ADVERTISEMENT

Dawkins Gone

If you can't be above average in the pass game you have no chance. The OL will determine this season. If we have a good run game the pass game will flourish. Ramsey was 65% percent completion in his 1st year with a below average OL.

If you can't be above average in the pass game you have no chance. The OL will determine this season. If we have a good run game the pass game will flourish. Ramsey was 65% percent completion in his 1st year with a below average OL.

Ramsey could be done after the first snap.

Reactions: IUgradman
Think this is the time for a deep breath and focus on what we still have vs. what we don't. Ellison was very disappointing, but as been pointed out, if you take away 2 big games, he wasn't the model of absolute consistency last season. But of course I wanted to see what he could do and hated to see a young man mess up like that. But we do have about 4-5 deep here of players who many think can step up immediately.

Per QB, I personally believe Ramsey won the job straight up, as it's not like he didn't also go thru the S&C program, watch a ton of film and is now in his third year in the program. He's a smart, tough kid and I think he will do well.

Penix has tremendous credentials, is a great athlete and went thru spring practice. Ideally no freshman should have to start anyway, but I'm ok with him in #2 spot now and in a perfect world he may only "need" to play in 4 games and can preserve the redshirt year.

I too share the view that Reese Taylor could fill in as well if needed. He's a talented guy and in college FB a tremendous athlete probably can still pull it off at 5'10 or '11.

Someone has said one of the back up walk on QB's is actually a pretty good player. No idea, but we may find out if he somehow gets some snaps ahead.

Bottom line: Ellison was injured much of last season and Penix didn't ever take a snap. Take those two out and this is still the same team that has all grown stronger/faster and a year older. It's a bummer that it's all hitting now, but I don't see how or why this has to mean the end of anything or a death blow to the team.

If anything, those remaining may end up being stronger/closer, as they are the ones who are truly living by the #LEO credo, not getting into trouble or quitting/leaving the team over playing time concerns (or dare I say ego?)

Go get the first win next weekend and move forward! Go IU

I bet it was Dawkins "or" Penix
If it's true, that's too bad from a depth perspective.

OTOH, if the kid wanted to come in here and be handed something he hadn't earned on the field he wasn't really much of a competitor or a team player in the first place. The only mistake by the coaching staff was in recruiting him in the first place. His decision (if it was completely based on not being named the starter) means he's unfit to lead a team and much more of a liability than an asset, especially at his position. He should have chosen a school where he was promised he would be the starter no matter what.

If a kid transfers because he's told he has to earn his minutes, good riddance. Next man up.

I'll just repeat what I said a couple of days ago when rumors first surfaced about his leaving...he came here to start. Nothing wrong with that but I think perceptions of IU that said we didn't have the talent may have given him the wrong idea before he got here. Truth is Ive always said Ramsey would start. It was logical. But Dawkins might have been a nice wild card. Still he may have been better off looking at DII if he wanted a sure thing start.

Now, is any of this confirmed for sure...no fake news here...is Fox involved? vbg

If true, a real loss. Want to see him on the field, maybe not as QB, but playing a lot of downs. Maybe the coaches did ask him to switch and that was the final straw as they say. I don't know. Its too bad in any case. Now were short...shades of Wilsons QB stable disappearing in less than 2 seasons too. Ugh...

Reactions: vesuvius13
How do you know that he was not given a fair shot? Were you at every practice?

The key word there is practice. The guy may have been terrible, I have no idea. The defense would have to account for him a lot more than Ramsey, guys would have been more open if he even had to throw it. Would have liked to see him against real competition and not scrimmage when they are not full speed and everyone knows what's up. Anyway it's a real bad look going forward regardless. This was a guy that was being talked about a lot in the media.

The key word there is practice. The guy may have been terrible, I have no idea. The defense would have to account for him a lot more than Ramsey, guys would have been more open if he even had to throw it. Would have liked to see him against real competition and not scrimmage when they are not full speed and everyone knows what's up. Anyway it's a real bad look going forward regardless. This was a guy that was being talked about a lot in the media.
Says much more about him, he knew coming in there were no guarantees, he said he just wanted to do whatever he could to help the team, guess not so much.

Well you could not give him reps in the game since he did not make it to game one . Not sure if he really did quit that he is kid you want leading your team if he quits without even trying to continue to compete. I am disappointed because I thought he was of higher character than that. Guess you can’t tell by interviews alone. I do hope it is not true.

They knew exactly what he was when they recruited him. Why waste his time if he is not going to be given a fair shot? I don't see us getting another grad transfer qb.

A fair shot? Pretty sure the kid had much more than a fair shot. Reality is the coach has to choose who he thinks will help us win the most. In his opinion (and it sounds like the other coaches and player voted opinions), Ramsey won out in a landslide. So the people who are the closest and most involved are all saying the same thing.

To me, this kid came in with his mindset that he is going to start or he won't be here. In no way has his actions shown him to be a team player. He has the right to be as selfish as he wants, but we have the right to judge him for it. ADIOS!

Meh. If he coulnd't beat out Ramsey then he's clearly not as good as advertised. I like Peyton, and I'm fine with him starting. Dawkins clearly thought he'd be handed the starters job, and when he didn't cut it, he bolted.

Would have loved for him to stick around because it's a nice insurance policy, but Penix sounds to be as good or better than Dawkins. Now we just need some good favor with the football gods.

Meh. If he coulnd't beat out Ramsey then he's clearly not as good as advertised. I like Peyton, and I'm fine with him starting. Dawkins clearly thought he'd be handed the starters job, and when he didn't cut it, he bolted.

Would have loved for him to stick around because it's a nice insurance policy, but Penix sounds to be as good or better than Dawkins. Now we just need some good favor with the football gods.

I agree. Of course having additional depth is always better and its the reason we are sour for his lame decision to leave. With that said, I still think this season is a transition year so why not get the young guys more reps? These are our 2 horses for the next 2 years+. The locker room is no worse off today than they were last week. NEXT!

So onto the real news, it's GAME WEEK BOYS!!! Let's kick tail in FL.

Just sucks that we can’t get Penix in early games to see what he can do without running the risk of burning red shirt

A fair shot? Pretty sure the kid had much more than a fair shot. Reality is the coach has to choose who he thinks will help us win the most. In his opinion (and it sounds like the other coaches and player voted opinions), Ramsey won out in a landslide. So the people who are the closest and most involved are all saying the same thing.

To me, this kid came in with his mindset that he is going to start or he won't be here. In no way has his actions shown him to be a team player. He has the right to be as selfish as he wants, but we have the right to judge him for it. ADIOS!

I'm not down on Ramsey and I thought he would start. Dawkins could have been kept around. If he didn't want to share time at all I guess see ya but could have at least gave him some time in game 1.

I agree. Of course having additional depth is always better and its the reason we are sour for his lame decision to leave. With that said, I still think this season is a transition year so why not get the young guys more reps? These are our 2 horses for the next 2 years+. The locker room is no worse off today than they were last week. NEXT!

So onto the real news, it's GAME WEEK BOYS!!! Let's kick tail in FL.
I’m all in can’t wait to go see the 2018 Hoosiers.

Why would CTA bring him in and then not give him a fair shot?
That’s crazy talk,the bottom line is he didn’t earn it in practice and he quit obviously thinking he should have been handed the job sight unseen.
Congrats to Ramsay for working hard and earning the starters role.
If he can stay healthy I think he’s up to the task,just my opinion.

This is a disaster. So much for any chance of Penix redshirting. Let’s hope he’s ready day 1.

There’s obviously a lot more to this story than anyone is saying. I hope it comes out one day.

This is a disaster. So much for any chance of Penix redshirting. Let’s hope he’s ready day 1.

There’s obviously a lot more to this story than anyone is saying. I hope it comes out one day.

I'd say the only thing more, is Dawkins is pissed he wasn't handed the starters job even though he couldn't hold on to the football.

Again, this is a big MEH.

I love these folks who think a guy that couldn't start for Arizona is just going to walk in and start for IU. Also that our coaches should just hand him the job. He looks like a great runner on tape but he isn't an accurate passer at all. If the strength this year is supposed to be running the ball why would we play a guy who will guarantee 8 in the box.

Why do you say stuff like this? Why can't this be as simple as a 22 year-old with a college degree not wanting to be a backup player?

Go ahead with your conspiracy theory, though. I'm sure it will be entertaining.

Another year... another train wreck... another chapter in IU Football! Quiting... suspensions... distractions... failures. "Are You A Narcissist?" or "Are You Just Plain Stupid?" tests should been given to all incoming athletes before they are offered a scolly. Leaves everyone hanging less than a week before the first game. Here's an idea: If you're planning on being a narcissist or planning on being stupid, please do that in April.

Reactions: IUgradman
Meh. If he coulnd't beat out Ramsey then he's clearly not as good as advertised.

At the end of the day...this part of your quote is spot on. Yes, I'd love to have him as part of this team. Depth, experience, etc. And maybe it was some matter of being unable to learn the playbook fast enough to get the job from the first game and he really has the chops to be the leader here...but we'll never know. He quit.

Next up.

Why do you say stuff like this? Why can't this be as simple as a 22 year-old with a college degree not wanting to be a backup player?

Go ahead with your conspiracy theory, though. I'm sure it will be entertaining.
I’m not saying it’s a conspiracy theory, but clearly something was miscommunicated here. Or expectations weren’t met.

I love these folks who think a guy that couldn't start for Arizona is just going to walk in and start for IU. Also that our coaches should just hand him the job. He looks like a great runner on tape but he isn't an accurate passer at all. If the strength this year is supposed to be running the ball why would we play a guy who will guarantee 8 in the box.

Just to be clear, I never said he should be handed the job. His style and what Allen wants from a QB are obviously different. Which begs the question.......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT