ADVERTISEMENT

Disrespect?

According to the Nebraska forum.........Frost questioned scheduling that would have them play OSU numerous times over a given # of years, and Indiana once.

IF that's what he said, as I suspect, since nobody has quoted him on here, it was clumsy, but it's not saying he 'wanted to play Indiana every year'. Like I said, it's no big deal....bulletin board stuff....but Fred's not the one to trash talk.

So if he said " We HAVE to play OSU 3 times and only GET to play IU once" you are OK with that?

Reactions: vesuvius13
So if he said " We HAVE to play OSU 3 times and only GET to play IU once" you are OK with that?

A little bit of context is in order here.......then people can reasonably decide whether or not to be butt hurt, instead of asking whether someone should be offended over something that was never said.

Last year, Frost's first year, Nebraska's cross-over games were OSU, MSU & Michigan. Given that fact, what I ASSUME happened was that someone informally asked him about the fairness of the CO scheduling. He apparently said, as best as I could find out, that it was strange? odd? that they had played OSU X #s of times, and Indiana only once. Now we don't KNOW that was what was said, because there was apparently no report at the time about what was said. No one thought at the time that it was any big deal or even worth commenting on.

As it turns out, Nebraska has played OSU 5 times and IU once, before this year. So what Frost said was factually correct. And they played OSU again this year. When they first got in the BT, OSU was one of their 2 cross-divisional opponents the first two years. I'm sure that was done to maximize BTN $ due to their traditional success. Now.....I don't recall IU bitching about Nebraska getting to play OSU outside their division, while we did not get to play Nebraska, MSU or UM, who were then the 3 best teams in the other division (we played Iowa & Northwestern. probably so we could be more competitibe, because we sucked).

So here we are. months later, and Fred feels the need to open his trap, after we win, to talk some trash. I'm sorry, it's a punk move. If it was so offensive, he should have said so at the time or just before the game. He knew, had he done so, that he risked looking like an idiot if we lost.

It was bs bulletin board stuff, the kind of stuff Dantonio has effectively used all the time in the past internally. The difference is, after he beat OSU or Michigan, he didn't call them out.....he acted like he had been there before. Glass should have known CTA was being overly-emotional about the situation. Instead, he felt like he had to add his $.02 worth.

Seems like a good time to mention Nebraska is 6-4 vs. Indiana in hoops since joining the Big Ten ;)

Next time add little pink bows atop your Skull & Crossbones stickers for a more appropriate look...

You had the crowd and the refs and you still couldn't beat us... That realization must really suck...

Now run along ne, I realize it must be confusing to you but we're talking Football on this site not bb...

A little bit of context is in order here.......then people can reasonably decide whether or not to be butt hurt, instead of asking whether someone should be offended over something that was never said.

Last year, Frost's first year, Nebraska's cross-over games were OSU, MSU & Michigan. Given that fact, what I ASSUME happened was that someone informally asked him about the fairness of the CO scheduling. He apparently said, as best as I could find out, that it was strange? odd? that they had played OSU X #s of times, and Indiana only once. Now we don't KNOW that was what was said, because there was apparently no report at the time about what was said. No one thought at the time that it was any big deal or even worth commenting on.

As it turns out, Nebraska has played OSU 5 times and IU once, before this year. So what Frost said was factually correct. And they played OSU again this year. When they first got in the BT, OSU was one of their 2 cross-divisional opponents the first two years. I'm sure that was done to maximize BTN $ due to their traditional success. Now.....I don't recall IU bitching about Nebraska getting to play OSU outside their division, while we did not get to play Nebraska, MSU or UM, who were then the 3 best teams in the other division (we played Iowa & Northwestern. probably so we could be more competitibe, because we sucked).

So here we are. months later, and Fred feels the need to open his trap, after we win, to talk some trash. I'm sorry, it's a punk move. If it was so offensive, he should have said so at the time or just before the game. He knew, had he done so, that he risked looking like an idiot if we lost.

It was bs bulletin board stuff, the kind of stuff Dantonio has effectively used all the time in the past internally. The difference is, after he beat OSU or Michigan, he didn't call them out.....he acted like he had been there before. Glass should have known CTA was being overly-emotional about the situation. Instead, he felt like he had to add his $.02 worth.

We play those teams every year. Has Allen and Glass cried publicly about it? Whatever his thoughts on the subject even of what ypu ASSUME was said he didnt need to throw us in there. Allen was there and maybe glass as well so I will trust their interpretation of what was said and whether to be butt hurt about it over yours.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
According to the Nebraska forum.........Frost questioned scheduling that would have them play OSU numerous times over a given # of years, and Indiana once.

IF that's what he said, as I suspect, since nobody has quoted him on here, it was clumsy, but it's not saying he 'wanted to play Indiana every year'. Like I said, it's no big deal....bulletin board stuff....but Fred's not the one to trash talk.
I've always thought Glass to be a soft AD, but I actually like him going after the Nebraska clowns with those comments. It reminds me of Louisville's old athletic director, Tommy Jurich. Tommy was a fantastic AD for UofL regardless of how Pitino shook out. He was also a bulldog who wouldn't put up with crap like that.

My hat's off to Fred Glass. We all have different opinions and different ways of looking at things.

As I am sure all Indiana athletic historians know, the late Bill Orwig, one if the finest AD’s in school history (Built Memorial Stadium and Assembly Hall, hired Bob Knight and was AD when the Hoosiers went to the Rose Bow) came to IU after serving as AD at Nebraska. Former Northwestern AD Tippy Dye also worked as AD at Nebraska in the 1950’s.

Was wondering about this. So the occurrence is a bit luck, combo'd with the B10 making the Bucket game annually?

1. They missed us for two years when they came into the conference because of the round robin timing.
  2. When the East/West came about a) they saw us less because of the Purdue lock in, and 2) we were in year 3 of their East rotation
That about it?

I mean, technically, it's true. I'm surprised we go back out there in three years, and they don't come here. Why did that happen? Shouldn't they be rotating the home/away with the West evenly? Because of the Bucket, we'll see some West teams once every 8 years in Bloomington? Strange.

Here's the Glass quote, per the link that 76-1 provided: "...Nebraska's staff had no respect for our program. They know, and I know, and our team knew, and I'll just leave it at that."

If this was in response to Frost questioning why he had to play Ohio State much more than IU, I don't get it. And yeah, that's very different than simply saying he wished they could play us more. Are we sure this is what Glass was talking about, or could it be something entirely different? In any event, disrespect of any kind for our program is inexcusable, and I'm glad we kicked their ass in their home stadium and ruined their season.

Next time add little pink bows atop your Skull & Crossbones stickers for a more appropriate look...

You had the crowd and the refs and you still couldn't beat us... That realization must really suck...

Now run along ne, I realize it must be confusing to you but we're talking Football on this site not bb...

Had the refs? That's funny.

Here's the Glass quote, per the link that 76-1 provided: "...Nebraska's staff had no respect for our program. They know, and I know, and our team knew, and I'll just leave it at that."

If this was in response to Frost questioning why he had to play Ohio State much more than IU, I don't get it. And yeah, that's very different than simply saying he wished they could play us more. Are we sure this is what Glass was talking about, or could it be something entirely different? In any event, disrespect of any kind for our program is inexcusable, and I'm glad we kicked their ass in their home stadium and ruined their season.

I think Frost is kind of a clumsy speaker. I don't think he meant any disrespect. I don't see it's much different than East Division ADs/coaches saying things like "We really need to look at these divisions". Isn't that just another way of saying we'd like to play Purdue, Illinois, NW, Iowa et al more and PSU/UM/MSU/OSU less?

If they were intentionally disrespectful, the time to say something was then or when they got back to Bloomington. Don't wait to see if you win, then whine about it. Now people just look at Fred and think what the f*** are you talking about, if they care at all. Even IF it is factually true that the Nebraska staff had NO respect for our program, which seems unlikely, what of it? You don't demand respect, you earn it. Wisconsin sucked for 30 years straight. Nobody had respect for their program. Then they haven't sucked for the last 15 years. They did something about it. Now there's very little talk of people disrespecting the Wisconsin program.

He mentioned IU because they've only played us once. He didn't mention Rutgers because they've played them 3 times. They've played IU & MD once, Rutgers 3x. OSU 5x, and PSU, MSU & UM several times each. It does seem arbitrary. That was the only point he was making, unless somebody can show us more. This is mountain out of molehill stuff, imo, and makes us look silly.

Last edited:
He's the AD of the University, I just don't think that's not his place to say what he said, but to each their own.

Allen can defend himself and his team. He’s completely capable of that if he chooses to. Glass, on the other hand, doesn’t know his head from his @ss. Maybe Fred should wait till we have some semblance of consistent success before he starts beating his chest and bleating to the media about “disrespect”. BTW he needs to realize that there is no vindication for him personally here. We’re finally starting to reap the rewards of Allen’s recruiting. That has nothing to do with Glass.

Reactions: HereYouGoIU
Allen can defend himself and his team. He’s completely capable of that if he chooses to. Glass, on the other hand, doesn’t know his head from his @ss. Maybe Fred should wait till we have some semblance of consistent success before he starts beating his chest and bleating to the media about “disrespect”. BTW he needs to realize that there is no vindication for him personally here. We’re finally starting to reap the rewards of Allen’s recruiting. That has nothing to do with Glass.
Ahhh...Idk, he's still the AD though, so...he does represent the entire AD, so...I don't have a problem with it, personally, but...put it this way, I have a MUCH bigger problem with what Frost said, than the fact that Glass retaliated, plus, I don't think CTA is the type to say that type of thing, although I could be wrong, he did call Michigan out after last year's game, although that was for things that happened on the field so...much ado about nothing(Glass's comments)imo, but it's whatever, I mean, you HAVE to be glad in a way at what he said, even if you don't like the fact that HE said it, don't you?

I think there is more to the story. More that we “don’t even know about”.

Given whop’s taunting penalty and Allen’s explanation for it, I think there was some player-led shenanigans coming from the Nebraska side...potentially before game day.

if not, then Allen did a helluva job firing up the team on little substance.

I think Frost is kind of a clumsy speaker. I don't think he meant any disrespect. I don't see it's much different than East Division ADs/coaches saying things like "We really need to look at these divisions". Isn't that just another way of saying we'd like to play Purdue, Illinois, NW, Iowa et al more and PSU/UM/MSU/OSU less?

If they were intentionally disrespectful, the time to say something was then or when they got back to Bloomington. Don't wait to see if you win, then whine about it. Now people just look at Fred and think what the f*** are you talking about, if they care at all. Even IF it is factually true that the Nebraska staff had NO respect for our program, which seems unlikely, what of it? You don't demand respect, you earn it. Wisconsin sucked for 30 years straight. Nobody had respect for their program. Then they haven't sucked for the last 15 years. They did something about it. Now there's very little talk of people disrespecting the Wisconsin program.

He mentioned IU because they've only played us once. He didn't mention Rutgers because they've played them 3 times. They've played IU & MD once, Rutgers 3x. OSU 5x, and PSU, MSU & UM several times each. It does seem arbitrary. That was the only

point he was making, unless somebody can show us more. This is mountain out of molehill stuff, imo, and makes us look silly.

Memories sometimes fail us and yours is a little skewed. The Badgers have had 3 losing seasons in the last 28 years. They had 6 consecutive losing seasons before Barry Alvarez arrived and turned it around in his third year going 5-6, 5-6 and 10-1 and going to the Rose Bowl. They were 6-15 from 1963-1983. Prior to 1964 they were 12-3 dating back to 1948 with three trips to Pasadena. They have been to the Rose Bowl 9 times since 1951 which is 6 times more than Indiana’s two Big Ten members.

Last edited:
BTW he needs to realize that there is no vindication for him personally here. We’re finally starting to reap the rewards of Allen’s recruiting. That has nothing to do with Glass.

Interesting. I assume that you were in the camp that believed that FG made a mistake in hiring Allen. I believe you stated as much.

So FG gets on vindication even when considering he is the one that hired CTA?

He may have indeed overstepped his bounds with what he said. It seems opinions differ BUT if CTA continues to win then FG should DEFINITELY get credit for hiring him.

Thanks for the correction. I liked that when it happened. It's taken a while, but we're no longer a laughingstock, and it started with Wilson.
You are both correct. CKW was waiting on the phone to go on the Dakich show. McAfee was in studio and the 2 of them were bashing the football program. CKW wasn't having it and hung up.

Reactions: BayernFan
The funny thing is next year they have to come to our place. More of the same will be in store.

Correction....we do not play Nebraska next year

East line up is at Rutgers, At Ohio State, Penn State, then at Iowa, after 3 OOC and two more B1G West games. Open season w/ Purdue in Lincoln in 2020. Single bye week.

You are both correct. CKW was waiting on the phone to go on the Dakich show. McAfee was in studio and the 2 of them were bashing the football program. CKW wasn't having it and hung up.

IIRC he didn't hang up, he gave them a piece of his mind. Danny sobbed about it for a long time.

Reactions: 76-1 and BayernFan
Geeesh what s dumb comment...uninformed to the max....silly...childish...amateur...OMG

Nebraska writer's take on "Disrespect-gate"

A lot was made of Indiana Athletic Director Fred Glass’s post game comments that took a shot at Nebraska for “disrespecting” the Hoosiers.

What was Glass talking about? Did he have reason to be upset? After hearing the story what made him so mad, it’s almost unbelievable he made this type of stink over it.

The incident happened at the Big Ten Coaches retreat in the winter of 2018. Scott Frost just had taken the Nebraska job. In a closed-door meeting with all Big Ten football head coaches and Athletic Directors, Frost brought up the fact there was an imbalance with crossover games. He said this is really hurting the Big Ten when it comes to the playoff because of the overscheduling of crossover games featuring the premiere programs.

He brought up that the Huskers will play Ohio State a fifth time in 2018, but they’ve only played Indiana just once over eight years since joining the conference in 2011. A lot of the coaches in the room were in disbelief and said, “that can’t be accurate.” Then they pulled up the schedule history and that’s how it played out. In fact, NU will play OSU nine times from 2011 to 2024 and Indiana just four times that same stretch.

After Frost made his point, other coaches in the room like Urban Meyer and James Franklin got behind him and agreed there needs to be more balance with crossover match-ups to help the league’s playoff chances. You don’t see the SEC purposely try to match the East and West powers more, they rotate things on an even cycle.

After this, they made a new policy where everybody will get a crossover team at random for a five-year cycle that is drawn out of a hat. Nebraska drew Michigan. They will play the Wolverines five straight years from 2021 to 2025. Three in Lincoln and two in Ann Arbor.

This is what Glass was so upset about. Somewhere in all of this Glass took it personally Frost used the Hoosiers as a scheduling imbalance example at a league meeting. The whole thing makes you shake your head, and also might affect what other coaches say in “closed door” private meetings going forward if what you say can then be used on the record against you the way Glass went at Frost.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Nebraska writer's take on "Disrespect-gate"

A lot was made of Indiana Athletic Director Fred Glass’s post game comments that took a shot at Nebraska for “disrespecting” the Hoosiers.

What was Glass talking about? Did he have reason to be upset? After hearing the story what made him so mad, it’s almost unbelievable he made this type of stink over it.

The incident happened at the Big Ten Coaches retreat in the winter of 2018. Scott Frost just had taken the Nebraska job. In a closed-door meeting with all Big Ten football head coaches and Athletic Directors, Frost brought up the fact there was an imbalance with crossover games. He said this is really hurting the Big Ten when it comes to the playoff because of the overscheduling of crossover games featuring the premiere programs.

He brought up that the Huskers will play Ohio State a fifth time in 2018, but they’ve only played Indiana just once over eight years since joining the conference in 2011. A lot of the coaches in the room were in disbelief and said, “that can’t be accurate.” Then they pulled up the schedule history and that’s how it played out. In fact, NU will play OSU nine times from 2011 to 2024 and Indiana just four times that same stretch.

After Frost made his point, other coaches in the room like Urban Meyer and James Franklin got behind him and agreed there needs to be more balance with crossover match-ups to help the league’s playoff chances. You don’t see the SEC purposely try to match the East and West powers more, they rotate things on an even cycle.

After this, they made a new policy where everybody will get a crossover team at random for a five-year cycle that is drawn out of a hat. Nebraska drew Michigan. They will play the Wolverines five straight years from 2021 to 2025. Three in Lincoln and two in Ann Arbor.

This is what Glass was so upset about. Somewhere in all of this Glass took it personally Frost used the Hoosiers as a scheduling imbalance example at a league meeting. The whole thing makes you shake your head, and also might affect what other coaches say in “closed door” private meetings going forward if what you say can then be used on the record against you the way Glass went at Frost.

Lol. First Nebraska is not a "Power". Nebraska plays OSU 9 times in 13 years? IU plays them 13 times in 13 years along with Michigan and PSU. Your coach can save his tears and keep our name out of his mouth. We will see you again in a couple of years and I dont think it will be forgotten. What your reporters think about is irrelevant.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT