ADVERTISEMENT

David Ellis - 3 star ATH from MI, commits

We're going to be LOADED at RB. & to think how worried some were when Gest went down. Fortunes have turned North, big time. Even if Ivory Winters decomms, no worries. None whatsoever.

We're going to be LOADED at RB. & to think how worried some were when Gest went down. Fortunes have turned North, big time. Even if Ivory Winters decomms, no worries. None whatsoever.
Any chance Winters, Nelson or Pechac could find something else to do?

My daughter is a sophomore at Chippewa Valley and I’ve been to four of their games this year. Chip is in the biggest division and is currently undefeated and ranked second in the state behind Cass Tech. The Big Red are led by linebacker Marcel Lewis, a Michigan State commit.

Ellis is a very good athlete. I could see him playing corner or a slot receiver. Could be a really good return guy too. Solid pickup for the Hoosiers.

My daughter is a sophomore at Chippewa Valley and I’ve been to four of their games this year. Chip is in the biggest division and is currently undefeated and ranked second in the state behind Cass Tech. The Big Red are led by linebacker Marcel Lewis, a Michigan State commit.

Ellis is a very good athlete. I could see him playing corner or a slot receiver. Could be a really good return guy too. Solid pickup for the Hoosiers.
Maybe we can flip Mr. Lewis also.

Maybe we can flip Mr. Lewis also.

I know IU offered Lewis but from what I have heard he was waiting on that Michigan State offer and jumped on it once they did.

I really like Chip’s quarterback, Tommy Schuster. He’s a bit undersized but very accurate. He’s being recruited by the Ivy League schools.

Reactions: crossfire74

Just watched his tape...Kid is a baller. Speed and violent runner as a WR. Lines up at safety and has a nose for the ball and a good tackler. Also a punt returner. Got another real good one

Reactions: Sassy61
you heard Winters is thinking of decom?

There was a brief mention, at the bottom of an article about Sampson, that Winters had been on a visit to Arkansas that same weekend. I haven't seen anything credible that he's about to decommit, but he's obviously still taking visits.

He just visited Arkansas. Again, the 2nd time since he's committed here, & they just offered him too. So, it's not written in stone, but the tea leaves are whispering.

He just visited Arkansas. Again, the 2nd time since he's committed here, & they just offered him too. So, it's not written in stone, but the tea leaves are whispering.
They offered him in July, and everything I’ve heard says he is still solid to IU. That said, it is recruiting, signing day is still a couple months away, so you never know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1
They offered him in July, and everything I’ve heard says he is still solid to IU. That said, it is recruiting, signing day is still a couple months away, so you never know.
Idk, visiting, getting offered, & visiting again suggests mutual interest, imo, but again, I'm not concerned. James will stick with us, he won't flip again, & David Ellis is versatile but the initial intent from what I understand is for him to play RB, slot receiver, KR/PR. So, we're suddenly stacked in the backfield, with James(presumably), Gest will be back, Ellison may be back(I think he will), Stevie Scott, Ronnie Walker, & that's not everyone. So, I'm not real concerned if Winters bolts, not that I want him to, but we have bigger needs than RB with that schollie.

Reactions: ulrey
Idk, visiting, getting offered, & visiting again suggests mutual interest, imo, but again, I'm not concerned. James will stick with us, he won't flip again, & David Ellis is versatile but the initial intent from what I understand is for him to play RB, slot receiver, KR/PR. So, we're suddenly stacked in the backfield, with James(presumably), Gest will be back, Ellison may be back(I think he will), Stevie Scott, Ronnie Walker, & that's not everyone. So, I'm not real concerned if Winters bolts, not that I want him to, but we have bigger needs than RB with that schollie.
we need to keep winters

Reactions: IUPACERHORSE
I hate saying it but I don't think Gest can stay healthy

we need to keep winters
Why? I like him, I think he has good potential & he's the type of back our staff likes, but at this point, I don't think we need him. Want maybe, & I'd prefer to keep him for the overall class & it's always good to have quality athletes, but at his position, it's going to get crowded.

Looking as an outsider I wholeheartedly agree. He is one of IU's top recruits. Kicking him to the curb at this point seems premature.
No one's kicking him to the curb, the speculation is that there might be interest between he & Arkansas. Well, clearly there is, it's just a matter of what he'll do. Remember, until signing day, all a commitment means is that someone is in the lead.

Reactions: 82hoosier
Like Stevie Scott's recruitment it appears anyone recruited as a running back could find themselves playing D too. I hope they all stay and find a spot on the field. We need the speed and talent at every position.
Go Hoosiers!
Amen to that, there are some big, strong athletes in this class, including Winters. We can use him & all of them somewhere, for sure.

Worst case scenario, we land him and he becomes an All Big Ten LB!! I'd take that in a heartbeat. I hope he comes here, he's a damn good athlete.

Reactions: TominDallas
I hope we soon are able to see a Running Back rotation that employs 3 Backs with the starter getting 25 carries a game, the next guy getting 11, and the third guy getting 7...That would keep everybody (in theory) fresh, ready and happy and the starter would get his stats without burning himself out..., while 3 guys would be able to put themselves on NFL scout pool game tape...

Those numbers are based on an average of our having at least 77 snaps per game, with the QB throwing it 27 times a game..., and running it about 7 times a game...

I still hope Winters decides to stick with us...

Last edited:
Why? I like him, I think he has good potential & he's the type of back our staff likes, but at this point, I don't think we need him. Want maybe, & I'd prefer to keep him for the overall class & it's always good to have quality athletes, but at his position, it's going to get crowded.
cause he's real good

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT