ADVERTISEMENT

Dawkins Gone

I’m not saying it’s a conspiracy theory, but clearly something was miscommunicated here. Or expectations weren’t met.
He was told he would be given the opportunity to “compete” for the job, no promises, he said the same in interviews. He was the 3rd best quarterback in camp, whether you like it or not, it’s that simple.

I love these folks who think a guy that couldn't start for Arizona is just going to walk in and start for IU. Also that our coaches should just hand him the job. He looks like a great runner on tape but he isn't an accurate passer at all. If the strength this year is supposed to be running the ball why would we play a guy who will guarantee 8 in the box.
You act like Arizona is Ball State. They’ve won at least 7 games in 5 of the 6 seasons Rich Rod has been there. Including a couple years at 8 wins and one at 10 wins. They’re clearly the superior program here. If Dawkins could play there, I think it was a fair assumption that he could contribute here.

You act like Arizona is Ball State. They’ve won at least 7 games in 5 of the 6 seasons Rich Rod has been there. Including a couple years at 8 wins and one at 10 wins. They’re clearly the superior program here. If Dawkins could play there, I think it was a fair assumption that he could contribute here.
He CHOSE not to contribute.... He CHOSE to QUIT.

This is more a reflection on Dawkins than our staff. It was very clear from the start that the message to Dawkins was to come here and “compete” for a starting spot. No guarantees.
That said, it is a bit odd that we clearly went after a grad transfer because we were concerned about the current stable of QBs at the start of the spring. Most teams do NOT get a grad transfer QB and not have that kid start. That’s the Catch-22: you bring in a grad transfer and the impression you project you don’t think the current guys will be able to run the offense as well as 5th year senior. They were up front with the guy but Dawkins had to have been thinking “they would’t Bring me here if they didn’t think I would be THE guy.” However, most grad transfer guys were starters and looking for a change of scenery. Dawkins was not a starter last year. As opposed to, say, a high profile guy like Michigan’s transfer from Ole Miss.
Dawkins likely was even behind Penix.
The bottom line is that Dawkins came in and fell to #3 on the depth chart.

Penix red shirt is.....well, you can remove that right now. Kid will play.
But, we just got very thin at a vulnerable spot.

The recent developments have me a bit discouraged before the season even starts. Ellison and Dawkins. I’ve joked before about IU football being cursed but.....damn, we don’t catch many breaks. Oh well, guess we need to go out and win in spite of all of that.
If we have bad luck at that spot (as is the case for IU football) we may just be looking at Johnny Pabst starting by mid season, depending of course on the use of Reese Taylor.

Another year... another train wreck... another chapter in IU Football! Quiting... suspensions... distractions... failures. "Are You A Narcissist?" or "Are You Just Plain Stupid?" tests should been given to all incoming athletes before they are offered a scolly.
While we're at it, might apply that to Presidential elections too.

Reactions: IUgradman
If this is how he handles challenges/adversity, I'm glad he's gone. It defies logic to think he was somehow lured here without a fair chance of being the starter. I'll trust CTA's judgment on Ramsey.

McHoop

Reactions: kmathum and 76-1
Penix red shirt is.....well said:
This is the crux of the matter. Right? Ramsey has the chops to start. Penix, well, he may well be the future and figure in prominently in the planning, but he is a DeBord recruit; he was brought here to play. Young master Dawkins simply did not or could not play his way in early enough for his liking.

It the dude were NFL stock...he would've taken Ramsey out of this...and Penix too.

He didn't. He took his toys and went home.

He lost his job there. They lost to Purdue just like we did. They aren't a great program either.

Reactions: kmathum
Our fault, his fault, nobodies fault, it's still going to keep me up at night until at least Saturday night.

The guy proved to be a loser. He was afraid to compete at Arizona and he was afraid to compete at Indiana. This really sucks.
Please don't call a kid, especially one who invested more into our program than almost all of us have, a loser through the safety of a keyboard. I know you're frustrated, but that's not a good look for this board or for Indiana football.

Interesting that you point out that they've one 7 games in 5 of the last 6 seasons. The one season that they did not win at least seven games was 2016.....the year that Dawkins happened to be their starter. They went 3-9 that season.

This is more a reflection on Dawkins than our staff. It was very clear from the start that the message to Dawkins was to come here and “compete” for a starting spot. No guarantees.
That said, it is a bit odd that we clearly went after a grad transfer because we were concerned about the current stable of QBs at the start of the spring. Most teams do NOT get a grad transfer QB and not have that kid start. That’s the Catch-22: you bring in a grad transfer and the impression you project you don’t think the current guys will be able to run the offense as well as 5th year senior. They were up front with the guy but Dawkins had to have been thinking “they would’t Bring me here if they didn’t think I would be THE guy.” However, most grad transfer guys were starters and looking for a change of scenery. Dawkins was not a starter last year. As opposed to, say, a high profile guy like Michigan’s transfer from Ole Miss.
Dawkins likely was even behind Penix.
The bottom line is that Dawkins came in and fell to #3 on the depth chart.

Penix red shirt is.....well, you can remove that right now. Kid will play.
But, we just got very thin at a vulnerable spot.

The recent developments have me a bit discouraged before the season even starts. Ellison and Dawkins. I’ve joked before about IU football being cursed but.....damn, we don’t catch many breaks. Oh well, guess we need to go out and win in spite of all of that.
If we have bad luck at that spot (as is the case for IU football) we may just be looking at Johnny Pabst starting by mid season, depending of course on the use of Reese Taylor.
You mentioned Dawkins fell to #3 on depth chart. I never saw an official chart released with his name on it, did you.

You mentioned Dawkins fell to #3 on depth chart. I never saw an official chart released with his name on it, did you.

While small sample size and anecdotal, reports from one of the scrimmages indicated, that Penix looked good, but a little consistent, whereas Dawkins looked completely lost. Also, I think coaches seemed to mention/praise Penix more in interviews than Dawkins

Reactions: 76-1
He was told he would be given the opportunity to “compete” for the job, no promises, he said the same in interviews. He was the 3rd best quarterback in camp, whether you like it or not, it’s that simple.
Based on what I’ve heard, I think it’s fair to say that both sides didn’t get what they thought they were going to get. That’s not an indictment of anyone’s character but rather an observation of how expectations and perceptions (his and the coaches) can be out of line with reality.

Why would CTA bring him in and then not give him a fair shot?
That’s crazy talk,the bottom line is he didn’t earn it in practice and he quit obviously thinking he should have been handed the job sight unseen.
Congrats to Ramsay for working hard and earning the starters role.
If he can stay healthy I think he’s up to the task,just my opinion.
I agree. I feel if Dawkins has bolted so easily that he would have not been the type of leader we need on the field. He would of played and as injuries always occur may have eared that starter spot. Not sure what his options would be at this point. Does he have the option to transfer as a grad and try another program next year? Not sure if that is an option.

Reactions: CC Mac
I don’t think Arizona schedule had Penn State, Michigan St., Michigan and Ohio State.

Multiple reporting. What a distraction. For the best I think.
I have to know more before I comment. We lose Ellison and Dawkins within 10 days of the season starting? There may be different reasons, but what is going on? We find more ways to screw up a roster.

Yay for Penix. I assume the redshirt will come off unless they can manage to keep on with the new rules and Ramsey can play every game. Who is #3?

I have to know more before I comment. We lose Ellison and Dawkins within 10 days of the season starting? There may be different reasons, but what is going on? We find more ways to screw up a roster.

Yay for Penix. I assume the redshirt will come off unless they can manage to keep on with the new rules and Ramsey can play every game. Who is #3?

Reese Taylor is being moved to QB

My guess: Reece Taylor

They’re FAR superior to IU. And he started games there.

And that is what has me intrigued...He started for Arizona and we have at least one quarterback (and possibly 2 quarterbacks) deemed better than him. Says a lot about expectations from our quarterbacks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT