ADVERTISEMENT

Depth Chart

You ignorant fool. Armaan Franklin never took 3s off anything but catch and shoot. I proved you a complete fool by providing you with the TS% and EFG% of both players. I’m assuming you don’t even know what TS% or EFG% are or how to look them up since you tried to claim Oladipo and Hulls (you did say Hulls) were worse than Stewart at one point, and they weren’t.

I would absolutely take you up on your $100 bet that Stewart has a higher TS% and EFG% than Franklin does next year.

Now you are trying to change the convo to who will have more 20 point games or play better defense. Classic strawman.

Armaan has never averaged 1 PPP. Let that sink in. He was extremely overrated. As a scorer because all of our players besides TJD were terrible offensive players. Come back and try again when the stats actually backup your point.

You've provided very very little but alluded to quite a lot. So I looked it up and, lo and behold, in the last Season for each Player, Armaan (even hampered with a chronic injury for half his games), had higher true shooting AND effective field goal percentages (.547 & .517) than Parker (.546 & .505). One has to incorporate freshmen stats for each to change that to advantage Parker.

Now that your argument has been obliterated your using your own citations/evidence, are you still insistent that Parker is a "far better shooter". And just out of curiosity, what exactly do you understand the term "far"to signify? For my part if you were to say he's "far better at getting fouled" (and thus using FTs to raise his 'points per possession' value), no one would likely disagree. But that's not what you said.

And you can't quote or show me where I brought up Hulls because it never happened.

And I was not trying to "change "the conversation - I was trying to end it because you're weak-minded and tedious. Far more interested in figuring out what a loser like Tony Bennett sees in an "overrated" bum like Franklin and why Virginia never made a run at Stewart after he scorched them for 12 pts. three years ago during conference play. Go figure.

Enclosed a clip from Franklin's freshman Season that proves he is only a 'catch and shoot' Player who cannot drive, shoot from mid-range/off the bounce, or create his own shot. Do hope you enjoy it.
🎃 😱

PG - Johnson, Phinisee, Lander

SG - Stewart, Leal

SF - Galloway

PF - Thompson, Hunter, Geronimo

C - Jackson-Davis, Brunk, Duncomb

Based off of below article

Last edited:
Reactions: T.M.P.
One of the last guys I would have cited to be able to play Baylor's game would be Hunter. I've said in other posts that that players like Lander and Hunter would get demolished in that kind of game, just not physically built to play at that level. I'm not stupid.
Nobody is saying that. Sure he will get beat by Baylor or a bunch of other teams. I believe he will run the 4 out no matter what. His 4 better be able to shoot it or they won’t play much. We also still don’t know how the roster will fill out. Hunter may play the 3 spot instead. I for one don’t see TJD or Race being ready to play the 4 spot. One thing is for sure it won’t be 2 guys in the paint.

I have a hard time not playing our best players and Race was pretty strongly one of our best players.

Here’s our roster ranked by last year's Per and Offensive Rating. Two of the most universally trusted offensive stats.

Name-PER-O-rating

TJD - 26.5 - 111.6
Xavier J - 20.8 - 108.3
Race - 19.4 - 113
Parker - 19.2 - 107.6
Brunk (20) - 15.5 - 103.4
Aarman - 14.4 - 98.9
Durham - 13.3 - 108.5
Geronimo - 11.9 - 94.2
Hunter - 11 - 98.2
Rob P - 9.3 - 91
Leal - 8.2 - 93.6
Galloway - 7.3 - 93.7
Lander - 2.8 - 70

As you can see we have four serious offensive dudes in TJD, Race, Xavier and Parker.

There's a huge drop off after that to bench level numbers.

Lander is alone on an island with how bad he was last year.

Keep in mind this is just offensive numbers so yeah, I have a difficult time with Race being benched. I get you want 4 perimeter players but man, enough to bench our highest efficient offensive player?

I gotta think they'll figure out a way.

My hope is a lineup of Xavier, Parker, Hunter, Race and Trayce (or Trayce and Race) but could definitely see a better ball handler than Hunter, moving Parker down to the three.

That's probably what we're going to get unless Hunter or Lander show up totally different players.

So....Xavier, Rob, Parker, Race, Trayce.

Regardless I think the big four will be Xavier, Parker, Race and TJD.

You've provided very very little but alluded to quite a lot. So I looked it up and, lo and behold, in the last Season for each Player, Armaan (even hampered with a chronic injury for half his games), had higher true shooting AND effective field goal percentages (.547 & .517) than Parker (.546 & .505). One has to incorporate freshmen stats for each to change that to advantage Parker.

Now that your argument has been obliterated your using your own citations/evidence, are you still insistent that Parker is a "far better shooter". And just out of curiosity, what exactly do you understand the term "far"to signify? For my part if you were to say he's "far better at getting fouled" (and thus using FTs to raise his 'points per possession' value), no one would likely disagree. But that's not what you said.

And you can't quote or show me where I brought up Hulls because it never happened.

And I was not trying to "change "the conversation - I was trying to end it because you're weak-minded and tedious. Far more interested in figuring out what a loser like Tony Bennett sees in an "overrated" bum like Franklin and why Virginia never made a run at Stewart after he scorched them for 12 pts. three years ago during conference play. Go figure.

Enclosed a clip from Franklin's freshman Season that proves he is only a 'catch and shoot' Player who cannot drive, shoot from mid-range/off the bounce, or create his own shot. Do hope you enjoy it.
🎃 😱

You are going to include Stewart’s stats from UT Martin where he was forced to jack up shots? As a Freshman Stewart was a better shooter than Armaan Franklin was as a sophomore. You want to know what I mean by far better shooter? I’ll take a bet with you right now that Parker Stewart HITS 20+ more 3s than Armaan and shoots a higher percentage from 3 (obviously injuries null).

The video you linked doesn’t show Armaan shooting a single 3 off the dribble. He is all catch and shoot.

Stewart does it 9 times in the video below:

Next year when he is back to mostly catch and shoot 3s, we will see if you still think Armaan is a better shooter.

I have a hard time not playing our best players and Race was pretty strongly one of our best players.

Here’s our roster ranked by last year's Per and Offensive Rating. Two of the most universally trusted offensive stats.

Name-PER-O-rating

TJD - 26.5 - 111.6
Xavier J - 20.8 - 108.3
Race - 19.4 - 113
Parker - 19.2 - 107.6
Aarman - 14.4 - 98.9
Durham - 13.3 - 108.5
Geronimo - 11.9 - 94.2
Hunter - 11 - 98.2
Rob P - 9.3 - 91
Leal - 8.2 - 93.6
Galloway - 7.3 - 93.7
Lander - 2.8 - 70

As you can see we have four serious offensive dudes in TJD, Race, Xavier and Parker.

Keep in mind this is just offensive numbers so yeah, I have a difficult time with Race being benched. I get you want 4 perimeter players but man, enough to bench our highest efficient offensive player?

My hope is a lineup of Xavier, Parker, Hunter, Race and Trayce (or Trayce and Race) but could definitely see a better ball handler than Hunter, moving Parker down to the three.

That's probably what we're going to get unless Hunter or Lander show up totally different players.

I think you will find Hunter and Lander are more equipped for a run and gun pro style offense rather than whatever Archie was running the last 4 years. We will see though.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
And Kofi never really won anything. They sure lit it up in the tournament. How’s those trees Purdue,UK, NC doing? They are getting run off the boards and out gunned. They constantly are out of position.
He won the Big Ten tourney and a number 1 seed. You are trying to make an argument for a 4 out offense. TMP used Illinois as an example, which is true. And then you come back and say they never won anything. Kofi is the 5. They definitely played Williams, Frazier, Ayo, and Miller out. Illinois is indeed an example of 4 out, but it is likely because of how insanely big Kofi is, as well as, like I said, the fact that their top playmaker was 6'6".

And Timme was a true post. He was exploited by Baylor but Baylor led the frigging nation in 3pfg%

The five position has nothing to do with the conversation.

You're stuck in the 80's and just aren't getting it.
I'm not stuck in the 80's. You and Victorbemyboy are making different arguments.

Name-PER-O-rating

TJD - 26.5 - 111.6
Xavier J - 20.8 - 108.3
Race - 19.4 - 113
Parker - 19.2 - 107.6
Aarman - 14.4 - 98.9
Durham - 13.3 - 108.5
Geronimo - 11.9 - 94.2
Hunter - 11 - 98.2
Rob P - 9.3 - 91
Leal - 8.2 - 93.6
Galloway - 7.3 - 93.7
Lander - 2.8 - 70

If Race can develop,into a bigger scoring threat in the post against bigger defenders, he and Trayce can play together in a 4 out. Or if Trayce can become enough of a threat that defenses don't sag on him outside.

You are going to include Stewart’s stats from UT Martin where he was forced to jack up shots? As a Freshman Stewart was a better shooter than Armaan Franklin was as a sophomore. You want to know what I mean by far better shooter? I’ll take a bet with you right now that Parker Stewart HITS 20+ more 3s than Armaan and shoots a higher percentage from 3 (obviously injuries null).

The video you linked doesn’t show Armaan shooting a single 3 off the dribble. He is all catch and shoot.

Stewart does it 9 times in the video below:

Next year when he is back to mostly catch and shoot 3s, we will see if you still think Armaan is a better shooter.
So now there are extenuating circumstances because he "had to jack-up shots"? Well that changes everything. Completely forgot about the suffocating defense they play in the OVC against future NBA types and their brutal in-conference scheduling. So no sale - you're clutching at straws.

Look, there's no question that Parker was probably the better Player in every offensive respect as a freshman than Armaan as a freshman. This debate began because you asserted that "Parker is a far better shooter than Franklin" and every representation you've made to defend that has been shredded except for the comparison of their performance as freshmen. Only they're not freshmen anymore and your assertion said "is", not "was".

I know the video doesn't show any 3s off the dribble but it does show everything else I listed and that you claimed wasn't part of his game. There just isn't a highlight reel of him from this last Season, perhaps because he didn't need one to sweeten his recruitment prospects. No idea, but I do know what I saw this Season and all his 3s weren't just catch and shoot. Maintain otherwise if you must, I no longer really care. But just for the record, I never said "Armaan is a better shooter" - I simply provided stats/arguments to challenge your assertion that Stewart was "far better". For all you know, I may have simply been playing 'devil's advocate'.

So no bet, because you're simply not trustworthy. IMO you're disingenuous, irrational and have repeatedly misrepresented and/or flat out fabricated things that I've said. I've a bet with Cav even though we both sort of regard the other as delusional, but that's because he's consistent, doesn't try and move the goalposts and isn't a coward about owning up to the things he says or admitting when he's wrong. He has/shows honor and I respect that even if I might think he's a schmuck. Only bet with people I like and you haven't given me an excuse. Do admire tenacity, but that's not enough.

One of the last guys I would have cited to be able to play Baylor's game would be Hunter. I've said in other posts that that players like Lander and Hunter would get demolished in that kind of game, just not physically built to play at that level. I'm not stupid
I think you will find Hunter and Lander are more equipped for a run and gun pro style offense rather than whatever Archie was running the last 4 years. We will see though.
I think you are right. Certainly Lander but I think Hunter could be better as well.

Reactions: TrojanFan004
So now there are extenuating circumstances because he "had to jack-up shots"? Well that changes everything. Completely forgot about the suffocating defense they play in the OVC against future NBA types and their brutal in-conference scheduling. So no sale - you're clutching at straws.

Look, there's no question that Parker was probably the better Player in every offensive respect as a freshman than Armaan as a freshman. This debate began because you asserted that "Parker is a far better shooter than Franklin" and every representation you've made to defend that has been shredded except for the comparison of their performance as freshmen. Only they're not freshmen anymore and your assertion said "is", not "was".

I know the video doesn't show any 3s off the dribble but it does show everything else I listed and that you claimed wasn't part of his game. There just isn't a highlight reel of him from this last Season, perhaps because he didn't need one to sweeten his recruitment prospects. No idea, but I do know what I saw this Season and all his 3s weren't just catch and shoot. Maintain otherwise if you must, I no longer really care. But just for the record, I never said "Armaan is a better shooter" - I simply provided stats/arguments to challenge your assertion that Stewart was "far better". For all you know, I may have simply been playing 'devil's advocate'.

So no bet, because you're simply not trustworthy. IMO you're disingenuous, irrational and have repeatedly misrepresented and/or flat out fabricated things that I've said. I've a bet with Cav even though we both sort of regard the other as delusional, but that's because he's consistent, doesn't try and move the goalposts and isn't a coward about owning up to the things he says or admitting when he's wrong. He has/shows honor and I respect that even if I might think he's a schmuck. Only bet with people I like and you haven't given me an excuse. Do admire tenacity, but that's not enough.
You won’t do the bet, because you know I’ll be right. You were the only one moving the goalposts throughout this entire discussion. Can’t wait for next season when Stewart proves you wrong. Stewart is a better offensive player than Armaan and it isn’t particularly close.

Based on absolutely nothing other than opinion, my guess at next year's depth chart is as follows

PG:
Starter - Xavier J, then Phinisee, Lander

SG
Starter - Parker S, then Leal

SF
Starter - Hunter, then Galloway, Geronimo

PF
Starter - Trayce, then Race

C
Starter - Brunk, then Duncomb

If CMW brings anyone else into the program, I hope he brings someone who can create off the dribble, create their own shot, etc. We haven't had that for years in B-town. I know people want shooters, and yes, we need them, but there's nothing like having a guy who, when the shot clock is ticking down, can just go manufacture a bucket on his own.

Shooting/scoring still a problem. MW knows this better than anybody. Gonna take time.

in the last Season for each Player, Armaan (even hampered with a chronic injury for half his games), had higher true shooting AND effective field goal percentages (.547 & .517) than Parker (.546 & .505).

Though he may have shot better percentages he wasn't as prolific or productive.. Look at his PER it's tiers higher than AF even when compensated for SOS. Higher per 40 scoring also.

PS was more productive per minute more productive per possession. AF's per possession numbers at .98 are below average for his role and his PER is also below average for the amount of touches he had. A 14 PER is not impressive, it's barely acceptable. We call it the suck line.

Franklin was just at suck, that's how bad IU's backcourt was last year. IU's other guards made him look better than he was. The potential is there, it's obvious, everyone sees it but he has not met it except in flashes. Parker Stewart has been better so far.

Last edited:
enough to bench our highest efficient offensive player?
Yes.

Player efficiency vs team efficiency .. team every time.

Unless he or TJD develop the ability to drive past opposing fours who will often be quicker, shoot from 20' (the corner) and be able to switch unto even quicker players he becomes redundant. Ya never know, it could happen.. or not.

Basically last years vs of RT and TJD shouldn't be on the court at the same time, maybe next years versions can.

Last edited:
Yes.

Player efficiency vs team efficiency .. team every time.

Unless he or TJD develop the ability to drive past opposing fours who will often be quicker, shoot from 20' (the corner) and be able to switch unto even quicker players he becomes redundant. Ya never know, it could happen.. or not.

Basically last years vs of RT and TJD shouldn't be on the court at the same time, maybe next years versions can.

Were our lineups more efficient with Hunter at the four? I don't know but I have my doubts especially when you balance both offensive PPP and defensive PPP (or really the additional possessions that we gave up because our rebounding really suffered, particularly offensive rebounds and Race actually collects an above average amount of blocks and steals to give us more possessions).

I understand we want to go smaller to space the floor but again I have a hard time sitting a guy who has a per 20 when his replacement is a per 11.

Thats a huge gap.

I mean yeah playing Akeem and Ralph Sampson together for the Rockets wasnt the most efficient use but you don't sit Sampson for ML Carr.

Hopefully Woodson will figure it out.

I think this is going to be the first year since the Yogi team that we'll have four per ~20 guys (of course who knows if Johnson and Stewart can hit that mark at IU).

Anyway, the example I heard was when Dinardo took over the football program he had a fullback named Johnson who was an all conference player. Dinardo said the he runs the west coast offense and doesn't use a fullback so he basically dropped the player. That player went on to play in the NFL for a decade.

Point being, I'm guessing Woodson gets them both on the court unless someone like Hunter or Geronimo turn into beasts in the off season.

You won’t do the bet, because you know I’ll be right. You were the only one moving the goalposts throughout this entire discussion. Can’t wait for next season when Stewart proves you wrong. Stewart is a better offensive player than Armaan and it isn’t particularly close.

You’re exhausting. Grab a towel and lock the bathroom door for two minutes while you continue to fantasize about PS.

In each of their true freshman years at P5 schools, Parker Stewart performed at a high level and proved he was a great shooter. Armaan Franklin was a horrid shooter his first year.

Franklin is only a catch and shoot guy from 3 which is what we are talking about. Parker Stewart is the better shooter and it isn’t particularly close. Carsen Edwards only shot 35% from 3 his senior year. Is Armaan a better shooter than him too?
I hope you are right about Stewart being a better shooter than Franklin. The problem is we haven't seen Stewart against B1G competition.

PG - Johnson, Phinisee, Lander

SG - Stewart, Leal

SF - Galloway

PF - Thompson, Hunter, Geronimo

C - Jackson-Davis, Brunk, Duncomb

Based off of below article
Great article. Thanks.

Though he may have shot better percentages he wasn't as prolific or productive.. Look at his PER it's tiers higher than AF even when compensated for SOS. Higher per 40 scoring also.

PS was more productive per minute more productive per possession. AF's per possession numbers at .98 are below average for his role and his PER is also below average for the amount of touches he had. A 14 PER is not impressive, it's barely acceptable. We call it the suck line.

Franklin was just at suck, that's how bad IU's backcourt was last year. IU's other guards made him look better than he was. The potential is there, it's obvious, everyone sees it but he has not met it except in flashes. Parker Stewart has been better so far.
Granted, but then the debate was specific to the assertion that "Stewart is a far better shooter than Franklin", not that he was "far more productive" or "far more prolific". No issue with anyone stating that he's a better Player, at least offensively, but then one wouldn't say someone is a 'better Father' just because he had more children or had them faster. Well, not unless they're talking about making soylent green. or such.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Were our lineups more efficient with Hunter at the four? I don't know but I have my doubts especially when you balance both offensive PPP and defensive PPP (or really the additional possessions that we gave up because our rebounding really suffered, particularly offensive rebounds and Race actually collects an above average amount of blocks and steals to give us more possessions).

I understand we want to go smaller to space the floor but again I have a hard time sitting a guy who has a per 20 when his replacement is a per 11.

Thats a huge gap.

I mean yeah playing Akeem and Ralph Sampson together for the Rockets wasnt the most efficient use but you don't sit Sampson for ML Carr.

Hopefully Woodson will figure it out.

I think this is going to be the first year since the Yogi team that we'll have four per ~20 guys (of course who knows if Johnson and Stewart can hit that mark at IU).

Anyway, the example I heard was when Dinardo took over the football program he had a fullback named Johnson who was an all conference player. Dinardo said the he runs the west coast offense and doesn't use a fullback so he basically dropped the player. That player went on to play in the NFL for a decade.

Point being, I'm guessing Woodson gets them both on the court unless someone like Hunter or Geronimo turn into beasts in the off season.
I don't think that Trayce or Race necessarily need to be able to stretch out to 3 to play together, but I think one or both need to be able to knock down those Cody Riley type looks. I'll be surprised if Woodson has them clogging up the driving lanes like last year though for sure.

I didn't watch a lot of Baylor games, but, if you look at their minutes played, it looks like they had two guys that never shoot 3's on the court together for about 25- 30 minutes or so each game. The three 250-ish pound guys never shot 3's and even though two of them played together frequently, they did so without clogging or spacing issues. I'd have to re-watch a game or two to be sure that I'm not wrong about this, but my morning math tells me I'm right just looking at their minutes.

Reactions: TommyCracker
I don't think that Trayce or Race necessarily need to be able to stretch out to 3 to play together, but I think one or both need to be able to knock down those Cody Riley type looks. I'll be surprised if Woodson has them clogging up the driving lanes like last year though for sure.

I didn't watch a lot of Baylor games, but, if you look at their minutes played, it looks like they had two guys that never shoot 3's on the court together for about 25- 30 minutes or so each game. The three 250-ish pound guys never shot 3's and even though two of them played together frequently, they did so without clogging or spacing issues. I'd have to re-watch a game or two to be sure that I'm not wrong about this, but my morning math tells me I'm right just looking at their minutes.

Race hit that sideline jumper in a few early games, and then basically never took anymore the rest of the season. Archie really misused this roster. Stubborn ****er. Gonna be very interesting to see how much different the same players are used. Obviously I assume some players like Trayce and Lander will flourish, but I expect Race to be better suited for it as well. Race is crafty and can run up and down and still be productive.

Baylor had the best shooting guards in the country and it wasn't close. If JTT, Thamba or Vital were on the court they were going 100 MPH and beasts on the boards. They were always the strongest and toughest guys on the court, and the effort was run through a wall. All 5 other guys that played will play in the NBA. Just unreal scouting and recruiting by Drew. Mulletman would have been all bigten last year and he came off the bench. They were such a better team than Gonzaga, if they played a 7 game series Baylor might have lost a game, but probably would have swept them.

Reactions: TommyCracker
One guy who could have a tremendous breakthrough is Geronimo. If he works hard in the summer ,this young man could be very good. Especially on offensive boards and put backs.I'm rooting for him.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
One guy who could have a tremendous breakthrough is Geronimo. If he works hard in the summer ,this young man could be very good. Especially on offensive boards and put backs.I'm rooting for him.
Yup, all he needs a motivator, he has all the tools. The ceiling is the roof baby!!!!

I hope you are right about Stewart being a better shooter than Franklin. The problem is we haven't seen Stewart against B1G competition.
We have seen him against ACC competition though. He performed very well even as a true freshman against that talent.

Yup, all he needs a motivator, he has all the tools. The ceiling is the roof baby!!!!
Last Player for IU I can recall with his athleticism/motor was Andre Reed although Troy Williams could get pretty jiggy with it. Jordan definitely has some attributes that simply can't be taught.

I absolutely agree but think he's much more in play the year after this.

With everyone back I don't see his path to minutes unless he develops crazy over the summer.

Hopefully Woodson is upfront and presents a development plan for him as something like....lets take this year and make you a monster. Let's develop you physically and really work on your handle and make you a shooter.

Then you'll be a 30 minute beast for us next year because I truly believe he's got an NBA potential if he can get a better handle and play that 3 wing spot or small 4.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT