ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations to Coach Drew and Vanderbilt on a terrific season

Um, just because we are in completion with Vandy to land Romeo and they beat us out for Garland doesn't mean you should trash a good coach from Indiana from a very well respected basketball pedigree/family. The guy could play and its obvious he has paid his dues and can coach. Why did they not meet expectations of finishing a very optimistic 7th this year ... who knows and its not even work me researching. I think for the same reasons people defend Archie, Crean, RMK, and Coach K in not getting done in the first couple years ... the same latitude applies. Probably for much the same reasons our season is over when most thought we'd scrape out way to the tourney barely this year, there's still foundational building in progress. C'mon, don't be stupid and a homer just cause we're in competition for a recruit. Would you trash Romeo and his talent as sour grapes if he doesn't sign here ... c'mon Vandy is a good academic institution and he is going pro regardless of what he accomplishes in college?

Totally agree with what you are saying, but just to make sure you have correct info for your argument... RMK was 17-8 he's first year at IU. 22-6 and a FF appearance in his second.

Darius Garland is his best friend.

I see this a lot on forums and I have to ask, is he really? The never went to school together, they didn't grow up in the same neighborhood, they don't even play on the same AAU team (I think they did play together in an adidas event in Italy). So, I'm not sure if or how they are best friends. I understand they probably have connected through playing each other on the summer circuit. And probably connected more at their IU OV and talked about how cool it might be to play together. But best friends?

I think the relationship is being overblown. Heck, before the idea of playing with his "best friend" RL. It was Marvin Bagley, Cameron Reddish and Tre Jones. Throw in Bol Bol, who also signed else where. Now it's Romeo and Shittu. DG has always tried to make connections with other 5* players in his class and be a package deal. And he selfishly wants to do it on his own terms at his hometown school. That's ok. And, ultimately RL may decide to be a package deal. Which is ok too. But that is a far cry from "best friends."

Last edited:
Quentim Grimes, the Kansas signee, is close friends with Romeo. If playing with a buddy is a major factor for Romeo, watch out for Kansas.

Archie and Drew are in VERY similar positions. Largely unproven young HC’s who succeeded at their first job. Neither one has done anything at their current job to brag about other than Drew’s recruiting. But he’s also had an extra year. Most objective non-fans would say they’re very similar at this point. And that’s fine imo. It’s early.

That’s just not true. Most objective non-fans would point out the obvious differences in their resumes and say that Archie clearly is more experienced and has had better results. Then they’d point to how much better of a job being the HC at Indiana is compared to Vandy. Drew was never in the running for a top job. Archie got one. Next they’d reference the fact that Archie gets paid way more which also shows that he’s a more accomplished and more proven commodity. No AD in the country was willing to pay Drew $3Mil/ year. The Horizon is not close to as good as the A10. Archie has been to the elite 8. Finally, and this might be the most important part, Archie’s wife is way hotter than Drew’s. Always be closing.

The NCAA was investigating Scott for recruiting violations. I don't remember the results of that. All offspring of Homer were tainted by the treatment Hanner received from Scott at Baylor. It might be unfair to judge Bryce from his brother's actions, but Bryce doesn't have enough experience on his own to tell much about his character. At Valpo, he was an extension of his dad. I am interested in what he does without dad's influence.
That’s fair. Serious question...if it’s proven that the allegations against Sean Miller are in fact true, will you also judge Archie according to his brother’s shortcomings? I think it applies here. Very similar cases. If not, why?

That’s just not true. Most objective non-fans would point out the obvious differences in their resumes and say that Archie clearly is more experienced and has had better results. Then they’d point to how much better of a job being the HC at Indiana is compared to Vandy. Drew was never in the running for a top job. Archie got one. Next they’d reference the fact that Archie gets paid way more which also shows that he’s a more accomplished and more proven commodity. No AD in the country was willing to pay Drew $3Mil/ year. The Horizon is not close to as good as the A10. Archie has been to the elite 8. Finally, and this might be the most important part, Archie’s wife is way hotter than Drew’s. Always be closing.
All fair points. In no way am I saying Drew is better or more accomplished than Archie. Archie has a better resume so far, although I wouldn’t say it’s a huge difference. Both are young coaches who are unproven at the major college basketball level. All I’m saying is they’re somewhere close to the same league. It’s not like we’re comparing Drew to Cal or Coach k here.

That’s fair. Serious question...if it’s proven that the allegations against Sean Miller are in fact true, will you also judge Archie according to his brother’s shortcomings? I think it applies here. Very similar cases. If not, why?
If and if in your post. What if not if?

Calling the cases "similar" reaches a nasty, negative conclusion for two families before you have any proof and regardless if there is any proof.

Why did you let yourself even speculate about this stuff at this stage?

If Archie starts pulling in five star players from Canada out of nowhere, guys who are heavily rumored to have handers (like Shittu and the Auburn kid), guys who have absolutely no connection to the program, who have barely even visited, and the kind of players that good ole IU have never been involved with....like what's going on at Vandy then yeah, I wouldn't take it at face value and applaud Archie for simply being a 'better recruiter'.

I'd be extremely worried that Archie was borrowing his brother's playbook.

Sometimes I park where I have to, but I don't know firsthand how a dbag parks. Maybe you're the one who can tell us about that.

tenor.gif

Reactions: IUgradman

Calling the cases "similar" reaches a nasty, negative conclusion for two families before you have any proof and regardless if there is any proof.

Because he has an agenda. & it’s not pro-IU. He’ll argue that he’s the only man alive capable of objectivity but if you look at his posting history you’ll see he’s anything but objective.

Well there’s not any proof that Scott Drew ever paid players is there?

I wouldn’t judge Archie based on anything that could be true about Sean, just as I don’t judge Bryce Drew based on anything his brother did or didn’t do. I don’t think it’s fair for either person.

I’m just wondering how you could judge one person based on their brother and not do the same thing for another person. I’m not saying you’re judging Drew, I’m just saying in general.

Well there’s not any proof that Scott Drew ever paid players is there?

I wouldn’t judge Archie based on anything that could be true about Sean, just as I don’t judge Bryce Drew based on anything his brother did or didn’t do. I don’t think it’s fair for either person.

I’m just wondering how you could judge one person based on their brother and not do the same thing for another person. I’m not saying you’re judging Drew, I’m just saying in general.
It makes more sense when you explain it this way.

Here's a fact. Romeos 2 best friends are Sean East and Darquan Richardson. They both attend New Albany High School. Yeah, Im sure hes cool with Garland and Grimes. Hes cool with about 50 H.S. players though. Im not saying he's any lock to IU, but some of this relationship, package deal stuff, is way overblown.

Lol . . . . If this was the case, he’d be going to Harvard or Yale.

Later in life Romeo can pay to finish up WHEREVER he wants to go. Romeo may not be stupid, but your reasoning is certainly tracking that way.
You do know the Ivy League doesn't offer full ride athletic scholarships, right?

You do know the Ivy League doesn't offer full ride athletic scholarships, right?
why would he care? this kid could go anywhere he wants to for a year and if need be pay for it later. after he cashes his first nba pay check.

First,it will have to be proven that Sean made that offer. I find it unlikely an ESPN reporter was granted permission to listen to a tape of an ongoing FBI investigation. If Schlabach is wrong, I hope Sean sues ESPN for so much that they have to rename the network SEAN.

Bryce Drew might be of good character. Time will tell. I don't know that he has done anything wrong. Archie hasn't done anything to concern me. Some pissants like you and Purdue fans won't give him a break regardless of Sean's outcome, but I will allow him to continue to prove he is doing things the right way.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
why would he care? this kid could go anywhere he wants to for a year and if need be pay for it later. after he cashes his first nba pay check.
That is a bit of a stretch. The Ivy League just doesn't accept any random student-athlete. They have strict admissions. There's no reason he would go there in the first place. And they certainly don't play on national TV much if ever.

Stallings was better than Bryce Drew at Vandy and he just got fired by Pitt after going 0-19 in Conference.

Reactions: IUgradman
Um, just because we are in completion with Vandy to land Romeo and they beat us out for Garland doesn't mean you should trash a good coach from Indiana from a very well respected basketball pedigree/family. The guy could play and its obvious he has paid his dues and can coach. Why did they not meet expectations of finishing a very optimistic 7th this year ... who knows and its not even work me researching. I think for the same reasons people defend Archie, Crean, RMK, and Coach K in not getting done in the first couple years ... the same latitude applies. Probably for much the same reasons our season is over when most thought we'd scrape out way to the tourney barely this year, there's still foundational building in progress. C'mon, don't be stupid and a homer just cause we're in competition for a recruit. Would you trash Romeo and his talent as sour grapes if he doesn't sign here ... c'mon Vandy is a good academic institution and he is going pro regardless of what he accomplishes in college?
go iu-you're shouting in the wind.Give it up.

That is a bit of a stretch. The Ivy League just doesn't accept any random student-athlete. They have strict admissions.

And you think Vandy doesn’t?

Btw - I seriously doubt Romeo Langford, if he can qualify at Vanderbilt, is getting turned down for admission to Harvard.

First,it will have to be proven that Sean made that offer. I find it unlikely an ESPN reporter was granted permission to listen to a tape of an ongoing FBI investigation. If Schlabach is wrong, I hope Sean sues ESPN for so much that they have to rename the network SEAN.

Bryce Drew might be of good character. Time will tell. I don't know that he has done anything wrong. Archie hasn't done anything to concern me. Some pissants like you and Purdue fans won't give him a break regardless of Sean's outcome, but I will allow him to continue to prove he is doing things the right way.
You’re really struggling here man. I just said I won’t judge Archie by his brother’s actions, good or bad.

And I’ve said probably 1000x how I believe strongly Archie will do well at IU.

Pissants haha

I'm not old enough to remember this RMK's first seasons but I looked up his record and he started out strong his first year and got to the Final Four his second year. It also looks like he might have been the best coach Army every had and probably Texas Tech too. But I want Romeo here as much as anyone else does. ;)

I'm not old enough to remember this RMK's first seasons but I looked up his record and he started out strong his first year and got to the Final Four his second year. It also looks like he might have been the best coach Army every had and probably Texas Tech too. But I want Romeo here as much as anyone else does. ;)
his first ten seasons were amazing. can you imagine what he would have done had george mcginnis and larry bird stuck around? greatest coach ever, PERIOD!

I have said before that his first seaon at TT was one of RMK's best coaching jobs in many years.

Reactions: .Gerdis
And you think Vandy doesn’t?

Btw - I seriously doubt Romeo Langford, if he can qualify at Vanderbilt, is getting turned down for admission to Harvard.
It's totally different if he's getting an athletic scholarship (and other types). Everybody knows or at least should know, athletes do not have the same requirement to be accepted into a school as a regular student. This holds true for every school.

The Ivy League is easy in the 50k range per year to attend. And Vandy is actually a smidge higher than that. Why in the world would he pay out of pocket that he could get basically for free? Much less if he could even get admitted.

It's totally different if he's getting an athletic scholarship (and other types). Everybody knows or at least should know, athletes do not have the same requirement to be accepted into a school as a regular student. This holds true for every school.

The Ivy League is easy in the 50k range per year to attend. And Vandy is actually a smidge higher than that. Why in the world would he pay out of pocket that he could get basically for free? Much less if he could even get admitted.
Methinks you need to go back and read what was said.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Not sure what you mean or what I missed. I didn't even want to be in this thread, but I noticed you were using an Ivy League school as an example where RL should go instead of Vandy to someone else. I was mainly just informing you no Ivy League schools offer athletic scholarships and it's very likely he wouldn't even get accepted to one anyway. But if he could, there's an even less likely chance he would pass up a full scholarship at another similar school. So that is where I stand. I am not throwing any shade at any recruit, institution, or poster. Good luck to your Xavier, and I'll be rooting for Butler tonight.

Not sure what you mean or what I missed. I didn't even want to be in this thread, but I noticed you were using an Ivy League school as an example where RL should go instead of Vandy to someone else. I was mainly just informing you no Ivy League schools offer athletic scholarships and it's very likely he wouldn't even get accepted to one anyway. But if he could, there's an even less likely chance he would pass up a full scholarship at another similar school. So that is where I stand. I am not throwing any shade at any recruit, institution, or poster. Good luck to your Xavier, and I'll be rooting for Butler tonight.
I know all the details about Ivy League non-scholarships.

That wasn’t the point of the discussion. You obviously missed it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT