Connecticut high school girls file federal lawsuit over transgender athletes.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Hoopsdoc1978, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Hoopsdoc1978

Hoopsdoc1978 Junior
    Expand Collapse

https://www.foxnews.com/us/connecti...wsuit-transgender-athletes-sex-discrimination

Will be an interesting case to watch.

2. iuwclurker

iuwclurker All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

Maybe this will add some muscle to the lawsuit.

[​IMG]

3. NPT

NPT Moderator
    Expand Collapse

4. iuwclurker

iuwclurker All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

Then why separate the girls from the boys?

Trans "identify" as female, their physical body doesn't, so clearly "identifying" is a mental phenomenon rather than a physical one. Taking hormones to change the body is kosher for non-athletes but not for athletes. Or are we going to have lawsuits on whether I can take performance-enhancing drugs?

mcmurtry66 and Hoopsdoc1978 like this.
  5. Spartans9312

Spartans9312 Freshman
    Expand Collapse

The unintended consequences. Anyone that didn't see this coming is not very bright

6. Hoopsdoc1978

Hoopsdoc1978 Junior
    Expand Collapse

And even keeping testosterone levels low doesn’t negate the advantages boys are born with.

They need to either compete in the gender of their birth or create a third class.

mcmurtry66 likes this.
  7. i'vegotwinners

i'vegotwinners All-American
    Expand Collapse

beyond ridiculous that it's even being debated.

no way should born females have to compete with individuals who used to be guys.

i have no problem if they wish to consider themselves "girls" and be treated as such in many things, but not things that push others to an inherent competitive disadvantage for biological reasons.

8. Spartans9312

Spartans9312 Freshman
    Expand Collapse

It's all ridiculous but it's also what the populace wanted. So now females are disadvantaged. It's a violation of title IX

9. Cortez88

Cortez88 Junior
    Expand Collapse

You guys have really hit on the biggest issue facing our country.

9 Cortez88, Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  10. baileyiu

baileyiu All-American
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

It may cost them a medal, but it does not affect scholarship opportunities! Scholarships are based on performance, not what place you finished

11. iuwclurker

iuwclurker All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

Hey, haven't we learned in the last three years we can't take Trump's piss back out of the soup, let alone put it back in the tube?

12. NPT

NPT Moderator
    Expand Collapse

Can't argue with that but if they want to complete let them compete but don't start crying saying that this or that rule is discrimination against them.

13. Spartans9312

Spartans9312 Freshman
    Expand Collapse

I thought girls being discriminated against was a big deal?

14. UncleMark

UncleMark Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renée_Richards#Tennis_career_after_transitioning

Richards has since expressed ambivalence about her legacy, and came to believe her past as a man provided her with advantages over her competitors, saying "Having lived for the past 30 years, I know if I'd had surgery at the age of 22, and then at 24 went on the tour, no genetic woman in the world would have been able to come close to me. And so I've reconsidered my opinion."[20][21]

iuwclurker likes this.
  15. VanPastorMan

VanPastorMan Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Central Pennsylvania Via Washington Indiana
    She was and is a freak of nature. When Serena was 16 or so you could see the muscle in her back and you just knew that once she figured out how to play she would be number 1 for a long time. I really have enjoyed her career. Go USA!!!!

16. VanPastorMan

VanPastorMan Hall of Famer
    Expand Collapse

Central Pennsylvania Via Washington Indiana
    I was watching some grade school basketball out of the Fort yesterday. You had boys and girls playing against each other. The best player on the floor was a girl. She was faster and bigger than anybody else. I was thinking to myself how long she could keep this up. She is better now. But those boys are going to catch up to her and pass her up. It's just the way it is. If we allowed girls to play on boys teams then most likely there would be no girl sports. Put girls on the football field and see what happens in high school. It won't be pretty. You can't get past the genetic differences between men and women.

17. iuwclurker

iuwclurker All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

If they have a male body, let them compete against male bodies, unless the sport is unisex, like chess.

Hoopsdoc1978 likes this.
  18. TheOriginalHappyGoat

Expand Collapse

I don't think it's fair to say gender identity is "a mental phenomenon rather than a physical one." At least not entirely. I do think that gender identity is largely socialized, but it also is often rooted in physical reality, and in some cases, that reality can be messy, and hard to fit in a clean dual-gender system, such as athletics. Consider the South African athlete Caster Semenya, for example. She is physically female, but has XY chromosomes. Her condition is one of many rare conditions that are sometimes called "intersex," because they don't fit neatly within a fully male or fully female definition. Because her body is female, she was raised that way, and always identified as such. But concerns have nevertheless been raised that her particular genetic makeup gives her some of the same advantages that an XY male would have competing against females.

Anyway, I'm not bringing all this up to advocate for a certain position on this issue. I'm simply reminding everyone that biology is not neat and tidy, and so this issue probably can't be waved away with a simple "Compete with what you are biologically."

mashnut likes this.
  19. i'vegotwinners

i'vegotwinners All-American
    Expand Collapse

never let general policy be blown up by the fraction of 1% exception.

i have zero problem with agencies having a chromosome based policy, or one concerning hermaphrodites, but that's not germane to the debate at hand.

20. iuwclurker

iuwclurker All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

I am advocating something -- standardness (or whatever the right word is). The exception makes the rule. Take professional tennis. Nothing is fair about Serena being born an amazing athlete genetically (just like JJ Watt in the NFL). Thing is, Serena herself admits that she stands no chance whatsoever against the men. No chance.

Most women stand no chance against Serena. Luck of the draw. But you have to draw the line somewhere, so you look for something standard.

What about some man who simply can't compete with the men? Okay, says he's a woman, wipes out the women and gets rich. Hunky dory?