ADVERTISEMENT

Even though this one appears over, CMW has done a great job of

The 'feast and famine' part is what concerns me. When, exactly, are we going to start 'winning big'? Mike's 65 right now. This years' team is picked to finish 6th-9th in the BT. We recruited some nice talents as a stop-gap this year. If they're any good MM and Ware are gone for '24. Reneau possibly as well.

He stabilized the program but its not looking like he's getting us to the next level, imo.
JFC

He's 44-26 entering his 3rd season and has made the tournament each year after us not getting there since 2016 and he finished in 2nd place in the conference last season after 6 straight seasons of not being above .500 in conference play.

He's stopped scheduling all the cupcakes and has got us playing meaningful out-of-conference games again.

5 of the 10 highest-rated recruits in IU history have committed during his coaching tenure.

He's got us at the table with big boys, getting recruits who wouldn't have given us the time of day prior.

Now it's time to start winning at a higher rate and making noise in March.

It's a process and so far he's been doing everything he said he would do.

Sorry it's not going fast enough for you. Should we can him and get another guy in here who can do it faster? I'd love to hear who that would be and how they'd do it

JFC

He's 44-26 entering his 3rd season and has made the tournament each year after us not getting there since 2016 and he finished in 2nd place in the conference last season after 6 straight seasons of not being above .500 in conference play.

He's stopped scheduling all the cupcakes and has got us playing meaningful out-of-conference games again.

5 of the 10 highest-rated recruits in IU history have committed during his coaching tenure.

He's got us at the table with big boys, getting recruits who wouldn't have given us the time of day prior.

Now it's time to start winning at a higher rate and making noise in March.

It's a process and so far he's been doing everything he said he would do.

Sorry it's not going fast enough for you. Should we can him and get another guy in here who can do it faster? I'd love to hear who that would be and how they'd do it
With an AA 5th year Center we won 3 fewer games in the BT than the team that lost to Fairleigh Dickenson in the tourney.

Be sure to go tonight and wave your pom poms.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
With an AA 5th year Center we won 3 fewer games in the BT than the team that lost to Fairleigh Dickenson in the tourney.

Stunning non-sequitur analysis there. And what "we"? You didn't win sh*t but IU twice beat the team you reference even without their starting veteran point-guard.

If your own pom poms are missing am quessing they're stuck way up your ass.

You're the guy who claimed last Feb that they wouldn't be able to win 12 in conference. Your posts in January when we were really banged up are even worse.

Something will happen, and whatever it is will be too much for these fragile players to overcome.

Not too much to ask for.

But probably too much to expect.

And then took every opportunity to shit on Schifino while they were on their run.
Massive?

Doesn't he have trouble finishing at the rim? Didn't he have several shots blocked under the basket last night? He's not "explosive" in terms of the NBA. He's not ultra-quick. Doesn't he get regularly beat on D off the dribble? Is he a knock-down NBA 3 point shooter?

He is pretty darn good off the pick and roll.

Not saying he won't be an NBA regular. I do think there are some questions about him going forward.

I think the Purdue game showed he can be really good in the pick and roll game....but give Purdue some "credit" for his production that night. They had a very poor defensive game plan and stuck to it.

For that reason, I don't get why that tape should carry so much more weight than last night's tape.

Agree....and projecting somebody in a role that much different than what they did in college carries some risk. See Romeo.

What level is scoring right underneath the basket, because he couldn't do that last night.

And, imo, he's not that great at finishing at the rim. Not very crafty.

I could go pull all your BS Kopp and Johnson comments too, but you get the point.

Maybe you should pull your pom poms out of your ass and open your eyes to the incrmental improvement so far.

Let's see what happens this year on the floor and then evaluate. If it's a disappointing year, then the negative comments are justified. Until then, you're just some guy pissed because we didn't get our 6th 5 star guy under Woody who has failed to hang a banner in 2 seasons.

Well your not gonna get 3 five stars or something like that all at once at Indiana..
We're just not Duke ..UK..etc.
But your plan B's need to pan out to stay ahead of the curve.....I'm not as bullish on Mike Woodson as some are on here..
But he has shown to keep us better than just avge...
It was a tad naive, IMO, for IU’s staff to think we would immediately go head to head with the likes of UK, UNC, Kansas, et al with no backup plan. It’s one thing to get a seat at the table with top players, but I’m a bit puzzled there doesn’t seem to be a backup plan.

It's like when Mike Davis inherited RMKs stud recruit JJ and rode him and Coverdale for 2-3 years before the wheels came off. I see the Woody era going similarly unfortunately.

He's not a horrible coach but clearly doesn't understand the college game well enough and is way too old.

The 'feast and famine' part is what concerns me. When, exactly, are we going to start 'winning big'? Mike's 65 right now. This years' team is picked to finish 6th-9th in the BT. We recruited some nice talents as a stop-gap this year. If they're any good MM and Ware are gone for '24. Reneau possibly as well.

He stabilized the program but its not looking like he's getting us to the next level, imo.
He never got the teams he coached in the NBA to the next level either. There is a ceiling. IU is going to need another coach to take it to the promised land.

• Haha
Reactions: GolfHacker1

I highly doubt you’re going to see that level of turnover after this year. Mgbako probably if he is as advertised, but I’m not confident about anyone else.

Reactions: Spartans9312
It's like when Mike Davis inherited RMKs stud recruit JJ and rode him and Coverdale for 2-3 years before the wheels came off. I see the Woody era going similarly unfortunately.

He's not a horrible coach but clearly doesn't understand the college game well enough and is way too old.
What is it precisely that he “doesn’t understand” about the college game? I’m curious.

It was a tad naive, IMO, for IU’s staff to think we would immediately go head to head with the likes of UK, UNC, Kansas, et al with no backup plan. It’s one thing to get a seat at the table with top players, but I’m a bit puzzled there doesn’t seem to be a backup plan.
No back up plan or none that has been made public?

The rest of your post was fine. This quote though, is misleading.
How so? Since the rating system started, I believe that to be accurate.

We can argue that there have been guys like Isiah or others who were better players and I'd agree, but they weren't rated since the system wasn't in place. That's my only point in saying 5 out of the top 10 ranked players.

Reactions: .Gerdis
getting a seat at big time recruits table as he stated he wanted to do.

Next step, WIN and win BIG. No more middle of the pack finishes and the S16 should be the starting point.

If he wins big, battles like the Fland one will possibly end differently and even with CMW's record to date, it went down to the wire.

I am all behind Mike!!
Had we been recruiting Fland, I mean really recruiting Fland, from the get go?

I was just curious if going hard after Fland was something that only happened over the last couple months, or if we’ve been there from the beginning. I’m saying that if the whole Fland recruitment was a relatively recent thing compared to other schools, it’s impressive that we got far enough that people thought he was coming here instead of UK.

And before that team lost to the worst team in the tourney did they have ANY significant loss of players to injuries?

That you must have 3 point shooters for one. This is year 3 and we have none.
Ehh XJ is a career 38% 3 point shooter here at IU and Galloway shot 45+% last year. MM isn’t going to wow you with his 3 point accuracy but he’ll make enough to keep the defense honest. Ware can step out and hit a few on you as well.

No back up plan or none that has been made public?
I would imagine that his spring success has given him some confidence with that as a backup, and I don't necessarily disagree. I hate taking players who don't have the talent to play at this level. We certainly are setting our sights on higher targets, but I also think folks are forgetting about the number of guys we were after, who eliminated us. Now, you could argue that we didn't put as much into chasing those guys, while we were after these 5 stars, but I thought he cast a pretty wide net with guys like Schwartz, Boateng, Betsey, Passmore, Mustaf, etc... And, I think for us, ultimately it will be a mix of highly ranked guys and 3-4 star guys to develop that will win, ala Villanova, UConn, etc... Even Kansas, who can and does go after the highest rated guys out there, mixes in some lesser rated guys each year, either through recruiting or the portal. How this season goes and the spring recruiting well may dictate CMW's tenure at this point with his age, but I applaud him for recognizing the need and ability to upgrade our talent and set his sights on the best.

Ehh XJ is a career 38% 3 point shooter here at IU and Galloway shot 45+% last year. MM isn’t going to wow you with his 3 point accuracy but he’ll make enough to keep the defense honest. Ware can step out and hit a few on you as well.
That's a more fair criticism than harping on a single guy like Carr. But, he also did try and address it in the spring and just struck out. But, yes, I'd feel better if we had a really great knock down 3 guy coming into the year, versus hoping a guy with a shot that looks like X's does and TG who'd been bad prior to last year can maintain or improve their shooting. It was a pretty easy weakness to recognize, and didn't really get addressed. Heck, in looking at their shooting and past results, I have more hope that Cupps can be a legit 3 pt threat at this point as anyone else that's come in.

I’m not worrying about recruiting because it isn’t my problem and I can do nothing about it.
Although a reasonable position to take, it also means you shouldnt care about the outcome of games (unless you’re gambling).

Speaking of 3 pt shooters, my grandson who is seven hit his first 3 pter in practice last week. He is the same kid I took out to the playground and he couldn't get the ball over the rim. sniff sniff. This is his first yr playing ball.
Sounds like we should keep an eye on this kid

• Love
Reactions: VanPastorMan

Or you could say we won 3 fewer games than the Big Ten champs and a #1 seed in the tournament while 3 of our best players played injured or missed significant time.

How is it feast or famine? We landed what looks like a very good point guard last year? BF would have been a luxury but without is isn’t famine at all. So we have Cupps starting and a transfer backing him up next year or a big time transfer starting with Cupps backing him up. Still seems good to me. Plus the possible development of Gunn and Newton.

Seems to me like a lot of IU fan’s brains are running feast or famine.

We will be fine at pg next year unless Cupps is a complete whiff, we don’t land a transfer and neither of Gunn or Newton develops and can handle the ball some.

Reactions: asindc
getting a seat at big time recruits table as he stated he wanted to do.

Next step, WIN and win BIG. No more middle of the pack finishes and the S16 should be the starting point.

If he wins big, battles like the Fland one will possibly end differently and even with CMW's record to date, it went down to the wire.

I am all behind Mike!!
100% with you on CMW's drive to put us in front of big time recruits.

100% in agreement...CMW needs to start winning...no more middle of the pack silliness. We gotta get S16 and do so with strong B10 seasons.

I'm behind Woodie...and we need the winning to commence.

Reactions: ndhuntington
How so? Since the rating system started, I believe that to be accurate.

We can argue that there have been guys like Isiah or others who were better players and I'd agree, but they weren't rated since the system wasn't in place. That's my only point in saying 5 out of the top 10 ranked players.
Bracey and JJ were both top 10 kids and used to be in the ratings index. I think it cuts off at 20 years.

Bracey and JJ were both top 10 kids and used to be in the ratings index. I think it cuts off at 20 years.
Right. I said 5 of the 10 highest ranked recruits have committed during Woodsons tenure as coach.

Well your not gonna get 3 five stars or something like that all at once at Indiana..
We're just not Duke ..UK..etc.
But your plan B's need to pan out to stay ahead of the curve.....I'm not as bullish on Mike Woodson as some are on here..
But he has shown to keep us better than just avge...
I can definitely see him pulling 3 five stars in a class. This is only his second class really recruited and he’s already pulling in some talent. NIL seems to be solid and that’s all you need today. He will have 2 if you snag Queen.

I can definitely see him pulling 3 five stars in a class. This is only his second class really recruited and he’s already pulling in some talent. NIL seems to be solid and that’s all you need today. He will have 2 if you snag Queen.
Woody needs to start showing his teams can do well during the NCAA tournament showcase, otherwise his NBA connection will start losing luster in ability to corral these big boys. So far, he's been given the benefit of the doubt in the still unknown of his young collage coaching career. As well as Woody may currently be perceived to be improving things, we are still only predicted to be 6-9th in our conference. That won't be good enough for much longer, going forward, at least until the soon-to-be ghost of Bob Knight is forgotten by living IU alumni entrenched in the sports success of said alma mater.

Woody needs to start showing his teams can do well during the NCAA tournament showcase, otherwise his NBA connection will start losing luster in ability to corral these big boys. So far, he's been given the benefit of the doubt in the still unknown of his young collage coaching career. As well as Woody may currently be perceived to be improving things, we are still only predicted to be 6-9th in our conference. That won't be good enough for much longer, going forward, at least until the soon-to-be ghost of Bob Knight is forgotten by living IU alumni entrenched in the sports success of said alma mater.
I don't think tournament success matters to them nearly as much as going to the league.

Reactions: asindc
Having a team full of freshmen who won't be there next year is no way to win. Kentucky keeps on trying it and that may be fine for them. But personally I find it incredibly embarrassing when you have like 9 or 10 top 100 RSCI players on a team and you can't even make the dance. Pointless. Loads of talent wasted. But what do they care if they are in the league the next year?

Reactions: Al Bino
Having a team full of freshmen who won't be there next year is no way to win. Kentucky keeps on trying it and that may be fine for them. But personally I find it incredibly embarrassing when you have like 9 or 10 top 100 RSCI players on a team and you can't even make the dance. Pointless. Loads of talent wasted. But what do they care if they are in the league the next year?
Every time we have had legit five stars we have been to the Elite 8 at worst so I’ll keep taking that. Not all classes are created equal. I like having 3-4 studs and a mix of great transfers and returnees now the best. If Woodson pulled 3 top Freshman from a great class and mixed them with 2-3 top transfers he will win big.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT