ADVERTISEMENT

End DEI

‘Bout time.
Your good posts happen so seldom, we don't expect them.
Do better.

7-8-Paul-Tiny-Sturgess.gif

:D

• Haha
Reactions: BradStevens
To be fair, there are different kinds of plagiarism, and it is true that what Gay is accused of is quite different than what people imagine when they hear the term.
Really? And what do people imagine it is when they hear the term?

lmao That's what she's doing when it's in her writings and she doesn't give attributes.

But I'm glad you're so objective and nonpartisan.
No, it's not. She's not even accused of that. Maybe you should take the time to learn about a topic before you start spouting opinions around like diarrhea.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
You're smarter than this. Don't let your disdain for this woman lead you down the path of making stupid arguments.
Goat, you are obviously an intelligent man. I base that statement on your broad subject knowledge. Sometimes you try to make the easy things too hard. Just like Texas play calling vs Washington. Run the damn ball until they stop you.

Isn’t that how Joe got his JD?
Hey, he's got 3 degrees (well, maybe 1), was the only person in his law school on full scholarship (a lie), and graduated at the top of his class (well, not exactly) and he's a lot smarter than common people.

No, it's not. She's not even accused of that. Maybe you should take the time to learn about a topic before you start spouting opinions around like diarrhea.
I'm not the one who doesn't know the meaning of plagiarism.

And yes, that's what she's accused of. WTF are you on today?

Goat, you are obviously an intelligent man. I base that statement on your broad subject knowledge. Sometimes you try to make the easy things too hard. Just like Texas play calling vs Washington. Run the damn ball until they stop you.
Haven't you figured out by now that Goat is nothing but a political hack who likes to pretend he's objective?

And people laughed at what the meaning of 'is' is.

All I'm saying is it's correct to note that there are different kinds of plagiarism, and she has only been accused of one particular type, which is actually not nearly as serious as the other types that some people - including DANC, obviously - are assuming she's guilty of.

It's still plagiarism, it's still wrong, and I have no problem with her being forced out. But the type of plagiarism she's been accused of would not be serious enough to lead to a resignation without all the other crap going on.

• Haha
All I'm saying is it's correct to note that there are different kinds of plagiarism, and she has only been accused of one particular type, which is actually not nearly as serious as the other types that some people - including DANC, obviously - are assuming she's guilty of.

It's still plagiarism, it's still wrong, and I have no problem with her being forced out. But the type of plagiarism she's been accused of would not be serious enough to lead to a resignation without all the other crap going on.
It’s plagiarism…and it wasn’t a one off

<coh>
Nuance baby!!!
</coh>

The 5 Types of Plagiarism | Explanations & Examples​

Published on January 10, 2022 by Raimo Streefkerk. Revised on November 21, 2023 by Jack Caulfield.

Plagiarism comes in many forms, some more severe than others—from rephrasing someone’s ideas without acknowledgement to stealing a whole essay. These are the five most common types of plagiarism:
  • Global plagiarism means passing off an entire text by someone else as your own work.
  • Verbatim plagiarism means directly copying someone else’s words.
  • Paraphrasing plagiarism means rephrasing someone else’s ideas to present them as your own.
  • Patchwork plagiarism means stitching together parts of different sources to create your text.
  • Self-plagiarism means recycling your own past work.

With which is she accused?
So which ones are OK? I'm semi fine with self plagiarism.

Published on January 10, 2022 by Raimo Streefkerk. Revised on November 21, 2023 by Jack Caulfield.

Plagiarism comes in many forms, some more severe than others—from rephrasing someone’s ideas without acknowledgement to stealing a whole essay. These are the five most common types of plagiarism:
  • Global plagiarism means passing off an entire text by someone else as your own work.
  • Paraphrasing plagiarism means rephrasing someone else’s ideas to present them as your own.
  • Patchwork plagiarism means stitching together parts of different sources to create your text.

None of them are okay. But that list also doesn't capture the full range. She's not really accused of any of those, although verbatim is closest. She's been accused of using other authors' language when summarizing their work. In other words, she's not passing the ideas off as her own, but she is borrowing language without proper citations. It's bad scholarship, but it's not quite the same as outright intellectual theft.

Imagine if I wrote a post about this forum's take on plagiarism and I said that some posters were semi fine with self plagiarism, but I didn't use quotation marks or link your post. That would technically be plagiarism, but it wouldn't be the same as taking your idea and passing it off as my own.

• Haha

Distinctions without differences

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT