ADVERTISEMENT

Darren Hiller is still employed.

I don’t care if he watches.

he needs to stop posting and bothering other people with his 4th grade wisdom.
He may be a troll, but he is right. OC and offensive line were equally bad this year. I know it was put out that there is no room in the budget for more buy outs, but I'm not buying that. I think CTA and Hiller are very good friends and he is giving him another year to turn it around on the line. If Hiller is still employed after this debacle of a season you have to ask yourself if CTA can make the hard choices.

I sat through 3 and half quarters of the OSU game in the rain. The O-line was/is bad.

I want Hiller gone as much as anyone, but at this point it should be pretty clear CTA isn't firing him until after he hires a new OC, and the new OC will get to bring in his own guy to coach the O-line, complaining about it every other day isn't going to change anything. It's just a strategic move to try and keep all three of our O-linemen until signing day.

He may be a troll, but he is right. OC and offensive line were equally bad this year. I know it was put out that there is no room in the budget for more buy outs, but I'm not buying that. I think CTA and Hiller are very good friends and he is giving him another year to turn it around on the line. If Hiller is still employed after this debacle of a season you have to ask yourself if CTA can make the hard choices.

I sat through 3 and half quarters of the OSU game in the rain. The O-line was/is bad.
Any offensive coordinator worth anything is going to want to make their own decisions about all the position coaches on their side of the ball once they take the job, whether to retain staff members or to bring in some new blood themselves. That is why he is still employed.

I looked into this today. I was surprised to learn that the BTN/Big Ten payout in 2021 (ie for the 2020 year) was still over $50 million,

Donations and ticket sales and NCAA hoops tourney money must be the issue.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Can't help but wonder if AD Dolson communicated to Tom that he would have to pay off Hiller's contract, a la Sheridan?

If I'm correct, Dolson is a basketball man through and through. A football man would find the $$$ to hire a better line coach.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I think I'm probably correct.

I want Hiller gone as much as anyone, but at this point it should be pretty clear CTA isn't firing him until after he hires a new OC, and the new OC will get to bring in his own guy to coach the O-line, complaining about it every other day isn't going to change anything. It's just a strategic move to try and keep all three of our O-linemen until signing day.
Solid point!

Can't help but wonder if AD Dolson communicated to Tom that he would have to pay off Hiller's contract, a la Sheridan?

If I'm correct, Dolson is a basketball man through and through. A football man would find the $$$ to hire a better line coach.

easier said than done, especially if boosters are not willing to pay for football staff like they do for basketball.

Could be but I have to assume it's wholly about finding a new OC and letting him make choices on hiring/firing on his side of the ball. Like, I can't imagine they'd can the OL coach & hire another before hiring a replacement OC and giving him a chance to weigh in.

The other question is are the assistants like Hiller even on multi-year contracts with significant buyouts? I always assumed the contracts got less & less coach-favorable the further down the ladder you went.

Seriously, what is your problem? Assuming you’re a troll, you’re not even a good one.
It’s pretty easy to understand his problem, that being Hiller is still employed and Allen hasn’t made any other changes.

It’s pretty easy to understand his problem, that being Hiller is still employed and Allen hasn’t made any other changes.
Do you not understand what a coordinator's job is? They are the head of the offense, they decide which offensive assistants stay and go, outside of DMC, whose locked in as Associate HC, the new OC will be the one who decides the fate of every other offensive staff member. I said after Iowa that I wanted Hiller gone, I still do but firing him now is pointless, it's just a slightly larger buyout and puts you at more risk to lose your O-line class. His job will be decided by the new OC, and odds are overwhelming he will be let go by whoever Allen brings in. If Hiller is still on staff at the end of spring camp, then we can start to panic, but if you're complaining about Hiller being on staff before CTA brings in a new OC, you clearly have no idea how a college coaching staff should be run.

Which leads me to believe that Tom Allen isn’t very serious about winning.
I think HC Tom Allen may not have the wherewithal to make the changes necessary. Apparently Allen can not assess how terrible was our offensive line this season. I won a wager after attending home game versus Idaho- I wagered we’d not win a conference game and got 4:1 odds- we couldn’t budge even Vandals off the LOS- it’s amazing how bad we were

Any offensive coordinator worth anything is going to want to make their own decisions about all the position coaches on their side of the ball once they take the job, whether to retain staff members or to bring in some new blood themselves. That is why he is still employed.
Bingo.

Do you not understand what a coordinator's job is? They are the head of the offense, they decide which offensive assistants stay and go, outside of DMC, whose locked in as Associate HC, the new OC will be the one who decides the fate of every other offensive staff member. I said after Iowa that I wanted Hiller gone, I still do but firing him now is pointless, it's just a slightly larger buyout and puts you at more risk to lose your O-line class. His job will be decided by the new OC, and odds are overwhelming he will be let go by whoever Allen brings in. If Hiller is still on staff at the end of spring camp, then we can start to panic, but if you're complaining about Hiller being on staff before CTA brings in a new OC, you clearly have no idea how a college coaching staff should be run.

If OCs were truly allowed to decide which assistants stay and go, I feel it’s pretty likely that Grubb would’ve accompanied DeBoer to Bloomington to be the new OL coach.

I’m personally leaning toward Occam’s Razor as the most plausible explanation on this one—the current OL coach was given a new contract that IU now cannot afford to buy out.

At least, not without some “outside help”

Last edited:
I was explaining why the other poster was upset. IU football right now is a dumpster fire and you’re not helping one bit!

• Wow
Reactions: IUHartselCol
I was explaining why the other poster was upset. IU football right now is a dumpster fire and you’re not helping one bit!
When people make nonsensical arguments they need to be called out on it, not defended for it. Hiller being on staff until CTA finds an OC is not a problem, and may in fact help IU sign their best O-line class ever. There should be no complaints about Hiller not being fired until after a new OC is brought in, end of discussion.

Last edited:
When people make nonsensical arguments they need to be called out on it, not defended for it. Hiller being on staff until CTA finds an OC is not a problem, and may in fact help IU sign their best O-line class ever. There should be no complaints until about Hiller not being fired until after a new OC is brought in, end of discussion.
What people are you talking about? You have a reading comprehension problem!

What people are you talking about? You have a reading comprehension problem!
Lol, the guy who started this thread obviously wants Hiller fired immediately, how did you not understand that, you literally liked his original post.

Last edited:
Lol, the guy who started this thread obviously wants Hiller fired immediately, how did you not understand that, you literally liked his original post.
Under your avatar it says benchwarmer, I suggest you go back to the end of the bench! Little Feller.

Under your avatar it says benchwarmer, I suggest you go back to the end of the bench! Little Feller.
When you don't have a comeback because you know you are totally wrong so you completely change the subject and brag about how long you've been on rivals lol. Just take the L man.

Tom Allen comes off as an aggressive man, but he isn’t aggressive about winning. He’s a good guy version of Bobby Petrino. He just hires friends and family. The difference is that Petrino got fired after a 2-10 season. And that was after winning bowl games and developing a Heisman Trophy winner. Even Louisville cares more about football than Indiana.

Reactions: Lucy01
Tom Allen comes off as an aggressive man, but he isn’t aggressive about winning. He’s a good guy version of Bobby Petrino. He just hires friends and family. The difference is that Petrino got fired after a 2-10 season. And that was after winning bowl games and developing a Heisman Trophy winner. Even Louisville cares more about football than Indiana.
At this point, everyone thinks you're a joke, just stop talking.

Just go away. Your trolling (or just flat stupidity) grew old a long time ago.

Wow. Lucy to the rescue with “I know what you are so what am I?”

Your next contribution to a discussion will be your first.
Speaking of contribution, why don’t you put your money where mouth is and join the premium site.

Last edited:
You know this site is for IU FB Fans..F...A...N...S...those who support and love the program. You ARE A DUMPSTER FIRE OF A FAN. Go start your own site where you and those like you can cry into each others towels and leave the rest of us to talk at least semi-intelligently about IU FB. Why are you here?

Last edited:
Really? Because Deboer wanted to bring in his OL coach from Fresno state and Allen said no so he could keep fat ****. So I have zero idea what you are going on about. I mean, he didn't bring in one assistant. You think if he had his choice he would not have brought in any of his own guys?

Reactions: Lucy01
I am going to first allow Allen to make his OC hire (and hope it’s a good one!). Then willing to believe that new OC may get to decide his coaches (though If think McCollough is untouchable at RB.)

But I admit, if Hiller remains on staff, I have to believe Allen influences that call and I will be disappointed that he get the OL over last 5 years has been worthwhile of keeping same coach as is. I disagree clearly, but will hold judgement until a final decision is made or not.

She (I'm assuming that's Lucy's preferred pronoun) is a low IQ individual. And she's no fan - - she constantly derides IU football, and likes others who trash-talk the program.
It’s hard to be a fan with a season like IU had !

• Angry
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT