearing red that day.

I couldn’t help wonder, how long they had been fans, and how much winning had they seen?

Now, those folks fans are all older. They’ve boxed up their tee shirts. Time moves on. And the fan base changes. We have a generation of fans ready to buy a tee shirt with the newest slogan on it.

I too, am proud of the fan base. And, I fear it will not be the same if the Hoosiers don’t “win” something meaningful in the near future.

My wife and I were in Vegas for the AZ game and the couple sitting next to us were AZ fans. We had a nice conversation and he said, “wow, do your fans show up”! Another person stopped me after the game in the MGM Grand and asked, “is the state of Indiana empty? Because everyone is here”.

It’s one thing we as Hoosiers can be proud of. I just hope it lasts…

The facts that TAH has remained sold out and the crowds followed the teams through these dark years surprises even deeply invested fans like me.

This continued even after downloading many Knigh-o-philes that were not IU fans but non grad Knight fans

We have an awesome fan base deeply connected to the program.

We are far overdue to be rewarded.

the Cubs were hapless for 100 years and its fanbase kept growing...
Funny (actually not), had the same thought last night…was a Cubs fan my entire life and realized that IU bball has become my modern day Chicago Cubs. The parallels aren’t exactly aligned as I have witnessed 3 NCAA championships, but the feelings are familiar.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Funny (actually not), had the same thought last night…was a Cubs fan my entire life and realized that IU bball has become my modern day Chicago Cubs. The parallels aren’t exactly aligned as I have witnessed 3 NCAA championships, but the feelings are familiar.

just enjoy the little things, I guess, like knowing we're "in" on Selection Sunday....

Next year will be a big one for Woodson.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
I too, am proud of the fan base. And, I fear it will not be the same if the Hoosiers don’t “win” something meaningful in the near future.

My wife and I were in Vegas for the AZ game and the couple sitting next to us were AZ fans. We had a nice conversation and he said, “wow, do your fans show up”! Another person stopped me after the game in the MGM Grand and asked, “is the state of Indiana empty? Because everyone is here”.

It’s one thing we as Hoosiers can be proud of. I just hope it lasts…
My wife and I were there also. It was B-town west!!

I'm 60..I've seen all the glory.
I passed it on to my son whose 34.
He's all about it..We're waiting on the selection today..We may go to both the women and men's tournament depending on where we go..
I don't think Indiana's fan base is going anywhere..

Reactions: CrazyHands
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT