ADVERTISEMENT

Connecticut high school girls file federal lawsuit over transgender athletes.

Hoopsdoc1978

All-American
Apr 13, 2016
Epsom Indiana
Three female high school athletes in Connecticut, along with their families, filed a federal lawsuit Wednesday to prevent transgender athletes from competing in girls track and field meets, arguing that biologically male athletes have a physical advantage.

The three are arguing that competing against biologically male athletes has denied them the chance to win medals and achieve scholarship opportunities.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/connecti...wsuit-transgender-athletes-sex-discrimination

Will be an interesting case to watch.

Maybe this will add some muscle to the lawsuit.

serena-williams-new-york-magazine-5.jpg

Let them compete... I don't see the problem with that.
Then why separate the girls from the boys?

Trans "identify" as female, their physical body doesn't, so clearly "identifying" is a mental phenomenon rather than a physical one. Taking hormones to change the body is kosher for non-athletes but not for athletes. Or are we going to have lawsuits on whether I can take performance-enhancing drugs?

Trans "identify" as female, their physical body doesn't, so clearly "identifying" is a mental phenomenon rather than a physical one. Taking hormones to change the body is kosher for non-athletes but not for athletes. Or are we going to have lawsuits on whether I can take performance-enhancing drugs?
The unintended consequences. Anyone that didn't see this coming is not very bright

And even keeping testosterone levels low doesn’t negate the advantages boys are born with.

They need to either compete in the gender of their birth or create a third class.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
beyond ridiculous that it's even being debated.

no way should born females have to compete with individuals who used to be guys.

i have no problem if they wish to consider themselves "girls" and be treated as such in many things, but not things that push others to an inherent competitive disadvantage for biological reasons.

no way should born females have to compete with individuals who used to be guys.

i have no problem if they wish to consider themselves "girls" and be treated as such in many things, but not things that push others to an inherent competitive disadvantage for biological reasons.
It's all ridiculous but it's also what the populace wanted. So now females are disadvantaged. It's a violation of title IX

It may cost them a medal, but it does not affect scholarship opportunities! Scholarships are based on performance, not what place you finished

Can't argue with that but if they want to complete let them compete but don't start crying saying that this or that rule is discrimination against them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renée_Richards#Tennis_career_after_transitioning

Richards has since expressed ambivalence about her legacy, and came to believe her past as a man provided her with advantages over her competitors, saying "Having lived for the past 30 years, I know if I'd had surgery at the age of 22, and then at 24 went on the tour, no genetic woman in the world would have been able to come close to me. And so I've reconsidered my opinion."[20][21]

Reactions: iuwclurker

I was watching some grade school basketball out of the Fort yesterday. You had boys and girls playing against each other. The best player on the floor was a girl. She was faster and bigger than anybody else. I was thinking to myself how long she could keep this up. She is better now. But those boys are going to catch up to her and pass her up. It's just the way it is. If we allowed girls to play on boys teams then most likely there would be no girl sports. Put girls on the football field and see what happens in high school. It won't be pretty. You can't get past the genetic differences between men and women.

Can't argue with that but if they want to complete let them compete but don't start crying saying that this or that rule is discrimination against them.
If they have a male body, let them compete against male bodies, unless the sport is unisex, like chess.

Reactions: Hoopsdoc1978

I don't think it's fair to say gender identity is "a mental phenomenon rather than a physical one." At least not entirely. I do think that gender identity is largely socialized, but it also is often rooted in physical reality, and in some cases, that reality can be messy, and hard to fit in a clean dual-gender system, such as athletics. Consider the South African athlete Caster Semenya, for example. She is physically female, but has XY chromosomes. Her condition is one of many rare conditions that are sometimes called "intersex," because they don't fit neatly within a fully male or fully female definition. Because her body is female, she was raised that way, and always identified as such. But concerns have nevertheless been raised that her particular genetic makeup gives her some of the same advantages that an XY male would have competing against females.

Anyway, I'm not bringing all this up to advocate for a certain position on this issue. I'm simply reminding everyone that biology is not neat and tidy, and so this issue probably can't be waved away with a simple "Compete with what you are biologically."

Reactions: mashnut
I don't think it's fair to say gender identity is "a mental phenomenon rather than a physical one." At least not entirely. I do think that gender identity is largely socialized, but it also is often rooted in physical reality, and in some cases, that reality can be messy, and hard to fit in a clean dual-gender system, such as athletics. Consider the South African athlete Caster Semenya, for example. She is physically female, but has XY chromosomes. Her condition is one of many rare conditions that are sometimes called "intersex," because they don't fit neatly within a fully male or fully female definition. Because her body is female, she was raised that way, and always identified as such. But concerns have nevertheless been raised that her particular genetic makeup gives her some of the same advantages that an XY male would have competing against females.

Anyway, I'm not bringing all this up to advocate for a certain position on this issue. I'm simply reminding everyone that biology is not neat and tidy, and so this issue probably can't be waved away with a simple "Compete with what you are biologically."

never let general policy be blown up by the fraction of 1% exception.

i have zero problem with agencies having a chromosome based policy, or one concerning hermaphrodites, but that's not germane to the debate at hand.

I am advocating something -- standardness (or whatever the right word is). The exception makes the rule. Take professional tennis. Nothing is fair about Serena being born an amazing athlete genetically (just like JJ Watt in the NFL). Thing is, Serena herself admits that she stands no chance whatsoever against the men. No chance.

Most women stand no chance against Serena. Luck of the draw. But you have to draw the line somewhere, so you look for something standard.

What about some man who simply can't compete with the men? Okay, says he's a woman, wipes out the women and gets rich. Hunky dory?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT