ADVERTISEMENT

Dawkins Gone

I said at the time he was being recruited that I hoped he went somewhere else. We lost Tronti and Dawkins was never going to be what they wanted him to be.

I think Tronti's decision to leave had more to do with Penix surpassing him in the spring, than Dawkins' transfer. Dawkins' transfer probably pushed the decision over the edge, but I suspect that even without Dawkins, there was probably less than a 10% chance that Tronti would still be here

Reactions: IUgradman
I think Tronti's decision to leave had more to do with Penix surpassing him in the spring, than Dawkins' transfer. Dawkins' transfer probably pushed the decision over the edge, but I suspect that even without Dawkins, there was probably less than a 10% chance that Tronti would still be here

I guess we will never know. My whole poi t in all this is Dawkins was always going to be a run around behind the line and maybe take off, maybe throw a long TD, or a pick. Allen slammed the door hard on him a week before the season and more or less said you are not playing QB here. We might run some packages. Hope it works out but if it doesn't stay rubber side up he will have to own it.

The statement was made that U of A would struggle in the BiG 10 East. Purdue played and beat both teams.

So, to summarize.....you respond earlier "Ask Purdue" in response to something where no query was even posed.

I then ask you what we are supposed to ask Purdue, and *this* is your response? A statement someone else said, and an irrelevant and already known fact from 2017?

That's a very strong contribution for you on this message board; might wanna grab some bench and sit out for a while.

Reactions: dahldc
So, to summarize.....you respond earlier "Ask Purdue" in response to something where no query was even posed.

I then ask you what we are supposed to ask Purdue, and *this* is your response? A statement someone else said, and an irrelevant and already known fact from 2017?

That's a very strong contribution for you on this message board; might wanna grab some bench and sit out for a while.
A comment was made about U of A struggling to compete in the BiG 10 East, where IU plays. I merely pointed out Purdue as a common opponent of (and victor over) both teams. It shouldn’t have been such a difficult thing for you to comprehend.

BiG 10 East
If you're going to continue to post about IU and the conference, there's something you should know. The abbreviation/logo for the conference is not "BiG 10," which you repeatedly reference. It's "B1G." The second character is the number 1. Kind of looks like B10. And the division we're in is the B1G East. Of course, "Big Ten" and "Big Ten East" still work if you want to fully spell them out, but alternating upper case with lower case letters is simply wrong. In other words, it's not "BiG."
P.S. Glad to see, too, that you're finally spelling our starting QB's name correctly as "Ramsey" instead of "Ramsay."

A comment was made about U of A struggling to compete in the BiG 10 East, where IU plays. I merely pointed out Purdue as a common opponent of (and victor over) both teams. It shouldn’t have been such a difficult thing for you to comprehend.

Dude, it makes no sense. Purdue did beat both teams last year. Purdue lost to Rutgers, who we pounded. How does this common opponent thing tie into your claims that Arizona is vastly superior than IU? I’m not following here this circular logic.
Relax....and look forward, not back.

Dude, it makes no sense. Purdue did beat both teams last year. Purdue lost to Rutgers, who we pounded. How does this common opponent thing tie into your claims that Arizona is vastly superior than IU? I’m not following here this circular logic.
Relax....and look forward, not back.
Dude, where did I claim Arizona was “vastly superior to IU”? Please show me that post.

This is more a reflection on Dawkins than our staff. It was very clear from the start that the message to Dawkins was to come here and “compete” for a starting spot. No guarantees.
That said, it is a bit odd that we clearly went after a grad transfer because we were concerned about the current stable of QBs at the start of the spring. Most teams do NOT get a grad transfer QB and not have that kid start. That’s the Catch-22: you bring in a grad transfer and the impression you project you don’t think the current guys will be able to run the offense as well as 5th year senior. They were up front with the guy but Dawkins had to have been thinking “they would’t Bring me here if they didn’t think I would be THE guy.” However, most grad transfer guys were starters and looking for a change of scenery. Dawkins was not a starter last year. As opposed to, say, a high profile guy like Michigan’s transfer from Ole Miss.
Dawkins likely was even behind Penix.
The bottom line is that Dawkins came in and fell to #3 on the depth chart.

Penix red shirt is.....well, you can remove that right now. Kid will play.
But, we just got very thin at a vulnerable spot.

The recent developments have me a bit discouraged before the season even starts. Ellison and Dawkins. I’ve joked before about IU football being cursed but.....damn, we don’t catch many breaks. Oh well, guess we need to go out and win in spite of all of that.
If we have bad luck at that spot (as is the case for IU football) we may just be looking at Johnny Pabst starting by mid season, depending of course on the use of Reese Taylor.

All that was missing was a mention of Finite math.... we do seem to find ourselves on this side more times than not....

I have to know more before I comment. We lose Ellison and Dawkins within 10 days of the season starting? There may be different reasons, but what is going on? We find more ways to screw up a roster.

Yay for Penix. I assume the redshirt will come off unless they can manage to keep on with the new rules and Ramsey can play every game. Who is #3?
My thought on redshirt. Play Ramsey as long as you can. Hopefully until the last 4 games. Then play Penix as much as you can for experience. This keeps redshirt still in play.

Reactions: Upset Alert
My thought on redshirt. Play Ramsey as long as you can. Hopefully until the last 4 games. Then play Penix as much as you can for experience. This keeps redshirt still in play.
You play whomever gives you the best chance to win. You don’t take a single chance of losing one more game for the hope of having a QB in 5 years. A lot can happen between now and then.

I think you have to get your #2 guy ready and play him without concern over his redshirt status. If there’s even a chance you’ll need him, you have to get him on the field.

If you're going to continue to post about IU and the conference, there's something you should know. The abbreviation/logo for the conference is not "BiG 10," which you repeatedly reference. It's "B1G." The second character is the number 1. Kind of looks like B10. And the division we're in is the B1G East. Of course, "Big Ten" and "Big Ten East" still work if you want to fully spell them out, but alternating upper case with lower case letters is simply wrong. In other words, it's not "BiG."
P.S. Glad to see, too, that you're finally spelling our starting QB's name correctly as "Ramsey" instead of "Ramsay."
Ummm...errrr...just between me and you...I HATE that logo. I know I know...get over it....I tried...but I cant..I just cant. Sooooo I keep writing B10 for pure subborness...no offense intended to anyone or IU. The Big 10 well that's another subject...vbg

Reactions: mobilehoosier
Ummm...errrr...just between me and you...I HATE that logo. I know I know...get over it....I tried...but I cant..I just cant. Sooooo I keep writing B10 for pure subborness...no offense intended to anyone or IU. The Big 10 well that's another subject...vbg
Reminds me a bit of Leaders and Legends except that B1G is completely meaningless whereas L&L was just stupid.

"Far" superior...my God. Come down off the ledge, the sky isn't falling because a grad transfer quit.

If Arizona played in the B1G east, I doubt their record would be any better than ours.

That’s fbaugh for you. Always a worst case slam on IU. Par for his course.

That’s fbaugh for you. Always a worst case slam on IU. Par for his course.
Their wins since Rich Rod has been there:
8, 8, 10, 7, 3, 7

Our wins the last 6 years:
4, 5, 4, 6, 6, 5

Would you say one is superior to the other? I mean come on...there are crimson glasses and then there’s just being unreasonable.

Reactions: 82hoosier
If it's true, that's too bad from a depth perspective.

OTOH, if the kid wanted to come in here and be handed something he hadn't earned on the field he wasn't really much of a competitor or a team player in the first place. The only mistake by the coaching staff was in recruiting him in the first place. His decision (if it was completely based on not being named the starter) means he's unfit to lead a team and much more of a liability than an asset, especially at his position. He should have chosen a school where he was promised he would be the starter no matter what.

If a kid transfers because he's told he has to earn his minutes, good riddance. Next man up.

I gotta be honest I don't like anything about it...Wow...That just baffles me. While I don't know the details you talk about leaving a team hanging. We are a couple injuries away from being f-cked.
I don't think it makes any difference whatsoever. Dude can't throw. Never could, that's why he was benched at Arizona. Really don't know why we accepted his transfer, to be honest. Perhaps there was a thought that something in his delivery could be tweaked, idk, but his arm is worse than Ramsey's, which unfortunately, is saying something. Losing Ellison hurts. This doesn't. As far as I'm concerned, we're better off with Reese Taylor at #3. At least he might have potential, & he can certainly execute any running packages as well as Dawkins could have, imo anyway.

Last edited:
Meh. If he coulnd't beat out Ramsey then he's clearly not as good as advertised. I like Peyton, and I'm fine with him starting. Dawkins clearly thought he'd be handed the starters job, and when he didn't cut it, he bolted.

Would have loved for him to stick around because it's a nice insurance policy, but Penix sounds to be as good or better than Dawkins. Now we just need some good favor with the football gods.
This is where I'm confused: when/where was he advertised to be anything more than what he is? That's a serious question, because as soon as he was announced as transferring here, I watched many games of his on youtube(as any self respecting 21st century IUFB fan should)& immediately noticed that Dawkins has a terrible arm. So, my expectations all along have been for Dawkins to perhaps run a limited run based package as a change of pace QB. If that. This news is a footnote at best. Sorry to be so..harsh, snarky even, but there's no reason people should have had higher expectations of Dawkins. Well, not a good reason, anyway.

Reminds me a bit of Leaders and Legends except that B1G is completely meaningless whereas L&L was just stupid.
I don't know...every time I see that new logo I read it as PIG...not B1G...you know, old eyes and all...vbg. Man I hated that POS the first time I saw it. How far we've fallen in everything but revenue!

Another year... another train wreck... another chapter in IU Football! Quiting... suspensions... distractions... failures. "Are You A Narcissist?" or "Are You Just Plain Stupid?" tests should been given to all incoming athletes before they are offered a scolly. Leaves everyone hanging less than a week before the first game. Here's an idea: If you're planning on being a narcissist or planning on being stupid, please do that in April.
GYDU!

My apologies....that was from your minion fpeaugh. I confuse the two of you sometimes.

Fpeaugh brings knowledgeable balance to the board without the trolling, personal attacks and lies. He has actually been on campus and wants IU to get better. He has not been banned 30 times and lie about even that. There is no confusion.

You play whomever gives you the best chance to win. You don’t take a single chance of losing one more game for the hope of having a QB in 5 years. A lot can happen between now and then.
I agree. By "as long as you can" I also meant winning not just injury.

The young man got some bad advice.or maybe IU staff oversold him. Regardless, Dawlins thought he could come to Bloomington and start and that wasn't the case.

He wants to play and there are a lot of places he can go and do just that. I don't blame him.

Reactions: fpeaugh
I think you have to get your #2 guy ready and play him without concern over his redshirt status. If there’s even a chance you’ll need him, you have to get him on the field.
Yes will need to get Penix some real time game reps early on in order for him to have some degree of comfort if called upon due to injury. He is our #2 and needs to be ready roll.

Reactions: Larryismyname

Thanks for confirming that your contribution was completely pointless, and leaving zero doubt to anyone that your mind operates at a third grade level.

Here's another fact that is around your level, that's just as relevant to this discussion: The names Arizona and Purdue both contain an 'r'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Indianaftw
Thanks for confirming that your contribution was completely pointless, and leaving zero doubt to anyone that your mind operates at a third grade level.

Here's another fact that is around your level, that's just as relevant to this discussion: The names Arizona and Purdue both contain an 'r'.
Hahahahaha LMAO...Thanks for a great morning laugh :)

I’m sorry it was beyond your comprehension and I’ll keep that in mind for future posts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT