ADVERTISEMENT

Drive By Shootings

mcmurtry66

Hall of Famer
Mar 14, 2019
2013 - 2022 more than 700 of them. 460 killed, many children, 3,017 injured. By comparison schools 25 killed and 175 injured. Chicago leads the country during this period with 120 drive by mass shootings

Stl just children killed or injured by gunfire. 120 shot in 2022 and 26 died. More than school deaths nationwide in nearly a decade. @outside shooter. Politics baby

Last edited:
2013 - 2022 more than 700 of them. 460 killed, many children, 3,017 injured. By comparison schools 25 killed and 175 injured. Chicago leads the country during this period with 120 drive by mass shootings

Stl just children killed or injured by gunfire. 120 shot in 2022 and 26 died. More than school deaths nationwide in nearly a decade. @outside shooter. Politics baby
The well regulated militia isn't regulated well ...

Unfortunately it’s next to Indiana which does not.

A gun free zone is worthless if it’s next door to the OK Corral. Not saying that banning all guns is the answer or even practical, but externalities make Chicago’s gun laws virtually worthless.
Like communism only works if everyone is totally controlled and not allowed constitutional rights. Is that your point? Seems accurate considering the parties involved.

Reactions: 76-1
A gun free zone is worthless if it’s next door to the OK Corral
Yep reminds me of the no smoking area on a plane when the row in front of you is a smoking area. I'm sure that smoke knew to stay in its area. :)

This number will be going up rapidly in the next four years

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Like communism only works if everyone is totally controlled and not allowed constitutional rights. Is that your point? Seems accurate considering the parties involved.
I’d say more like a weight loss clinic next to an all you can eat buffet. But you do you boo.

And I don’t think communism works by taking away rights. It can only theoretically, not practically at scale, work if there are no free riders and literally everyone is committed to the rising tide raising all boats. Anyway, non sequitor.

I must have the record, my guns have gone 10,850 days of ownership without killing a soul. I am pretty tough on them though 95% they are never full so I can imaging they are hungry.

Oh well I'm just glad that with all the guns I own not a single one has went out and killed anyone, I probably should teach a class.

I know this will catch some backlash, which is fine. I also know that if youth is defined as anyone under 18 then Louisville alone has a huge problem with shootings/killings in 2022 there were 160 murdered by gun and 14 were under the age of 17 and zero were committed at a school. 2023 started off bad as I think I read where there were 10 murders in 10 days the first 2 weeks of the year.

Last edited:

Is Japan communist?

They have about 10 gun deaths per year.

Is Germany?

We have 10x the amount of gun deaths, per capita, compared to Germany.

Reactions: DrHoops and larsIU

A gun free zone is worthless if it’s next door to the OK Corral. Not saying that banning all guns is the answer or even practical, but externalities make Chicago’s gun laws virtually worthless.
What are you proposing if not banning all guns then? Because people are dying in Chicago from hand guns, not the scary AR’s.

If we take the logical step of making Wisconsin and Indiana gun laws as strict as Chicago’s, that could help Chicago some. But what happen when’s Ohio and Kentucky guns start flooding Fort Wayne and Indy? Well then those laws need to be applied to Ohio and Kentucky as well obviously.

There’s only one logical conclusion to your complaint even if you want to act like there isn’t.

The “Indiana Guns!!!” Is mostly a taking point anyway. I think last data showed something like 16-17% of gun related crimes in Chicago involved guns purchased in Indiana. Which isn’t insignificant, but hardly qualifies as one of the key drivers of Chicago gun violence as people like you like to suggest.

I must have the record, my guns have gone 10,850 days of ownership without killing a soul. I am pretty tough on them though 95% they are never full so I can imaging they are hungry.

Oh well I'm just glad that with all the guns I own not a single one has went out and killed anyone, I probably should teach a class.

I know this will catch some backlash, which is fine. I also know that if youth is defined as anyone under 18 then Louisville along has a huge problem with shootings/killings in 2022 there were 160 murdered by gun and 14 were under the age of 17 and zero were committed at a school. 2023 started off bad as I think I read where there were 10 murders in 10 days the first 2 weeks of the year.
You're right, of course. The root problem is the people, not the guns.

The rub is the efficiency in which the wrong people can do damage with the right tools.

I feel confident saying that if I had a tommy gun I would be at about 0 risk of ever using it to commit a mass murder. But if someone who is not quite so law abiding might be inclined to try and set records. Which is why machine guns have been banned since like the 30s. Over time, banning certain weapons works when they're able to get basically all of them off the street. When was the last machine gun death in the USA?

Similarly, if I had a nuclear bomb, I'd like to think I'd keep it safe and not used against innocents, but to have just in case I'm attacked by some rogue nation-state. Doesn't mean I think it's a good idea for everyone to have one.

I strongly believe that there are parts of America that have a serious issue with guns and gun violence. Others with next to no issue with guns or gun violence. Unfortunately, legislators only want to write laws for their specific communities & interests without taking into account the needs/concerns of other parts of the whole.

With the number of rifles & handguns in America, even a straight up ban would not have any noticeable impact for quite some time, but eventually it would push America in line with the rest of the First World. I'm not holding my breath.

• Wow
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Is Japan communist?

They have about 10 gun deaths per year.

Is Germany?

We have 10x the amount of gun deaths, per capita, compared to Germany.
I wish you could get good stats... seems like everytime I start looking I come up with different stats at different sites. Some of that is expected of course but I'll come up with drastically different numbers.

What I'd like to know is:
  • How many actual gun deaths there are per year
  • How many injuries are caused by guns.
  • How man of those deaths/injuries are alcohol related
  • How may deaths per year is contributed to alcohol
  • How many injuries are alcohol related

Externalities like criminals not giving a rat's ass about laws?

I know this will catch some backlash, which is fine. I also know that if youth is defined as anyone under 18 then Louisville along has a huge problem with shootings/killings in 2022 there were 160 murdered by gun and 14 were under the age of 17 and zero were committed at a school. 2023 started off bad as I think I read where there were 10 murders in 10 days the first 2 weeks of the year.
"Youth" is defined as young black males in these discussions.

Externalities like criminals not giving a rat's ass about laws?
Ya know, eventually, since we have made meth/ crack/ coke/ fent... illegal, one day in the far far future, it will all just go away.
And Murder, it's only a matter of time that it will never happen again. I mean, we made a law about it so it's only a matter of time.
(Whew, I was getting worried)

I wish you could get good stats... seems like everytime I start looking I come up with different stats at different sites. Some of that is expected of course but I'll come up with drastically different numbers.

What I'd like to know is:
  • How many actual gun deaths there are per year
  • How many injuries are caused by guns.
  • How man of those deaths/injuries are alcohol related
  • How may deaths per year is contributed to alcohol
  • How many injuries are alcohol related

Here's some info.

Few points.....

1) Gun deaths per capita are still lower today than they were in the 1970s. They've been rising and are closer to 90s level, now.

2) gun deaths per capita are much higher in the south than they are elsewhere in the country. Mississippi and Louisiana lead the pack. New York has one of the lowest per capita deaths (Hawaii is the lowest).

3) the US is a MAJOR outlier in gun deaths for developed countries. We are closer to 2nd world/ Latin American "shitholes" than we are to 1st world contemporaries. The mensa members here can attempt to explain that one.

Reactions: DrHoops
I strongly believe that there are parts of America that have a serious issue with guns and gun violence.
Yeah, blue counties. Particularly blue counties that house major metropolitan areas.

Others with next to no issue with guns or gun violence.
Red rural counties.
Unfortunately, legislators only want to write laws for their specific communities & interests without taking into account the needs/concerns of other parts of the whole.
The real gun violence problem we have in this country is one we have to tip toe around because of racism accusations. Young black men go around shooting other young black men in this country. That is the vast majority of the non-suicide related gun deaths in the U.S. And if you expand it out a bit to encompass gang and drug related shootings, there is the most of it.

Does the US have a monopoly on criminals? Is this just a sociopathic nation compared to elsewhere in the world?
Of course we’re not sociopathic. We’re just slightly more violent than some nations. From an historical context we’re one of the safest nations to ever live in. Also, the biggest reason for that extra violence comes from a small segment of society, which nobody has answer for how to fix it.

Why is it that right wingers have such a difficult time with facts?

The REALITY is that the states with the most lax gun control laws have the HIGHEST per capita gun deaths. 9 of the top 10 states with the highest gun deaths per capita are bright red states.

And, of course, the states with the lowest number of gun deaths per capita have the strictest gun laws. That includes Illinois vs. Indiana.

Gun Deaths per Capita by State​

The following ten states have the highest gun deaths per capita (per 100,000): Alaska (24.4), Mississippi (24.2), Wyoming (22.3), New Mexico (22.3), Alabama (22.2), Louisiana (22.1), Missouri (20.6), South Carolina (19.9), Arkansas (19.3), and Montana (19.3). The states with the highest gun deaths per capita have some of the country's highest gun ownership rates. Montana has the highest with 66.3%, followed by Wyoming with 66.2%, and Alaska with 64.5%.

Missouri comes in at #6. Lol

Conversely, the states with the lowest gun deaths per capita are Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Hawaii, and Rhode Island, all of which have fewer than five gun deaths per 100,000 people. These states also have the lowest gun ownership in the United States. Massachusetts and New Jersey have the lowest gun ownership rate of 14.7%, followed by Rhode Island with 14.8%, Hawaii with 14.9%, and New York with 19.9%. These five states are the only state to have gun ownership rates below 20%.
Here are the 10 states with the highest gun deaths per capita:

1. Alaska - 24.5 per 100k people
  2. Alabama - 22.9 per 100k people
  3. Montana - 22.5 per 100k people
  4. Louisiana - 21.7 per 100k people
  5. Mississippi - 21.5 per 100k people
  6. Missouri - 21.5 per 100k people
  7. Arkansas - 20.3 per 100k people
  8. Wyoming - 18.8 per 100k people
  9. West Virginia - 18.6 per 100k people
  10. New Mexico - 18.5 per 100k people

Could it be anymore obvious? Illinois is 9 places less dangerous than Indiana.

This reminds me of a t-shirt that one of my fraternity buddies had from SMU. It said, “We’re not stuck up, we’re just better than you.”

Case closed.

Last edited:

The answer is move to a red state and out of the cities (assuming you’re concerned with the violence).

Reactions: IUCrazy2

Missouri has two cities that make the top 10 in murders/capita in the country.... KC (MO) and STL.

Stl has a strong hold on the #1 spot. Chicago is like 30th.

What a special place.

The answer is move to a red state and out of the cities (assuming you’re concerned with the violence).

Deep red states have by far the highest death rates. They are "shitholes"... to quote our favorite President.

In 2020, the states with the highest rates of gun-related deaths – counting murders, suicides and all other categories tracked by the CDC – included Mississippi (28.6 per 100,000 people), Louisiana (26.3), Wyoming (25.9), Missouri (23.9) and Alabama (23.6). The states with the lowest rates included New York (5.3), Rhode Island (5.1), New Jersey (5.0), Massachusetts (3.7) and Hawaii (3.4).

Deep red states have by far the highest death rates. They are "shitholes"... to quote our favorite President.
I don’t give a sh#t about any death rates in U.S. states. Don’t hang out with gang members, drug deals, or crazy people and the chances of dying from a homicide is practically 0. We live in an extremely safe country.

Missouri has two cities that make the top 10 in murders/capita in the country.... KC (MO) and STL.

Stl has a strong hold on the #1 spot. Chicago is like 30th.

What a special place.
Dems have run the city for 75. Incredibly bad batch at the moment with cori bush’s influence on the inept mayor and useless prosecutor. State is trying to take control of the police department. It really feels like an inflection point for the city. The mls stadium is simply incredible and giving rise to so much positivity and new development. Even the battle hawks are helping. KAKAW IS THE LAW. if the voters would wake up and run the progressives out there’d be real hope. It’s pretty remarkable what sports can sometimes do

Why is it that right wingers have such a difficult time with facts?

The REALITY is that the states with the most lax gun control laws have the HIGHEST per capita gun deaths. 9 of the top 10 states with the highest gun deaths per capita are bright red states.

And, of course, the states with the lowest number of gun deaths per capita have the strictest gun laws. That includes Illinois vs. Indiana.

Gun Deaths per Capita by State​

The following ten states have the highest gun deaths per capita (per 100,000): Alaska (24.4), Mississippi (24.2), Wyoming (22.3), New Mexico (22.3), Alabama (22.2), Louisiana (22.1), Missouri (20.6), South Carolina (19.9), Arkansas (19.3), and Montana (19.3). The states with the highest gun deaths per capita have some of the country's highest gun ownership rates. Montana has the highest with 66.3%, followed by Wyoming with 66.2%, and Alaska with 64.5%.

Missouri comes in at #6. Lol

Conversely, the states with the lowest gun deaths per capita are Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Hawaii, and Rhode Island, all of which have fewer than five gun deaths per 100,000 people. These states also have the lowest gun ownership in the United States. Massachusetts and New Jersey have the lowest gun ownership rate of 14.7%, followed by Rhode Island with 14.8%, Hawaii with 14.9%, and New York with 19.9%. These five states are the only state to have gun ownership rates below 20%.
Here are the 10 states with the highest gun deaths per capita:

1. Alaska - 24.5 per 100k people
  2. Alabama - 22.9 per 100k people
  3. Montana - 22.5 per 100k people
  4. Louisiana - 21.7 per 100k people
  5. Mississippi - 21.5 per 100k people
  6. Missouri - 21.5 per 100k people
  7. Arkansas - 20.3 per 100k people
  8. Wyoming - 18.8 per 100k people
  9. West Virginia - 18.6 per 100k people
  10. New Mexico - 18.5 per 100k people

Could it be anymore obvious? Illinois is 9 places less dangerous than Indiana.

This reminds me of a t-shirt that one of my fraternity buddies had from SMU. It said, “We’re not stuck up, we’re just better than you.”

Case closed.
Your statistics lie to you. The most dangerous counties in this country are places run by Democrats. You can narrow it down to specific neighborhoods. The vast majority of this country is safe as can be. Everyone in Indianapolis knows where you don't want to be after dark. Same for Chicago.

The entire state of Alaska had 90 murders and gets 7th in rate. New York City had over 400. Living in the huge state of Alaska is vastly safer than living in NYC.

Yeah, blue counties. Particularly blue counties that house major metropolitan areas.

Red rural counties.

The real gun violence problem we have in this country is one we have to tip toe around because of racism accusations. Young black men go around shooting other young black men in this country. That is the vast majority of the non-suicide related gun deaths in the U.S. And if you expand it out a bit to encompass gang and drug related shootings, there is the most of it.

Why do we have to tip to around the fact that easy access to guns IS the problem?

I spent a lot of time in Mexico during the pandemic and they are furious about the the guns (AR-15s, 50 Cala) that are flowing straight from Arizona and Texas to the drug cartels. We are creating our own problem with the drug cartels.

Guess how many gun stores there are in Mexico? 1

In 2020, the states with the highest rates of gun-related deaths – counting murders, suicides and all other categories tracked by the CDC – included Mississippi (28.6 per 100,000 people), Louisiana (26.3), Wyoming (25.9), Missouri (23.9) and Alabama (23.6). The states with the lowest rates included New York (5.3), Rhode Island (5.1), New Jersey (5.0), Massachusetts (3.7) and Hawaii (3.4).
Blue cities are where the deaths are. Doesn't matter what color of state they are in. The "dangerous" state of Wyoming had 27 total murders. That is a normal month in Chicago.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Why do we have to tip to around the fact that easy access to guns IS the problem?

I spent a lot of time in Mexico during the pandemic and they are furious about the the guns (AR-15s, 50 Cala) that are flowing straight from Arizona and Texas to the drug cartels. We are creating our own problem with the drug cartels.

Guess how many gun stores there are in Mexico? 1
States aren’t the measure. Cities and counties are. Buying guns is a small part of the equation. The guns are already on the streets.

As an aside hope you are well. You’ve been Mia

Dems have run the city for 75. Incredibly bad batch at the moment with cori bush’s influence on the inept mayor and useless prosecutor. State is trying to take control of the police department. It really feels like an inflection point for the city. The mls stadium is simply incredible and giving rise to so much positivity and new development. Even the battle hawks are helping. KAKAW IS THE LAW. if the voters would wake up and run the progressives out there’d be real hope. It’s pretty remarkable what sports can sometimes do
States aren’t the measure. Cities and counties are. Buying guns is a small part of the equation. The guns are already on the streets.

As an aside hope you are well. You’ve been Mia
Who says?

If that's you tip-toeing, it's like my lead footed kids trying to sneak quietly around the house.

I'd have gone with that the issue is poverty + density considering that various ethnic enclaves of immigrants (e.g., Irish, Italian) in big cities have been traditional hotbeds of violence when poverty met density over our country's history.

But if you can't blame immigrants, I guess Plan B of blaming "the blacks" is next on the list. Can't wait for Plan C....

Reactions: DrHoops
If that's you tip-toeing, it's like my lead footed kids trying to sneak quietly around the house.

I'd have gone with that the issue is poverty + density considering that various ethnic enclaves of immigrants (e.g., Irish, Italian) in big cities have been traditional hotbeds of violence when poverty met density over our country's history.

But if you can't blame immigrants, I guess Plan B of blaming "the blacks" is next on the list. Can't wait for Plan C....
And Chicago‘a black population has declined by over 30% in the last 10 years.

Let’s just face it, these people need to feel better than someone and black people are an easy target. They feel like if they can’t be better than a black person, who can they be better than?

Pathetic

And Chicago‘a black population has declined by over 30% in the last 10 years.

Let’s just face it, these people need to feel better than someone and black people are an easy target. They feel like if they can’t be better than a Black person, who can they be better than?

Pathetic
Black people are 13 percent of the population and account for half the violent crime. 24/25 of the most dangerous cities in America have two things in common: they are run by Dems and have a large black population. Just reality

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT