ADVERTISEMENT

Congratulations to Coach Drew and Vanderbilt on a terrific season

Um, just because we are in completion with Vandy to land Romeo and they beat us out for Garland doesn't mean you should trash a good coach from Indiana from a very well respected basketball pedigree/family. The guy could play and its obvious he has paid his dues and can coach. Why did they not meet expectations of finishing a very optimistic 7th this year ... who knows and its not even work me researching. I think for the same reasons people defend Archie, Crean, RMK, and Coach K in not getting done in the first couple years ... the same latitude applies. Probably for much the same reasons our season is over when most thought we'd scrape out way to the tourney barely this year, there's still foundational building in progress. C'mon, don't be stupid and a homer just cause we're in competition for a recruit. Would you trash Romeo and his talent as sour grapes if he doesn't sign here ... c'mon Vandy is a good academic institution and he is going pro regardless of what he accomplishes in college?

In Iverson's case he was right though ... he didn't need to practice and left it all on the floor every night. I can respect that, because he lived up to it every night and didn't have much help. Its not like he never practiced ... he was defending himself against the need to when it wasn't beneficial to his actual real game performance when he took so much beating in the real contests

He’s not a good coach. Stallings left Drew a tournament team and two years later they lost 20 games. Do I need to re-post the tweet showing him talking to his team during a timeout?

I remember when IU used to battle, Duke, KU, UK, Purdue, UNC and other top programs. All this Vandy butthurt is fairly humerous.

All of those schools offered Romeo a scholarship and he even went on OVs to two of them.

I have not seen it, but if it suggests he not the greatest XO coach ... that doesn't necessarily
mean he ain't a good coach. All I recall was he was a hell of a good player from a good pedigree and got drafted and played pro ball. I'm thinking he knows basketball more than you or I.

I have not seen it, but if it suggests he not the greatest XO coach ... that doesn't necessarily
mean he ain't a good coach. All I recall was he was a hell of a good player from a good pedigree and got drafted and played pro ball. I'm thinking he knows basketball more than you or I.

If you suck at Xs and Os, you are not a good coach. And being a benchwarmer in the NBA does not make one a good coach.

Uhh ... right? He was a first round draft choice that could carry a team. Did he turn out to be MJ or Steve Nash, well no, but a pro-player for a while, yes. You could make they same claim that Larry Bird or Magic, or Jason Kidd, Fred Hoiberg, Scott Skiles wasn't a great XO coach ... and probably why, because they were great players and assume to much as to what they'd do if playing. Same thing, good players have to sometimes grow into becoming good coaches and it usually gels eventually.

If you suck at Xs and Os, you are not a good coach. And being a benchwarmer in the NBA does not make one a good coach.
Are you sure he sucks as much as your think? He played pro ball, comes from a legendary coaching background. I'm sure if he sucked so much as you say, he'd surely not be putting together probably the most historic class Vandy has ever seen and we wouldn't be worried about Romeo dissing IU his in-state school. So, yes, please elaborate on how much he sucks and how much more knowledgeable about bball that you are than a D1 coach that's earned their way up. Hmm?

Are you sure he sucks as much as your think? He played pro ball, comes from a legendary coaching background. I'm sure if he sucked so much as you say, he'd surely not be putting together probably the most historic class Vandy has ever seen and we wouldn't be worried about Romeo dissing IU his in-state school. So, yes, please elaborate on how much he sucks and how much more knowledgeable about bball that you are than a D1 coach that's earned their way up. Hmm?

Yes, he sucks as much as I think. Being a good recruiter is very different from being a good coach. And he doesn’t get his players cleanly. The Shittu recruitment in particular raised a lot of flags.

Alford recruits extremely well at UCLA and has woefully underachieved with the talent he has because he is a bad coach. The Bruins are a bubble team with a ton of talent on the roster.

Reactions: ashdoc and kmathum
Well, there's more than XO and talent to each team. I don't think its as cut and dry as you make it out to be. For example, UK also has more talent than 99% this year and Cal is not regarded as a great XO coach. Sometimes its great chemistry ... for example, who the hell thought we were going to the 2002 NC with a a bunch of guys RMK never used and one stud freshman who was almost out for the year before they caught fire. It's both and Alford is NOT a bad coach ... JHTDC ... he is the head coach of UCLA, lets at least assume he earned the right to be interviewed for that position, did you? I really doubt, highly doubt, that Vandy is Drew's end all be all destination job ... so he's goin to cheat at a place that is about as hard to recruit to as Northwestern ... what to be simply competitive in the SEC and never get a better job ... please

Um, just because we are in completion with Vandy to land Romeo and they beat us out for Garland doesn't mean you should trash a good coach from Indiana from a very well respected basketball pedigree/family. The guy could play and its obvious he has paid his dues and can coach. Why did they not meet expectations of finishing a very optimistic 7th this year ... who knows and its not even work me researching. I think for the same reasons people defend Archie, Crean, RMK, and Coach K in not getting done in the first couple years ... the same latitude applies. Probably for much the same reasons our season is over when most thought we'd scrape out way to the tourney barely this year, there's still foundational building in progress. C'mon, don't be stupid and a homer just cause we're in competition for a recruit. Would you trash Romeo and his talent as sour grapes if he doesn't sign here ... c'mon Vandy is a good academic institution and he is going pro regardless of what he accomplishes in college?
RMK took IU to the final 4 in his 2 year

RMK took IU to the final 4 in his 2 year
Well, that is because he was and is a great HOF coach and one that I believe is the best. However, there have been several HOF coaches that needed a year or 2 to get their system in place before their coaching can shine, and given the absolute lack of talent on our roster this year ... we at least didn't have a losing record with 3 burger boys and a lottery pick lost. AM looks promising, but hey, you gotta get it done when you are being paid to get it done. So, if in year 3 or so with a new roster all of his own choosing, we collapse or fail to compete at a very high level ... move forward. I really have a hard time believing that with any good coach and good recruiter that IU is more than 3 years away from elite again. If that's not what is expected, then we shouldn't be paying those that can't deliver as if they could.

Yeah, uh right. Do you know that Vandy is a prestigious university to attend. Their academic standards are like a Northwestern. I seriously, seriously doubt that any kind of upcoming coach like a Drew or Chris Collins is really going to risk their coaching future to compete for a year or two on an unfair playing field. Those are stepping stone jobs towards the big-time where your recruiting is unconstrained. Its just laughable why so many wish to believe Romeo is being lured by $$$ or unethical stuff. He is a one and done ... why wouldn't you start an education at a way more prestigious U if you have the chance and intentions of finishing later in life when it may actuall matter.. The Kid is a stoic klller on the court ... why would you assume that he's got the attitude of a three star recruit that can't go anywhere he wants to go and still go pro, but might be thinking already of a what if a Greg Oden type injury happens. Just saying ... the kid ain't stupid

Yeah, uh right. Do you know that Vandy is a prestigious university to attend. Their academic standards are like a Northwestern. I seriously, seriously doubt that any kind of upcoming coach like a Drew or Chris Collins is really going to risk their coaching future to compete for a year or two on an unfair playing field. Those are stepping stone jobs towards the big-time where your recruiting is unconstrained. Its just laughable why so many wish to believe Romeo is being lured by $$$ or unethical stuff. He is a one and done ... why wouldn't you start an education at a way more prestigious U if you have the chance and intentions of finishing later in life when it may actuall matter.. The Kid is a stoic klller on the court ... why would you assume that he's got the attitude of a three star recruit that can't go anywhere he wants to go and still go pro, but might be thinking already of a what if a Greg Oden type injury happens. Just saying ... the kid ain't stupid
If you've noticed Romeo isn't the only 5 * recruit in that class. If Romeo were to pick Vandy it would be because of who they already have signed, Darius Garland is his best friend. The fact of the matter is it stinks, simple as that, officials are already looking into the Shittu recruitment. If Vanderbilt basketball ends up with 4 or 5, 5* players it isn't because of their 20 loss season, their lack of tradition, or the fact that Drew spent 5 minutes in the NBA. It is because they are dirty plain and simple, nobody is going to convince me otherwise. I called it with Ole Miss football a few years back and now I'm calling it with Vandy.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...

Last edited:
why wouldn't you start an education at a way more prestigious U if you have the chance and intentions of finishing later in life when it may actuall matter..
Lol . . . . If this was the case, he’d be going to Harvard or Yale.

Later in life Romeo can pay to finish up WHEREVER he wants to go. Romeo may not be stupid, but your reasoning is certainly tracking that way.

If you've noticed Romeo isn't the only 5 * recruit in that class. If Romeo were to pick Vandy it would be because of who they already have signed, Darius Garland is his best friend. The fact of the matter is it stinks, simple as that, officials are already looking into the Shittu recruitment. If Vanderbilt basketball ends up with 4 or 5, 5* players it isn't because of their 20 loss season, their lack of tradition, or the fact that Drew spent 5 minutes in the NBA. It is because they are dirty plain and simple, nobody is going to convince me otherwise. I called it with Ole Miss football a few years back and now I'm calling it with Vandy.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...
100%

You must be from Valpo, probably even went to school with Bryce, to defend him and ruin your crediblity...i would say you should stop while you"re ahead...but then again you never were...

Drew hasn't proven himself to be a good coach though. He inherited the keys to a good Valpo program from his daddy right when the Horizon League tanked with Butler/Loyola leaving and now Vandy's had a 20-loss season for the first time in the history of their program and one of the worst winning percentages in the history of their program (worse than any of Stallings' seasons).

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
If the roster from last year had returned intact for CAM, where would IU have finished this season? Drew walked into a pretty decent situation at VU. How do you manage to lose 20 games in your second year? He will no doubt get a pass based on the class coming in next year, but he loses a ton of experience next season and it will take more than a few shiny pieces to make them competitive. Time will tell.

Yes, he sucks as much as I think. Being a good recruiter is very different from being a good coach. And he doesn’t get his players cleanly. The Shittu recruitment in particular raised a lot of flags.

Alford recruits extremely well at UCLA and has woefully underachieved with the talent he has because he is a bad coach. The Bruins are a bubble team with a ton of talent on the roster.
Isn’t Scott Drew a well known cheat at Baylor also? Seems like both of Homer’s boys know the key to recruiting...$$$.

Go away Mrs. Drew.

Reactions: IUgradman
I think for the same reasons people defend Archie, Crean, RMK, and Coach K in not getting done in the first couple years ... the same latitude applies.

Um...RMK went to the Final Four in his second year at Indiana, followed by a couple of pretty good years after that where he went undefeated in the Big Ten in back-to-back seasons...not sure why you would include him in your little rant. Must have just been a simple oversight, right?

Last edited:
Are you getting confused with Homer?

As far as the family, Scott Drew hasn't always reflected his dad's clean approach to coaching. The Baylor program sent a message that threatened Hanner with deportation if he didn't come to Baylor. He has also had some run-ins with the NCAA.

Bryce did pretty well at Valpo, but he was continuing a program his dad had been successfully running. Vanderbilt faces a different level of challenges and he didn't make a seamless transition like he did at Valpo. There is no proof his system at Valpo can be repeated in the SEC or with a schedule against better competition.

One could try to compare Drew to CAM, but CAM would win. Drew's coaching experience is Assistant at Valpo and Head Coach at Valpo. CAM had served as an assistant under good coaches and programs before arriving at Dayton. CAM then built Dayton into a winner.Drew is in year two at a program that had been good enough to launch their old coach to a new opportunity. So far, Vandy is trending downward.

Archie and Drew are in VERY similar positions. Largely unproven young HC’s who succeeded at their first job. Neither one has done anything at their current job to brag about other than Drew’s recruiting. But he’s also had an extra year. Most objective non-fans would say they’re very similar at this point. And that’s fine imo. It’s early.

Isn’t Scott Drew a well known cheat at Baylor also? Seems like both of Homer’s boys know the key to recruiting...$$$.
No, I don’t recall Scott Drew ever being accused of paying players. I think you’re confusing him with Sean Miller.

I don’t know if B Drew is good or not, but he could be. We’ll know in a couple years. I definitely wouldn’t bet against him succeeding, although I do think he gets beat out for Romeo.

No, I don’t recall Scott Drew ever being accused of paying players. I think you’re confusing him with Sean Miller.

I don’t know if B Drew is good or not, but he could be. We’ll know in a couple years. I definitely wouldn’t bet against him succeeding, although I do think he gets beat out for Romeo.
The NCAA was investigating Scott for recruiting violations. I don't remember the results of that. All offspring of Homer were tainted by the treatment Hanner received from Scott at Baylor. It might be unfair to judge Bryce from his brother's actions, but Bryce doesn't have enough experience on his own to tell much about his character. At Valpo, he was an extension of his dad. I am interested in what he does without dad's influence.

He sucks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT