ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Christie on CSPAN

Christie's a stinkin' RINO, Mark!!
Only actual Harding-Coolidge-Hoover-Hoover-Landon-Willkie-Dewey-Dewey-Eisenhower-Eisenhower-Nixon-Goldwater-Nixon-Nixon-Ford-Reagan-Reagan-Bush-Bush-Dole-Bush-Bush-McCain-Romney-Trump-Trump voters have the right to call anyone else a RINO

Only actual Harding-Coolidge-Hoover-Hoover-Landon-Willkie-Dewey-Dewey-Eisenhower-Eisenhower-Nixon-Goldwater-Nixon-Nixon-Ford-Reagan-Reagan-Bush-Bush-Dole-Bush-Bush-McCain-Romney-Trump-Trump voters have the right to call anyone else a RINO
Well that leaves no one then. The oldest (currently) living American was born in 1906. So, in 1920, while she would have had the right to vote (possibly very recently), she would have been too young.

Reactions: Bowlmania
Well that leaves no one then. The oldest (currently) living American was born in 1906. So, in 1920, while she would have had the right to vote (possibly very recently), she would have been too young.
Hmm…
I figured we would get someone wanting to insert Strom in 48 over Dewey.

Reactions: larsIU
You and hooky missed the reference. Let’s just say there was a meme a couple years back comparing athletes of that stature to a certain former President after his physical was released to the public.
I try to erase as much of the dumbassery as possible after they leave office. Need to make room for the current dumbassery without losing any of the important stuff like "where'd I put my keys" and "what day is it".

My comment was tongue-in-cheek. I hope yours is, too.

Btw, I voted for four of the guys on your list, which includes several great men and one huge asshole.

Btw, I voted for four of the guys on your list, which includes several great men and one huge asshole.
Wait, one asshole in the four you voted for? Cuz Nixon and Trump are both on there. And Hoover, well I'm not old enough to opine really but he's seemed at best incompetent.

Wait, one asshole in the four you voted for? Cuz Nixon and Trump are both on there. And Hoover, well I'm not old enough to opine really but he's seemed at best incompetent.
One huge asshole on the list. Nixon (before my time) was a dick, literally and figuratively, but did not rise to the level of assholery we've seen very recently. It took him a while to get there, but Nixon ultimately honored the Constitution and did the right thing.

Reactions: larsIU
One huge asshole on the list. Nixon (before my time) was a dick, literally and figuratively, but did not rise to the level of assholery we've seen very recently. It took him a while to get there, but Nixon ultimately honored the Constitution and did the right thing.
An important distinction to be sure.

Top 3 candidates for Dem nomination in ‘92….Clinton, Brown, Tsongas.
I would’ve of course supported Bush, but I would’ve voted for any of those 3 over Ross Perot or Pat Buchanan.
And people say the Republicans have moved further right than the Democrats have left

I would’ve of course supported Bush, but I would’ve voted for any of those 3 over Ross Perot or Pat Buchanan.
And people say the Republicans have moved further right than the Democrats have left
Well 96 Pub's top 3 was Dole, Buchanan and Forbes. None of those guys wins the Republican nom today either.

There is definitely a realignment going on and it's not entirely left/right, conservative/progressive.

Well 96 Pub's top 3 was Dole, Buchanan and Forbes. None of those guys wins the Republican nom today either.

There is definitely a realignment going on and it's not entirely left/right, conservative/progressive.
Yeah, I'm not sure what the realignment is. There's an argument for college vs. non-college, but that seems too simplistic.

I could also see it as being a rise in small '"l" libertarianism vs. modern welfare state. The problem with that one is that there are big "L" libertarians, the live & let live crowd, and conservatives claiming libertarianism because it makes them seem more hip.

I'd wager it's populist vs. establishment. The problem with populism, at least as we're seeing it now, is that there's not a consistent set of policies to go along with it like in the original populist movement having to do with monetary policy & the labor/management divide.

At the end of the day, the people will coalesce around whatever issues they care about and the parties will adopt one or the other into their platform. What we're seeing now, IMO, is the unfortunate split where the Democrat party, broadly, wants to push all of the reforms on their wish list and the Republican party, broadly, just wants to piss off the libs. Not a great recipe for action of any kind.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the realignment is. There's an argument for college vs. non-college, but that seems too simplistic.

I could also see it as being a rise in small '"l" libertarianism vs. modern welfare state. The problem with that one is that there are big "L" libertarians, the live & let live crowd, and conservatives claiming libertarianism because it makes them seem more hip.

I'd wager it's populist vs. establishment. The problem with populism, at least as we're seeing it now, is that there's not a consistent set of policies to go along with it like in the original populist movement having to do with monetary policy & the labor/management divide.

At the end of the day, the people will coalesce around whatever issues they care about and the parties will adopt one or the other into their platform. What we're seeing now, IMO, is the unfortunate split where the Democrat party, broadly, wants to push all of the reforms on their wish list and the Republican party, broadly, just wants to piss off the libs. Not a great recipe for action of any kind.
Good analysis.

I hate to say it, but I think democracy vs. autocracy has to be included in the discussion.

Reactions: TMFT
You would have voted for Jerry Brown? The guy who was governor of California before Gavin Newsome? The guy my conservative brethren here delighted in calling Governor Moonbeam? That Jerry Brown?

He and a liberal Senator from Massachusetts are your examples for why the Democratic Party has moved far left since 1992?

4axvdp.gif

You would have voted for Jerry Brown? The guy who was governor of California before Gavin Newsome? The guy my conservative brethren here delighted in calling Governor Moonbeam? That Jerry Brown?

He and a liberal Senator from Massachusetts are your examples for why the Democratic Party has moved far left since 1992?

4axvdp.gif
I feel like Biden…I said I would’ve supported Bush, hell I did. Damn I’m old.
Brown wanted a flat tax.
Tsongas wanted to gut anti-trust laws
Give me either of those two over Perot or Buchanan

• Love
Reactions: hoosboot
Nixon cheated and got caught, other than that he had a fairly successful presidency. I find it hilarious how most people only think a president did well because he was/is of same political alliance.

Nixon cheated and got caught, other than that he had a fairly successful presidency. I find it hilarious how most people only think a president did well because he was/is of same political alliance.
Nixon was a pretty brilliant guy, particularly on foreign policy, but he was hella paranoid and that was his downfall. He didn't need to cheat to win that election and then he didn't need to lie about it.

Nixon was a pretty brilliant guy, particularly on foreign policy, but he was hella paranoid and that was his downfall. He didn't need to cheat to win that election and then he didn't need to lie about it.
Watergate was quite a bit before my time, but as I understand it from reading, Nixon didn't even actually know about the break-in, but he participated in the coverup. And that's how they get ya.

Reactions: IUINSB and hoosboot
I feel like Biden…I said I would’ve supported Bush, hell I did. Damn I’m old.
Brown wanted a flat tax.
Tsongas wanted to gut anti-trust laws
Give me either of those two over Perot or Buchanan
Oh, I agree with you. Perot and Buchanan were both too "lacking in temperment" to be President (IMHO). And I actually was surprised that Brown was as solid as he was as Governor of California.

I just thought it was amusing that those were the cards you wanted to play as evidence of the leftward lurch of the Democratic Party. It wasn't even five years ago that Brown was the evidence my conservative friends offered of how far left the Democratic Party is. I think Brown is still on the left flank of the modern Democratic Party. Heck, Hillary is offered as evidence by most of how far left the party is and her husband is the evidence offered by many of the good old days of a moderate Democratic Party.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Heck, Hillary is offered as evidence by most of how far left the party is and her husband is the evidence offered by many of the good old days of a moderate Democratic Party.
But Hillary has nowhere near the people skills and political acumen that Bill does. 2 totally different people.

But Hillary has nowhere near the people skills and political acumen that Bill does. 2 totally different people.
100%. But Spartan wasn't waxing poetic about how the people skills of Democratic politicians have waned. He was nostalgic for the good old days of "moderates" like Jerry Brown, Paul Tsongas, and Bill Clinton. There's precious little light between Bill and Hillary's political positions.

100%. But Spartan wasn't waxing poetic about how the people skills of Democratic politicians have waned. He was nostalgic for the good old days of "moderates" like Jerry Brown, Paul Tsongas, and Bill Clinton. There's precious little light between Bill and Hillary's political positions.
Brown…flat tax
Tsongas…gut anti-trust laws
I would vote for those over Perot and Buchanan

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT