ADVERTISEMENT

Chicken Noodle Soup For Your Soul

I love the audience and judge support and the way it affected him.
I am attending a sled hockey tournament with my son this weekend. He’s playing in the novice division and all of of the players have significant physical disabilities/challenges. To the see the joy on the faces of the kids who scored their first goals was soul-feeding. My son’s friend, who was born with severe disabilities in all four limbs scored the game winning goal. His mom was in tears, you could hear her son’s yell throughout the arena, and the smile on his face was just as big half an hour later.

And the juniors (more experienced players, but still with significant physical disabilities) have been amazing. Incredible speed and agility, with absolute fearless abandon. To see a 75 pound 14 year old girl, who is maybe 4 feet tall, take down a 200+ pound young man and pop right up with the puck will make any hockey fan excited. Or a goalie who has cerebral palsy snagging pucks out of the air with his glove, well that’s great hockey.

It’s been a very uplifting day, with more to come tomorrow.

I am attending a sled hockey tournament with my son this weekend. He’s playing in the novice division and all of of the players have significant physical disabilities/challenges. To the see the joy on the faces of the kids who scored their first goals was soul-feeding. My son’s friend, who was born with severe disabilities in all four limbs scored the game winning goal. His mom was in tears, you could hear her son’s yell throughout the arena, and the smile on his face was just as big half an hour later.

And the juniors (more experienced players, but still with significant physical disabilities) have been amazing. Incredible speed and agility, with absolute fearless abandon. To see a 75 pound 14 year old girl, who is maybe 4 feet tall, take down a 200+ pound young man and pop right up with the puck will make any hockey fan excited. Or a goalie who has cerebral palsy snagging pucks out of the air with his glove, well that’s great hockey.

That's a great post.

"His mom was in tears, you could hear her son’s yell throughout the arena, and the smile on his face was just as big half an hour later."

My grandson plays AA hockey. I never appreciated hockey moms until watching my daughter and other moms at the games.

cf4c508b8ab10884ea7ed6661a201950--hockey-moms-hockey-mom-quotes.jpg

His friend watching was almost as good. On that note, I’m going to bed. Ending on a note like this , instead of the Native America hazing or Nazi signs.

That's a great post.

"His mom was in tears, you could hear her son’s yell throughout the arena, and the smile on his face was just as big half an hour later."

My grandson plays AA hockey. I never appreciated hockey moms until watching my daughter and other moms at the games.

cf4c508b8ab10884ea7ed6661a201950--hockey-moms-hockey-mom-quotes.jpg
You got that right about hockey moms. This was my first time experiencing them. One of the players on our junior team got a penalty and his mom literally ran down from the stands to take a picture of him in the box! And they’re are a couple of moms from other teams whose voices I will probably hear in my sleep for at least the next few days.

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
A brief follow-up. Yesterday’s games were at the secondary rink attached to the NHL arena in Columbus. Bob Seger had a concert there last night. He apparently was walking by in the arena concourse where there are some windows looking down on the secondary rink and he stopped to watch one of the games. He was so impressed by what he saw that he sent down some backstage passes for the people running the tournament along with 175 concert tee shirts for the players!

Finished up with a win this morning and drove home 100+ miles on some roads in bad shape. Should be exhausted but I think I am still on a bit of an adrenaline rush from a great two days with my son.

A brief follow-up. Yesterday’s games were at the secondary rink attached to the NHL arena in Columbus. Bob Seger had a concert there last night. He apparently was walking by in the arena concourse where there are some windows looking down on the secondary rink and he stopped to watch one of the games. He was so impressed by what he saw that he sent down some backstage passes for the people running the tournament along with 175 concert tee shirts for the players!

Finished up with a win this morning and drove home 100+ miles on some roads in bad shape. Should be exhausted but I think I am still on a bit of an adrenaline rush from a great two days with my son.

Good on Bob. And good on your family for what sounds like a fantastic weekend! Youth sports are so incredibly revealing about what's important in life and what's not. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Some of you may be wondering what sled hockey looks like. Here's a a taste. The young man on the right spends his days in a wheelchair. I believe that the young man on the left does as well.

But they both have wings when they're on the ice - they fly. Watching these two compete yesterday was magical.

20190119%20093-2-L.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: zeke4ahs

You wrote: To see a 75 pound14 year old girl, who is maybe 4 feet tall, take down a 200+ pound young man and pop right up with the puck will make any hockey fan excited."

Sorry. That's too toxic for me.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT