ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching meltdown.

I said before the season that I expected this to be the transition year. Without any resemblance of a D-Line, a bowl game alone is an improvement I didn't see coming this year. Next year is when I expect something big.
We should be better, no question, the D-line is the glaring concern still though, interior D-line, that is. We have very little coming back. We desperately need Leshaun Minor to return.

Reactions: YOTHN
No excuses. You can go back and read my posts. It's a transition year and has been since last November.
It actually should have been considered a year of growing pains from the start(or before the start actually)considering we are so young & lost so many seniors, particularly defensively. Somehow somewhere though, expectations rose to a level which may have been unrealistic. Defensively in particular, we knew(or should have known)struggles would be a possibility. The sloppiness & ill preparedness is what is hard to accept.

Last edited:
It actually should have been considered a year of growing pains from the start(or before the start actually)considering we are so young & lost so many seniors, particularly defensively. Somehow somewhere though, expectations rose to a level which may have been unrealistic. Defensively in articular, we knew(or should have known)struggles would be a possibility. The sloppiness & ill preparedness is what is hard to accept.

Let’s be honest here. This is the only time they’ve really laid an egg all year, but the timing couldn’t be worse.

Let’s be honest here. This is the only time they’ve really laid an egg all year, but the timing couldn’t be worse.
Michigan State? That was at least poaching an egg, or something. Regardless, the poor preparation should never happen, it's my biggest concern.

It actually should have been considered a year of growing pains from the start(or before the start actually)considering we are so young & lost so many seniors, particularly defensively. Somehow somewhere though, expectations rose to a level which may have been unrealistic. Defensively in articular, we knew(or should have known)struggles would be a possibility. The sloppiness & ill preparedness is what is hard to accept.
That is because of all the hype about the new strength and conditioning program. And then when both lines are manhandled it must be a coaching problem.

Reactions: DANC and IUgradman
That is because of all the hype about the new strength and conditioning program. And then when both lines are manhandled it must be a coaching problem.
So again Indiana which is the 19th youngest team in FBS and a brand new strength and conditioning program is supposed to match up in one year. Yes I will be the first to admit I underestimated Iowa’s offensive line. Even though many picked them to win the west.

Yeah, you're right, & that is the biggest problem on-field--both lines. We aren't good or strong enough on either side of the ball. The O-line should be better than this, that unit is laying an egg this year.

So again Indiana which is the 19th youngest team in FBS and a brand new strength and conditioning program is supposed to match up in one year. Yes I will be the first to admit I underestimated Iowa’s offensive line. Even though many picked them to win the west.
I am disappointed but am not surprised. I have said I would be happy with 6-6 for the past three seasons. Iowa put 48 on Minnesota last week and they are playing Ohio State tough. I have to admit, for the first time this season, I am not looking forward to the Penn State game.

It is not so much that we lost but how bad we played and looked totally unprepared for the game. Also it they way we are going about building our program. To me we will never compete beyond trying to finish 5th in the East with this type of offense. We should take notes from the team we played today and model ourselves after them. An offense that is very balanced and can dominate both lines of scrimmage. I am so over watching 4 and 5 WR and dinking and dunking our way down the field. We either throw short or just throw it up to see if one of our WR can go up and get the ball. We see no intermediate routes that go out 10-20 yards to keep the defense off balance. I would love to see us go after the type of OL that Iowa gets and use 2 TE or a full back as well and have a QB that plays under the center.

Reactions: IUgradman
It is not so much that we lost but how bad we played and looked totally unprepared for the game. Also it they way we are going about building our program. To me we will never compete beyond trying to finish 5th in the East with this type of offense. We should take notes from the team we played today and model ourselves after them. An offense that is very balanced and can dominate both lines of scrimmage. I am so over watching 4 and 5 WR and dinking and dunking our way down the field. We either throw short or just throw it up to see if one of our WR can go up and get the ball. We see no intermediate routes that go out 10-20 yards to keep the defense off balance. I would love to see us go after the type of OL that Iowa gets and use 2 TE or a full back as well and have a QB that plays under the center.
It is hard to look prepared when you are being knocked off of the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: 82IU
I hate to say this but it would take many years to convert to that type of offense if they even could. It does not just happen. It takes years of recruiting and building a philosophy and mentality. Just because you say that is the way you want to play does not mean you are going to have success. I will say it again it is Jared to convince big time recruits to come to IU when on Homecoming against a quality program and the stadium is empty. I don’t care how well coached you are or what your facilities look like it is not gonna happen. So go ahead and blame coaches, admin or anyone else but sooner or later the “fans” have to show up. Prior to Steve Spurrier arriving in Gainesville Florida had very little football success yet still drew 60-70 thousand people. I will not give up on these coaches, these players or this program and if you are a true fan you will stop criticizing and over analyzing and nit picking everything about the program. I have never seen a fan base as critical of EVERYTHING from names on jersey to black and covering speakers on video boards on brand new construction. I understand you want to be winner but good golly enough is enough it is not the end of the season yes we have a tough one again next win then we have games that we have shot in. GO HOOSIERS!!

Fans are not going to show up after a performance like the one we had today, and I can’t blame them. People are not spending hundreds of bucks to watch that crap. It is up to the school to start WINNING first.

Reactions: fpeaugh
Allen needs to be able to control his emotion and realize that he is the HC and he has to be n control of ever aspect of the game.

On an average day his demeanor hurts his team. Today he killed them and was an embarrassment

Fans are not going to show up after a performance like the one we had today, and I can’t blame them. People are not spending hundreds of bucks to watch that crap. It is up to the school to start WINNING first.
It just goes to show that fans like you don’t deserve a winning football program. Blame the school al you want and make all the excuses you want but until there is buy in from everyone especially fans nothing is going to change.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
It just goes to show that fans like you don’t deserve a winning football program. Blame the school al you want and make all the excuses you want but until there is buy in from everyone especially fans nothing is going to change.

I am not spending $100 to watch us get blown out at home by Iowa. No sane person would do that.

Yes, Hep and Mal got fired up plenty at the refs. But other than Mal going off on the refs post-game at UM in '91, I never recall either getting flagged on the sideline. You can say plenty to the refs and get away with it. But not when you are 10-15 yards on the field.

That was one of just many concerns today. Inge's kick coverage team was brutal. D-line bad. Tackling atrocious!! The missed sacks...smh.

Reactions: IUgradman
I hate to say this but it would take many years to convert to that type of offense if they even could. It does not just happen. It takes years of recruiting and building a philosophy and mentality. Just because you say that is the way you want to play does not mean you are going to have success. I will say it again it is Jared to convince big time recruits to come to IU when on Homecoming against a quality program and the stadium is empty. I don’t care how well coached you are or what your facilities look like it is not gonna happen. So go ahead and blame coaches, admin or anyone else but sooner or later the “fans” have to show up. Prior to Steve Spurrier arriving in Gainesville Florida had very little football success yet still drew 60-70 thousand people. I will not give up on these coaches, these players or this program and if you are a true fan you will stop criticizing and over analyzing and nit picking everything about the program. I have never seen a fan base as critical of EVERYTHING from names on jersey to black and covering speakers on video boards on brand new construction. I understand you want to be winner but good golly enough is enough it is not the end of the season yes we have a tough one again next win then we have games that we have shot in. GO HOOSIERS!!
I'm sorry, I'm a design person. I try not to nitpick about stuff I don't really understand, but I can't look at the jumbotron without sirens going off in my head.

I'm sorry, I'm a design person. I try not to nitpick about stuff I don't really understand, but I can't look at the jumbotron without sirens going off in my head.
Hey I understand just trying to make point if I had to look at it much it my bother me too. But I guess my point is do we have to post about it? It just seems like fans nit pick everything and it just gets old. Sorry if I offended u.

Hey I understand just trying to make point if I had to look at it much it my bother me too. But I guess my point is do we have to post about it? It just seems like fans nit pick everything and it just gets old. Sorry if I offended u.
Oh I agree with you, not offended. I really like CTA and believe in this program, and I hate all of the hyperbolic negativity that pops up after a tough game from people who rarely post otherwise. Maybe I need an IU Athletics Aesthetics forum.

Reactions: 76-1
I have not watched CTA conference yet, so don’t know what he said. I don’t really care because those who have never coached don’t understand the emotions that go on in a game and Tom Allen is one of the most passionate guys there are and that is why he is getting guys he gets because they know he cares about them. Sometimes when your guys are not playing well you have to do something to shake up your kids. You can’t just sit back and hope things change. Football is game of emotions and he is not a game manager he is defensive coordinator he is much more invested than most head coaches. I for one hope he never changes. He does not have the luxury of just turning great athletes loose and saying go play. I hope someday he does. I love CTA and this staff and I am sorry for you guys that think you know because you sit in your chairs and question everything and really don’t know all the facts.

We should be better, no question, the D-line is the glaring concern still though, interior D-line, that is. We have very little coming back. We desperately need Leshaun Minor to return.
Yeah we really need Minor to come back and be healthy. And I really hope we get Kristian Williams. Maybe we can get another DL grad transfer.

Reactions: Pigalow
I agree that fans need to show up because recruits won't come to play at a half empty but don't blame the fans for not coming when tickets are $70.00. Charging that much a ticket for this product is not helping either and it is to expensive for a family of 4 to come to many games. It is a vicious circle because it takes great players to win and to get the better players to want to come you need to win games. Also fans will come more often if the product is better and fill the stadium which will help get the better recruits.

Reactions: IUCrazy2
I have watched or listen to the majority of the games for over 40 years so I think I have put in the time to have my own opinion of this program. I am not saying I want Allen fired but to me he needs to change his offensive philosophy and go to more of an offense like Iowa and UW. You say it will take and say so what because what we are doing offensively right now is not working.

Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT