ADVERTISEMENT

DeBord's age

CC Mac

All-Big Ten
Aug 19, 2002
I keep reading comments on here concerning DeBord's age, not sure what the big deal is?
Bill Belicheck 64
Nick Saban 65
Les Miles 63
Pete Carroll 65
Mike DeBord is 60 years old, why is he continually called 'grandpa' and 'old man'?
Not a big deal I know, just seems odd to me.
I think we can all agree the coaches I listed are not too old to be effective and sucesssful coaches.

Last edited:
I keep reading comments on here concerning DeBord's age, not sure what the big deal is?
Bill Belicheck 64
Nick Saban 65
Les Miles 63
Pete Carroll 65
Mike DeBord is 60 years old, why is he continually called 'grandpa' and 'old man'?
Not a big deal I know, just seems odd to me.
I think we can all agree the coaches I listed are not too old to be effective and sucesssful coaches.
Just some lame PU fans with the childish need to be critical of everything IU.

Lots of the comments come from them but I have read a few similar comments from regulars as well.
Well, anyone, regardless of allegiance, who says that has an agenda. I haven't seen those comments from IU people, but I'm pretty sure if we hired 65 year old Nick Saban, for instance, you wouldn't hear anyone call him "grandpa". Knowledge and ability are what is important , not numerical age.

The honest truth is that DeBord looks more like a grandpa than a lot of the guys you list.

The honest truth is that DeBord looks more like a grandpa than a lot of the guys you list.
Like his age, his appearance is irrelevant.

Sure, the guy's bald and carrying some extra pounds, but take a look at Andy Reid.

Like his age, his appearance is irrelevant.

Sure, the guy's bald and carrying some extra pounds, but take a look at Andy Reid.

M9JBaYI.jpg

I think appearance matters in terms of how people perceive them. Joe Maddon's exactly 2 years older than DeBord and nobody thinks he's coasting towards retirement.

Ah, the good old days when kids were taught to respect their elders..., and most actually did..., sigh...

A smart young guy would want to be coached by a guy who has seen it all both in college and in the NFL, and has proven himself to be a great coach in both venues.

Debord's age (which to me is a non-factor, [I mean he's NOT 99 with dementia for gosh sakes]), seems to actually be a positive filter for us recruit wise. We'll only get the character young guys who are mature and serious about learning their craft.

Last edited:
Reactions: flyer1985 and DANC
Like the cliche goes,,,it aint the years, its the miles...vbg. Debord does NOT sound burned out to me. We are near the same age and Im anything but "old"...vbg. I was concerned we might have been nothing more than a paycheck close to home, making retirement, when it came, sweeter.

But I'll go on record to say Debord seems like he wants to prove something and raise IU FB at the same time. I love it. I like him and the staff more every day, with every tidbit I learn about them.

I dont think its a stretch to say...this staff has the potential to be the finest, most talented staff top to bottom IU has ever had. There have been individual great coaches, but as a whole this group could actually make me believe we are going some place...eventually. I dont think next season, but hey...thats why they play anyway.

Bottom line...considering who remained and who Coach Allen added, we are poised to go to greater heights. We should count our blessing here.

Now all they gotta do is go out there and win.:rolleyes:

When I board and airplane, I like to see a little grey in the pilots' hair.

I dunno . . . my dad had 28,000 captains hours when he retired from flying and when guys he flew with would say that (about them selves mostly) he'd respond that he wanted to know how the pilot got the gray hair first . . . .

Reactions: Sassy61
I dunno . . . my dad had 28,000 captains hours when he retired from flying and when guys he flew with would say that (about them selves mostly) he'd respond that he wanted to know how the pilot got the gray hair first . . . .
Did your dad fly for Cummins and later UPS (or FedEx)?

Nope. He was in the Army Air Corps during WWII . . . he retired from Cummins.

Before jets it took a lot longer to fly the same distances.
Guy I knew got layed off as a Cummins pilot in '82 or '83 and moved him to IT to try to make him a programmer. Didn't work out so well. lol I think his name was Fred. Real good guy - we had a lot of laughs. I think he went to work for UPS. Fred the Programmer-Pilot.

Guy I knew got layed off as a Cummins pilot in '82 or '83 and moved him to IT to try to make him a programmer. Didn't work out so well. lol I think his name was Fred. Real good guy - we had a lot of laughs. I think he went to work for UPS. Fred the Programmer-Pilot.

That's about when my dad retired . . . I don't recall a Fred who was a pilot back then. Hmmm . . . I'll have to ask my mom and brother about that one.

Cummins didn't like to let folks go back then . . . they moved a lot of guys around to other positions to try to take care of them. I know a few pilots who did that once they turned 60, or when their health didn't let them pass their flight physicals.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT