ADVERTISEMENT

Depth Chart

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
Based on absolutely nothing other than opinion, my guess at next year's depth chart is as follows

PG:
Starter - Xavier J, then Phinisee, Lander

SG
Starter - Parker S, then Leal

SF
Starter - Hunter, then Galloway, Geronimo

PF
Starter - Trayce, then Race

C
Starter - Brunk, then Duncomb

If CMW brings anyone else into the program, I hope he brings someone who can create off the dribble, create their own shot, etc. We haven't had that for years in B-town. I know people want shooters, and yes, we need them, but there's nothing like having a guy who, when the shot clock is ticking down, can just go manufacture a bucket on his own.

Reactions: ufo33
To run a 4 out offense well, you need 4 ball handlers/shooters. Your PF and C positions don't currently list someone with those skills.

Reactions: T.M.P.
To run a 4 out offense well, you need 4 ball handlers/shooters. Your PF and C positions don't currently list someone with those skills.
Just can't see that offense here next year.
Hunter..Race ..And ..And Trayce are all sub ball handlers..That's not going to change ....
Maybe it looks better than this year as far as the floor being spread.
But IU isn't going to look like the Zags or Baylor next year..

That’s actually not correct at all imo.

1 - 4 out and one in really only means 1 post player at a time. If Brunk and TJD can space the floor to 15-20 feet and be a willing shooter if their man helps and knock down a decent % that is basically all that is required.

2- TJD has absolutely shown he can take his man to the basket from 15 feet. He did it dozens of times last year. He does need to be willing to shoot the open jumper and from his press conference it sounds like Coach Woodson made that clear to him. I believe he will be at the 4 most of the time.

1 - 4 out and one in really only means 1 post player at a time. If Brunk and TJD can space the floor to 15-20 feet and be a willing shooter if their man helps and knock down a decent % that is basically all that is required.

2- TJD has absolutely shown he can take his man to the basket from 15 feet. He did it dozens of times last year. He does need to be willing to shoot the open jumper and from his press conference it sounds like Coach Woodson made that clear to him. I believe he will be at the 4 most of the time.
Exactly. If you are truly going to try and develop TJD as so many talk about, then he can't be the 1 in, nor have to guard the other team's 5 all the time. Should he play there some? Probably. But, if you are truly going to put actions behind your words then you need to get him out on the perimeter on O and D to develop him for the NBA.

Based on absolutely nothing other than opinion, my guess at next year's depth chart is as follows

PG:

SG

SF

PF

C

If CMW brings anyone else into the program, I hope he brings someone who can create off the dribble, create their own shot, etc. We haven't had that for years in B-town. I know people want shooters, and yes, we need them, but there's nothing like having a guy who, when the shot clock is ticking down, can just go manufacture a bucket on his own.

there was one guy who could manufacture his own bucket, but he now plays for Virginia

Mike Woodson will likely work toward a 4-out, 1-in offense, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will be a staple of next season's team. With the players currently at Woodson's disposal and with what he wants to do with Jackson-Davis, does it make sense to start Brunk at the 5 and allow Jackson-Davis to play as more of a flex 4? I'm not really sure if that would bog down the offense at all, as it would only leave three guard spots open, likely for Xavier Johnson, Parker Stewart and Rob Phinisee in a starting five.

I don’t know why people think Brunk is going to start. Woodson plays 4 out 1 in offense. The only way TJD starts at the 4 is if he makes a major leap forward in his shooting.

Lander
Johnson
Stewart
Hunter
TJD
Because TJD basically said Coach Woodson sold him on returning by getting him able to play on the perimeter. Not gonna do that playing center every game.

Because TJD basically said Coach Woodson sold him on returning by getting him able to play on the perimeter. Not gonna do that playing center every game.
I read TJD’s comments to be that Woodson would develop his right hand and his jumpshot. I don’t recall seeing anything about playing on the perimeter all the time.

Regardless, Race is better than Brunk.

I read TJD’s comments to be that Woodson would develop his right hand and his jumpshot. I don’t recall seeing anything about playing on the perimeter all the time.

Regardless, Race is better than Brunk.
It’s fair to think Race is better. I am not so sure. A lot depends on Brunk’s health but defensively I think we are a better team with TJD/Brunk over TJD/Race. Race brings a toughness which I love but I think there were a lot of teams this last year that Brunk would have helped a ton against playing the 5.

Personally I hated Hunter/Geronimo playing the 4. Defensively they just couldn’t get it done consistently. Although Geronimo held up much better than I expected as a 6’6” freshman. I think no matter what happens TJD/Race/Brunk will all play starter minutes and man the 4/5 positions 90% of the time which imo makes us a much better defensive team at those spots.

I don’t know why people think Brunk is going to start. Woodson plays 4 out 1 in offense. The only way TJD starts at the 4 is if he makes a major leap forward in his shooting.

Lander
Johnson
Stewart
Hunter
TJD
I don't see any way that Lander starts. In fact with the additions of Johnson and Stewart and returning Phin (who I'm not a big fan of at the moment), Lander's minutes will go down, not up. There isn't one guard on the current team that he's better than at this point. And if we pick up another good guard type of player from the portal his minutes more than likely decrease even further. He has shown no reason to give him more minutes thus far. With that said, I do hope that he improves and can contribute more though.

Reactions: TR32
Exactly. If you are truly going to try and develop TJD as so many talk about, then he can't be the 1 in, nor have to guard the other team's 5 all the time. Should he play there some? Probably. But, if you are truly going to put actions behind your words then you need to get him out on the perimeter on O and D to develop him for the NBA.
This is why we need to use a scholly on a serviceable big.

Reactions: kkott and 76-1
Not exactly. He sold him on getting his right hand up to par and shooting open jumpers. In the Katz interview he specifies mid-range for Trayce.

Not exactly. He sold him on getting his right hand up to par and shooting open jumpers. In the Katz interview he specifies mid-range for Trayce.
I also thought in his press conference he touched on Brunk going down forced him to play down low every game. And that with Brunks return it opened him up to do other things.

I took that as Brunk was going to be back at center but perhaps I am wrong.

I also thought in his press conference he touched on Brunk going down forced him to play down low every game. And that with Brunks return it opened him up to do other things.

I took that as Brunk was going to be back at center but perhaps I am wrong.
He's a traditional 4 With great footwork around the rim. He'll have to have a great off-season. I'm not ready to count on Brunk to be our every day 5, either.

Reactions: Beorik
He's a traditional 4 With great footwork around the rim. He'll have to have a great off-season. I'm not ready to count on Brunk to be our every day 5, either.
For sure a lot is going to depend on Brunks health. Hopefully he comes back full strength.

PG:

SG

SF

PF

C

I believe that Lander will play a larger role in the offense next year. Just an opinion. If we move into a more transition-forward game/offense...this is going to play to his strengths a bit more...he'll be a year older, stronger, wiser, experienced....

Too early.

Stats from last Season say otherwise - PS -.373/.386 to AF -.432/.422 for 2pt./3 pt. %. If anything it's quite the opposite.
You are going strictly off percentage. All of Armaan’s shots were catch and shoot. Stewart is a really good shooter both in catch and shoot and off the dribble.

Through two college seasons, Franklin has 53 made 3s. Stewart has almost triple that at 142 made 3s.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
It’s fair to think Race is better. I am not so sure. A lot depends on Brunk’s health but defensively I think we are a better team with TJD/Brunk over TJD/Race. Race brings a toughness which I love but I think there were a lot of teams this last year that Brunk would have helped a ton against playing the 5.

Personally I hated Hunter/Geronimo playing the 4. Defensively they just couldn’t get it done consistently. Although Geronimo held up much better than I expected as a 6’6” freshman. I think no matter what happens TJD/Race/Brunk will all play starter minutes and man the 4/5 positions 90% of the time which imo makes us a much better defensive team at those spots.
We will have to agree to disagree here. I think Brunk was one of the worst defensive players on the team. I still have nightmares of him hard hedging.

I don't see any way that Lander starts. In fact with the additions of Johnson and Stewart and returning Phin (who I'm not a big fan of at the moment), Lander's minutes will go down, not up. There isn't one guard on the current team that he's better than at this point. And if we pick up another good guard type of player from the portal his minutes more than likely decrease even further. He has shown no reason to give him more minutes thus far. With that said, I do hope that he improves and can contribute more though.
Would you have said the same of Armaan after his freshman year?

If you trusting TJD or Hunter to face up and dribble
Boom..
I just chuckle at fans that think any of those four freshmen ..Just become great over the summer..
Yes better ..At lest we all hope so.And hopefully with covid getting some better..
Summer workouts will be back ..And that will help...Could Leal or Galloway have a two or three games with 12 or 15..Yeah I can see that.
But all the main scoreing is going to come from TJD..Race Stewart ..Johnson ..Hunter..and some other player we dont even know at the moment..
At very lest..We'll have more options..

Reactions: TR32
If you trusting TJD or Hunter to face up and dribble

Boom..
I just chuckle at fans that think any of those four freshmen ..Just become great over the summer..
Yes better ..At lest we all hope so.And hopefully with covid getting some better..
Summer workouts will be back ..And that will help...Could Leal or Galloway have a two or three games with 12 or 15..Yeah I can see that.
But all the main scoreing is going to come from TJD..Race Stewart ..Johnson ..Hunter..and some other player we dont even know at the moment..
At very lest..We'll have more options..
I'm optimistic that the 2020 class (Lander, Geronimo, Leal & Galloway) will have the individual motivation to get in the gym and get better over the summer. Does that mean I think they will all of a sudden be all-conference players? No. I simply think that between time alone in the gym working on their craft and quality coaching from Woodson that each of those guys will be improved next season.

I'm not sure who will be a better shooter between Stewart and Armaan. Stewart has not had B1G defenses affecting him. And Armaan did have the B1G defenses on him plus there were not a lot of other 3-point shooters on IU's team except for Al. Kind of academic now, since Armaan has gone poof.
And as far as Xavier Johnson starting as PG over Phin and Lander, I believe that we will see a lot of that. Which raises a bunch of issues. Such as, XJ's turnovers and keeping players happy. XJ has a lot of assists and rebounds, too. Hope that he does well. Hope he controls his temper instead of getting T'd.

There is no center in the 4 out. Look at Baylor. No listing of centers. They are all guards and forwards. Also I believe you won’t have point guards. You will have ball handlers.

Reactions: Champs1976
I'm not sure who will be a better shooter between Stewart and Armaan. Stewart has not had B1G defenses affecting him. And Armaan did have the B1G defenses on him plus there were not a lot of other 3-point shooters on IU's team except for Al. Kind of academic now, since Armaan has gone poof.
And as far as Xavier Johnson starting as PG over Phin and Lander, I believe that we will see a lot of that. Which raises a bunch of issues. Such as, XJ's turnovers and keeping players happy. XJ has a lot of assists and rebounds, too. Hope that he does well. Hope he controls his temper instead of getting T'd.
Stewart hit 70 3s and shot 39% as a true freshman against ACC competition at Pitt.

You are going strictly off percentage. All of Armaan’s shots were catch and shoot. Stewart is a really good shooter both in catch and shoot and off the dribble.

Through two college seasons, Franklin has 53 made 3s. Stewart has almost triple that at 142 made 3s.
So what? Simply being more prolific doesn't make him a "better shooter". As for comparing Stewart's stats at UT-Martin to those of someone in the B10? Seriously? And "all his shots" were not "catch and shoot" as early on he showed a very solid mid-range jumper off the dribble.

PS had 71 threes in 32 games at Pitt and the same in 25 games at UTM the last Season he played. AF had 36 last year in 21 (11 less - was injured in the MD game) games and played the last ten on a bad ankle. His 3 pt. shooting subsequently dropped from 48% (20-42) to 37% (16-43) and visibly effected his performance/success driving to the rack.

Bottom line is that Stewart got his 71 3s playing 839 and 904 minutes for Pitt and UT respectively compared to half that for AF in 422 minutes in half or less than half as many minutes. For production per 40 minutes or per 100 possessions w.r.t. 3 pt.%, AF performed better than PS: 44% (IU in 2020-21) to 39% (Pitt in 2017-18) & 35% (UTM in 2019-20).

No one is saying that PS hasn't got talent, but being the go-to option for a Team in whatever mighty conference UTM is in doesn't make for much in the way of valid/objective comparison. His Pitt numbers were solid, but not better than AF's, so let's see how he does in the 'big pond' against perhaps the grittiest and most physical defenses in the NCAA before declaring him better than what/who was.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
So what? Simply being more prolific doesn't make him a "better shooter". As for comparing Stewart's stats at UT-Martin to those of someone in the B10? Seriously? And "all his shots" were not "catch and shoot" as early on he showed a very solid mid-range jumper off the dribble.

PS had 71 threes in 32 games at Pitt and the same in 25 games at UTM the last Season he played. AF had 36 last year in 21 (11 less - was injured in the MD game) games and played the last ten on a bad ankle. His 3 pt. shooting subsequently dropped from 48% (20-42) to 37% (16-43) and visibly effected his performance/success driving to the rack.

Bottom line is that Stewart got his 71 3s playing 839 and 904 minutes for Pitt and UT respectively compared to half that for AF in 422 minutes in half or less than half as many minutes. For production per 40 minutes or per 100 possessions w.r.t. 3 pt.%, AF performed better than PS: 44% (IU in 2020-21) to 39% (Pitt in 2017-18) & 35% (UTM in 2019-20).

No one is saying that PS hasn't got talent, but being the go-to option for a Team in whatever mighty conference UTM is in doesn't make for much in the way of valid/objective comparison. His Pitt numbers were solid, but not better than AF's, so let's see how he does in the 'big pond' against perhaps the grittiest and most physical defenses in the NCAA before declaring him better than what/who was.
In each of their true freshman years at P5 schools, Parker Stewart performed at a high level and proved he was a great shooter. Armaan Franklin was a horrid shooter his first year.

Franklin is only a catch and shoot guy from 3 which is what we are talking about. Parker Stewart is the better shooter and it isn’t particularly close. Carsen Edwards only shot 35% from 3 his senior year. Is Armaan a better shooter than him too?

Reactions: limestonecowboy
Lets not argue. None of us know for sure how it will turn out. Franklin improved a ton and if he keeps on that trajectory he could be great.

What I think we can all agree on is that Johnson/Parker at least on paper looks like an improvement over Rob/Franklin from last season.

Hopefully with that, plus some improvements made by Lander, Hunter, Geronimo, and basically all other returning players, and add in a more up tempo, spread out offense and we should see some improvement.

I hope you are correct regarding TJDs ability to shoot. As I said, I haven't seen that yet but its a skill he needs to be effective. Im not counting on much from Brunk with his bad back and Duncomb may be a redshirt.

Until we get another transfer, I would move Geronimo and Hunter into the 4 position.

Woodson wants to run 1 in and 4 out
best lineup would be for that would be.

G Johnson, Lander,
G Stewart, Leal
G Phinsee, Galloway
F Hunter, Geronimo, Duncomb
F Jackson, Race,
If no new blood is added, that is your starting lineup. Let’s just hope they can board.

I hope you are correct regarding TJDs ability to shoot. As I said, I haven't seen that yet but its a skill he needs to be effective. Im not counting on much from Brunk with his bad back and Duncomb may be a redshirt.

Until we get another transfer, I would move Geronimo and Hunter into the 4 position.
I hope he can shoot it too. Obviously none of us have seen him in practice so who knows until he starts taking them in games.

I personally would go get 2 bigs of any skill level before playing Hunter and Geronimo at the 4. I think either of them can switch to a 4 defensively for a few possessions per game and be ok but if I am an opposing coach and had a 6’6” or 6’7” 210 lbs guys on one of my 6’10”, 240+ guys I would post them up and make IU double team all 15 minutes they were in the game. I don’t think I could lose a game to that lineup if I had a 4 that had size and post skills.

In each of their true freshman years at P5 schools, Parker Stewart performed at a high level and proved he was a great shooter. Armaan Franklin was a horrid shooter his first year.

Franklin is only a catch and shoot guy from 3 which is what we are talking about. Parker Stewart is the better shooter and it isn’t particularly close. Carsen Edwards only shot 35% from 3 his senior year. Is Armaan a better shooter than him too?
Look, I’m optimistic about Parker too but he’s never played against the kind of D he will routinely see in the B1G. Looking forward to seeing how he does. It would change the outlook of our offense if he could reliably hit from deep. And let’s not sleep on Rob. He has the potential yet to be a very effective perimeter player for us.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine

You're offering a lot of opinion and virtually nothing to back it up. If you want to pretend that a lone comparison between performance as freshmen represents a definitive distinction in current prowess, then you do. It's called cherry-picking and reverse hypothesis, i.e., beginnng with a conclusion and dismissing any any all evidence to the contrary in prejudicial favor to that which supports it. Fool's gambit. GLWT.

PG:

SG

SF

PF

C

Nope.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT