ADVERTISEMENT

Controversial but solid hire: Scott Skiles

I think it would be great. Somebody, not me, thunk him up out of the blue the other day and I mentioned it. Hadn't thought of him for years, but he's definitely gonna light a fire under whatever team he's coaching

Definitely an intriguing idea. I am sure he could max out whatever talent he had to work with. And his schemes couldn’t be less effective than what we’ve watched in the last 4 years.

I haven’t followed in recent years to know what he’s doing these days? My first thought is he would be way too tough on the coddled 4* and 5* needed to win at this level. With the Bulls he was a pretty good coach who eventually the guys stopped listening to. Personality-wise, I can’t see him coddling on or off the court and certainly in recruiting. Also, don’t expect him to be much for rubbing elbows with well heeled alums at golf outings (similar to what has been a knock on Archie).

I would call this one “high risk, high reward” kind of hire. You know I’m getting old when the last thing I mention is his off-court issues in college.

Tell me why it’s a good hire.
Because he was a great college player, good NBA player, and pretty decent NBA coach. Coached the Bulls not too long ago and probably would have ties to Chicago recruiting. Something we lost with RMK

Because he was a great college player, good NBA player, and pretty decent NBA coach. Coached the Bulls not too long ago and probably would have ties to Chicago recruiting. Something we lost with RMK
That sounds like a decent resume for a university that desires a decent basketball program. I have little doubt that it would fit nicely with the hires of Davis, Sampson, Crean and Miller, and produce similar results. Would suggest we make sure his contract includes an enormous buyout provision.

Last edited:
If your going down that road then why not Mike Woodson or Randy Wittman.

Scott Skiles 478-480
Randy Wittman 278-406
Mike Woodson 315-365

If your going down that road then why not Mike Woodson or Randy Wittman.

Scott Skiles 478-480
Randy Wittman 278-406
Mike Woodson 315-365
I wouldn't be opposed to that, but I think Skiles might have better name recognition where we need it. He's has not been away that long

Archie will be back.
Meltdown on this board happens..

I don't think so. I think the tide has turned.

In the last 3 weeks I've seen 3-4 different articles by regional & national press to the effect that Archie should go........not that that is what the fans are saying he should ......that he deserves to be fired. Brew at SI broke the dam on these stories.

I feel like the administration can put up with the fan's bitching. but being ridiculed in the national press is another matter entirely.

Your persistence on this matter, makes you look more Boilerish by the minute.
He’s an IU fan, but his expectations for the program are relatively modest. He’s part of a growing group of fans who feel as he does.

I wouldn't be opposed to that, but I think Skiles might have better name recognition where we need it. He's has not been away that long

FYI -
Skiles - 56 years old
Wittman - 61 years old
Woodson - 62 years old

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT