ADVERTISEMENT

Damon Bailey Final Quarter State Championship 1990 Link

40 years ago was unquestionably the greatest afternoon session in IHSAA finals history. Both games were decided with no time on the clock. New Albany defeated Andrean when Andrean missed 2 free throws. Then not to be outdone, Stacy Toran of Broad Ripple hit a 60 footer at the gun to beat Marion.

Reactions: kkott
Has anybody seen his kid play, I read he's all state is IU not pursuing him for some reason?

I remember , strange thoughts as I went to Concord and had 2 of 3 yrs my former school was undefeated in finals. Chandler Thompson in 88 and Damon . The 90 team was a better team than the 88 one with Kemp as a team anyway. Monumental coaching failure by Concord in 90

Reactions: kkott
was in the Dome watching Damon's final game...pretty cool memory. Amazing to look around and realize we were just watching a high school game.

I was there for the morning game when BNL beat my Southport Cardinals. I think we had them down around 10 at half and Bailey just took over in the 2nd half. They kept the ball in his hands constantly.

I always enjoy hearing Jerry Baker. His voice takes me back to my younger years.
We were so incredibly lucky to live during such great basketball times for IU, briefly ISU, and Indiana high schools. It is dust and ashes now except for the great memories. Who could imagine what we felt as the sectionals started and then again every weekend leading to the hallowed final four. Nothing compares. Who could imagine farmers and businesses shutting down to watch one of the great IU teams on Saturday afternoon. Nothing compares. Indiana at that time was as perfect a basketball community as can be imagined. Basketball bound the state together as a community and complete strangers had a topic of conversation of fervent mutual interest.

Last edited:
We were so incredibly lucky to live during such great basketball times for IU, briefly ISU, and Indiana high schools. It is dust and ashes now except for the great memories. Who could imagine what we felt as the sectionals started and then again every weekend leading to the hallowed final four. Nothing compares. Who could imagine farmers and businesses shutting down to watch one of the great IU teams on Saturday afternoon. Nothing compares. Indiana at that time was as perfect a basketball community as can be imagined. Basketball bound the state together as a community and complete strangers had a topic of conversation of fervent mutual interest.
Yes, back when all sizes played each other. Last man standing wins.

Why not have a 4 class tournament over Christmas- Dec21 thru Jan 8? Then Indiana high schools could have the one class tourney in March.

I was there for the morning game when BNL beat my Southport Cardinals. I think we had them down around 10 at half and Bailey just took over in the 2nd half. They kept the ball in his hands constantly.
I still remember this day....there was a late season snowstorm that caused me to miss the morning sessions. Made it to the final that night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT