ADVERTISEMENT

Outdoors people: I'll put a possible pin on your trip map!

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
Took my 24 yo son up to camp on the Chatooga River in upstate SC on the GA border. I am super busy right now and basically decided to go just because I don't know how many more chances I'll get to take my son camping (nothing bad, he's just starting off in his life and I'm 58, so you never know! I had a work associate die unexpectedly and that will sober you up, right away!).

SC doesn't have nearly the amount of mountains that NC does, but this was a gorgeous area. We camped in a free campsite at Burrells Ford campground. You had a solid quarter mile hike into the campground and only pit toilets, but those "obstacles" keep the Walmart "car" campers away (if you know, you know!). Once in, you have great access to the river and it's pretty well-stocked because the SC hatchery at Walhalla is just a few miles up river. The plus I hadn't really researched much is that the SC Foothills Trail passes through this area. The trails are extremely well marked and maintained (I've been on the AT in a couple spots and these trails were nicer and much better signage and markings). I met a pair of hikers who were visiting from KY and TN and they were hiking the full 76 miles from Oconee State Park to Table Rock State Park. It also seems to have lots of campsites along the way. I also met a group of scouts who camped next to us Friday that were hiking a section. Several coyotes fired up Saturday night while we were around the campfire, and that was both spooky and cool. There were a few dogs in the campground, including my son's dog who was with us, that would get each other going, and I expected the coyotes to set them off and instead they were all spooked and quiet. If you're an outdoor enthusiast, hiker or fisher-person, you might want to consider a visit to this area. Lots of other stuff to see in this area: Lake Jocassee, near Helen GA, Wahalla Fish Hatchery, Cashiers NC, Brevard, and then Asheville and the BRP a little farther. Let me know if you want more info on any of these. I don't get there often enough, but have been around most of them.

Last edited:
Took my 24 yo son up to camp on the Chatooga River in upstate SC on the GA border. I am super busy right now and basically decided to go just because I don't know how many more chances I'll get to take my son camping (nothing bad, he's just starting off in his life and I'm 58, so you never know! I had a work associate die unexpectedly and that will sober you up, right away!).

SC doesn't have nearly the amount of mountains that NC does, but this was a gorgeous area. We camped in a free campsite at Burrells Ford campground. You had a solid quarter mile hike into the campground and only pit toilets, but those "obstacles" keep the Walmart "car" campers away (if you know, you know!). Once in, you have great access to the river and it's pretty well-stocked because the SC hatchery at Walhalla is just a few miles up river. The plus I hadn't really researched much is that the SC Foothills Trail passes through this area. The trails are extremely well marked and maintained (I've been on the AT in a couple spots and these trails were nicer and much better signage and markings). I met a pair of hikers who were visiting from KY and TN and they were hiking the full 76 miles from Oconee State Park to Table Rock State Park. It also seems to have lots of campsites along the way. I also met a group of scouts who camped next to us Friday that were hiking a section. If you're an outdoor enthusiast, hiker or fisher-person, you might want to consider a visit to this area. Lots of other stuff to see in this area: Lake Jocassee, near Helen GA, Wahalla Fish Hatchery, Cashiers NC, Brevard, and then Asheville and the BRP a little farther. Let me know if you want more info on any of these. I don't get there often enough, but have been around most of them.

A classmate recently completed the entire Appalachian Trail, over 2,000 miles! She did the first week with her swimsuit model daughter and did the rest without any family. Her husband flew in a couple of times to meet her. She celebrated her 60th birthday on the trail.

She posted her progress on social media and we tried to encourage her as best as we could. She said the last 100 miles are the most difficult and treacherous and made worse because of rain. The ending comes with hiking to the summit of a mountain in Maine.

I am so impressed with her. Not bad for my 8th grade girlfriend.

Your eyesight must be failing.

You didn't see the 'swimsuit' daughter bit? Ot you have dyslexia and got the sentences mixed up?
No. I was asking about his 8th grade girlfriend not the daughter, although if she's 18+ those would be appreciated too.

Reactions: sglowrider
Did you miss this part? Anything in a 2 piece? No piece suitable alternate.
I should have known the daughter would have distracted many of you. She is in her 30's now and trying to get into acting, but hard to do from Miami. Another fun fact is she used to babysit my niece and nephew. There are some pictures online, but I suck at linking pictures. I don't want to send everyone to her Facebook page. I'd share the info privately if you can do that on this site.

I should have known the daughter would have distracted many of you. She is in her 30's now and trying to get into acting, but hard to do from Miami. Another fun fact is she used to babysit my niece and nephew. There are some pictures online, but I suck at linking pictures. I don't want to send everyone to her Facebook page. I'd share the info privately if you can do that on this site.
Privately, on the AOTF? You brought it up, as you easily could have said she hiked with her daughter and no one would've raised a 'brow, but no, you threw in swimsuit model!

Linking pics is easy: Google search, images, click on the pick you want, then right click, and open in a new window. Copy URL and paste on the images picture link. And, viola, we have swimsuit pics!

Reactions: RedFan1
Privately, on the AOTF? You brought it up, as you easily could have said she hiked with her daughter and no one would've raised a 'brow, but no, you threw in swimsuit model!

Linking pics is easy: Google search, images, click on the pick you want, then right click, and open in a new window. Copy URL and paste on the images picture link. And, viola, we have swimsuit pics!
23059536890_e889f66080_b.jpg

The second image couldn't be loaded, but you get the idea. I have always thought she had a Cameron Diaz look.

Last edited:
“Dear Serial Killers:

I am walking the Appalachian Trail with my hottie model daughter, and posting our progress on the internet to make it easier for you to find us.

Signed,

Soon To Be Worm Food Hiker”

My grandmother bought me the book “A Walk Across America” because Peter Jenkins got saved at a James Robison crusade. I then spent a Spring Break on the AT down around Gatlinburg. In the words or Goose Creek Symphony, “I won’t go through that again.”

Reactions: kkott
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT