ADVERTISEMENT

Edey is just tall!

Wish you guys luck next year - we are about to see if the model of buying a team is better than building a team. I think both teams will be pretty good honestly but I still suspect building a team is the way to go. We shall see which model is the correct one in this new NIL shit show
Coward

Takes CASH. Something short in Wlaffy, readily abundant in Beautyton, because it's a better investment.
Agree you guys have the money and we don’t - have to keep bringing in good draft classes and hope for the best. I’m curious if NIL guys - especially the high priced ones - will be good teammates or just want to take the money and run.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Wish you guys luck next year - we are about to see if the model of buying a team is better than building a team. I think both teams will be pretty good honestly but I still suspect building a team is the way to go. We shall see which model is the correct one in this new NIL shit show
About to see? GTFOH. It’s already been a thing. Most NC teams have always been bought. Something PU will never get to do. Second rate broke a$$ program. You wouldn’t be saying any of that shit if PUke had the money.

FWIW, Edey was a really good college player. He might have a good enough work ethic to make a nice NBA career if he can stay healthy. He certainly has the size.

But, not many here GAF about him. We consistently have Purdoo fans coming here seeking validation as little brother, hence the reception you have received.

About to see? GTFOH. It’s already been a thing. Most NC teams have always been bought. Something PU will never get to do. Second rate broke a$$ program. You wouldn’t be saying any of that shit if PUke had the money.
They're a little over a month removed from being completely outclassed by a team that had major contributions from NIL/Bought players in Newton and Spencer. The path to being consistently relevant nationally includes NIL spending, and buying players in the portal. That isn't a "we'll see" thing any more. Its a fact. And that's unfortunate for Purdue...they aren't going to be a big part of that game any time soon. And they won't have the Edey anomaly to boost them.

Speaking of Purdue...Jones contribution this year was instrumental in their overall success...NIL/Portal guy. Also, many of them spent time on here "bragging" about how much money Edey was getting, so in a sense, he was "bought" as well. Braden Smith isn't staying at Purdue without getting decent NIL money...so he's "bought" too. Catchings isn't going to Purdue without decent NIL packages...he's "bought". Their problem is they don't have enough money to fill a roster that way. Good luck with that going forward.

Agree you guys have the money and we don’t - have to keep bringing in good draft classes and hope for the best. I’m curious if NIL guys - especially the high priced ones - will be good teammates or just want to take the money and run.
I enjoy building a team rather than buying one. When Senior year you have guys who have been there for a lot of years is very special to me.

Somehow these goobers think that once their players value goes vastly higher than what PU is able to pay, that they have found the only guys in the NCAA who are willing to be ok with being valued less and stick around at their school. That worked when you had a guy like Edey who literally couldn't capitalize on NIL so he stayed around. He also made the team really good and the role players around him were not fetching top dollar so there was incentive to want to stay this year. Now that there's no NPOY who's also willing to play for free on the roster, PU fans will soon understand why their model will quickly fall apart......if they're good. If not, it's easy to retain players but if they're good, PU will need to either pony up or they will lose their best guys. It's that plain and simple.

• Haha
Reactions: Zero Credibility
Somehow these goobers think that once their players value goes vastly higher than what PU is able to pay, that they have found the only guys in the NCAA who are willing to be ok with being valued less and stick around at their school. That worked when you had a guy like Edey who literally couldn't capitalize on NIL so he stayed around. He also made the team really good and the role players around him were not fetching top dollar so there was incentive to want to stay this year. Now that there's no NPOY who's also willing to play for free on the roster, PU fans will soon understand why their model will quickly fall apart......if they're good. If not, it's easy to retain players but if they're good, PU will need to either pony up or they will lose their best guys. It's that plain and simple.
Its not out of the realm of possibility that they'll be able to stay decent by recruiting kids ranked 50-150, and then developing them over a few years. What they usually fail to acknowledge, however, is that they're going to have to pay the kids that do develop well, to stay at Purdue. And most of them aren't going to take discounts to stay in West Laffy, of all places. I'm sure Braden Smith is getting a fair bit of money. And in order for them to stay at the top of the conference, they're going to need guys like Colvin, Catchings, Heide, etc... to hit and be really good. Those are the types of guys they'll struggle the most to keep. If Catchings comes in and has a really good freshman year, his NIL value will be potentially 7 figures. Which raises Braden Smiths NIL expectation, TKR's, etc...

They've been insulated from all this stuff because of Edey. Without him, they're going to need a bunch of guys to be good. And that ain't gonna come cheap.

Its not out of the realm of possibility that they'll be able to stay decent by recruiting kids ranked 50-150, and then developing them over a few years. What they usually fail to acknowledge, however, is that they're going to have to pay the kids that do develop well, to stay at Purdue. And most of them aren't going to take discounts to stay in West Laffy, of all places. I'm sure Braden Smith is getting a fair bit of money. And in order for them to stay at the top of the conference, they're going to need guys like Colvin, Catchings, Heide, etc... to hit and be really good. Those are the types of guys they'll struggle the most to keep. If Catchings comes in and has a really good freshman year, his NIL value will be potentially 7 figures. Which raises Braden Smiths NIL expectation, TKR's, etc...

They've been insulated from all this stuff because of Edey. Without him, they're going to need a bunch of guys to be good. And that ain't gonna come cheap.
I’m not quite clear on how Purdue is doing NIL. I get they want to stick with HS recruits and avoid the portal as much as possible. Are they paying their freshmen, including guys like Catchings, almost nothing in NIL their first year, and then if they develop they get more NIL soph year and beyond? I can’t imagine guys like Catchings are taking big NIL discounts as freshman to go to Purdue. Maybe he is an outlier and that is what they look for. Thanks.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I’m not quite clear on how Purdue is doing NIL. I get they want to stick with HS recruits and avoid the portal as much as possible. Are they paying their freshmen, including guys like Catchings, almost nothing in NIL their first year, and then if they develop they get more NIL soph year and beyond? I can’t imagine guys like Catchings are taking big NIL discounts as freshman to go to Purdue. Maybe he is an outlier and that is what they look for. Thanks.
Good question. I honestly don’t get it either. Hell, I don’t actually understand most of this NIL crap. I still wish it was published what each player on each team is getting paid. Problem is I’d probably end up rooting like hell for a team with very little money invested. True underdogs in this current climate.

Not sure. Best guess is they're paying guys more than they're letting on. They just haven't had to deal with paying all that many highly regarded guys yet. Their tune will change as early as this next offseason when guys like Catchings and Colvin put their names in the portal (if they have productive seasons).

What are the convos between Gillis and returning guys if Gillis is making more in NIL than they are?

Everything past your first sentence is exactly what I just said. But the issue is your first sentence can't be true if the rest of it is. Guys who are not drawing a lot of NBA interest yet dominate at this level will recognize college is their best chance at making a large sum of money. Its going to be super rare to pass that up which is why PU's strategy is bound to fail in this environment. It makes zero sense to build a system upon something that's super rare. Guys like Yogi who were super talented college players who don't fit an NBA mold will find themselves realizing they need to capitalize financially while in college. Will there be outliers? Sure, but again, you don't base the foundation of your program on mere outliers.

Everything past your first sentence is exactly what I just said. But the issue is your first sentence can't be true if the rest of it is. Guys who are not drawing a lot of NBA interest yet dominate at this level will recognize college is their best chance at making a large sum of money. Its going to be super rare to pass that up which is why PU's strategy is bound to fail in this environment. It makes zero sense to build a system upon something that's super rare. Guys like Yogi who were super talented college players who don't fit an NBA mold will find themselves realizing they need to capitalize financially while in college. Will there be outliers? Sure, but again, you don't base the foundation of your program on mere outliers.
Yeah, I reread your post after I posted, and I just repeated what you typed in a different way...oops.

The first sentence though...If Painter and his staff are able to continue to "hit" on guys that are ranked fairly low, they could have some success "staggering" their rosters with younger kids that are probably undervalued, with returning players that are realizing their potential and market value.

Regardless, they won't be able to compete nationally without spending accordingly...whether that's to go get guys via the portal, or highly rated frosh, or if its just to keep their proven players at Purdue. They could be right that they're going to approach it differently. But they're being very disingenuous, or naiive, or just dumb when they say or paint the picture that they'll be able to win big without paying players.

Not sure. Best guess is they're paying guys more than they're letting on. They just haven't had to deal with paying all that many highly regarded guys yet. Their tune will change as early as this next offseason when guys like Catchings and Colvin put their names in the portal (if they have productive seasons).

What are the convos between Gillis and returning guys if Gillis is making more in NIL than they are?
Thanks.

Yea, I would guess they’re paying NIL close to market for all their players, I doubt freshman are foregoing hundreds of thousands of $ to go to Purdue. The only real difference is they prefer HS players to portal players, and PU fans are spinning this as not buying a team, when they are in fact paying their players NIL like every other school (as they should!).

And of course there is little difference bt a freshman and a soph like Rice/Carlyle. IU only has one big time one year hire (plus Goode). Every other player bas been in the program and/or has eligibility left.

Now, as you said it will get interesting when their guys start getting big offers PU has to match. PU will probably raise the $, and if they don’t, then we’ll see if they stay out of the evil portal. They will probably hit the portal because they have to replace players lost to the portal and there are plenty of players in there that would be a fit for Pork Chop.

Purdue is very good program, but this whole narrative around their special approach is pretty funny (it was just Lurch). They’re going to NIL and portal like everyone else and probably do pretty well.

Last edited:

Exactly, the real world is now on their doorstep and as you say if MP develops a kid he is going to have to pay him and that may be coming with Catchings especially. Speedway gas cards may no longer be enough.

I call BS but even beyond that....did you come to the IU board to show Edey shooting in practice with no defenders and all day to shoot..... as if its some sort of proof?

Trayce Jackson Did That Too
Do you all want me to go Uncle Rico and post a video of me hitting unguarded jump shots?

Learning to play outside of 2 feet from the bucket in the NBA is a can't miss plan.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: YOTHN
Looking for what exactly? A fing Video showing Edey can drain 3s so maybe he can be a good NBA player? What is that looking for? Please explain. Is that anti IU in anyway?
We IU fans couldn’t give a rats ass what the unicorn does going forward. You under achieved again as usual. No participation awards an accolades for you here on your rivals board. GFY

Thanks for all of the witty banter boys - I have really learned quite a bit. Let’s see I now know the new talking point is hang a banner or STFU - a slight change from Purdue and Painter will never get to the Final Four but predictable and valid. I’ve also learned you have very short memories. A self proclaimed message board tough guy started the original “Edey is just Tall” thread on this very site. I didn’t start it - an IU fan did. So when you say nobody gives a shit about Edey you are either lying or smoking too much weed and already forgot. Presenting some evidence - yes admittedly weak - of him making some unguarded threes at the combine - sends this board into nuclear mode. Why? Because self proclaimed tough guy’s original post could be flawed, because you want to see a Purdue guy fail, or you don’t know any other way to act? So a post that isn’t anti IU in any way - I didn’t come on here and say IU has been mediocre for most of your life times - garners a ton of STFU, GFY and I hope you get beat up in front of your son at an IU game. It’s all good because I can take care of myself but I find it interesting what people will say behind a keyboard with no repercussions and all from a post of Edey making some outside shots. Final point - lighten up - you all act like this message board actually means something important. It doesn’t. I can see that for some of you it’s sadly your entire life but being angry and stressed is bad for your health.

A guy who has never played outside of two feet from the basket will learn to do so in the NBA: got it, good luck with that. If being a Purdue fan on an IU message board isn't your whole life, then go find something else to do today.

A guy who has never played outside of two feet from the basket will learn to do so in the NBA: got it, good luck with that. If being a Purdue fan on an IU message board isn't your whole life, then go find something else to do today.
And don’t worry this is my final post - good luck to Ware in the NBA - hope he is successful and makes a ton of money. You see it’s easy!

• Haha
Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Thanks for all of the witty banter boys - I have really learned quite a bit. Let’s see I now know the new talking point is hang a banner or STFU - a slight change from Purdue and Painter will never get to the Final Four but predictable and valid. I’ve also learned you have very short memories. A self proclaimed message board tough guy started the original “Edey is just Tall” thread on this very site. I didn’t start it - an IU fan did. So when you say nobody gives a shit about Edey you are either lying or smoking too much weed and already forgot. Presenting some evidence - yes admittedly weak - of him making some unguarded threes at the combine - sends this board into nuclear mode. Why? Because self proclaimed tough guy’s original post could be flawed, because you want to see a Purdue guy fail, or you don’t know any other way to act? So a post that isn’t anti IU in any way - I didn’t come on here and say IU has been mediocre for most of your life times - garners a ton of STFU, GFY and I hope you get beat up in front of your son at an IU game. It’s all good because I can take care of myself but I find it interesting what people will say behind a keyboard with no repercussions and all from a post of Edey making some outside shots. Final point - lighten up - you all act like this message board actually means something important. It doesn’t. I can see that for some of you it’s sadly your entire life but being angry and stressed is bad for your health.
Purdue player hits an unguarded three.

Run to IU board.

Sleepers just posted a podcast that said Edey is killing it in the Combine workouts. Both predicted he'll be a top 15 pick. NBA is about mismatches and while Edey will be a liability at times vs some teams, at the very worst I think a team will stash him on the bench as a change of pace for their second unit. You know he'll screen well, pass well, protect the paint, rebound and be a reliable low post scorer. That's a big chunk of what's made TJD have value.

Try a paragraph or two.

Coward

Sleepers just posted a podcast that said Edey is killing it in the Combine workouts. Both predicted he'll be a top 15 pick. NBA is about mismatches and while Edey will be a liability at times vs some teams, at the very worst I think a team will stash him on the bench as a change of pace for their second unit. You know he'll screen well, pass well, protect the paint, rebound and be a reliable low post scorer. That's a big chunk of what's made TJD have value.
He'll have a successful NBA career, I'm sure. He's shown a pretty high level of improvement ability, and adaptability, while at Purdue. He's a 70+ percent free throw shooter. And as you said, the NBA is all about drawing double teams, and/or creating mis matches. Edey has the potential to do those things at any time. I'm not sure his entire game matches with where the NBA game is going, but there will be enough situations where he provides great value, that he'll get drafted, and he'll stick in the NBA for a while.

Reactions: kkott and Bill4411
TL; DR.

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT