ADVERTISEMENT

F1 - 2024 Season

Interesting quote from George on his Alonso incident.

Russell said, "As I mentioned at the time, I was completely taken by surprise. In fact, I was looking at the steering wheel, making a switch change in the straight line, which we all do throughout the lap. When I looked up, I was in Fernando's gearbox and it was a bit too late, then the next thing I knew, I was in the wall."

Interesting quote from George on his Alonso incident.

Russell said, "As I mentioned at the time, I was completely taken by surprise. In fact, I was looking at the steering wheel, making a switch change in the straight line, which we all do throughout the lap. When I looked up, I was in Fernando's gearbox and it was a bit too late, then the next thing I knew, I was in the wall."
Don’t have the quotes available but it was interesting to hear the other drivers’ opinions on this. Roughly half supported the penalty and the other half did not.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
Sainz sticks it to Ferrari again. Impressive.

Charles long runs were quite good though. It’s not the end of the world for him, just a slight rough patch.

I wish Oscar would have been better this weekend. He’s likable and I hope his ceiling is high.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrankTGucker

Charles long runs were quite good though. It’s not the end of the world for him, just a slight rough patch.

I wish Oscar would have been better this weekend. He’s likable and I hope his ceiling is high.

I'm disappointed in Leclerc so far. He was quite good today in maximizing his finishing position given he started 8th, but he needs to get his qualifying straightened out. Maybe he needs to go back to his old girlfriend.

I'm disappointed in Leclerc so far. He was quite good today in maximizing his finishing position given he started 8th, but he needs to get his qualifying straightened out. Maybe he needs to go back to his old girlfriend.
Leclerc hasn’t done poorly. I haven’t seen Carlos in better form than he is now. Sainz seems to have benefited from strategy more than Leclerc as well.

Who would have thought that the pit wall would actually become a strength for Ferrari? They’ve done really well this year so far

Reactions: Hank Reardon

I really like Oscar. I was hoping to see him really take it to Lando this season but that hasn’t been the case yet.

I really like Oscar. I was hoping to see him really take it to Lando this season but that hasn’t been the case yet.
Yea. I read about his driving technique and how he might have a higher ceiling than Lando, plus he now has a year of experience… but still a tenth or two off.

I’m looking forward to this weekend. Shanghai has some interesting elements for a Tilkedrome, and this is a new track for this generation of cars. There has also been a track resurfacing that could be a wildcard.

I’m sure Max will be fastest, but at least there are more unknowns than usual.

I don't know what Sainz does next year before Audi in 2026.

RB would have to be a longer term deal, and he would of course be #2 there. He should be the lead at Audi, and it's a big contract. He's probably got to find a one year stopgap deal. Who knows.

I don't know what Sainz does next year before Audi in 2026.

RB would have to be a longer term deal, and he would of course be #2 there. He should be the lead at Audi, and it's a big contract. He's probably got to find a one year stopgap deal. Who knows.

But how long will Audi wait for him? Sounds like they want Carlos to commit now, but obviously Carlos is waiting for Red Bull. Audi isn't signing anyone better than Carlos, so I'd imagine they'll wait, regardless of what they're saying about needing to get a deal done. But you never know and in a game of musical chairs Carlos could find himself in a bad chair if he misreads this.

Tough call for Sainz. While the second Red Bull seat would seem to be his best ride, he's then a #2 to Max. Does he want that? And there's no guarantee that RB is still top dog with the new regulations and new engine in 2026. Mercedes seems to be falling apart. Ferrari, oddly seems well positioned for 2026 and beyond, but obviously that's not an option for Sainz.

In some ways being The Man and a new works team like Audi might suit Sainz best. He won't win a driver's championship there, but it's unlikely he'll win one anywhere given his options. I'm sure he'll take the Red Bull seat in they indeed dump Perez. But will they dump Perez?

But how long will Audi wait for him? Sounds like they want Carlos to commit now, but obviously Carlos is waiting for Red Bull. Audi isn't signing anyone better than Carlos, so I'd imagine they'll wait, regardless of what they're saying about needing to get a deal done. But you never know and in a game of musical chairs Carlos could find himself in a bad chair if he misreads this.

Tough call for Sainz. While the second Red Bull seat would seem to be his best ride, he's then a #2 to Max. Does he want that? And there's no guarantee that RB is still top dog with the new regulations and new engine in 2026. Mercedes seems to be falling apart. Ferrari, oddly seems well positioned for 2026 and beyond, but obviously that's not an option for Sainz.

In some ways being The Man and a new works team like Audi might suit Sainz best. He won't win a driver's championship there, but it's unlikely he'll win one anywhere given his options. I'm sure he'll take the Red Bull seat in they indeed dump Perez. But will they dump Perez?
Not sure, but don’t think they do. Perez isn’t too bad. Once he got in line (from RB’s perspective) last year and accepted his #2 role, he doesn’t bother Max and earns enough points to win the constructors. That’s all they need from him. He also brings on some extra $ from his popularity, though that’s probably not too material in the big picture.

I’d guess Sainz to Audi. It’s the biggest and longest term contract he can get, plus he’ll be the #1 there. The stop gap one year deal is probably Mercedes? I have no idea.

I don’t have much of a rooting interest so the more drama the better.

As for ‘26, assuming Newey is around RB will be up there. Ferrari seem to be functioning well — Lewis going there is a positive signal, even though some of it may be a branding and marketing opportunity. Conversely him leaving Mercedes is a negative signal. ‘26 will be so interesting.

Not sure, but don’t think they do. Perez isn’t too bad. Once he got in line (from RB’s perspective) last year and accepted his #2 role, he doesn’t bother Max and earns enough points to win the constructors. That’s all they need from him. He also brings on some extra $ from his popularity, though that’s probably not too material in the big picture.

I’d guess Sainz to Audi. It’s the biggest and longest term contract he can get, plus he’ll be the #1 there. The stop gap one year deal is probably Mercedes? I have no idea.

I don’t have much of a rooting interest so the more drama the better.

As for ‘26, assuming Newey is around RB will be up there. Ferrari seem to be functioning well — Lewis going there is a positive signal, even though some of it may be a branding and marketing opportunity. Conversely him leaving Mercedes is a negative signal. ‘26 will be so interesting.

The only serious reason that I could see Perez being set aside for Sainz is if Red Bull thinks that Max might leave in the next 2 or 3 years, and they rate Sainz as having more potential to be a #1 than Perez. That's a stretch though.

I agree with you. I think he'll end up at Audi.

If you ever wondered who the best drivers are, regardless of car, rain usually helps sort that out.
Word.

I think it was Bernie who said he considered or wished he could install sprinklers around a track. You get the changing track drama + driver skill with less importance on the car as you said.

Reactions: larsIU
Hope when he’s done that he goes after the Indy 500 again
He’ll be 45 or so when he is done with AM. A guy like him could run Indy until he is around 50 if he wants.

Not sure if it’s an excuse, you may know, but he doesn’t like the current UAK aero + aeroscreen. I’d guess he would be fine with it if he has car that can win. The new chassis, if it ever happens, could be 2027, and that might be appealing to him.

Anyways, we can only hope. It was fun when he came over here.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT