ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Beard

He shouldn’t have been hired at all. The promise that he would change his ways and follow the rules was a lie, just as I thought it was when he was hired. He proved to be exactly what he was, a man with a dishonorable character who happened to be a decent coach on the floor. I’ve been a big IU fan since the late 60s and attended IU when IU won the ‘81 championship. Despite living as far from Indiana as the Middle East and Japan and having several deployments at sea, I followed IU for every game and had all the games recorded and sent to me so I could watch them days or weeks later. The only time I didn’t care about IU basketball very much and watched the games with little to no enthusiasm was during the Sampson era. I expected him to show his true character and destroy IU basketball and he did.

Those who pine for Sampson reveal their character too.
Anyone who was a big RMK fan can't sit here and claim some kind of moral superiority. It rings of massive hypocrisy. I loved to watch RMK's teams too. They played beautiful basketball. I enjoyed the massive success of the program in the 70s, 80s and early 90s too.

But you going on and about Sampson is a joke. Calling him a "...dishonorable character who happened to be a decent coach" while talking about being a big IU since the late 60s screams of hypocrisy. How honorable were some of RMK's escapades? I mean, none of us who were big RMK fans really have the moral imperative to call out other coaches. Yes, he didn't explicitly cheat, but his behavior was often reprehensible. Yet it was overlooked because he won.

Anyone who was a big RMK fan can't sit here and claim some kind of moral superiority. It rings of massive hypocrisy. I loved to watch RMK's teams too. They played beautiful basketball. I enjoyed the massive success of the program in the 70s, 80s and early 90s too.

But you going on and about Sampson is a joke. Calling him a "...dishonorable character who happened to be a decent coach" while talking about being a big IU since the late 60s screams of hypocrisy. How honorable were some of RMK's escapades? I mean, none of us who were big RMK fans really have the moral imperative to call out other coaches. Yes, he didn't explicitly cheat, but his behavior was often reprehensible. Yet it was overlooked because he won.
He didn’t cheat. Try again.

The problem is that it is there will never be another coach in college basketball the equal of RMK. He was a basketball genius that could win in spite of upholding the highest possible ethical standards of the day. A lot has changed since then including most importantly the ethical standards. Today his efforts would be downright Quixotic. In his day I believe a college education was worth more than it is today. The NBA paying four billion dollars per year in player salaries has also changed the college landscape irrevocably.

I don’t believe there is any divine rule that governs college basketball specifically and so society rightfully determines what is acceptable and actually I support the payment of players in todays conditions as society has determined is acceptable. I know there will never be, and never was, a coach I admire more than RMK but a different college basketball world now. For IU it changed the day he was fired and amazingly his basketball took place in a far harsher/different ethical environment than today.

RMK is not walking through that door.

When St Peter judges today’s college bball coaches I believe he will look favorably on those that took care of their players financially and don’t believe sending extra text messages will be grounds for eternal damnation.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbmhoosier
Maybe there is some warrior code that would preclude paying college players or sending extra text messages but I don’t know of it. I agree felonies by players not acceptable, and a couple programs have an issue complying even with that, but paying players-no issue and in my view even higher ethically considering current conditions.

Maybe there is some warrior code that would preclude paying college players or sending extra text messages but I don’t know of it. I agree felonies by players not acceptable, and a couple programs have an issue complying even with that, but paying players-no issue and in my view even higher ethically considering current conditions.
When it was against the rules it was dishonorable. That's just the way it is. If you don't expect integrity and honesty, that's your thing.

Last edited:
He has won at every stop----And, the bigger the program, the bigger he has won.

Montan Tech; 73-44
Washington State: 103-103: He rebuilt there BIG. Was 30-58 first 3 years. Lat four went 73-45.
Oklahoma: 280-108. Missed one NCAAT in 10 seasons. Three S16, E8 and a FF.
Indiana: 43-15
Houston: 244-74. Another great rebuild. 4 SW16's, 2 E8's and a FF

Dude wins
And he's still a crook. No number of wins is justification for hiring a crook. He's the same old crook he's always been.

When it was against the rules it was dishonorable. That's just the way it is. If you don't integrity and honesty, that's your thing.
Beating the piss out of the kids physically and mentally tho, honorable as shit!! Lol.

Beating the piss out of the kids physically and mentally tho, honorable as shit!! Lol.
Various hunting infractions and hitting people with pellets while bird hunting and not reporting as required also honorable I guess. There aren’t many that in all honesty can claim they Never broke any rule.

Reactions: Cavanagh
And he's still a crook. No number of wins is justification for hiring a crook. He's the same old crook he's always been.
Probably. Houston been on probation numerous times since his hiring .

Oh, wait ...

Some of y'all ,man.

Btw, being a crook is legal now

Reactions: dr.jb
Notice, with very few exceptions, how RMK’s former players loved him? He was tough, but he didn’t beat his players.
How many former players you ever heard say they didn't like their college coach?

Cals former dudes at UK live him. Should we applaud Cal as well. I mean pretty sure he's never beaten any of his kids either.

No one’s perfect, but honor and integrity should be an expectation, not an exception.
Wanna know how many illegal , not so honest shit we did while in the service---tonget the job done? You're a former military dude. You know. And if ya don't, then you weren't doing anything important enough.

What limit is there on integrity and honor? Is it ok to bend such, when it's benefits? You're ok with breaking rules, being dishonest, pushing integrity, when it benefits yourself?

College basketball is a fukin business. It's not 1978, when the NCAAT wasn't even televised .Or at least , in delay. I recall many IU games in the tournament, that were on delayed broadcast. Times have changed. This is a billion dollar business now. Kids getting paid millions to play the game, at said school.

Some of y'all need to realize this.

Reactions: birdforbogey
How many former players you ever heard say they didn't like their college coach?

Cals former dudes at UK live him. Should we applaud Cal as well. I mean pretty sure he's never beaten any of his kids either.
There was more than just "like" between RMK and his former players. There was a lot of loyalty, respect and love. Remember his return at the PU game? Have you listened to Woodson, Wittman, I. Thomas, Buckner, AJ Guyton, Lewis, Cheney, etc. whenever they talk about RMK? Did you catch any of the video testimonies and commentaries from his former players after he died? If you haven't, you should.

You're losing the point - RMK didn't cheat. Not only did Sampson cheat at Oklahoma, he promised he wouldn't cheat at IU so he could get the job. Soon after he deliberately committed the same violations proving he was the cheater and liar many of us thought he was and would be even after being hired at IU. The man has little honor or integrity. Those defending him are shining a harsh light on themselves. It's not a good sight.

Last edited:
Wanna know how many illegal , not so honest shit we did while in the service---tonget the job done? You're a former military dude. You know. And if ya don't, then you weren't doing anything important enough.

What limit is there on integrity and honor? Is it ok to bend such, when it's benefits? You're ok with breaking rules, being dishonest, pushing integrity, when it benefits yourself?

College basketball is a fukin business. It's not 1978, when the NCAAT wasn't even televised .Or at least , in delay. I recall many IU games in the tournament, that were on delayed broadcast. Times have changed. This is a billion dollar business now. Kids getting paid millions to play the game, at said school.

Some of y'all need to realize this.
I can't say that I ever did anything illegal or dishonest while in the service and can't think of a single instance when I'd have needed to in order to get the job done, and we got the job done throughout my 26 years. I was a senior officer, so much of what I did was important enough. I'd love to hear some examples of the illegal and dishonest stuff you did while in the military.

Also, what the game is now and what it was when Sampson was cheating and Knight was not, is irrelevant.

Reactions: Spartans9312

Nobody was complaining about knight back when he was winning titles and going to final fours. It only started after he was not winning big anymore. Eveything you say is correct.

Reactions: birdforbogey
Beating the piss out of them? If he indeed beat the piss out of them he would have been charged for abuse and would have to have gone to court. What are the examples of him beating the piss out of them?

I can't say that I ever did anything illegal or dishonest while in the service and can't think of a single instance when I'd have needed to in order to get the job done, and we got the job done throughout my 26 years. I was a senior officer, so much of what I did was important enough. I'd love to hear some examples of the illegal and dishonest stuff you did while in the military.

Also, what the game is now and what it was when Sampson was cheating and Knight was not, is irrelevant.
It is pertinent. It isn’t ancient history and acts that were against rules at the time are pardoned later in light of current circumstances and with the high value of hindsight. As an example I saw numerous drug offenders recently received presidential pardons for their convictions. They weren’t judged on the basis of dishonorable acts, and not because they sent too many text messages, but on the basis of infractions that in hindsight are not reasonably considered subject to criminal law.

It is pertinent. It isn’t ancient history and acts that were against rules at the time are pardoned later in light of current circumstances and with the high value of hindsight. As an example I saw numerous drug offenders recently received presidential pardons for their convictions. They weren’t judged on the basis of dishonorable acts, and not because they sent too many text messages, but on the basis of infractions that in hindsight are not reasonably considered subject to criminal law.
No, it's not pertinent. Sampson knew what the rules were and that he broke them at Oklahoma. He promised IU that he would not break the rules at IU. I know this because the IU President sent a letter to me saying this. The Sampson knowingly broke the same rules and his promise demonstrating that he was the dishonest cheater we thought he was. That the rules have changed doesn't excuse or erase his behavior at the time, for which he was barred from coaching in the NCAA for 5 years.

Those voided championships..Are a complete joke.
Millions watched in March..They saw who won..
You can't un ring the bell..
Can't hang a banner, can't mention it on their website, isn't in the record books, it's forever tainted. In a few years it will be forgotten by most. Don't need that crap, do we?

No, it's not pertinent. Sampson knew what the rules were and that he broke them at Oklahoma. He promised IU that he would not break the rules at IU. I know this because the IU President sent a letter to me saying this. The Sampson knowingly broke the same rules and his promise demonstrating that he was the dishonest cheater we thought he was. That the rules have changed doesn't excuse or erase his behavior at the time, for which he was barred from coaching in the NCAA for 5 years.
I just pointed out how it can be pertinent, and often is, in society at large and college basketball is part of society at large. It comes as a shock to many that the NCAA has to comply with the laws and protections of US law and that many of their regulations were egregious violations of those laws and protections.

I just pointed out how it can be pertinent, and often is, in society at large and college basketball is part of society at large. It comes as a shock to many that the NCAA has to comply with the laws and protections of US law and that many of their regulations were egregious violations of those laws and protections.
That drug crime pardon program you're talking about isn't automatic. I read about it a few days ago and to qualify the people have to have done their time, be crime free for years after getting out of prison (I think it is 5 or 10 years, I think), have a job or show why they can't have one, and otherwise demonstrate that they're striving to be good law-abiding citizens. I don't think it's a federal program and is going on in a handful of states.

If Sampson wants to apply for an NCAA pardon (doubt one exists) and can demonstrate he's following current rules and is an honest non-cheating coach, more power to him. Good luck.

Can't hang a banner, can't mention it on their website, isn't in the record books, it's forever tainted. In a few years it will be forgotten by most. Don't need that crap, do we?
You can go on you tube and watch the game and see them win if you want. It still happened. As far as not needing that crap we really do not have to worry we have been to one final four in 31 years. We will not have to worry about about a title being take anyway anytime soon, at least not with the current coach. S16 is his ceiling imo.

Beating the piss? Stfu
Beating the puke be a better phrase? I mean I’m all for it but Knight had multiple players quit and leave because of his abuse. We forget about this?? No dinner, run around and puke in the trash cans. Lol. He would have been in jail today for what he did, and that’s not a stretch.

The NCAA regulations for text messages were only in place from 2007 until 2013. Before or after no restrictions except for freshman in high school after 2013. As best I know KS was the only one sanctioned in the deservedly short span of this regulation.

Beating the puke be a better phrase? I mean I’m all for it but Knight had multiple players quit and leave because of his abuse. We forget about this?? No dinner, run around and puke in the trash cans. Lol. He would have been in jail today for what he did, and that’s not a stretch.
Beat the piss out of them? It’s called tough love? Discipline. Not everyone was made for it.. they transferred. In jail? For what?

You can go on you tube and watch the game and see them win if you want. It still happened. As far as not needing that crap we really do not have to worry we have been to one final four in 31 years. We will not have to worry about about a title being take anyway anytime soon, at least not with the current coach. S16 is his ceiling imo.
No banners, not in the record books. It's forever tainted.

I watched the game. I got to a few UofL games every year with my family members that have season tickets. Except the last two years since they've sucked and UofL fans don't show up when they're not good.

You'd think his transfer rate was the highest in the Big Ten. Not even close.

Yes, it's a big stretch . . .

The NCAA regulations for text messages were only in place from 2007 until 2013. Before or after no restrictions except for freshman in high school after 2013. As best I know KS was the only one sanctioned in the deservedly short span of this regulation.
Could it be he was the ONLY one sanctioned because the NCAA had long known he was a cheater and he had promised not to repeat? Hmmmm ... His violations were rules he knew of, had a compliance officer to oversee his compliance and still he cheated. He didn't start violating rules the day he got to IU, did he? He'd been at it a long time and in several places. Seemed intentional. When you know the rules, know the penalties for violations and still violate and try to hide it you have no complaint about getting punished and no one should excuse you.

Could it be he was the ONLY one sanctioned because the NCAA had long known he was a cheater and he had promised not to repeat? Hmmmm ... His violations were rules he knew of, had a compliance officer to oversee his compliance and still he cheated. He didn't start violating rules the day he got to IU, did he? He'd been at it a long time and in several places. Seemed intentional. When you know the rules, know the penalties for violations and still violate and try to hide it you have no complaint about getting punished and no one should excuse you.
No I don’t believe that. I believe he was the only one reported to the NCAA.

There was more than just "like" between RMK and his former players. There was a lot of loyalty, respect and love. Remember his return at the PU game? Have you listened to Woodson, Wittman, I. Thomas, Buckner, AJ Guyton, Lewis, Cheney, etc. whenever they talk about RMK? Did you catch any of the video testimonies and commentaries from his former players after he died? If you haven't, you should.

You're losing the point - RMK didn't cheat. Not only did Sampson cheat at Oklahoma, he promised he wouldn't cheat at IU so he could get the job. Soon after he deliberately committed the same violations proving he was the cheater and liar many of us thought he was and would be even after being hired at IU. The man has little honor or integrity. Those defending him are shining a harsh light on themselves. It's not a good sight.
There is a difference between condoning, and accepting. Sort of like, reality and dream land.

Nobody was complaining about knight back when he was winning titles and going to final fours. It only started after he was not winning big anymore. Eveything you say is correct.
Again, there is a difference between condoning and accepting. Thing is, when RMK no longer was winning---as in FF's/titles, IU didn't do either.

I love Coach. He had a very good side to him. He was also a complete ass. And a bully....And didn't abide his own set of "morals". If he did not like you, he did not respect you---That's not how that should work....Like, ever.

Reactions: CriticArisen

1. Senior officer----That explains sentence #1.

2. And no you wouldn't(love to hear stories). From what I have gathered from you, I tell you some stories, youd probably piss on the military altogether..

Again, there is a difference between condoning and accepting. Thing is, when RMK no longer was winning---as in FF's/titles, IU didn't do either.

I love Coach. He had a very good side to him. He was also a complete ass. And a bully....And didn't abide his own set of "morals". If he did not like you, he did not respect you---That's not how that should work....Like, ever.
I dont think anyone actually condoned the behavior at all for the most part anyway. Would they have still fired him in 2000 in he had just made the final four? Maybe because Brand was way different. But no way 10 years before that would they have fired him. Look at Penn State they turned a blind eye basically on the way way worse child abuse stuff for years becasue joe won. Sick but true.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT