ADVERTISEMENT

Did we used to pay attention to this?

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
I sort of kind of remember a little coverage in 2000, but I was young and probably drunk. But this is now two elections in a row in which counting the EC votes dominates prime time coverage. Was it always this way?

I sort of kind of remember a little coverage in 2000, but I was young and probably drunk. But this is now two elections in a row in which counting the EC votes dominates prime time coverage. Was it always this way?
Well 2000 and 2016 were both situations where the popular vote and EC were incongruent plus other issues. So it tracks. Kinda like the NFL draft 25 years ago. Nobody really paid attention other than the first round but the NFL put it on TV and generated hype. So we watch.

Apparently there were objections in 2004 by some Dems. I had no idea and I was generally tuned in back then (agreed on the drunk statement tho so who knows).

Now it’s theater. So we watch. Hype and a dearth of choices. Kinda explains M Night Shyamalan movies

Did it really "dominate coverage" in Jan 2017? I sure don't recall that. I know this is the first time I've ever paid any attention and I'm a political animal (and old). My memory is failing too, so maybe it was a big deal before and I'm just not remembering.

It was definitely not always this way. Partly because the media is so one-sided on aggregate that the Dems having protested the EC in the bush and trump elections went mostly unnoticed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT