ADVERTISEMENT

Covid is over

I've said since the beginning thank God I live in Georgia.... Show me how we've done worse than other states.. We've been living since last May.
My friends in atlanta say "that's where the non believers begin." SW Fla was like going back in time to 2019. no one was distancing and less than 10 percent were wearing masks. 100 percent occupancy everywhere

My friends in atlanta say "that's where the non believers begin." SW Fla was like going back in time to 2019. no one was distancing and less than 10 percent were wearing masks. 100 percent occupancy everywhere
ok.... so we definitely weren't SW Fla... haha.. But we did have some restaurants that ignored all the rules and never were punished. Nobody cared. And once again, I'll put my county's stats up against anyone. As a rural county with 25K people and a county seat of 5K, we never understood the "one size fits all" rules. We basically live in a socially distanced manner at all times

Reactions: DANC and mcmurtry66
Makes more sense to me to believe the threat of viral pandemics such as SARs 18 and now Covid 19 will always be a possibility.

Thus saying its over would be a mistake. Viruses are forever mutating and presenting new challenges, When it comes to viruses, the Fat Lady never sings.

Instead we should review where we went wrong and what we did right, and plan for the future. When i say "we", I mean everyone on the entire planet.

Last edited:
Reactions: sglowrider
Makes more sense to me to believe the threat of viral pandemics such as SARs 18 and now Covid 19 will always be a possibility.

Thus saying its over would be a mistake. Viruses are forever mutating and presenting new challenges, When it comes to viruses, the Fat Lady never sings.

Instead we should review where we went wrong and what we did right, and plan for the future. When i say "we", I mean the whole planet.

One thing we should have learned is that scaring the shit out of everyone when the virus has a survival rate in the high 90th percentile, most people have only mild symptoms, and using that fear to destroy hopes, lives, and dreams was a mistake.

Did you catch the Biden town hall question from the mom asking Biden how to tell her young daughter that she won’t die from Covid? There are probably millions of youngsters and parents who have that fear. We did that—not the virus.

One thing we should have learned is that scaring the shit out of everyone when the virus has a survival rate in the high 90th percentile, most people have only mild symptoms, and using that fear to destroy hopes, lives, and dreams was a mistake.

Did you catch the Biden town hall question from the mom asking Biden how to tell her young daughter that she won’t die from Covid? There are probably millions of youngsters and parents who have that fear. We did that—not the virus.
Bravo

One thing we should have learned is downplaying covid doesn't actually help re-election prospects.

Taking it more seriously would have lowered the death rate. It is not about fear. It is about understanding the situation and giving a crap about the people around you that may be more at risk.

And even if you are unlikely to die, you can still get bad complications from it that you have to live with moving forward.

Last edited:

I hear you but I think it’s mostly been about ICU beds since this started. Even my super conservative county locked down after they ran out of beds. Why would either party want to decimate govt tax revenue and the corporate profits of their donors?

So you’re asking media to stop reporting the biggest story of the decade? Should the media have toned down Great Recession and 9/11 coverage? I, mean, that also would have helped the economy and our mental health too.

And as a conservative non-Republican, why would I take the advice of the party who almost completely denied that a pandemic existed and also falsely claimed massive election fraud?

No disrespect to you, but i think blaming the media has just become easier than critical thinking.

Is this some of that menstruation crap you were just prattling on about in the "Rush" thread

And it's time we start acting like it.

Key points:

• Cases down 77% in the last 6 weeks
  • As of this week, 15% of Americans have received the vaccine, and the figure is rising fast. Former Food and Drug Commissioner Scott Gottlieb estimates 250 million doses will have been delivered to some 150 million people by the end of March.
  • About 1 in 600 Americans has died of Covid-19, which translates to a population fatality rate of about 0.15%. The Covid-19 infection fatality rate is about 0.23%. These numbers indicate that roughly two-thirds of the U.S. population has had the infection
So take heed. This weekend, shed that mask, get in someone's face, make out with strangers. It is a time to celebrate, herd immunity is here. Don't let the dooms dayers that have grown to love this new world tell you otherwise.
I hope he's right. I want to got to the Indy 500 in May and attend concerts and baseball games this summer.

CoH, would bet the survival rate of bicycle riders who don't wear a helmet is really high. So why do you and those other scaredy cats wear one?

Reactions: IU_Hickory
CoH, would bet the survival rate of bicycle riders who don't wear a helmet is really high. So why do you and those other scaredy cats wear one?

This post is way beneath your usual quality.

The government never issued shut down orders for bicycle shops. In fact the government does everything it can to lessen the anxiety some people have when biking.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I hear you but I think it’s mostly been about ICU beds since this started. Even my super conservative county locked down after they ran out of beds. Why would either party want to decimate govt tax revenue and the corporate profits of their donors?

So you’re asking media to stop reporting the biggest story of the decade? Should the media have toned down Great Recession and 9/11 coverage? I, mean, that also would have helped the economy and our mental health too.

And as a conservative non-Republican, why would I take the advice of the party who almost completely denied that a pandemic existed and also falsely claimed massive election fraud?

No disrespect to you, but i think blaming the media has just become easier than critical thinking.
Great post.

From what I've read your take on ICU beds is accurate. I saw a regional breakdown of the zones of Illinois and it was something like 100 beds for 600,000 people. So hypothetically let's say you have 60 people already occupying the iCU and because of covid you add just twenty people. Now you're nearing capacity and shutting down 600,000 people over 20. That's not okay. I did some research (not much admittedly) but the cost of icu beds and ventilation machines/equipment varies drastically all over the world. I've complained at length on this board that we are missing the boat in discussing coverage, coverage, coverage, without also doing a critical analysis of the inflated cost of care and some sort of correction of same. As part of that we need to look into expanding icu care imo.

When AIDS burst upon the scene, the government, media, and the celebrity culture did everything thing it could to lessen public anxiety. The reason was obviously to mitigate discrimination against gays.

When Covid burst upon the scene, the opposite happened. Why? I think three reasons:

1. Democrat governors loved seizing power and issuing orders.

2. Many saw a political opportunity to pin this on Trump, so they increased public anxiety and didn’t let that crisis go to waste.

3. Democrats don’t see the value small business provides to the society and the economy in the same way Republicans see that value.

In short, the government and institutional response has a significant ideological component.

I get the point about hospital space and that was a temporary concern. But the blue states are maintaining their emergency powers and issuing orders when the hospital issue is manageable. That’s because they like the power, not because they need the power.

Last edited:

really? Are you talking Naples or where?

Sign a release document stating you will forego all ambulatory and hospital care if you get sick with COVID-19. Sign a legal agreement taking responsibility for spreading the virus to vulnerable people... then you can take your mask off.

You don't want to live in a civil society? Fine. There are some remote islands still without roads or clean drinking water to move too.

Padre?

When AIDS burst upon the scene, the government, media, and the celebrity culture did everything thing it could to lessen public anxiety. The reason was obviously to mitigate discrimination against gays.

When Covid burst upon the scene, the opposite happened. Why? I think three reasons:

2. Many saw a political opportunity to pin this on Trump, so they increased public anxiety and didn’t let that crisis go to waste.

3. Democrats don’t see the value small business provides to the society and the economy in the same way Republicans see that value.

In short, the government and institutional response has a significant ideological component.

I get the point about hospital space and that was a temporary concern. But the blue states are maintaining their energy powers and issuing orders when the hospital issue is manageable. That’s because they like the power, not because they need the power.

All this for 12 to 18 months of juiced up powers? Also doesn’t explain red counties and states following suit when they saw the data. But I do get the “don’t let a good crisis got to waste” aspect of this for sure.

I get the point about hospital space and that was a temporary concern. But the blue states are maintaining their energy powers and issuing orders when the hospital issue is manageable. That’s because they like the power, not because they need the power.
Just an absurdly illogical comparison. You're not going to contract HIV/AIDS from sitting next to an infected person on a plane or in a restaurant. It's transmissible only through sex or sharing hypodermic needles. With AIDS, there was no basis for public anxiety because, unlike Covid, you're not going to catch it from casual contact.

Just an absurdly illogical comparison. You're not going to contract HIV/AIDS from sitting next to an infected person on a plane or in a restaurant. It's transmissible only through sex or sharing hypodermic needles. With AIDS, there was no basis for public anxiety because, unlike Covid, you're not going to catch it from casual contact.

So annoying of you to get in the way of a bad argument.

Reactions: UncleMark

Nope x 2.

First, AIDS was a death sentence. COVID is mostly a sore throat and a cough with a high 90’s survival. Yet that poor mom at Biden’s townhall had a daughter who thought she could die. That was all politics.

Second, there were millions of people who thought you could catch aids from a sneeze and any cut that required a bandaid

Reactions: GregJM24
This illogic is fundamentally flawed and dangerous. It's extremely unlikely two-thirds of Americans have been infected.

But things are definitely moving in the right direction. It's not over. Pretending it is over is irresponsible. But the end is indeed in view.

The only flaw I see is that he .23 IFR median does not take into account the outsized older population in the U.S. It would stand to reason that almost all of this population will be vaccinated by end of March/ April.

And not to be crass, but if you're an old folk with vaccine hesitancy, society should not stop for you.

That said I'm sure there will be Karen's two years from now who yell at you for getting too close to them in the card aisle at CVS. I worry that the masks are not coming off for a long time, even after the case rate is miniscule. This has done a number on people's psyche.

Years from now when we look back and have better data and realize just how ineffective the masks were/are we're all going to feel mighty silly. Except for those stubborn Covid evangelists who have no shame.

Last edited:
Sign a release document stating you will forego all ambulatory and hospital care if you get sick with COVID-19. Sign a legal agreement taking responsibility for spreading the virus to vulnerable people... then you can take your mask off.

You don't want to live in a civil society? Fine. There are some remote islands still without roads or clean drinking water to move too.

I'll gladly forgo ambulatory and hospital care. You're actually advocating for an uncivil society, maybe we have everyone purchase Covid liability insurance? That's essentially what you're advocating for here and its ridiculous.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
The only flaw I see is that he .23 IFR median does not take into account the outsized older population in the U.S. It would stand to reason that almost all of this population will be vaccinated by end of March/ April.

And not to be crass, but if you're an old folk with vaccine hesitancy, society should not stop for you.

That said I'm sure there will be Karen's two years from now who yell at you for getting too close to them in the card aisle at CVS. I worry that the masks are not coming off for a long time, even after the case rate is miniscule. This has done a number on people's psyche.

Years from now when we look back and have better data and realize just how ineffective the masks were/are we're all going to feel mighty silly. Except for those stubborn Covid evangelists who have no shame.
That is indeed the big flaw, but you're ignoring some of the implications.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT