ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Beard

Like the Texans owner when asked about Peyton Manning-with a big smile-We have our QB, Matt Schaub..

Like the Texans owner when asked about Peyton Manning-with a big smile-We have our QB, Matt Schaub..
So, I need a little clarification on this please. Peyton was drafted by the colts in ‘98 and Shaub was the 90th pick in 2004(according to his stats) so are you telling me that after 6 yrs with the colts, they were gonna trade him to the Texans( a conference opponent) for what, draft picks? Cause the colts were turning the corner and becoming competitive and the irsays didn’t want this? Since I lived in Indy at this time I can’t believe someone would say this but you say it did so please, enlighten me

So, I need a little clarification on this please. Peyton was drafted by the colts in ‘98 and Shaub was the 90th pick in 2004(according to his stats) so are you telling me that after 6 yrs with the colts, they were gonna trade him to the Texans( a conference opponent) for what, draft picks? Cause the colts were turning the corner and becoming competitive and the irsays didn’t want this? Since I lived in Indy at this time I can’t believe someone would say this but you say it did so please, enlighten me
No it was when Luck got drafted and Peyton went to Denver and got his second Super Bowl.

Peyton as diminished as he was was still much better than Schaub. Irsay and McNair both disrespected him.

Mike MsDaniel”s recent email answer to Peyton who requested some time for an interview was great. Something like-Time? F@@k yes I got time. You are Peyton f@cking Manning.

Chris Beard and Dusty May both inquire about IU job and I can see Dolson saying (after a 17-14 7-13 year) "We have our 65 year old coach". No thanks
100% IU has never shown the ability to make the right hire at the right time. They are always a year too late of they pass up these guys because IU is just too pure for them.

Reactions: Battimi
Peyton as diminished as he was was still much better than Schaub. Irsay and McNair both disrespected him.

Mike MsDaniel”s recent email answer to Peyton who requested some time for an interview was great. Something like-Time? F@@k yes I got time. You are Peyton f@cking Manning.
The Colts couldn’t have kept Manning in order to get Luck…and would’ve been stupid to pass up on Luck.

Nobody understood this more than Manning did.

Reactions: stollcpa
The Colts couldn’t have kept Manning in order to get Luck…and would’ve been stupid to pass up on Luck.

Nobody understood this more than Manning did.
I am not talking about the change itself, it was some of Irsay’s comments at the time. Some were like-Who’s Peyton Manning.

Was the last rehab successful? Maybe it was due to the drugs.

Last edited:
Reactions: whosyourholydaddy
I remember when he said he would move the Colts if they didn’t approve a helipad at his house for copter ops. How did that turn out?

100% IU has never shown the ability to make the right hire at the right time. They are always a year too late of they pass up these guys because IU is just too pure for them.
Could just be the fever-pitch, perennial commitment to mediocrity that has been a cornerstone of the program over the past 20+ years.

Reactions: IUgradman
He has had Houston looking good the last couple years.
He has won at every stop----And, the bigger the program, the bigger he has won.

Montan Tech; 73-44
Washington State: 103-103: He rebuilt there BIG. Was 30-58 first 3 years. Lat four went 73-45.
Oklahoma: 280-108. Missed one NCAAT in 10 seasons. Three S16, E8 and a FF.
Indiana: 43-15
Houston: 244-74. Another great rebuild. 4 SW16's, 2 E8's and a FF

Dude wins

the timing on Sampson was right.

rules be damned but we might have had #6 by now if he'd stayed

but someone had to tattle on him
He shouldn’t have been hired at all. The promise that he would change his ways and follow the rules was a lie, just as I thought it was when he was hired. He proved to be exactly what he was, a man with a dishonorable character who happened to be a decent coach on the floor. I’ve been a big IU fan since the late 60s and attended IU when IU won the ‘81 championship. Despite living as far from Indiana as the Middle East and Japan and having several deployments at sea, I followed IU for every game and had all the games recorded and sent to me so I could watch them days or weeks later. The only time I didn’t care about IU basketball very much and watched the games with little to no enthusiasm was during the Sampson era. I expected him to show his true character and destroy IU basketball and he did.

Those who pine for Sampson reveal their character too.

He has won at every stop----And, the bigger the program, the bigger he has won.

Montan Tech; 73-44
Washington State: 103-103: He rebuilt there BIG. Was 30-58 first 3 years. Lat four went 73-45.
Oklahoma: 280-108. Missed one NCAAT in 10 seasons. Three S16, E8 and a FF.
Indiana: 43-15
Houston: 244-74. Another great rebuild. 4 SW16's, 2 E8's and a FF

Dude wins
Dude proved to be a man of low character.

Reactions: Ladoga
Dude proved to be a man of low character.
Which precisely covers roughly half, if not more, of todays CBB coaches. But hey at least through the 20-13 seasons, no post seasons, NIT's and 2nd round blowouts, we here at IU can hang our hat on----"At least our guys were of high character...." Meanwhile, we fall further and further down the totem pole. Meanwhile the Dukes, KU's, UNC's, UK's of the CBB world, continue to win. Look my man, the game has changed----exponentially. NIL has changed the game....as has the transfer portal. If IU wants to compete, well it might have to get its precious hands a little, "dirty".

Do I advocate cheating, low character, etc....?? Well of course I don't; former service member myself. So high character, morals, etc, etc...remain high on my list.

BUT.....There are times when you have to accept the mud that comes with the rain. THis holier than thou approach by some, especially in todays sports world, is being naïve to what the game has become. This isn't 1981 anymore.

Which precisely covers roughly half, if not more, of todays CBB coaches. But hey at least through the 20-13 seasons, no post seasons, NIT's and 2nd round blowouts, we here at IU can hang our hat on----"At least our guys were of high character...." Meanwhile, we fall further and further down the totem pole. Meanwhile the Dukes, KU's, UNC's, UK's of the CBB world, continue to win. Look my man, the game has changed----exponentially. NIL has changed the game....as has the transfer portal. If IU wants to compete, well it might have to get its precious hands a little, "dirty".

Do I advocate cheating, low character, etc....?? Well of course I don't; former service member myself. So high character, morals, etc, etc...remain high on my list.

BUT.....There are times when you have to accept the mud that comes with the rain. THis holier than thou approach by some, especially in todays sports world, is being naïve to what the game has become. This isn't 1981 anymore.
I think it's possible to find the best of both worlds: high character AND coaching ability. Mark Few, Brad Stevens, Jay Wright, et al.

IU seemed to nail the high character part with Woody's hire. Unfortunately, swing and a miss when it comes to coaching.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Yes....Sampson was crooked. But.......IU damm near got the Death Penalty....while UNC, Kansas and UK skate right along. Now, granted....IU fell on the sword and made matters worse. But.....there is no integrity or equal justice in the NCAA. They are a mockery.

Yes....Sampson was crooked. But.......IU damm near got the Death Penalty....while UNC, Kansas and UK skate right along. Now, granted....IU fell on the sword and made matters worse. But.....there is no integrity or equal justice in the NCAA. They are a mockery.
I hate to say it but the truth is the NCAA has taught us to just shut up and don't admit anything. Take the 5th or whatever they let you do in the B1G or NCAA business office.

Reactions: Zeke7
What are you talking about? IU didn't nearly get "the Death Penalty." Nothing of the sort. They basically would've gotten a minor slap on the wrist at worst. They essentially blew up their own program themselves. The sports administration of IU has been a disaster for decades.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT