ADVERTISEMENT

Defense

Doesn't Virginia play Pack Line D also? Pack Line D works well when executed properly!

I have to admit it does seem to work well when done properly.
I wasn't a fan of the pack line, simply because I think any time you are using a single defensive scheme, good coaches will be able to exploit it at points.
But I'm really starting to like how it closes off the baseline and down low.
The guys are recovering well on shooters, and getting in the passing lanes as well.
Marquette is a much better offensive team, with better shooters, so we'll get to see how good we really are, but I'm just smiling!

I agree. Montana State had their fair share of looks from deep, but couldn’t capitalize. Granted they had IU players closing out on them hard for the most part, but that’s definitely the chink in the armor I would say. The length of this team helps mitigate it, I believe. Concerning when you watch how Duke drops 3’s, but you can’t have them penetrating at will with their big freshmen either. So far the results speak for themselves. Then again, didn’t a hot shooting 16 seed take down UVA by going unconscious from deep? I think our arms are longer than theirs were.... hopefully

Reactions: Brockway
I like what I'm seeing but let's not get carried away. We just played 2 of the worst D1 teams in the country. Marquette isn't a great team but they're a good one and are well coached. Playing in the Hall we should win by about 15 I'd say. If it's a squeaker or god forbid we lose we're probably not as good as we think. Arkansas will be a challenge too being on the road. The next 7 days will tell us where we stand.

Reactions: hoosier48
I like what I'm seeing but let's not get carried away. We just played 2 of the worst D1 teams in the country. Marquette isn't a great team but they're a good one and are well coached. Playing in the Hall we should win by about 15 I'd say. If it's a squeaker or god forbid we lose we're probably not as good as we think. Arkansas will be a challenge too being on the road. The next 7 days will tell us where we stand.

15? C'mon, that's crazy. Line will probably be about 3-4 pts I would expect. How do you come up that we should win by 15 in our first game of the season against a good opponent? If it's a squeaker, that's still a win! Don't forget all the new pieces we have. A win would be great in any way, shape or form.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
15? C'mon, that's crazy. Line will probably be about 3-4 pts I would expect. How do you come up that we should win by 15 in our first game of the season against a good opponent? If it's a squeaker, that's still a win! Don't forget all the new pieces we have. A win would be great in any way, shape or form.

Because home court, especially AH, is worth about 10 pts in college basketball. We would easily be favored on a neutral site. Last season's squad probably could've beaten MU at home. They had MSU, PU, and OSU almost beat all of whom were a bit better than this year's MU team. We are supposed to be light years ahead of last season's squad.

Reactions: hoosier48
I agree. Montana State had their fair share of looks from deep, but couldn’t capitalize. Granted they had IU players closing out on them hard for the most part, but that’s definitely the chink in the armor I would say. The length of this team helps mitigate it, I believe. Concerning when you watch how Duke drops 3’s, but you can’t have them penetrating at will with their big freshmen either. So far the results speak for themselves. Then again, didn’t a hot shooting 16 seed take down UVA by going unconscious from deep? I think our arms are longer than theirs were.... hopefully
IU on a regular basis should have more talent and athleticism than Virginia has had, particularly on offense. Virginia's problem is they like to play at a snail's pace and they rarely get easy baskets in transition. It will be interesting to see how well this defense works with elite, rangy, and athletic players mixed in.

Because home court, especially AH, is worth about 10 pts in college basketball. We would easily be favored on a neutral site. Last season's squad probably could've beaten MU at home. They had MSU, PU, and OSU almost beat all of whom were a bit better than this year's MU team. We are supposed to be light years ahead of last season's squad.
It's November, even if we lose this game I'm not going to freak out. People are picking Marquette to win the Big East over Villanova this year, they are a good team. We have a lot of young guys playing, some injuries, and haven't even set our rotation yet. It's a long season and last year showed that Archie's teams are going to improve throughout the year. The whole goal is to be playing your best around tourney time and that's still a long way away.

Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
It's November, even if we lose this game I'm not going to freak out. People are picking Marquette to win the Big East over Villanova this year, they are a good team. We have a lot of young guys playing, some injuries, and haven't even set our rotation yet. It's a long season and last year showed that Archie's teams are going to improve throughout the year. The whole goal is to be playing your best around tourney time and that's still a long way away.

I won't freak out as long as we win but if we're really a legit Elite 8/B1G title contender we should win by double digits.

just-win-baby.jpg

Reactions: GregHaggard
Well coached. Lmao.

If you really think we're going to be -15 against Marquette you're out of your mind.

Maybe Marquette is "a legit Elite 8" contender as well.
Marquette will need to prove they are that good. I'm not buying the hype that is out there. Romeo will break out in one of these games. He has shown he can get to the basket We were able to exploit Montana inside early and Romeo adjusted his game. I noticed Fitzner knowing where to play against the 1-3-1 and Morgan took advantage. This team is better prepared and paying attention in the early season.

I believe we will see a lot of man to man against Marquette. I think it bodes well for Romeo. Morgan, and Smith. Phinisee will face a different defense and level of pressure. I believe he will remain our best option at PG, but he will be challenged in this game.

Marquette will need to prove they are that good. I'm not buying the hype that is out there. Romeo will break out in one of these games. He has shown he can get to the basket We were able to exploit Montana inside early and Romeo adjusted his game. I noticed Fitzner knowing where to play against the 1-3-1 and Morgan took advantage. This team is better prepared and paying attention in the early season.

I believe we will see a lot of man to man against Marquette. I think it bodes well for Romeo. Morgan, and Smith. Phinisee will face a different defense and level of pressure. I believe he will remain our best option at PG, but he will be challenged in this game.

IU will also need "to prove they are that good". Winning big against two sub-300 teams doesn't prove much of anything, nor does "exploit(ing) Montana inside early", particularly since at least two of their frontline guys wouldn't even make the bench in the B10.

At this point all that's really clear is that the Team is no longer undersized and is better at every position (starting or off the bench) than last year, has 10+ Players capable of scoring in double figures, and is learning to play coherent defense. TOs are still an issue, free-throw shooting appears if anything to be worse, anticipated improvement in range from deep has yet to materialize and at least three rotation Players are already/still dealing with injury issues.

Am not predicting squat until I see how IU deals with a B10-caliber squad that fields a veteran frontline and sharpshooting backcourt - yet again, Marquette game should be revelatory on a number of levels.

IU will also need "to prove they are that good". Winning big against two sub-300 teams doesn't prove much of anything, nor does "exploit(ing) Montana inside early", particularly since at least two of their frontline guys wouldn't even make the bench in the B10.

At this point all that's really clear is that the Team is no longer undersized and is better at every position (starting or off the bench) than last year, has 10+ Players capable of scoring in double figures, and is learning to play coherent defense. TOs are still an issue, free-throw shooting appears if anything to be worse, anticipated improvement in range from deep has yet to materialize and at least three rotation Players are already/still dealing with injury issues.

Am not predicting squat until I see how IU deals with a B10-caliber squad that fields a veteran frontline and sharpshooting backcourt - yet again, Marquette game should be revelatory on a number of levels.
We haven't seen Romeo's full effect .

Marquette will see a different IU on Wednesday. Romeo showed us parts of his game, but he hasn't needed to force anything or be aggressive to the basket. He did have a stretch in the CSU game where he was unstoppable. He played very unselfish in the last game.

I believe we are the better team, with the better coach, and playing at home. A double digit win would not surprise me. I am most interested to see if we will develop into a team that can keep their foot on the gas with the lead. This would be our first chance to practice that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT