ADVERTISEMENT

DHSOIG: SS deleted Jan 6 text messages after OIG asked for them

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
After the IG asked for electronic communications for Jan 6, SS just happened to delete a big chunk of them as part of a conspicuously-timed "device replacement."

This one sounds like it could be juicy.

After the IG asked for electronic communications for Jan 6, SS just happened to delete a big chunk of them as part of a conspicuously-timed "device replacement."

I am willing to accept it is just one of those things, but someone should dig into it to confirm. I am not willing to assume everything is a vast conspiracy.

SS is claiming they had a scheduled phone update in process.

Some midlevel techie is going to take the fall.
Even if it was part of an already scheduled upgrade, the deletions happened after they received a request from the IG for that particular data, so someone should have put the upgrade on hold and sent the data before continuing.

Even if it was part of an already scheduled upgrade, the deletions happened after they received a request from the IG for that particular data, so someone should have put the upgrade on hold and sent the data before continuing.
That is correct. That’s how legal holds work.

Don't they have an automated daily backup?

Crazy.

They can discredit/refute someone’s sworn testimony without going under oath themselves and then delete any potential evidence that might corroborate something or show their involvement:

Asked about the matter, a DHS Office of Inspector General spokesperson told The Intercept, “To preserve the integrity of our work and protect our independence, we do not discuss our ongoing reviews or our communications with Congress.”

One on hand, I guess I get that the secrets of the secret service need to be secure, but on the other hand this seems slippery-slope-ish and above the law-y to me.

Reactions: larsIU
Planning to whisk Pence away to a "secure location" was possibly part of the plot to install alternate electors.

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
Planning to whisk Pence away to a "secure location" was possibly part of the plot to install alternate electors.

Too much conspiratorial thinking.

The Secret Service's mission is to protect their charges. Moving Pence away from the Capitol would have served that mission, even if it meant defying orders. No different from them refusing to take Trump to the Capitol.

Pence refusing to get into the limo doesn't necessarily mean he thought they were part of some grand plot to overthrow the government. He knew that they would do what they are charged to do, even against his wishes. (Again, see their refusal to take Trump where he ordered them to go.)

What Pence rightly understood was that there was a possibility he would not be able to quickly return and resume his Constitutional duties. He had staked his entire career and legacy on performing those duties and wasn't about to put himself in a position where he would be unable to fulfill them. He made the right call. Luckily, the mob didn't get any closer. That might have taken the decision away from him.

Hard to believe they don’t have backups somewhere.

Reactions: DANC
Hard to believe they don’t have backups somewhere.

I don't understand text messaging architecture like I do email or NNTP, but I have to believe messages are retained somewhere besides the sending and receiving clients themselves.

I don't understand text messaging architecture like I do email or NNTP, but I have to believe messages are retained somewhere besides the sending and receiving clients themselves.
I was looking into text messaging for a project, we had to have backups of all messages. Phone companies only store them for a few days. So we had to use email.

Reactions: UncleMark

I saw that story but not sure what it means. Is this a positive development in potentially extracting the missing texts?

Also, to Marvin’s statement above, law enforcement agencies seem very capable of getting suspects texts from pretty far back during murder investigations. I’ve always assumed any text or email could be reproduced, if needed.

I saw that story but not sure what it means. Is this a positive development in potentially extracting the missing texts?

Also, to Marvin’s statement above, law enforcement agencies seem very capable of getting suspects texts from pretty far back during murder investigations. I’ve always assumed any text or email could be reproduced, if needed.
The big thing is the IG telling the SS to back off their own internal investigations, and the reference to a possible "criminal" investigation. It suggests whatever IG is looking at regarding these missing texts is a big deal.

Reactions: Morrison
Having a problem sorting out when the Secret Service agents follow the orders of the President and Vice President and when they don't.

Welcome any thoughts from fellow Coolerites.

One of the darkest days of our lifetime.. January 6..
January 6 will forever be a stain on the GOP. Not as big a stain as the high ground Dems would fancy it to be but a stain nonetheless.

January 6 will forever be a stain on the GOP. Not as big a stain as the high ground Dems would fancy it to be but a stain nonetheless.

Yes, true. It’ll be something that will be talked about for the rest of our lives. Like watergate begat all the subsequent ‘gates’ that we still use today. And also, yes, the dems will play politics ad nauseu, making it bigger than it is. But right now, there is a significant subset of republicans that are inexplicably standing behind the former president. Not you, but plenty on this forum. There’s no Dem exaggeration happening with making that so. They are legitimately behind trump in all this, right now, and its precisely what animates me about seeing him get what he deserves, lest we get another round of trumpism. I dont see a way around any of it, which means we have to deal with Dems beating a dead horse.…..and the republicans would be doing the exact same thing were it reversed. 100%. Its political tactics 101, and we’re stuck with it.

Yes, true. It’ll be something that will be talked about for the rest of our lives. Like watergate begat all the subsequent ‘gates’ that we still use today. And also, yes, the dems will play politics ad nauseu, making it bigger than it is. But right now, there is a significant subset of republicans that are inexplicably standing behind the former president. Not you, but plenty on this forum. There’s no Dem exaggeration happening with making that so. They are legitimately behind trump in all this, right now, and its precisely what animates me about seeing him get what he deserves, lest we get another round of trumpism. I dont see a way around any of it, which means we have to deal with Dems beating a dead horse.…..and the republicans would be doing the exact same thing were it reversed. 100%. Its political tactics 101, and we’re stuck with it.
Fully agree. The Dems are playing 3D chess around Jan 6th and the trumpers are falling right into their hands.

PB, found it interesting your bringing up Nixon's Watergate and what you called the Democrats playing politics against Trump. This brings to my mind some of the differences between the Watergate era and the Democrats of today constantly investigating Trump.

For starters, Nixon, unlike Trump, had highly respected Republican members of Congress such as Senator Howard Baker willing to pursue investigations. Given this, Nixon couldn't argue the investigations were just purely partisan political witch hunts.

Just as important, citizens faithful to the GOP and Trump stand behind Trump's arguments. After Nixon's "Saturday Night Massacre" an NBC News poll showed that 75% of the public disapproved of his actions. There is no way in America today with our staunchly divided politics 75% of the people would turn against Trump.

Personally, I don't see members of Congress, given differing parties, opinions, and political ambitions, ultimately coming together on much of anything. This wasn't the case back in the days of Watergate,

Last edited:
Reactions: IU_Hickory
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT