ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone else get “bored” with life?

Indigo1983

Redshirt
May 13, 2018
I'll try to explain the feeling as best I can. It's not so much a negative or cynical feeling, but more like - what else is there to do? I have felt the highest of highs, the lowest of lows, done my drugs and drinking, had successful and failed romances, I've been broke and I've lived the high life, etc. etc.

I do have hobbies and a pretty cool job. Life isn't bad. It just feels like I'm repeating myself at this point, just trying to stay calm, cool and collected so I can do the same things over again.

Perhaps it's just a side effect of depression or just delusional thinking, but I'm curious if this resonates with y'all or if y'all had ever had similar feelings?

Reactions: All4You and cryano
I'll try to explain the feeling as best I can. It's not so much a negative or cynical feeling, but more like - what else is there to do? I have felt the highest of highs, the lowest of lows, done my drugs and drinking, had successful and failed romances, I've been broke and I've lived the high life, etc. etc.

I do have hobbies and a pretty cool job. Life isn't bad. It just feels like I'm repeating myself at this point, just trying to stay calm, cool and collected so I can do the same things over again.

Perhaps it's just a side effect of depression or just delusional thinking, but I'm curious if this resonates with y'all or if y'all had ever had similar feelings?

You should read and study the book of Ecclesiastes. Solomon went through the very same feelings you are describing.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978

I have felt the same as you at times in my life, that I am just going through the motions while asking "is this all there is?" It first happened when I was in my late 30's. By this time I was well established in my career and no longer had to put in the long hours I did while I was forging my way. Along the way I lost my dad when I was 25 and my mom @ 33. I had been married for going on 2 decades with 3 kids. By my late 30's, I found myself with more time to devote to family, but my parents were gone and my kids were coming into their teen years. I had missed so much and wasted so many opportunities to that point so for me, I purposefully made my world smaller by focusing inward and on the connections that meant the most to me (wife, kids, immediate family). I embraced the mundane aspects of life and found both fulfillment and solace in doing so. And in times and years since then, when I felt that doubt and restlessness creeping back in I would do things to remind myself of all the blessings I have instead of focusing on what is missing.

Obviously everyone's situation is different and what worked for me might not be right for you. Just know that you are not alone in feeling this way. I think we all have at times in our lives. Just the fact that you recognize this and are willing to reach out is a great first step in getting a handle on it.

I have felt the same as you at times in my life, that I am just going through the motions while asking "is this all there is?" It first happened when I was in my late 30's. By this time I was well established in my career and no longer had to put in the long hours I did while I was forging my way. Along the way I lost my dad when I was 25 and my mom @ 33. I had been married for going on 2 decades with 3 kids. By my late 30's, I found myself with more time to devote to family, but my parents were gone and my kids were coming into their teen years. I had missed so much and wasted so many opportunities to that point so for me, I purposefully made my world smaller by focusing inward and on the connections that meant the most to me (wife, kids, immediate family). I embraced the mundane aspects of life and found both fulfillment and solace in doing so. And in times and years since then, when I felt that doubt and restlessness creeping back in I would do things to remind myself of all the blessings I have instead of focusing on what is missing.

Obviously everyone's situation is different and what worked for me might not be right for you. Just know that you are not alone in feeling this way. I think we all have at times in our lives. Just the fact that you recognize this and are willing to reach out is a great first step in getting a handle on it.
I know what you mean about embracing the mundane or ordinary things. On Saturdays I usually eat nachos. My grandson saw them and wanted to try. So he did and then he wanted more. It was just a sweet time sharing nachos with him.

Yes. Much of life is mundane - boring.

I'm not sure what you do for a living, but adrenaline can be a helluva habit. You might ask yourself whether you're an adrenaline junkie.

I'll try to explain the feeling as best I can. It's not so much a negative or cynical feeling, but more like - what else is there to do?
I call it the Peggy Lee Blues (Is That All There Is?).

Try this: do something for someone else, but don't get caught. Something small. And keep doing different small things for different people, but don't get caught. If you get caught, you've lost the game.

Once again you bring up some very poignant threads Indigo. There is a consistent theme in all of them. Here's my stream of consciousness response.

If I go back to my original premise of the passages of Life:

1) Seeking identity
2) Finding his/her community
3) The pursuit of a purpose

First, the seeking of identity may be the challenge -- when we are younger, we are seeking values, identities imposed on us externally ie whether it be some dogma (religious, cultural etc), or what society, friends or parents tell us what is good, important or acceptable. When younger, you internalise these 'values' as part of your own.

But as you mature, and are strong/brave or smart enough to question these 'personal values': Is this what life is all about? Is this me in a nutshell?

Its a pivotal point in one's personal growth -- the shift from one being an externally driven valued person into a more introverted personality.

The usual fallback, kneejerk reactions to such personal questioning are -- 'Its god's way', 'I am doing it for the family' etc. All externally imposed answers to your questioning.

The real question is something that needs to be asked by yourself with a series of 4AM in a room without any external distractions like kids, spouse, mobile phones etc.

You boredom comes when you feel like you are doing all sorts of things -- when you were younger to titillate your senses to getting educated to seismic changes in life like marriage, kids etc to jobs -- and yet it still feels like the wheel's spinning in the mud.

The bottom line is that most people have been lead down this rabbit hole/path into something that they had not put too much thought behind simply because it was imposed upon us by an external value system. You are told that you have 'freedom' and yet why does it feel that you are still trapped? Freedom isn't defined by political slogans -- its in your headspace.

The next step really is to de-construct your value system. Its tough because of its a mosaic of personal events, culture, dogma, education, geographical inputs (I am a Hoosier), family culture etc.

It's about analysing your life -- stripping down to the bare metal and asking yourself about each personal bucket of what is really important.

It's that, if I was alone in the house was on fire, and I could only take out 3 items (metaphorically) moment. Once you figure out those three items then you will realise that others are secondary and that you can focus your energy on those 3 items.

Stress and boredom become less of an issue since you are starting to really build a real personal identity.

Once again you bring up some very poignant threads Indigo. There is a consistent theme in all of them. Here's my stream of consciousness response.

If I go back to my original premise of the passages of Life:

1) Seeking identity
2) Finding his/her community
3) The pursuit of a purpose

First, the seeking of identity may be the challenge -- when we are younger, we are seeking values, identities imposed on us externally ie whether it be some dogma (religious, cultural etc), or what society, friends or parents tell us what is good, important or acceptable. When younger, you internalise these 'values' as part of your own.

But as you mature, and are strong/brave or smart enough to question these 'personal values': Is this what life is all about? Is this me in a nutshell?

Its a pivotal point in one's personal growth -- the shift from one being an externally driven valued person into a more introverted personality.

The usual fallback, kneejerk reactions to such personal questioning are -- 'Its god's way', 'I am doing it for the family' etc. All externally imposed answers to your questioning.

The real question is something that needs to be asked by yourself with a series of 4AM in a room without any external distractions like kids, spouse, mobile phones etc.

You boredom comes when you feel like you are doing all sorts of things -- when you were younger to titillate your senses to getting educated to seismic changes in life like marriage, kids etc to jobs -- and yet it still feels like the wheel's spinning in the mud.

The bottom line is that most people have been lead down this rabbit hole/path into something that they had not put too much thought behind simply because it was imposed upon us by an external value system. You are told that you have 'freedom' and yet why does it feel that you are still trapped? Freedom isn't defined by political slogans -- its in your headspace.

The next step really is to de-construct your value system. Its tough because of its a mosaic of personal events, culture, dogma, education, geographical inputs (I am a Hoosier), family culture etc.

It's about analysing your life -- stripping down to the bare metal and asking yourself about each personal bucket of what is really important.

It's that, if I was alone in the house was on fire, and I could only take out 3 items (metaphorically) moment. Once you figure out those three items then you will realise that others are secondary and that you can focus your energy on those 3 items.

Stress and boredom become less of an issue since you are starting to really build a real personal identity.

giphy.gif

Start gambling...

Makes it fun to watch any sport....and figure out trying to pay bills, mortgage, kids tuition etc

Occupies your daily looking at lines and the weak spots, your monthly looking at your sunken finances, and your yearly too...

Bored with life, and you're older than 25... check. I get more bored with bored with life posts though. Quit just thinking of yourself.... wake up man, get out there and find some T&A pics to post for your AOTF buddies. That's the secret.

Thanks, my post about adjustable beds was more important than this drivel.:cool:

Z310-0.jpg

even if it wasn't, and if nothing else I agree just because I think it was shorter, you at least know how to make up for it! This is the most proud I've been to be an American all day!

Reactions: largemouth

Y’all need some twang

Somebody touched on it above, but do something for someone else.

Personally, I like being bored. I get tired of all the drama in life and just enjoy vegging out, watching TV or reading.

I cured my middle age crisis by buying a small business. After a few years of that, you'll beg for boredom.

That was pretty darned good.

I'll see your Old Home Place and raise you a little bit of Johnny Cash and Alison Krauss . . .

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...3857F5ED3B1BD97379583857F5ED3B1BD97&FORM=VIRE

One of my great regrets is that I never got to see Cash.

But I did get to see Alison in a great venue here in Louisville - The Brown Theatre on Broadway - Louisville's second best:

brown-hero-2770x1370.jpg

Plus she has a tie to the hometown - she won a national fiddling contest in Owensboro when she was just a kid. (The Big O is still trying to sell itself as the bluegrass capital. They lost the annual blue grass fest to Nashville but they have opened a bluegrass museum on a refurbished riverfront bluff, and have been getting national talent (this summer's highlight was Ricky Skaggs). Time will tell. Until Kentucky decides to sell Bill Monroe and bluegrass a lot harder, its gonna stay a regional draw at best.)

OLD OLD school Alison:

OLD OLD school (Memphis) Cash:

But I did get to see Alison in a great venue here in Louisville - The Brown Theatre on Broadway - Louisville's second best:

brown-hero-2770x1370.jpg

Plus she has a tie to the hometown - she won a national fiddling contest in Owensboro when she was just a kid. (The Big O is still trying to sell itself as the bluegrass capital. They lost the annual blue grass fest to Nashville but they have opened a bluegrass museum on a refurbished riverfront bluff, and have been getting national talent (this summer's highlight was Ricky Skaggs). Time will tell. Until Kentucky decides to sell Bill Monroe and bluegrass a lot harder, its gonna stay a regional draw at best.)

OLD OLD school Alison:

I am seeing her for the first time next week. She is opening for Willie in the Fort.

Reactions: DANC

brown-hero-2770x1370.jpg

OLD OLD school Alison:

Cool looking venue. Seeing a show in the Ryman is still on my to do list. That looks like the Ryman dressed up a bit. I get to Lville some... I'll have to check on that place and try and catch a show.

brown-hero-2770x1370.jpg

OLD OLD school Alison:

My wife's father was a huge Cash fan. He became a Christian after having a stroke. Since Johnny was a believer and so was my father in law, I would like to think that they are enjoying some good times in that land that is a mystery to us, but which the Lord Jesus and the Apostle Paul called paradise.

Something that has been banging loudly on my front door lately is getting directly involved in helping the less fortunate. I had a serious motorcycle accident back on May 4th and since then my eyes are seeing a little clearer concerning the deeper things.

Where I can relate is the monotony of the corporate lifestyle. The repetition of the mornings, the commute, the meetings, the bullshit, the drive home, eat, go to bed, get up tomorrow and do it again. It turns you into a machine or at least you can begin to feel like one after 30 years of it.

The people I’ve noticed lately, (they’ve probably always been around me but I never really noticed) that seem to have one up on me are those that give themselves to something. Recently, I just went to Google and typed in “volunteer”. This site came up...

https://www.volunteermatch.org/

It’s unreal how many opportunities to help others are sitting in our backyards and it’s so cool how easy it is to find something that fits you. I really think this is one of the keys of life - of true fulfillment - at least that’s what I’ve seen in these special few I’ve noted lately.

So, in a couple of weeks I’ll be graduating from the wheelchair and crutches and will be pursuing two ventures - Habitat For Humanity and a Search and Rescue volunteer outfit that I discovered through one of my therapists who was rescued out of a blizzard off of Mt. Baldy here in the Eastern LA County area.

STFU and take your religious solicitation and shove it.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.[3]

I think you’re the one that should STFU!

Reactions: cryano and DANC
Something that has been banging loudly on my front door lately is getting directly involved in helping the less fortunate. I had a serious motorcycle accident back on May 4th and since then my eyes are seeing a little clearer concerning the deeper things.

Where I can relate is the monotony of the corporate lifestyle. The repetition of the mornings, the commute, the meetings, the bullshit, the drive home, eat, go to bed, get up tomorrow and do it again. It turns you into a machine or at least you can begin to feel like one after 30 years of it.

The people I’ve noticed lately, (they’ve probably always been around me but I never really noticed) that seem to have one up on me are those that give themselves to something. Recently, I just went to Google and typed in “volunteer”. This site came up...

https://www.volunteermatch.org/

It’s unreal how many opportunities to help others are sitting in our backyards and it’s so cool how easy it is to find something that fits you. I really think this is one of the keys of life - of true fulfillment - at least that’s what I’ve seen in these special few I’ve noted lately.

So, in a couple of weeks I’ll be graduating from the wheelchair and crutches and will be pursuing two ventures - Habitat For Humanity and a Search and Rescue volunteer outfit that I discovered through one of my therapists who was rescued out of a blizzard off of Mt. Baldy here in the Eastern LA County area.

So basically, MOH, you are saying this:

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:

“A servant of God will remain standing on the Day of Judgment until he is questioned about his time, how he used it; about his knowledge, how he utilized it; about his wealth, from where he acquired it and in what he spent it; and about his body, how he used it.” – Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 148

Reactions: All4You
So basically, MOH, you are saying this:

The Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) said:

“A servant of God will remain standing on the Day of Judgment until he is questioned about his time, how he used it; about his knowledge, how he utilized it; about his wealth, from where he acquired it and in what he spent it; and about his body, how he used it.” – Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 148
Yeah, that last part...”his body, how he used it” would definitely apply to what I was trying to get at. You know, my first notion, when faced with an open day, will 9 times out of 10 be something selfish. I’m thinking I need to make that more like 7/10 or even 4/10?? There are a lot of needs out there and I’m just one but I’m really being tugged at.

When you’ve laid flat on your back for almost 6 weeks with others wiping your ass, it puts a different perspective on life.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT