ADVERTISEMENT

Cupps jump shot has fallen and it can’t get up.

How did Cupps ever win Ohio Mr Basketball with such weak offensive skills? Yeah, he’s a freshman but his shooting form is totally broken.

Missing short seems like tired legs. Makes me wonder about sleep habits, what time practice is, workout intensity in the days before the games, nutrition, etc. Stuff we’ll never hear about but has a pretty huge impact on athletic performance.

Missing short seems like tired legs. Makes me wonder about sleep habits, what time practice is, workout intensity in the days before the games, nutrition, etc. Stuff we’ll never hear about but has a pretty huge impact on athletic performance.
I see him fading to the side when he shoots off the bounce which he loves to do for some reason. That fading to the side shot is rarely going to fall.

I see him fading to the side when he shoots off the bounce which he loves to do for some reason. That fading to the side shot is rarely going to fall.
One thing that we can believe is that Cupps will fix this problem. He's a very smart player and the son of a great high school coach. I'd bet that next year his percentages will be much, much better.

One thing that we can believe is that Cupps will fix this problem. He's a very smart player and the son of a great high school coach. I'd bet that next year his percentages will be much, much better.
To be fair, I think this exact post was made about Galloway. He is one of the worst shooting guards in the country. I actually wonder if there is any starting 2 guard in power five that has close to as bad as his %, both 3 and FT.

To be fair, I think this exact post was made about Galloway. He is one of the worst shooting guards in the country. I actually wonder if there is any starting 2 guard in power five that has close to as bad as his %, both 3 and FT.
Maybe. No doubt Trey's FT and 3PT shooting percentages are not good this year. He's shooting 47 percent overall and playing good defense. He has the most assists on the team, and I believe his A/TO ratio is also the best on the team. Without him, our record isn't as good as it is.

Cupps is a good freshman thown into the fire. He's tough, and shows more leadership on the floor than most of the other players. That's his thing. Saw him play at Centerville and he's tough as nails.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
Maybe. No doubt Trey's FT and 3PT shooting percentages are not good this year. He's shooting 47 percent overall and playing good defense. He has the most assists on the team, and I believe his A/TO ratio is also the best on the team. Without him, our record isn't as good as it is.
Not arguing that. What I am arguing is he is a horrendous shooter, something our team severely lacks.

Galloway got rid of his hitch in his jumper. With good results.
Cupps can eliminate his fade. But he has to commit to it. It is very correctable and would provide significant improvement.
Unfortunately, it’s more than the fade. His shot is way too flat. Same on the free throws. I’m sure he will put in the work. But that can take 1000s of shots to fix.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Galloway got rid of his hitch in his jumper. With good results.
come again!!??? You talking about last year when he could not have a defender within 10 feet of him and shoot set threes? TJD is great! Not real shooting numbers tho.

Not arguing that. What I am arguing is he is a horrendous shooter, something our team severely lacks.
We don't lack horrendous shooters. ;) It's amazing that we're not better at shooting 3 pointers and FTs. However, IU is 28th in the country in overall FG percentage. I wasn't very suprised by that since we score so much in the paint:

Cupps seems to shoot off his right ear . Just needs to center the ball more , and on his jump stop , he needs to set his body and go straight up. A few Dick Baumgartner shooting drills could get him to correct that pretty quickly.

Last edited:
Can we get a shot doctor? Cupps, Galloway, Gunn, Walker, Banks all need help. Cupps passes up hard shots for even harder shots and shoots fading away Gunns feet are sideways Galloway shot is flat so is Walker and Banks. Leal, Mgbako, Ware, Reneau all have pretty good form. But the worst of the worst is Xavier Jonson what can you say terrible.

Can we get a shot doctor? Cupps, Galloway, Gunn, Walker, Banks all need help. Cupps passes up hard shots for even harder shots and shoots fading away Gunns feet are sideways Galloway shot is flat so is Walker and Banks. Leal, Mgbako, Ware, Reneau all have pretty good form. But the worst of the worst is Xavier Jonson what can you say terrible.

What is Jordy Hulls doing? Calbert? C’mon, these coaches should be helping these guys with shooting form/technique.

Reactions: ndhuntington
To be honest I have more hope of transfers coming in and having a good shot then us developing them. I wish Mgbako would stay another year with McNeely and Reneau and add alot of shooters around them we actually could have something but Woodson will probably add two 7 footers.

• Haha
It wasn’t broken in high school. It needs to be fixed.

I was a 6 handicap golfer and now I’m a 12. I need to fix that when I can dedicate some time to do it. These kids have time to fix their problems.
You don’t just show up at IU, and then start floating 3 feet to the left on your jump shot. And shooting it with very little arc. He brought that with him.

You don’t just show up at IU, and then start floating 3 feet to the left on your jump shot. And shooting it with very little arc. He brought that with him.
Yeah? What is your point here? Just posting negativity for negativity’s sake?

Yeah? What is your point here? Just posting negativity for negativity’s sake?
You engaged me. You seem to be Mr Confrontation on here. And nobody cares about your shtty golf game.
My point is pretty simple - even for you. Cupps shot is broken. It’s a basketball observation and this is a fan forum. Go somewhere else with your confrontations.

How did Cupps ever win Ohio Mr Basketball with such weak offensive skills? Yeah, he’s a freshman but his shooting form is totally broken.
It's nothing in the realm of as bad as TG though, I'm amazed that TG could even play college ball anywhere with the shot he has

To be honest I have more hope of transfers coming in and having a good shot then us developing them. I wish Mgbako would stay another year with McNeely and Reneau and add alot of shooters around them we actually could have something but Woodson will probably add two 7 footers.
Why do you insist in posting dumb stuff? Woodson has developed several IU players. TJD, THS, Galloway, and Race were all developed under Woodson.

We’ll see who Woodson adds to the team.

Also, “alot” is not a word. It’s “a lot.” At this point I think everyone that doesn’t get that is mentally challenged.

Last edited:
You engaged me. You seem to be Mr Confrontation on here. And nobody cares about your shtty golf game.
My point is pretty simple - even for you. Cupps shot is broken. It’s a basketball observation and this is a fan forum. Go somewhere else with your confrontations.
You responded to me first. You started the confrontation. If you’re afraid of confrontation you shouldn’t have started it.

As bad as I am at golf now, I bet I could beat you. ;)

Last edited:
You responded to me first. You started the confrontation. If you’re afraid of confrontation you afraid you shouldn’t have started it.

As bad as I am at golf now, I bet I could beat you. ;)
I didn’t start it. And I’d beat your butt like a drum on the golf course. You were a 6 handicap in your dreams. I played 3 times this week. How about you?

I didn’t start it. And I’d beat your butt like a drum on the golf course. You were a 6 handicap in your dreams. I played 3 times this week. How about you?
No, I was a 6 back in 2008. It took a lot of practice to be there, plus I could hit it a lot farther at the time. A couple years at sea when I never practiced, just played when I could screwed up my game. Since then, as a civilian, I just haven’t put in the time to be better. By the end of the summer each year I’m shooting between 80 and 100 with a very rare high 70 something.. When I retire-retire in the next year I’m going to practice. We can play then. ;)

Last edited:
Why do you insist in posting dumb stuff? Woodson has developed several IU players. The TJD, THS, Galloway, and Race were all better under Woodson.

Also, “alot” is not a word. It’s “a lot.” At this point I think everyone that doesn’t get that is mentally challenged.

🤣

Why do you insist in posting dumb stuff?
face-palm-disappointed.gif
Woodson has developed several IU players. The TJD, THS, Galloway, and Race were all better under Woodson.

Cupps seems to shoot off his right ear . Just needs to center the ball more , and on his jump stop , he needs to set his body and go straight up. A few Dick Baumgartner shooting drills could get him to correct that pretty quickly.
To Me it appears that Cupps is hesitant and thinking too much about mechanics and how to do things rather than just playing. Maybe that comes with the inexperience. I see it in his ball handling. he seems very stiff and mechanical and seems to be looking at not making mistakes rather than making plays. It appears that when He does get in shooting position that He takes the pass flat footed and is no surprised to be open that He chucks the ball at the basket just to get it out of his hands and is just happy to get the ball out of his hands.

How the hell do we get guys that can’t shoot over and over and over. Galloway almost airballed another FT tonight lol.
He missed the rim

Right before he clanked those FTs, he missed a wide open corner 3 by what seemed like a foot, not close to the rim. After he missed the first FT, he moped around before barely catching the front of the rim. He is lost. Zero leadership from the upper classes back court this season.

Woody has his flaws, but this backcourt is the problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT