ADVERTISEMENT

Covid is over

Co.H. thinks that survival is everything, when 30% of those infected having lingering post-covid symptoms, months later

My step dad "survived" covid and then five months later was found dead of a blood clot that got to his heart.

He had no underlying conditions, was 54 years old, very active, not overweight and a non smoker. Never regained smell he said.

This thing isn't all about survival rate. It will truly hurt people long term.

Anecdotal post, with deeper philosophic closing points:

I saw my docs this week.

One said I was safe - the other said stay home until you have had your vaccination. Thanks. Medical Industry.

One said "unless you wear an N95, masking is a speed bump at best - nothing stops an airborne virus except herd immunity gained through exposures and vaccines and virus mutation. People wearing cloth masks and surgical masks put out plenty enough of airborne Covid to keep it spreading. Touching sneeze and cough droplets has never been the real problem."

Yes, it might keep rural hospitals from getting overrun, but nothing will keep a major city or regional hospital from getting overrun. Driving business to big-city or regionally-dominant hospitals in "normal times" has unintended consequences during a pandemic.

Not gonna look it up, but I suspect history shows that every disease with an overall survival rate of 98-99+% (like Covid) will still have a much lower survival rate for folks over 70 and folks with pre-existing health problems before they caught the new one. I would bet that - in the end - the Covid numbers will not prove to be different in a statistically-significant way.

Likewise, history will show that all diseases also have non-lethal complications rangeing from minor to severe in a small percentage of cases, some unique, some driven by other health conditions. The jury is stillout on the rates/consequences of Covid, but again I would bet that - in the end - the Covid numbers will not prove to be different in a statistically-significant way, or prove to be unique in this regard either.

The main difference about Covid is not a medical or scientific difference. The disease has progressed like all others before it. But Covid has been politicized more than any other past pandemic or epidemic - due in part to the prevalance of developed-world social media. After living through it, it is easier to understand how a government which controls the message could convince its people to believe almost anything. Easier to understand how a 1920-30's Germany convinced its people to target Jews and Slavs. Easier to see how even a US government can - and soon will? - convince its own to attack a segment of its own, to see how one segment turns on another. Radical Islam is not the only group than can radicalize folks. My estimate is that about 80,000,000 US citizens/residents could currently be convinced by their respective Vote Whores to hit the streets in search of The Enemy. More than that are already willing to attack The Enemy in an anonymous internet manner. Give them a bandana and a pitchfork and few neighbors to hide amongst and:

tenor.gif

...it is easier to understand how a government which controls the message could convince its people to believe almost anything. Easier to understand how a 1920-30's Germany convinced its people to target Jews and Slavs. Easier to see how even a US government can - and soon will? - convince its own to attack a segment of its own, to see how one segment turns on another. Radical Islam is not the only group than can radicalize folks. My estimate is that about 80,000,000 US citizens/residents could currently be convinced by their respective Vote Whores to hit the streets in search of The Enemy.
Just to be clear, the is not MTIOTF making comparisons between Dem voters and the Dem administration to Nazis. Nope. No siree. He wouldn't do such a thing. Never.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Just an absurdly illogical comparison. You're not going to contract HIV/AIDS from sitting next to an infected person on a plane or in a restaurant. It's transmissible only through sex or sharing hypodermic needles. With AIDS, there was no basis for public anxiety because, unlike Covid, you're not going to catch it from casual contact.
That isn’t what everyone thought at the time. That’s the reason Magic Johnson retired for a while.

My step dad "survived" covid and then five months later was found dead of a blood clot that got to his heart.

He had no underlying conditions, was 54 years old, very active, not overweight and a non smoker. Never regained smell he said.

12 years ago I was very active, biking a couple thousand miles/year, went to the doc about stubborn leg pain, one ultrasound and a CAT scan later, ended up in the hospital for week because they found blood clots that “could have killed me” if they got to my heart, but didn’t. I asked the doc what brought that on, he shrugged and said they don’t know. Oh, no Covid either.

I now know over thirty friends, family and coworkers that have been positive for COVID. One person, over 70, was briefly hospitalized for pneumonia, but has since fully recovered. One younger friend briefly lost taste and smell, but has fully recovered. The rest had nothing but very mild symptoms and all are fully recovered. If we’re going on anecdotal evidence, I would think we’ve greatly overreacted with our response because I know of several local restaurants, including my favorite, have gone under and many people that have lost their jobs as well. Even not going in anecdotal evidence and based on the statistics, we’ve overreacted IMO. We should have protected the elderly and most vulnerable without a doubt, worn masks, distance, etc., but essentially carry on mostly as normal.

Financially I’ve made out like a bandit due to what I do and being able to do it virtually for the most part, but it’s not about me.

Last edited:
midwestern vs east coast I guess
I don't know. because there's loads of new yorkers and jersey folks down in naples area now too. and obviously broward and palm are the sixth burrough. it was just weird that naples really stood out so much. it's funny just a few weeks ago my stoker was showing me on good morning america a report about a local grocery store in naples there where no one was wearing masks. i'd have been pissed if i owned that store and was singled out because that store was representative of most of naples. as an aside i forgot how much money is naples. crazy

Reactions: stollcpa
I now know over thirty friends, family and coworkers that have been positive for COVID. One person, over 70, was briefly hospitalized for pneumonia, but has since fully recovered. One younger friend briefly lost taste and smell, but has fully recovered. The rest had nothing but very mild symptoms and all are fully recovered. If we’re going on anecdotal evidence, I would think we’ve greatly overreacted with our response because I know of several local restaurants, including my favorite, have gone under and many people that have lost their jobs as well. Even not going in anecdotal evidence and based on the statistics, we’ve overreacted IMO. We should have protected the elderly and most vulnerable without a doubt, worn masks, distance, etc., but essentially carry on mostly as normal.

Financially I’ve made out like a bandit due to what I do and being able to do it virtually for the most part, but it’s not about me.
We probably could have carried on more normally if people had taken masking and social distancing more seriously.

After living through it, it is easier to understand how a government which controls the message could convince its people to believe almost anything. Easier to understand how a 1920-30's Germany convinced its people to target Jews and Slavs. Easier to see how even a US government can - and soon will? - convince its own to attack a segment of its own, to see how one segment turns on another. Radical Islam is not the only group than can radicalize folks.

The country's been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.

https%3A%2F%2Fd1e00ek4ebabms.cloudfront.net%2Fproduction%2F8b6c4509-30f1-492e-bc7d-2486600564e7.jpg

9774172f-a14e-4a2d-81f8-a0c71af23ff8_1920x1080.jpg

210113-capitol-riot-auschwitz-shirt-mn-1005_4852ea3a12ecab5754cd7899dd2299df.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
12 years ago I was very active, biking a couple thousand miles/year, went to the doc about stubborn leg pain, one ultrasound and a CAT scan later, ended up in the hospital for week because they found blood clots that “could have killed me” if they got to my heart, but didn’t. I asked the doc what brought that on, he shrugged and said they don’t know. Oh, no Covid either.

Apples and oranges.

You had a warning sign. Something was obviously wrong with your leg that was tipping you off. What warning sign did my step dad have that he had developed blood clots after catching covid? He had none.

Your example doesn't hold water.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Apples and oranges.

You had a warning sign. Something was obviously wrong with your leg that was tipping you off. What warning sign did my step dad have that he had developed blood clots after catching covid? He had none.

Don't mind COH. He knows as much about medicine as he does HVAC, and he'll tell you all about it.

We probably could have carried on more normally if people had taken masking and social distancing more seriously.

Are you kidding? All sports were cancelled in days. Shutdowns of restaurants, churches happened over night. Schools closed. No weddings. No funerals. No nursing home visits. All travel came to a sudden and screeching halt. And on and on. We scared the crap out of each other. That was pretty serious. Sure, some rebelled. Some don’t evacuate who are in the path of a wildfire either. That’s the way it is.

Apples and oranges.

Actually no. The CAT scan showed old pulmonary clots for which I had no symptoms. The radiologist told me I had them for a long time and I never knew it. Did a lot of research about that and asymptotic clots are usual; then they kill you with no warning. I was lucky that a large one got trapped in a leg vein before it reached my heart or brain.

Reactions: stollcpa and DANC
Are you kidding? All sports were cancelled in days. Shutdowns of restaurants, churches happened over night. Schools closed. No weddings. No funerals. No nursing home visits. All travel came to a sudden and screeching halt. And on and on. We scared the crap out of each other. That was pretty serious. Sure, some rebelled. Some don’t evacuate who are in the path of a wildfire either. That’s the way it is.
Yep. Almost over night. A company I have an interest in was doing a deal with Schutt Sports. We had a scheduled meeting the week Pritzker shut Illinois down. I still have it on my calendar. Schutt filed for bankruptcy last month.

Calif is still trying to shut down youth sports. One of the largest youth soccer clubs out there got a cease and desist this past week from San Diego County. It's becoming a mess because the club told the county to piss off. They're done with the shutdowns and letting the kids play

I don't know. because there's loads of new yorkers and jersey folks down in naples area now too. and obviously broward and palm are the sixth burrough. it was just weird that naples really stood out so much. it's funny just a few weeks ago my stoker was showing me on good morning america a report about a local grocery store in naples there where no one was wearing masks. i'd have been pissed if i owned that store and was singled out because that store was representative of most of naples. as an aside i forgot how much money is naples. crazy

Naples, Bonita, vanderbilt etc are getting to be as unbearable (NY NJ) as Palm Beach, Broward and Dade. Just hearing that accent still makes me cringe and i have been in Boca for a decade.

• Angry
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Naples, Bonita, vanderbilt etc are getting to be as unbearable (NY NJ) as Palm Beach, Broward and Dade. Just hearing that accent still makes me cringe and i have been in Boca for a decade.
i lived in wpb for years and get down to visit friends in your neck of the woods at least every other month. i was very surprised to see that re the naples area. last i had been there it was still largely midwesterners. now ny/nj plates everywhere.

• Angry
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls

Apples and oranges

Interesting.

You left out Portland.

In fact, you left out most all of the other "mostly peaceful" protests.

I ponder Y.

Are toxically partisan, selectively outraged or uninformed? (I'll hang up and listen.)

You already covered those.

I figured I would highlight what a real attempt at uprising looks like, albeit an ultimately impotent one...thank God. But, they sure didn't know that at the time.

Just to be clear, the is not MTIOTF making comparisons between Dem voters and the Dem administration to Nazis. Nope. No siree. He wouldn't do such a thing. Never.

When I compare the Dims to Nazi's, you won't need to guess.

But like most things that are overwhelmingly common, it does get boring.

I wish it were harder.

But sadly its pretty easy. Too many examples to choose from, er, from which to choose.

And as they tune up to gas, er, cancel more folks, it will become easier and easier.

(Has the Ministry of Thought approved your response to this post yet? Makke sure. Be certain. One wrong thought and you are DEAD in the Modern Marketplace of Idea.)

Reactions: stollcpa and DANC
You already covered those.

I figured I would highlight what a real attempt at uprising looks like, albeit an ultimately impotent one...thank God. But, they sure didn't know that at the time.

Sure was a lot of long hair hippies in them pictures.

I bet they took a marijuana before they did that stuff.

No wonder Trump's speech sparked a riot.

They were full of reefer madness!

The original shutdown may have been unavoidable, but the reopening was drastically drawn out because people refused to follow simple guidelines that would have allowed us to open more quickly.

god damn, annoying east coasters should stay on the Atlantic side. Gonna ruin the GOAT area

Just gaze in wonder at what the media does in this country. LMAO

“Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican, ignored federal guidelines and prioritized getting senior citizens — one of Florida’s most potent voting blocs — vaccinated first.”

Then, a few paragraphs later-

In December, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released recommendations on who should be getting vaccinated first. But the Trump administration essentially left the distribution of the doses up to governors, said Philip J. Palin, a veteran government consultant who specializes in delivering supplies to survivors of catastrophes.

I can’t even....

Last edited:

Listen up Nancy Drew. There is always going to be a non-zero chance of catching Covid. You and your shrivel dicked pals that are advocating for masking and distancing even after widespread vaccine adoption have completely gone off the reservation. This pandemic has broken your brain and made you incapable of rational risk analysis.

Things are likely very easy for you, having every aspect of your life dictated to you by your authoritarian Singaporean government. Back here stateside we still don't go for that kind of thing. We'll do our thing, you do yours, but for the love of god, cut the shit with your judgmental Covid nonsense because our society has to bear the benefits and detriments of individual choice.

Listen up Nancy Drew. There is always going to be a non-zero chance of catching Covid. You and your shrivel dicked pals that are advocating for masking and distancing even after widespread vaccine adoption have completely gone off the reservation. This pandemic has broken your brain and made you incapable of rational risk analysis.

Things are likely very easy for you, having every aspect of your life dictated to you by your authoritarian Singaporean government. Back here stateside we still don't go for that kind of thing. We'll do our thing, you do yours, but for the love of god, cut the shit with your judgmental Covid nonsense because our society has to bear the benefits and detriments of individual choice.

Right. Your ignorance and parochialism knows no bounds.
Stay ignorant my friend.

Reactions: IU_Hickory

Seems to me that we "shrivel dicks" who follow the guidelines of health professionals help make it more probable for those who demand individual freedom to avoid getting sick.

Auto drivers who stop on yellow, and/or enter dangerous intersections cautiously, make it possible for drivers who run red lights to avoid accidents.

Seems to me that we "shrivel dicks" who follow the guidelines of health professionals help make it more probable for those who demand individual freedom to avoid getting sick.

Auto drivers who stop on yellow, and/or enter dangerous intersections cautiously, make it possible for drivers who run red lights to avoid accidents.
The guidelines of health officials would send the country into a depression and leave kids home schooled for far too long. Health officials’ guidelines should factor in policy decisions not set policy.

The guidelines of health officials would send the country into a depression and leave kids home schooled for far too long. Health officials’ guidelines should factor in policy decisions not set policy.

The debate is whether not following the advice of health professionals prolongs the recession and prevents kids from going back to school.

I don't think the debate will be resolved until we review all the factors and decisions made during the pandemic at some time in the future when all the smoke has cleared.

The smoke included trying to make public policy on a new health challenge during a presidential election year, Then there is the individual freedom versus government dictates, and at what level of government should decisions be made debates. These are ongoing debates which will probably always be with us.

the oooole Covid 19 . Grab a mask and cover up... better yet, double up and wear two! And if 2 is really better than one, why in Gods name isnt the CDC demanding we wear 3... in the shower and while we sleep? Years ago I took a Biology course @ a Fl Jr college that was being taught by a retired veterinarian. He was discussing what he determined a disturbing trend in the over prescribing of broad spectrum anti biotics and the resulting resistant strains of bacteria and the deadly infections that resulted. It seemed inevitable to him that we would one day need “ mega antibiotics” to treat the very resistant infections we had created... Now theres a vacine for a virus with an over 99% survival rate. Im quite certain theres an extensive list of illness and miscellaneous maladies far more deadly than Covid that we live through daily. What ever happened to the “ science” that told us that our bodies are our best defense against foreign invasion, and that our immune systems are strengthened by being subjected to said pathonegens ( and by healthy living habits). Just a few years back, we had a fairly significant flu season with an alarming number of “ high risk” fatalities. Vaccines will always be “ behind” the battle for any given variant or change to a virus, which is why we see vaccines now more targeted ( Influenza A, B etc) and why you hear “ that was last years vaccine, this vaccine is more specific to mutations we anticipate this year”. We are now already hearing that there are Covid variances being discovered, and you can be sure ( before the verdict is even out on current Covid vaccines) that there will be vaccines for the many Covid mutations. Influenza is an airborne ( droplet nucleai) transmission disease. Does everyone remember a few years back wearing masks all flu season long...... didnt think so. Were there deaths associated with the flu. Yes. Thats how and why we started to recognize high risk groups and implemented more prophylactic type responses for these groups. Had these simple and longstanding isolation procedures been utilized in NYC’s nursing homes, Covid would not have inflicted the staggering numbers of deaths that it did. Covid is infectious indeed ( but truly hard to discern when up to 40% are asymptomatic) but its high risk groups were identified early and havent changed. Survival rates WITHIN high risk groups only increased. In our great country you can ingest and believe anything you want... and granted, its getting more and more difficult to uncover the truth/ fact/ reality in society today. IMHO.... Covid is real.... but Covid is fake

the oooole Covid 19 . Grab a mask and cover up... better yet, double up and wear two! And if 2 is really better than one, why in Gods name isnt the CDC demanding we wear 3... in the shower and while we sleep? Years ago I took a Biology course @ a Fl Jr college that was being taught by a retired veterinarian. He was discussing what he determined a disturbing trend in the over prescribing of broad spectrum anti biotics and the resulting resistant strains of bacteria and the deadly infections that resulted. It seemed inevitable to him that we would one day need “ mega antibiotics” to treat the very resistant infections we had created... Now theres a vacine for a virus with an over 99% survival rate. Im quite certain theres an extensive list of illness and miscellaneous maladies far more deadly than Covid that we live through daily. What ever happened to the “ science” that told us that our bodies are our best defense against foreign invasion, and that our immune systems are strengthened by being subjected to said pathonegens ( and by healthy living habits). Just a few years back, we had a fairly significant flu season with an alarming number of “ high risk” fatalities. Vaccines will always be “ behind” the battle for any given variant or change to a virus, which is why we see vaccines now more targeted ( Influenza A, B etc) and why you hear “ that was last years vaccine, this vaccine is more specific to mutations we anticipate this year”. We are now already hearing that there are Covid variances being discovered, and you can be sure ( before the verdict is even out on current Covid vaccines) that there will be vaccines for the many Covid mutations. Influenza is an airborne ( droplet nucleai) transmission disease. Does everyone remember a few years back wearing masks all flu season long...... didnt think so. Were there deaths associated with the flu. Yes. Thats how and why we started to recognize high risk groups and implemented more prophylactic type responses for these groups. Had these simple and longstanding isolation procedures been utilized in NYC’s nursing homes, Covid would not have inflicted the staggering numbers of deaths that it did. Covid is infectious indeed ( but truly hard to discern when up to 40% are asymptomatic) but its high risk groups were identified early and havent changed. Survival rates WITHIN high risk groups only increased. In our great country you can ingest and believe anything you want... and granted, its getting more and more difficult to uncover the truth/ fact/ reality in society today. IMHO.... Covid is real.... but Covid is fake
Wall-of-Text2.png

Hammer meet nail. Well said sir, nothing remotely arguable about this post.

ADVERTISEMENT