ADVERTISEMENT

Crean's last day at IU

Marshall turned down Texas so he could hold out for ......... Illinois?

Knight is all the sudden tied in enough to IU's athletic department that he has input on coaching decisions?

Alford's going to walk from his contract at UCLA?

That post is astoundingly ignorant. The only plausible thing is Gottfried getting fired, but the odds of both that happening and N.C. State landing Miller are pretty low.

Miller will end up at OSU. Matta will step down in a year or so. Marshall will never coach at IU, or at least not for Glass. Glass is big on "sharing the same philosophy" and I'm guessing Marshall is more Kevin Wilson than he is Tom Crean. Glass wouldn't like that.

I don't think Crean is getting fired this season, though it's possible he might try and find a way out on his own. But Glass is my concern, with all his shared philosophy and "the first guy on you list is always the guy who's already here, " stuff. Glass is probably one nice lunch chat away from hiring Buckley.

Anyone who says 2018, please explain your reasoning. There is 0 reason to keep him another year. From a team perspective, IU will be a worse team talent wise. We will lose OG, JBJ and Bryant and bring in an unheralded recruiting class. By all objectives measure, IU will be worse. Also, the downward trending recruiting will tank further. He has lost the state and wasting another year makes no sense.

So I ask, why do you think he waits a year to fire him?

What worries me is that I could see all three staying, and thus Crean getting another chance. I don't see pro potential in any of these guys, James has the best shot cause he can shoot it and it is true there is always a need for guys that just flat can. OG can't dribble nor has much passing ability (that could be a problem in the NBA), totally not ready to be guarded by NBA talent. His draft status is totally based of athleticism and potential ... and just blew his ACL. Would have been the 3rd option on our horrid team ... he's not even Troy level draftable and I don't think he'll go. TB likes college, needs to grow still and is now that he's the #1 option ... 50/50. Blackmon could go, he's a finished product, I don't see him improving anymore by playing college ball, but I would doubt he's drafted.

Last edited:
Because, it's Indiana. It's Indiana.

What logical decision have they made regarding the basketball program in the last 17 years? Why start now?
That is very true and this is Fred Glass we are dealing with here. I simply think Fred just will not ever want admit he made a massive mistake. Sadly he may keep him on.

Reactions: jaypay23
Miller will end up at OSU. Matta will step down in a year or so. Marshall will never coach at IU, or at least not for Glass. Glass is big on "sharing the same philosophy" and I'm guessing Marshall is more Kevin Wilson than he is Tom Crean. Glass wouldn't like that.

I don't think Crean is getting fired this season, though it's possible he might try and find a way out on his own. But Glass is my concern, with all his shared philosophy and "the first guy on you list is always the guy who's already here, " stuff. Glass is probably one nice lunch chat away from hiring Buckley.
Remember Glass wants to challenge for National Titles wink wink!

That would be dumb to tell him that he will be replaced but if we don't someone better then you still have a job.
I think it's only fair to tell him that way he can look elsewhere to find a job and we can hire aquick replacement any time even hire Buckley as interim coach. Until we find our guy.

Knight is all the sudden tied in enough to IU's athletic department that he has input on coaching decisions?

That post is astoundingly ignorant. The only plausible thing is Gottfried getting fired, but the odds of both that happening and N.C. State landing Miller are pretty low.

I don't think he was insinuating that RMK had influence over IU AD to forbid, but over Alford.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Remember Glass wants to challenge for National Titles wink wink!

And I'm sure that's true, but as Chester pointed out, there's no distinction in that. Glass has said on multiple occasions, "Tom and I want the same things." Yahoo. He commented two weeks ago that he had a nice talk with Allen and they both wanted the same things, to win a conference title and go to the Rose Bowl. Great, but I'll not be buying my tickets just yet.

Glass and Crean are the same. Sales guys. All Hat. No Cattle.

What worries me is that I could see all three staying, and thus Crean getting another chance. I don't see pro potential in any of these guys, James has the best shot cause he can shoot it and it is true there is always a need for guys that just flat can. OG can't dribble
OG is freak of nature and will cause havoc on the defensive side of the ball in the nba. And if his offensive game comes around he could possibly be another Ron Artest or somebody of that nature. The sky is the limit for the kid. I think he goes top 15 in the next draft. Remember VO could not go right very well but got much better and got drafted #2 and I think OG is even more athlethic than VO. Just my opinion. I know some will dissagree. But not many players have a 7'4 wingspan and only be 6"8.

I think it's only fair to tell him that way he can look elsewhere to find a job and we can hire aquick replacement any time even hire Buckley as interim coach. Until we find our guy.
If you are going to make a change then you make it or if you are going to keep him then just say so. Another thing another coach will not talk with you until you have an opening so there is no way an AD would ever do what you said he should do.

If you are going to make a change then you make it or if you are going to keep him then just say so. Another thing another coach will not talk with you until you have an opening so there is no way an AD would ever do what you said he should do.
Where is your evidence to back this up? I know the cubs talked to Joe Maddon about the job while Rick Renteria was still the manager. Maybe its different in the ncaa. I dont know but do you have evidence to prove this to me.

You're close, but they'll wait until after the last signing day to maximize the damage gong forward. It s Glass "tradition"!
I do hope you're not just getting my hopes up.

Now the better question, who replaces him? I would get an IU legacy to improve in state recruiting and keep the "old school" from whining..........Wittman, Woodson, Smart, Calbert, Dane.......................

I too am afraid they give him one more year to prove he really is as bad as his first 9 seasons have shown. The problem i don't see addressed often is his lack of 4 years left on his contract to be able to recruit. How the hell can Glass give him a one year extension after this season? Just to get him four remaining on his contract. I think he HAS to go after this season. He may very well not win another game at IU the way things are playing out. Sad situation but Donovan or Marshall have to our next coach. I think Stevens is out of the question.

I doubt if he gets fired one year after winning the B1G. He is having an off-year. That will save him for at least a year or two.
An off year this is the norm for him look at his seasons at Marquette .

I doubt if he gets fired one year after winning the B1G. He is having an off-year. That will save him for at least a year or two.

Please take a look at the last 6 years overall, since the first 3 are locked up in some un-explainable bad fortune of a mediocre coach. It is very average at best, poor roster management & an extremely high turnover of the roster.

Besides that, the blow by hand shakes are very immature at best and his recruiting sucks.

No I was not and just because you coached in the NBA does not mean you can coach in college. Also they did not have much success in the pros so why would we want them here. Put it this way if they did not play at IU would you think there resume would be good enough to coach here.

You must be correct. John Calipari had a lifetime pro coaching record of 72-122 for .391% which left him COMPLETELY UNPREPARED for the rigors of the college game. Or maybe it was his stellar 2 years as a "star" at Clarion College.

I can't image why better players with better NBA coaching records wouldn't have the chops for the grind of the college game. Perhaps they couldn't handle fewer games, smaller egos, and a shorter season.

None of them are qualified to coach a college program at this level.

And what "level" do you think IU is at the present time pray tell? Not sure Mid-Major would fit the bill... You're the type of elitist mentality that put IU in this whole process in the first place... Psssst!... IU is no longer elite... Next coach... 500k to 800k... Look up what the 80th highest paid coach is making... Am I close with that figure?

Btw... 60th highest paid coach only making about 160k... So that would put IU at around 40th moneywise... Good money... Not INSANE money...

Last edited:
Bobby
And what "level" do you think IU is at the present time pray tell? Not sure Mid-Major would fit the bill... You're the type of elitist mentality that put IU in this whole process in the first place... Psssst!... IU is no longer elite... Next coach... 500k to 800k... Look up what the 80th highest paid coach is making... Am I close with that figure?
They are not elite because of Coach Crean and Fred Glass but that can change in a hurry if we make a homerun hire and we do have the money to do that. I think the longer we keep Crean around the less the donations and then we are looking at mid major like you say.

Sorry I'm answering this with some piss and vinegar and I needed a team for Marshall, so throwing my luck in there if he went to Illinois that would be basically pissing in my face.

I don't believe he would but I couldn't think of any other teams other than us that should obviously move on from their current situation.

Oh and the Knight forbidding goes to Alford...not IU. So Alford declines partly because Knight didn't bless it. I could see that.

Anyway Marshall and Archie are the big fish and we'll be one year too late... again.

IU is going to have hire a guy who can boost the IU culture, not change it. IU basketball is its own brand and identity. IU fans have been there over very lean years and are still loyal. Yet idiots call that "delusional". There is nothing that IU basketball can't offer the right coach. He would be positioned for many advantages, all of which have been pointed out numerous times. Few programs can match the unique advantages at IU.

Contrary to pencil-head geek popular belief....IU basketball fans are not "living in the past". We have expectations that are reasonable given IU's position and potential. Slump? There's probably none worse at this level. Yet the fans are still there....seventeen years removed from the greatest coach IU has ever had. .IU's on TV every game just about...and the facilities are getting better all the time.

Tom Crean has been unable to parlay the vast resources he's been provided with into a reloading recruiting system....and deeper runs in the NCAA than his peers in the conference. He has been a marginal performer at best. Yet, we can thank him for some incredible wins...yes there's been some...especially a couple over Kentucky, North Carolina and Kansas. But this is still IU...those wins should happen anyway...shouldn't they?

Crean had one thing right...."It's Indiana". Funny how fans at other programs around the country get that better than many of the locals. Its not about the past...its about the future and the very real potential that is right there... up for grabs. All it takes is the right coach. There are probably, realistically, 4 or 5 "right" guys out there. IU only needs to land one of them.

You must be correct. John Calipari had a lifetime pro coaching record of 72-122 for .391% which left him COMPLETELY UNPREPARED for the rigors of the college game. Or maybe it was his stellar 2 years as a "star" at Clarion College.

I can't image why better players with better NBA coaching records wouldn't have the chops for the grind of the college game. Perhaps they couldn't handle fewer games, smaller egos, and a shorter season.
Calapari was a college coach who went to the NBA and failed and came back to the college game.

Maybe none.Why don't you use your limitless brain and find out? But please don't post back to me because I dont care.

Just seems like an odd thing to say. I know a lot of people that went to Marquette and they take a good amount of pride in Marquette basketball. They may not be IU, but they have some good history to be proud of.

They've definitely always been a basketball school above all else that's for sure.

Just seems like an odd thing to say. I know a lot of people that went to Marquette and they take a good amount of pride in Marquette basketball. They may not be IU, but they have some good history to be proud of.

They've definitely always been a basketball school above all else that's for sure.
Really how many NC's? I think they went to one final four when they had Wade but after that nobody knows but a brainiac like yourself.

Really how many NC's? I think they went to one final four when they had Wade but after that nobody knows but a brainiac like yourself.

They had a couple final 4's and a national championship under Al McGuire. Who is a College Basketball Legend, not just a Marquette legend. I'd assume most on this board know who he is, not just a "braniac like myself".

Reactions: jimmygoiu
They had a couple final 4's and a national championship under Al McGuire. Who is a College Basketball Legend, not just a Marquette legend. I'd assume most on this board know who he is, not just a "braniac like myself".
Ha did you just google that to because it took a while to respond.

But I have heard the name wasn't he an announcer as well?

I do remember him a little bit when I was a kid. Sorry to hear that the white knuckler had to pass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT