ADVERTISEMENT

Chicago politics and events

Perhaps, but how do you allocate cause to that vs all of the vandalism and theft issues that have been going on the past year or two on Michigan and State?

I have no idea since I don't live there, but vandalism and theft to buildings that have been abandoned isn't some new phenomenon. It's been going on since I was young and can remember seeing buildings with no businesses in them just like this.

It's not unique to Chicago.

Perhaps, but how do you allocate cause to that vs all of the vandalism and theft issues that have been going on the past year or two on Michigan and State?
Covid and WFH didn't help either. I would be interested to see data on how many fewer people commute in and out of the loop on a daily basis. I wouldn't be surprised if it has been nearly halved since 2019.

I have no idea since I don't live there, but vandalism and theft to buildings that have been abandoned isn't some new phenomenon. It's been going on since I was young and can remember seeing buildings with no businesses in them just like this.

It's not unique to Chicago.

You aren’t understanding… these are causes of abandonment. There have been dozens of high profile smash and grabs (robbery crews crash a stolen car into Louis Vuitton and steal a bunch of stuff).

You aren’t understanding… these are causes of abandonment. There have been dozens of high profile smash and grabs (robbery crews crash a stolen car into Louis Vuitton and steal a bunch of stuff).

That's not what that video is showing at all.

Its showing a bunch of closed stores. When did they close? I have no idea and neither do you, yet you are jumping to smash and grabs when the video has no evidence of that at all.

I would make the argument foot traffic dwindled because of online shopping to the point that thr businesses couldn't survive.

Chicago: Mayor Brandon Johnson ends the use of ShotSpotter because it "disproportionately targets minorities."

Brandon Johnson hates data

percent_black_latinx_color.jpeg

sst_by_beat_2022-07-16_color-01.jpeg

Reactions: DANC
These people aren’t struggling financially.

iPhones in their back pocket, designer kicks on, chilling in a stupid Loop club for some downtime.

Can we stop deluding ourselves that the black violence problem has an economic source?
Its the Urban economic source has a violence problem. The elephant in the room. Just sayin, brah.

I've built a certain character on here, I know that.
I've also been very vocal supporting that, no matter where you go, NO MATTER, we all want the same damn things. Different twist maybe, but it's all the same thing.
I've been following this dude, maybe forget who you think I am, and just tag along. Or not?
This is just a piece that I thought fit into this thread, but this MF'r goes every where across America. I enjoy it all.

It just keeps getting better...

I somewhat admire the brazen defiance shown by her, Cori Bush, Marilyn Mosby, Fani Willis, et al.

Get caught in blatant corruption and just keep on truckin. Decades of preferential treatment and having the bar lowered for them in the work place has made black women think that they're invincible and impervious to criticism.

I’d be surprised if my building is 50% full
It's going to take a while for commercial real estate to recover after the pandemic. I'm not sure why you're so depressed. Chicago's downtown is the fastest growing in the nation.

It's going to take a while for commercial real estate to recover after the pandemic. I'm not sure why you're so depressed. Chicago's downtown is the fastest growing in the nation.
Where did I say I was depressed?

Interesting. I would assume this largely due to massive condo/ apartment development in the South Loop. Never understood why people would want to live down there but it is growing.

What I'm lamenting is one of worlds great business districts dying a slow death.

Interesting. I would assume this largely due to massive condo/ apartment development in the South Loop. Never understood why people would want to live down there but it is growing.

What I'm lamenting is one of worlds great business districts dying a slow death.
There are a lot of old office buildings in Chicago. That hasn't stopped construction of mixed use buildings. Google is building their new offices where the ugliest building in Chicago is now (Thompson Center). On LaSalle and Randolph

Thompson-Center-Plaza-Rendering-December-2023-scaled.jpg

Looks pretty cool and it's right in the business district of the loop.

As of 2019 there were 49 high rises under construction in Chicago. That is going to put a dent in occupancy in offices with outdated infrastructure.

West Loop is booming too.

It’s an interesting question: will the Loop be better if it is more residential? It could make for a livelier social scene, nearer the action of downtown venues.

The problem is that in the short-term, the next 5-10 years, that’s going to be a painful transition for most of those downtown high rises. And the city isn’t going to make it easy with their regulations.

An example: my building wanted to convert about 50-75% of its space to high end residential but the city wouldn’t allow it unless they added a certain percentage of low income housing, too, and the owner figured it wouldn’t work financially so is just waiting things out, I guess.

South LOOP. West LOOP.

If you hate Chicago, leave.
I'm trying to figure out how to delineate neighborhoods. Why would that trigger such a response?

And by the way, you're wrong (again). They are separate neighborhoods:

I'm trying to figure out how to delineate neighborhoods. Why would that trigger such a response?

And by the way, you're wrong (again). They are separate neighborhoods:

Thanks, Professor MapQuest!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT