ADVERTISEMENT

Evolution, Blood, Mucous and Viruses

MyTeamIsOnTheFloor

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2001
Duckburg
I disagree a little with Dr. Campbell and a guest. I think a virus will mutate with or without vaccination interventions by humans. Might take longer, but even in an entirely unvaccinated population, you will still have varying levels of individual immunity/resistance by both the humans and the virus, and, thus, varying levels of herd immunity. Vaccination interferes with the timing and scope, but not the fact.

But, except for those with something to hide, the education about/evaluation of the Covid virus (and the varying governmental/societal responses thereto across the globe) continues among the unafraid, the curious, the sciencers and the learners.

I disagree a little with Dr. Campbell and a guest. I think a virus will mutate with or without vaccination interventions by humans. Might take longer, but even in an entirely unvaccinated population, you will still have varying levels of individual immunity/resistance by both the humans and the virus, and, thus, varying levels of herd immunity. Vaccination interferes with the timing and scope, but not the fact.

But, except for those with something to hide, the education about/evaluation of the Covid virus (and the varying governmental/societal responses thereto across the globe) continues among the unafraid, the curious, the sciencers and the learners.

Very astute and absolutely correct > I think a virus will mutate with or without vaccination interventions by humans. < All viruses mutate naturally and depending on the virus, at different rates. And yes - vaccination may drive mutation rate.

I don’t know if this is still the leading theory still, but for a while there many/most experts had agreed the current omicron variant/mutation had come to be in wild mice. Not sure if this is still the thinking, but it still leaves the option that any virus can mutate well outside of the influence of any vaccine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT